Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
For the 6, I bought the Plus. Was way too big, I was unable to use it with one hand efficiently, so when the 6S came around, I got the regular. The battery life was awful and I only made it 6 months. I got really sick of having to constantly tether my phone to a charger all day long or have a dead battery by 9PM. I switched to a Plus, and while I still absolutely hate not being able to use it with one hand and having it hang halfway out of my pockets, the battery life is the key.

This time around, I ordered both the 7 and 7 Plus. Since I got Jet Black, the regular 7 will come tomorrow and the Plus will be around the 22nd. From the reports I've read, the regular 7 should get around the same battery as what the old 6S Plus was getting. If that's the case then I'll gladly stick with the 7, the size is just way more usable even though I enjoy the big screen.

For me, absolute perfection is when jailbroken being able to use the 4.7" phone with 1080p resolution with Upscale. Gives awesome sharpness and lets you fit more on the screen, I really hope Apple takes a cue from Android Nougat and eventually puts a slider in for DPI to let those of us that want it up the res.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I've thought about that, but it's quite the price to pay to run with your phone. With the regular sized iPhone, I feel like I can use an inexpensive running belt or armband. I tried a running belt with my Plus and it was just too large - the length is close to half the width of my body (I'm obviously not a very large person).

Well let's analyze it:

1. A Gym Sack costs: $10 - $30 depending on brand and style. I saw some nice Nike ones on Amazon for like $15 or less.

2. Bluetooth wireless headphones: $40 - $299

3. Apple watch not necessary but I like being able to get alerts from alarm system and stuff on my watch while my phone is in the sack.

Last edited:

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
I used the 6 a full year and then the 6S. I tried the plus size here and there and always quickly went back. This year I preordered the 7 Plus hoping I can adapt in order to enjoy the larger screen and camera zoom.

That said, I personally am happy that both phones are more similar than ever. I've shown before, my hands are larger than paper plates and while the plus looks more natural in my hand, the 4.7 is lighter and less intrusive. If the plus bugs me, to the 7 I'll go.

I've had the same experience, but this time I'm sticking to the plus for the larger screen and font, better camera, battery, and ( slightly) larger stereo speaker separation. The speaker chamber might be slightly larger too. You have to keep the phone for 13 days before a decision that 14th day....

Reactions: The.Glorious.Son

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
1fe31f0d337e0210ef34846a83fb5ebd.jpg

Thanks, I see it's about the same.

I was able to locate the sizes of the batteries for the different iPhones.

7 1960 mAh 7 plus 2900 mAh
6s 1715 mAh 6s plus 2750 mAh
6 1810 mAh 6 plus 2915 mAh

ETA: I had the samsung chip in my iphone 6s plus not the TMSC which had the better batery life. I wonder how good will the battery life be with the iOS 10 because I heard that it is draining people's batteries really bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dreamliner330

unixunderground

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2011
Aaarggh..
I am first in line at my local store with both 7 and 7+ jet black and black in stock.

Still can't seem to decide what to get when it opens in 2 hours.

I really want the bokeh camera and optical zoom, but I mislike not being able to use the phone one handed.

I had a 6+ which I ended up selling for a 6 and then a 6S, the size of which I find to be perfect.

The 6+ was clumsy and really uncomfortable to type on with one hand and to make swipe gestures from the sides of the screen.
On top of that even with large hands I found it rather unergomic and could never grip it securely.

I am leaning towards the 7 for this reason but at the same time I really fancy a bit bigger, higher dpi screen and the dual camera/bokeh is really sexy too, as well as the longer battery life and more ram.

Why can't they just make both phones with the same features...

I'd happily pay more than the 7+ price for a normal 7 with the same features.
They could even get away with it by saying that miniaturization costs more.

What to do?!? I am torn...

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Aaarggh..
I am first in line at my local store with both 7 and 7+ jet black and black in stock.

I really want the bokeh camera and optical zoom, but I mislike not being able to use the phone one handed.

I had a 6+ which I ended up selling for a 6 and then a 6S, the size of which I find to be perfect.

The 6+ was clumsy and really uncomfortable to type on with one hand and to make swipe gestures from the sides of the screen.
On top of that even with large hands I found it rather unergomic and could never grip it securely.

I am leaning towards the 7 for this reason but at the same time I really fancy a bit bigger, higher dpi screen and the dual camera/bokeh is really sexy too, as well as the longer battery life and more ram.

Bokeh feature can be done with 3rd party photo editing apps. Go with the 7 because that is what feels comfortable for you. 1 feature shouldn't trump comfort and portability. 3GB RAM probably won't be noticeable. You can buy the battery case for $99.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Aaarggh..

Get the 7.

I'm in the same boat, though I went with the 6S+. I'm getting the 7 this time around.

I think I got the 6S+ because of FOMO, I didn't want to lose the missing features and hearing everyone say the plus is 'better'. I didn't want to get the phone that was 'worse'. But I've put up with a huge phone for the last year. Not this time.

The zoom isn't worth it, I've never felt the need to zoom on my iPhone before. I also use a fixed lens on my DSLR, and appreciate that limitation. Also the bokeh is a fake software effect, which can be achieved with filters. How often do you really take portraits? For me the big screen is nice, but not worth the hassle.

I've said this in another thread, but I'll reconsider the Plus when they can make it a physically smaller device, like the s7 edge.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
For me, absolute perfection is when jailbroken being able to use the 4.7" phone with 1080p resolution with Upscale. Gives awesome sharpness and lets you fit more on the screen, I really hope Apple takes a cue from Android Nougat and eventually puts a slider in for DPI to let those of us that want it up the res.
Interesting. It did not know that 4.7" was already capable of 1080p display! Where can I download "Upscale"? I know a couple of high school nerds that probably can jail break an iPhone too if needed. They always talking about stuff like that too.

Sometime later.....
I Google "Upscale" and found several links on it! It pretty cool to say it bluntly! If this works on my 6S, I not going to get the 7+! Thank for the info! I am very excited! Glad I did not upgrade my iOS for my 6S!

Last edited:

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011

I agree completely. I view the size of the plus as a negative which outweighs any other benefits.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
I agree completely. I view the size of the plus as a negative which outweighs any other benefits.
Just remember other similar size smartphones have these features years ago in the same size smartphones. Apple just holding back technology so they can continue to supply new features to each upgrade without having to do much R&D since all they have to do is get a current Samsung and LG or Motorola smartphone and just improve upon their technology a couple of years down the road and put it into the + model and then the following year maybe into the smaller iPhones. It cost them very little to do and it completely brand new to the iPhone buyer!

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011
Just remember other similar size smartphones have these features years ago in the same size smartphones. Apple just holding back technology so they can continue to supply new features to each upgrade without having to do much R&D since all they have to do is get a current Samsung and LG or Motorola smartphone and just improve upon their technology a couple of years down the road and put it into the + model and then the following year maybe into the smaller iPhones. It cost them very little to do and it completely brand new to the iPhone buyer!
Whatever their doing is working. My 6 is faster than a Note 5. I had both. Android lag is real, yo. (And I thought my 6 on iOS 8.3 had lots of stutters compared to my 5 on iOS 6.1.2).

Both iPhone 7's will smear the sidewalk with any other smartphone in benchmarks and speed tests.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Whatever their doing is working. My 6 is faster than a Note 5. I had both. Android lag is real, yo. (And I thought my 6 on iOS 8.3 had lots of stutters compared to my 5 on iOS 6.1.2).

Both iPhone 7's will smear the sidewalk with any other smartphone in benchmarks and speed tests.
Apple iPhone system the best since they design their own chips and can tune their operations system to match the hardware, it very competitive and as of yet, miles ahead of Andriod with the Qualcomm SOC offerings!

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2009
Actually, the Plus has better PPI than the 7.
It does but I had the 6 and the 6 Plus at the same time and I couldn't tell the difference with resolution because the PPI might be a bit higher but it's also slightly more 'zoomed in' with slightly bigger icons and text so I think the increase in PPI allows for this and the much larger screen size showing more space between the icons on the home screen. I couldn't see the pixels on either. Also those who think that PPI makes all the difference, bear in mind that the PPI on the iPad Pro is lower than both of these and everyone says that's a wonderful display. PPI makes a difference but so does screen size.

Reactions: THE JUICEMAN

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2009
Don't forget about the software differences. The Plus can do the Home screen in landscape. Messages, Mail, & third-party apps show a two-pane view in landscape only on the Plus. There are even more functions on the landscape keyboard. It's silly that Apple keeps some landscape features only for the Plus.
All that aside, I've dropped my 6S Plus more than all my other iPhones combined due to its slippery shape and big size. I'm counting on the extra 2 hours of battery life in the 7 to be close to the 6S Plus. I'm looking forward to better one-handed use and no more shuffling the phone up and down in my hand to reach the corners of the screen.
The landscape orientation is good for the Plus but in my experience you don't use it all the time, the iPhone is made as a vertical use phone, every app opens in portrait orientation so you will always find yourself initially holding the phone upright. Even if landscape does feel more comfortable for a few things, it's not the way the apps are designed.

Reactions: THE JUICEMAN

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011
I've got an unused Skinomi body protector for my 6. I'll have to get my knife out and tweak it a bit for the 7.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
It does but I had the 6 and the 6 Plus at the same time and I couldn't tell the difference with resolution because the PPI might be a bit higher but it's also slightly more 'zoomed in' with slightly bigger icons and text so I think the increase in PPI allows for this and the much larger screen size showing more space between the icons on the home screen. I couldn't see the pixels on either. Also those who think that PPI makes all the difference, bear in mind that the PPI on the iPad Pro is lower than both of these and everyone says that's a wonderful display. PPI makes a difference but so does screen size.
Try watch 4K video and you can tell the difference between the two sizes. Really easily even for someone who has poor near vision!

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2009
If you're only buying the plus for the Bokeh effect, bear in mind you can do that to any photo afterwards very easily in photoshop or other apps and also control the amount of blur.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Interesting. It did not know that 4.7" was already capable of 1080p display! Where can I download "Upscale"? I know a couple of high school nerds that probably can jail break an iPhone too if needed. They always talking about stuff like that too.

Sometime later.....
I Google "Upscale" and found several links on it! It pretty cool to say it bluntly! If this works on my 6S, I not going to get the 7+! Thank for the info! I am very excited! Glad I did not upgrade my iOS for my 6S!

repo.bd52.com always used to be the repo that had Upscale on it. Keep in mind though that iOS 10 isn't able to be jailbroken, you have to still be on 9.3.3 if you want to do it. I was more referring to in the future when 10 is inevitably (hopefully) jailbroken. The iPhones both have higher res screens than what is advertised, the image is just scaled down in such a way to give you the "retina" effect by condensing the pixels.

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011
The iPhones both have higher res screens than what is advertised, the image is just scaled down in such a way to give you the "retina" effect by condensing the pixels.
You realize that is not true, right?

I'm sure there is a scaling app that will make things smaller, but the iPhone 6/6S/7 resolution is 1334 x 750. It isn't higher or lower.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.