Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

KevinGrabher

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2009
Hi,

sorry for the same question, yesterday i have received cplay2air, did as understand OTA update it showed 100% but did not reboot. and now it does not show any signa of live, as I read some post above - I have to buy new one or no:). tried to do update from USB but no leds blinked

If you simply plug it in to a USB power adapter without anything connected do any of the LEDs light up (leave it for 3-5 min)?

BlueVaraMike

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2020
Today 2020.10.28 1252 was ready for update - installed it and everything is fine with my Honda CR-V Hybrid 2019 (Austria)
Got one question:
Can i download any firmware from the dongle to my Mac as a Backup?
Thanks ...

anthover

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Yes and No. You can download anything for as long as it is available (firmware that is not OTA is removed quickly, and new OTA replaces old). Many here have created home archives, posted individual files here and even put up their own ftp site to download from. One of our members as even taken to make minor firmware modifications and posting those.

anthover

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Hi,

sorry for the same question, yesterday i have received cplay2air, did as understand OTA update it showed 100% but did not reboot. and now it does not show any signa of live, as I read some post above - I have to buy new one or no:). tried to do update from USB but no leds blinked
Sorry to hear that. Perhaps something happened at the tail end of the update. Others might have recovery suggestions. I prefer to buy Carlinkit via Amazon as Carlinkit is the OEM and with Amazon at least you have a month to make returns if you brick. Car2playAir has not had the best rep with their private label versions of the Carlinkit and support. You can try their support saying the device was DOA. Perhaps after some emails or support tickets if they do not work out can dispute the charges. Good Luck.

bogchop

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
I did the update today from 2020.08.04 to 2020.10.28 1252. DISASTER!

Running a VW Golf GTi 2016. It rebooted after the flash, but now with the unit plugged in my VW head unit constantly sits @ "Reading USB..." then eventually "USB Error".

Still managed to get into the 192.168.50.2 home page, and was given the option of rolling back to 2020.10.28. Did this, and unit still exhibits same "Reading USB..." behaviour. The wifi was also seemingly reset with the rollback (and upgrade tbh), with the "AutoBox-582f" WLAN appearing on my iPhone.

So now I have a unit that doesn't work any longer. What do I do to remedy this?

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I’m the OP, and as many may know, I’ve got an original CarLinkIt unit, that has never ever worked for my car, a Vauxhall.

Tried everything, new updates via USB, tried in friends Marc once, worked fine in there. I’ve watched all vids I could, even contacted Vauxhall for any software updates to my car...

I’ve followed the thread always and kept up to date.

Well today, for no reason, I have the iPhone 12 now, and decide to try. Didn’t work on Bluetooth.

I then plugged in the lightning cable to the unit, never worked before, and couldn’t believe it but up it popped CarPlay

I then navigated around a bit, seemed ok, I then unplugged the cable and it worked!?!

Checked for an update (can’t remember what mines on currently), and said there was of 2020-10-28.1252 “improve performance and compatibility” didn’t update as was about to drive home.

Played with CarPlay on way home and all seemed to work, but then tried Apple Music, skipped a few tracks, and stopped, then all CarPlay hung wouldn’t do anything. Is this a common issue?

So I’ve no idea what’s happened different today, apart from new iPhone, I’ll try tomorrow to see if auto connects again.

Should I try the update? Is this a safe one to do? Is it common to crash?

How do you get the CarLinkIt interface up? I noticed my iPhone 11 and iPhone 12 listed, so would like to delete the iPhone 11 in case tries to connect to it and gets confused.

Also what do the LEDs mean, what should be the default working status, flashing blue?

What does the setting page do as well please? Sync mode, delay times etc. I’ll add this to first post as well

Sorry for long post, first in a while, but was great to see after 14 months of having it, see CarPlay on the screen!!

Didn’t get any answers, but doesn’t matter, got in car today and nothing....

Chrishansellis

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2020
I’m the OP, and as many may know, I’ve got an original CarLinkIt unit, that has never ever worked for my car, a Vauxhall.

Tried everything, new updates via USB, tried in friends Marc once, worked fine in there. I’ve watched all vids I could, even contacted Vauxhall for any software updates to my car...

I’ve followed the thread always and kept up to date.

Well today, for no reason, I have the iPhone 12 now, and decide to try. Didn’t work on Bluetooth.

I then plugged in the lightning cable to the unit, never worked before, and couldn’t believe it but up it popped CarPlay

I then navigated around a bit, seemed ok, I then unplugged the cable and it worked!?!

Checked for an update (can’t remember what mines on currently), and said there was of 2020-10-28.1252 “improve performance and compatibility” didn’t update as was about to drive home.

Played with CarPlay on way home and all seemed to work, but then tried Apple Music, skipped a few tracks, and stopped, then all CarPlay hung wouldn’t do anything. Is this a common issue?

So I’ve no idea what’s happened different today, apart from new iPhone, I’ll try tomorrow to see if auto connects again.

Should I try the update? Is this a safe one to do? Is it common to crash?

How do you get the CarLinkIt interface up? I noticed my iPhone 11 and iPhone 12 listed, so would like to delete the iPhone 11 in case tries to connect to it and gets confused.

Also what do the LEDs mean, what should be the default working status, flashing blue?

What does the setting page do as well please? Sync mode, delay times etc. I’ll add this to first post as well

Sorry for long post, first in a while, but was great to see after 14 months of having it, see CarPlay on the screen!!

I was having the same problem as you with my Nav 900 - it just wouldn't work.

I do have an iPhone 12 though!

I found today, that if I followed the downgrade and upgrade instructions from Ludwig to his custom firmware that my adapter now works!!

It did unfortunately however crash (randomly, everything worked fine including music), but I just pulled the cable out and re-inserted it and it sorted itself out. I'm hoping that that isn't a regular occurrence of course, but other than that it works flawlessly!

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I was having the same problem as you with my Nav 900 - it just wouldn't work.

I do have an iPhone 12 though!

I found today, that if I followed the downgrade and upgrade instructions from Ludwig to his custom firmware that my adapter now works!!

It did unfortunately however crash (randomly, everything worked fine including music), but I just pulled the cable out and re-inserted it and it sorted itself out. I'm hoping that that isn't a regular occurrence of course, but other than that it works flawlessly!

Really!!

What adapter do you have? It’s a Navi 900 yes?

How do you get the adapter menu up on the car screen, this seems to be the problem I have, as I seen this flash up other day, seen iPhone 11 and iPhone 12 listed, clicked iPhone 12 and seemed to work from then

Sorry haven’t been on a while, so not up to date, what’s the procedure you tried to get working?

I can sometimes, even though not shown on car screen, connect using 192.168.50.2, can see an update required for 2020-10-28. Tried to update, had a “successful” but then trying again shows same update.

Really hope can get it working, if you have. Does it work every time now for you?

Thanks

Chrishansellis

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2020
Really!!

What adapter do you have? It’s a Navi 900 yes?

How do you get the adapter menu up on the car screen, this seems to be the problem I have, as I seen this flash up other day, seen iPhone 11 and iPhone 12 listed, clicked iPhone 12 and seemed to work from then

Sorry haven’t been on a while, so not up to date, what’s the procedure you tried to get working?

I can sometimes, even though not shown on car screen, connect using 192.168.50.2, can see an update required for 2020-10-28. Tried to update, had a “successful” but then trying again shows same update.

Really hope can get it working, if you have. Does it work every time now for you?

Thanks
Hi,

I have the V2, and a Nav 900 on my Vauxhall Astra - after reading your posts it's clear it's the same head unit.

I couldn't get the menu up or anything originally. I had to flash the updates using a thumb drive and a PC.

On Ludiwgs posts on page 185 you'll find the downloads for the firmware.

You need to flash the rollback (changing the name of the download) one first and then the custom one and since then it's worked!

If you need more detailed info let me know.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Hi,

I have the V2, and a Nav 900 on my Vauxhall Astra - after reading your posts it's clear it's the same head unit.

I couldn't get the menu up or anything originally. I had to flash the updates using a thumb drive and a PC.

On Ludiwgs posts on page 185 you'll find the downloads for the firmware.

You need to flash the rollback (changing the name of the download) one first and then the custom one and since then it's worked!

If you need more detailed info let me know.

Ok I’ll start reading up thanks, think there’s some pics, and version number of my system on here. It’s name is Intellilink Nav 900, sounds the same yeh.

I’m not sure why it worked the other day though. Only difference is my iPhone 12.

Did you use normal wired CarPlay first to sort of register it to your car and then start flashing?

So pleased found someone with same system, and that it works!!

Reading on p185 seems you flash back to 2020-08-04 then to 2020-10-28 yes? Someone bricked there’s though doing this....what’s difference on ludwig 2020-10-28 fw compared to standard one?

Could you screenshot your system and version to compare please. I’m even waiting of Vauxhall getting back to me to flash the system software, I’ve said it crashes and needs updating.

Last edited:

Chrishansellis

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2020
Ok I’ll start reading up thanks, think there’s some pics, and version number of my system on here. It’s name is Intellilink Nav 900, sounds the same yeh.

I’m not sure why it worked the other day though. Only difference is my iPhone 12.

Did you use normal wired CarPlay first to sort of register it to your car and then start flashing?

So pleased found someone with same system, and that it works!!

Reading on p185 seems you flash back to 2020-08-04 then to 2020-10-28 yes? Someone bricked there’s though doing this....

Could you screenshot your system and version to compare please. I’m even waiting of Vauxhall getting back to me to flash the system software, I’ve said it crashes and needs updating.
I plugged in the adapter waited for the light to come on and then plugged my phone into the adapter, and my phone registered it for car play and it came up. When I unplugged my phone it went to the adapter connection screen and I then had to set it up via Bluetooth.

I can't see how flashing the updates would brick it as long as the updates have completed fully and the device has the right power (not plugged into the car - I used my laptop's USB port to perform the updates). As Ludwig said, his custom firmware isn't a big enough change to cause a brick (and then roll back is an official one).

I'll send you a screenshot when I get to my car, but mine is the most up to date software that I can get (my car gets OTA updates apparently and it says there are no updates available, not sure about yours though!).

Buran

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
An update on my install... looks like it's working! Left the car running for a few minutes, but unlike before I unplugged, replugged, screen came up. Bluetooth network spawned (so apparently that has to wait for the splash screen) and then got the Wifi "Use CarPlay?" prompt. It's possible I didn't wait long enough previously (or maybe I just got lucky? No idea), but the radio finally saw the device as a CarPlay-capable phone and ran through the Bluetooth prompt and so forth.

Turned car off a few minutes later. This morning, by the time I backed out of my driveway and shifted to drive (dropping the rear-view camera from the screen), CarPlay was up. So it does appear to be working now. A phone call that came in worked fine. Pulling into the garage at the end of the trip did trigger the switch to dark mode. Maps (position awareness) worked fine, though I didn't test in a parking garage. Steering wheel controls for back/next and volume worked. Album art usually shows up (with one track, it didn't).

I don't know yet how long it takes to connect, since the rear-view camera took the screen over during the process. Guess I'll find out later today, as long as the connection consistently works. Just in case, though, I've ordered a USB-A data/power cable that includes an inline switch to make it easier to power-cycle the unit.

This is a 2017 CR-V Touring, no firmware update installed since purchase since the dealer's said there aren't any available. Only updates it's had is a firmware update for the sensing camera to fix a problem last year and a Garmin map update.

Last edited:

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I plugged in the adapter waited for the light to come on and then plugged my phone into the adapter, and my phone registered it for car play and it came up. When I unplugged my phone it went to the adapter connection screen and I then had to set it up via Bluetooth.

I can't see how flashing the updates would brick it as long as the updates have completed fully and the device has the right power (not plugged into the car - I used my laptop's USB port to perform the updates). As Ludwig said, his custom firmware isn't a big enough change to cause a brick (and then roll back is an official one).

I'll send you a screenshot when I get to my car, but mine is the most up to date software that I can get (my car gets OTA updates apparently and it says there are no updates available, not sure about yours though!).

Thanks. Hope can get mine working.

So did yours not work straight out of box etc? You had to do the custom FW and roll back etc?

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I added images on the repo there is an official rollback release (2020.08.04), then you can flash 2020.10.28

I also created a custom firmware based on this new version (2020.10.28), available here:

(Rollback to 2020.08.04 Custom FW or official before)

GCZUtVW.png
@VLud Hi someone with same system as me, has got this working using your custom FW. It’s never worked for me since I’ve had it, over a year.

I’m unsure what current FW is on mine, originally CarLinkIt.

I can sometimes connect to the 192.168.50.2 and can see an OTA of 2020-10-28 but doesn’t seem to stick.

So can I follow above and do the roll back and then next one using USB method? Is it one after another or do you need to try and connect to car after roll back?

What exactly is the custom FW for? better compatibility?

Appreciate help and work done!

Last edited:

Zombie Woof

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
GTI VW 2017...... OTA 2020-10-28

So far connects consistently, but text notifications are wonky. If not on Carplay screen, sometimes it briefly flashes back to carplay screen with a snippet of the text tone, other times no sound at all. I am on IOS 14.2 so something might have broke. Been asking for a proper fix for this since early in the year. :*(

KevinGrabher

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2009
Just some information on my Update path. I tried a different route this time, as my last USB-C adapter bricked (no lights) after an OTA update I performed in the car (engine running, full 4G on the the iPhone).

1) Take the adapter out of the car
2) Turn off iPhones Bluetooth (for all iPhones close enough that are paired for CarPlay)
3) Plug the adapter into a USB wall socket (I used an Apple 10W adapter that shipped with an iPad)
4) Manually connect to the adapters WiFi via the iPhone settings (might take a while to show up)
5) Go to http://192.168.50.2
6) Click update
7) Leave the adapter plugged in for a few minutes just to be safe
8) Take the adapter back to the car, if everything works fine, click "forget" on the network in the WiFi settings (CarPlay establishes a P2P connection that is different from connecting via WiFi settings).

2 theories on why I think this is a safer approach (why I think my last adapter possibly bricked):
- the iPhone tries to connect to CarPlay while the adapter isn't quite done with the update and it somehow freezes up in a mid-state
or
- the Car shortly interrupts power during the update because it looses (and maybe re-gains) the CarPlay "signal"

Another interesting bit:
After the update the adapters WiFi name was Autobox-582f
Only once I plugged it back into the car it was named "KIA08" again
I think previously there was a theory that the adapter being named Autobox had something to do with flashing a wrong firmware (for Android units) but it seems to be the default name before it recognized which car it's plugged into.

Last edited:

bogchop

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
Another interesting bit:
After the update the adapters WiFi Name was Autobox-582f
Only once I plugged it back into the car it was names "KIA08" again
My experience is different here. It updated, but now it's showing as Autobox-582f. Plugged/unplugged a few times, same deal.

GTI VW 2017...... OTA 2020-10-28

So far connects consistently, but text notifications are wonky. If not on Carplay screen, sometimes it briefly flashes back to carplay screen with a snippet of the text tone, other times no sound at all. I am on IOS 14.2 so something might have broke. Been asking for a proper fix for this since early in the year. :*(
Got a 2016 GTi myself. Update worked, but all i'm getting is the AutoBox-528f wifi network now, and the car constantly has the "Reading USB device..." message. No CarPlay.

Zombie Woof

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
My experience is different here. It updated, but now it's showing as Autobox-582f. Plugged/unplugged a few times, same deal.

Got a 2016 GTi myself. Update worked, but all i'm getting is the AutoBox-528f wifi network now, and the car constantly has the "Reading USB device..." message. No CarPlay.
Oddly enough I went back to the rollback and kept saying connect to Bluetooth which was on but wouldn't work at all. Had no choice but to go to 9/23 the do OTA to 10/28. Really odd, maybe this is why Apple never allowed wireless carplay.

bogchop

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
Oddly enough I went back to the rollback and kept saying connect to Bluetooth which was on but wouldn't work at all. Had no choice but to go to 9/23 the do OTA to 10/28. Really odd, maybe this is why Apple never allowed wireless carplay.
Did you do the rollback using a USB stick? I've rolled back to 2020-08-04, and its now showing as the latest version -- 2020-10-28 no longer appears. Looks like its been pulled.

Pity, my unit is still stuffed. Just sits there on "Reading USB Device..." until some time later, then finally get "USB Fail" on the head unit.

Melmanoh

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2020
Is waze working for anyone ? I got a iPhone 12 pro and waze works for like 5 mins then freezes my emtir system. It was working fine on my 11pro max .

arman4s4

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2019
Just got a new Carlinkit CPC200-U2W-Plus as I bricked my last Carlinkit.

As expected it's not working with my 2018 Honda Accord. But Carplay2air and few other Honda Accord owners confirmed that it's now working with 2018 and newer Honda Accords after updating to latest firmware.

Last edited:

Zombie Woof

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
Did you do the rollback using a USB stick? I've rolled back to 2020-08-04, and its now showing as the latest version -- 2020-10-28 no longer appears. Looks like its been pulled.

Pity, my unit is still stuffed. Just sits there on "Reading USB Device..." until some time later, then finally get "USB Fail" on the head unit.
Yes I had to roll back via usb stick, as it did not show a rollback when I looked for OTA.

arman4s4

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2019
Success!!!! Finally Wireless Carplay in 2018 Accord Touring!!

Successfully updated my Carlinkit CPC200-U2W-Plus to 28.10.2020. For the first time, my 2018 Honda Accord has Wireless Carplay. End of one year wait since the initial purchase of Carplay2air in December 2019.

No issues noted so far. Flawless connection after car restarting, audio quality is same as wired carplay.

Last edited:

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Success!!!!

Successfully updated my Carlinkit CPC200-U2W-Plus to 28.10.2020. For the first time, my 2018 Honda Accord has Wireless Carplay. End of one year wait since the initial purchase of Carplay2air in December 2019.

No issues noted so far. Flawless connection after car restarting, audio quality is same as wired carplay.

What procedure/flashing etc did you do please. I’m in same boat, with a v1, iPhone 12 never worked , somehow did last week once, but came back to car next day and nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.