Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
I've had iPhone 6 sized phone since the 6. I love the thought of more screen real estate and the added features but I'm worried about carrying the phone in my front right pants pocket.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Does your iPhone 6+/6S+ do okay with pocket use? Would love some comments.

Thanks all,
M

If you can't decide, do like I did, and get the Plus. Playing with one in the store doesn't really teach you anything. You have two weeks to decide if it'll work for you. If it doesn't, return it and get the smaller one. Make sure to give it a fair shake: It took me a few days to get used to the size when I got the 6 Plus ... but after that experience, I'll never go to the smaller phone again. I upgraded to the 6S Plus, and I'll be getting 7 Plus on Friday.

Everyone will react differently to the different sized phones ... the only way you'll know for sure is it try it for a week or two.

airjay75

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
I had the 6 Plus for a year and the 6S Plus for the past year. This, year, I've decided to downsize to the 7.

I've enjoyed the larger size iPhone and, for the most part, I am pretty used to it. The one big thing I gave up when I went from the 5S to the 6 Plus was taking my iPhone with me on runs or going to the gym. I got an iPod shuffle to use instead. That worked well for awhile. Then, this past year after signing up for Apple Music (which isn't compatible with the shuffle), I started taking my iPhone with me to the gym using Bluetooth headphones. It has worked ok, but it really got me missing a smaller, more compact and portable device that I could take with me more places, especially running outside. Then I started thinking about whether I really utilize the extra screen space on the Plus for anything, and I'm hard pressed to think of anything where I'm really going to miss having the extra screen real estate. I spent some time with my wife's 6S, and the screen is really big enough for me. In fact, at this point, I'm really looking forward to having the smaller iPhone that is lighter and more compact. We'll see whether, over time, I start to miss the Plus, but for now, I'm excited about downsizing.

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
I've been in the same boat and decided on the 7+ because of it being a bigger upgrade. I'm a bit concerned over the size, particularly being a woman with a big phone but theres only one way to find out if i'll like it is to try it out. It appears the plus is more popular than the 7 since I can still order a 7 without much delay so if I don't like the plus I'll exchange it. Worst case, I'll be keeping my 6 until Im sure so I can always revert back if needed.
I've played around with my daughters and friends Galaxy Notes and I really like the size and feel of those. I know the 7+ is going to be slightly larger and taller so not sure how it will compare yet, but if Apple made a phone that looked like the Note 7 in terms of bezel size, weight, dimensions, etc with iOS I know I would love that!
Only time will tell with the 7+.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I had the 6 Plus for a year and the 6S Plus for the past year. This, year, I've decided to downsize to the 7.

I've enjoyed the larger size iPhone and, for the most part, I am pretty used to it. The one big thing I gave up when I went from the 5S to the 6 Plus was taking my iPhone with me on runs or going to the gym. I got an iPod shuffle to use instead. That worked well for awhile. Then, this past year after signing up for Apple Music (which isn't compatible with the shuffle), I started taking my iPhone with me to the gym using Bluetooth headphones. It has worked ok, but it really got me missing a smaller, more compact and portable device that I could take with me more places, especially running outside. Then I started thinking about whether I really utilize the extra screen space on the Plus for anything, and I'm hard pressed to think of anything where I'm really going to miss having the extra screen real estate. I spent some time with my wife's 6S, and the screen is really big enough for me. In fact, at this point, I'm really looking forward to having the smaller iPhone that is lighter and more compact. We'll see whether, over time, I start to miss the Plus, but for now, I'm excited about downsizing.

Thanks for the info. I ordered + and I really worry how to use it in gym. Now I think I try it and probaly send it back.

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I've had iPhone 6 sized phone since the 6. I love the thought of more screen real estate and the added features but I'm worried about carrying the phone in my front right pants pocket.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Does your iPhone 6+/6S+ do okay with pocket use? Would love some comments.

Thanks all,
M
Big is better. Carrying your 7 Plus in your front pocket will help elongate what may or may not be there.

airjay75

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
Thanks for the info. I ordered + and I really worry how to use it in gym. Now I think I try it and probaly send it back.

I would say just try it out and see what you think. It also depends on what sort of workout you do. If you're just doing cardio machines, I don't know that the size of the phone makes that much of a difference. Set the phone on the machine, connect some Bluetooth headphones and off you go. For me, I didn't like using it as much when I was lifting. I'd go from machine to machine, setting my iPhone underneath the bench and sometimes just leaving it in my pocket. It worked ok, but I would prefer something smaller and lighter. Now, running outside is a whole other matter. I remember when I first got the 6 Plus, I tried using it with a flipbelt - just didn't work, and I decided the Plus was a no go for running outside. Of course, I haven't tried running with the regular size iPhone yet, but I think it will be much more compatible with running armbands and running belts.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I would say just try it out and see what you think. It also depends on what sort of workout you do. If you're just doing cardio machines, I don't know that the size of the phone makes that much of a difference. Set the phone on the machine, connect some Bluetooth headphones and off you go. For me, I didn't like using it as much when I was lifting. I'd go from machine to machine, setting my iPhone underneath the bench and sometimes just leaving it in my pocket. It worked ok, but I would prefer something smaller and lighter. Now, running outside is a whole other matter. I remember when I first got the 6 Plus, I tried using it with a flipbelt - just didn't work, and I decided the Plus was a no go for running outside. Of course, I haven't tried running with the regular size iPhone yet, but I think it will be much more compatible with running armbands and running belts.

I do free weights, elliptical, ropes, outside bicycling: road and mountain (inside or on machine when whether is bad, sucks winter is coming again :) ), jumping ropes and a lot of stretching as a physical preparation for my main sport. I cannot use any equipment with my main sport at all. I hate running.

ristb

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2010
I've had the iphone 6 plus for 2 years and thought I would get use to the size but I've noticed that I hold onto the phone in hand instead of putting it in my pocket because its just so uncomfortable. I'm ready to go back to the regular size iphone and can live without the nicer camera.

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011
My 7 256 shipped the day after I cancelled my 7 Plus 128 for it.

The more time that goes by the better I feel about the smaller phone.

I'd love it if Apple made a 4.7" 1080 screen with an bigger battery. I'd gladly give up a few millimeters for it.

Last edited:

caelius

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2015
Innsbruck, Austria
Truth be told, I feel a bit of regret for not pre-ordering the Plus last Friday. Won't be here until mid October, so no possibility to compare them side by side as the return period for my launch day 7 will be over until then. Never really liked the massive dimensions, but that display surely is tempting.

Maybe I should try to get one at a store on Friday. Hm.

callihan_44

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
I come from the note series and here is my experience with large phones...I went from the htc m8 5inch to the note 4 5.7 inch and it took me a short period of time to adjust...mainly handling the phone and the feeling of it in my pocket. I love the screen real estate for videos, web browsing, google maps, texting etc. BUT it does become a little annoying while on the go, anytime I go hiking or biking I kinda wish I had a smaller phone to carry but every time I go check out the smaller phones I cringe at the size of them.. after a while you learn to almost juggle the phone in your hand, I use my fingers to balance the phone and I do this now without even realizing it. I can perform a lot of one handed operations now and my hands are medium to large, reaching to the top of the screen to pull down notifications is probably the toughest task but I find it less annoying after getting used to it now. The note doesn't even feel large anymore, at first it was awkward especially talking it felt like holding a tablet up to your ear plus back then the note series was NOTICEABLY bigger than anything else on the market so it stood out....to me apple needs a 5 inch phone...I get annoyed typing on a tiny keyboard now so I don't think I can go below 5inches for sure

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012

I run. I put my phone in a mini backpack and use bluetooth PowerBeat 2s. I have an Apple Watch as well. This is how I get around the size issue. The watch lets me stay in touch if an emergency occurs since I have my phone on me in the back pack.

Reactions: THE JUICEMAN

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Is everyone satisfied with their preorder now after a bit of time, either 7 or 7 Plus?

I'm going back to the 4.7 size after having the last two Plus-sized phones and I'm confident it's the right move. But I'm sure I will get big screen envy.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I'm more of a "4.7 (or less) phone fan myself. The perfect height for a phone is between the SE and 7. 130mm. It isn't exactly an easy decision because the 7 Plus does have the advantages with 2X optical zoom, extra gig of RAM, sharper display, and better battery life. The 2X optical zoom is kinda similar to what LG did for the dual front cameras on their V10 last year where it had a close and wide angle shot for selfies and grufies.

I think if I saw the optical zoom being impressive compared to the 7, then I will lean towards the 7+. I am planning to attend the 2016 Breeders' Cup at Santa Anita. I remember bringing my Nokia N82 for it in 2008. Digital zoom sucks. Shots felt so far away. Brought my Canon SD1100 the following year for it since it had optical zoom. Much better. Recorded the entire race when Zenyatta won the Classic being the first and still only mare to do it.

Decisions, decisions. If it is 7+, it would have to be jet black. Has more space to show fingerprints and scratches, but a clear skin should resolve that. The jet black also hides the camera hump if you look directly at it. Can't totally close the door on either choice. We know 7+ is the better of the two, but is it the best for you? That camera might be enough of a reason to answer some people's dilemma.

Reactions: decafjava

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I'm more of a "4.7 (or less) phone fan myself. The perfect height for a phone is between the SE and 7. 130mm. It isn't exactly an easy decision because the 7 Plus does have the advantages with 2X optical zoom, extra gig of RAM, sharper display, and better battery life. The 2X optical zoom is kinda similar to what LG did for the dual front cameras on their V10 last year where it had a close and wide angle shot for selfies and grufies.

I think if I saw the optical zoom being impressive compared to the 7, then I will lean towards the 7+. I am planning to attend the 2016 Breeders' Cup at Santa Anita. I remember bringing my Nokia N82 for it in 2008. Digital zoom sucks. Shots felt so far away. Brought my Canon SD1100 the following year for it since it had optical zoom. Much better. Recorded the entire race when Zenyatta won the Classic being the first and still only mare to do it.

Decisions, decisions. If it is 7+, it would have to be jet black. Has more space to show fingerprints and scratches, but a clear skin should resolve that. The jet black also hides the camera hump if you look directly at it. Can't totally close the door on either choice. We know 7+ is the better of the two, but is it the best for you? That camera might be enough of a reason to answer some people's dilemma.
Good points about the camera, I may actually get the 7+ for that and the better battery - however not sure about upgrading my home PC is running badly so I really need to upgrade that first as my 6 is still running very well.

Last edited:

one more thing

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2016
Some reviews are saying the plus uses both lenses in sync to take a shot, I thought this was only for the upcoming bokeh effect?? Does anyone know the truth in this? Surely if you use 1x then you will only be using the wide angle lens and not both? Confused!

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I've had the 6 Plus since launch, thought about going with the standard 7 this time around. But I feel like I have abnormally large hands and my girlfriend's 6 always feels tiny every time I pick it up. Just don't think I could deal with a small phone. I have no problem using my 6 Plus with one hand.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Some reviews are saying the plus uses both lenses in sync to take a shot, I thought this was only for the upcoming bokeh effect?? Does anyone know the truth in this? Surely if you use 1x then you will only be using the wide angle lens and not both? Confused!

In this review he says it uses both lenses for EVERY shot. This is new information and seems like a big deal. He says it takes the best of both cameras every time and combines it. To give you the best picture possible. Hence the extra gb of ram.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/13/review-apple-tees-up-the-future-with-iphone-7/

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011
I will say, the little things are what bug me most. I left my stuttering and laggy Android for a iPhone 5 running iOS 6.1.2. It was Jailbroken and the smoothest phone I've ever had.

Little animation glitches and stutters bother me the most. Even my iPhone 6 Jailbroken on iOS 8.3 has lots of glitches and stutters I never had on my 5. Hopefully the 7 has enough horsepower to smooth everything over. The 7 benchmarks at double the performance of the 6, I just hope Apple has properly optimized iOS 10 to be smoother.

golfdude

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2005
Sure this has been said but with 6/6+ and 6s/6s+ the features/specs were the same. Now with iPhone 7/7+ its not even close. Just surprised so many people are upgrading to the 7 from a 6/6s when a much better phone (7+) is available. Apple has drawn a line in the sand, the bigger phones get the best upgrades now. 7+ FTW.

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011
Sure this has been said but with 6/6+ and 6s/6s+ the features/specs were the same. Now with iPhone 7/7+ its not even close. Just surprised so many people are upgrading to the 7 from a 6/6s when a much better phone (7+) is available. Apple has drawn a line in the sand, the bigger phones get the best upgrades now. 7+ FTW.
The 7/7+ are arguably closer than the 6S/6+.

Battery life is better on the 7 than the 6S.
Battery life is worse on the 7+ than the 6S+ (look it up).

The 7 & 7+ have the same OIS camera. The second camera on the 7+ only matters if you want zoom or fake bokeh.

The 7+ has higher ppi and rez, but you have to deal with a much bigger phone to get it. The 7 screen is also brighter and higher contrast than the 7+.

The 7 still benchmarks a smidge faster than the 7+ (just like previous generations).

If Apple shrinks the bezels then maybe, but if they shrink the bezels more on the 4.7", I'll like it even more.

ATEspo

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
I've had my 6+ for 2 years now, and I've got accustomed to the larger size but always loved when I held someone's 6/6s. I did preorder a 7+ but I'm REALLY thinking about canceling my order and going with the regular 7.

The only thing holding me back is the slightly better battery, the cameras and the extra gb of ram.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.