Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperMegaDrive

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2020
San Jose, CA
You are not going to see any difference if both your phone and the car are getting good GPS signal. Select the GPS source and then block it then you'll know if it is actually using the selected source. It is not possible blocking GPS on the phone since will probably block the WiFi too for the test.
Best way I’ve found to test it is to get a passenger to sit on your phone while you’re driving. If the GPS stops updating, CarPlay is using the phone GPS.

All the updates since August broke car GPS in my Hyundai Palisade, but 1/28 has fixed it again. That’s with GPS set to on, I haven’t tried it set to off.

Einz

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2008
I wouldn't know what happened in the past. The first time I used the dongle was with the 1.28 update.

steveg_nh

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2021
I'm running 1.08 in a 2018 GMC Sierra since I got the dongle, and honestly, it's been fantastic and connecting and reconnecting. I've had maybe 2 times where it didn't auto connect for some reason, but I've had the same experience in my 2018 BMW X5 with factory wireless carplay. Probably the only repeat issue I've had is the occasional audio dropout of music, maybe a second, or not even, but you hear it hiccup. It might only do it once every few hours of use. I figured I'd try 1.28 since I could roll back, but still only seeing 1.08 as the latest OTA.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I’m on 2021-01-08 and says latest for me.

I’ve switched background on, but still get the dongle splash screen when connecting. I thought that was to hide it?

steveg_nh

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2021

I’ve switched background on, but still get the dongle splash screen when connecting. I thought that was to hide it?
I haven't been able to figure out what "background" does, or maybe it's a bug and it's supposed to suppress it, but it just doesn't work.

SuperMegaDrive

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2020
San Jose, CA
I haven't been able to figure out what "background" does, or maybe it's a bug and it's supposed to suppress it, but it just doesn't work.
I tried background, and it worked for me. I turned it off though, because I share the car with my wife. It did pop up a bunch of car play disconnected messages though, so maybe the behaviour depends on your head unit?

njcyx6649250

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
2019 Accord. 2/2/2021 firmware. Waze is still black out & crashing. Other functions are fine. It seems booting/connecting time is faster.

I hope I can use waze someday...

vesalius

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2020
You are not going to see any difference if both your phone and the car are getting good GPS signal. Select the GPS source and then block it then you'll know if it is actually using the selected source. It is not possible blocking GPS on the phone since will probably block the WiFi too for the test.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207092

in case anyone wants to experiment You can turn gps off without affecting WiFi via location services on your iPhone.

Last edited:

vesalius

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2020

Same here in my Chevy Colorado, functionality probably hit or miss based on vehicle and radio.

ewrandom

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2021
I updated mine to 2021.02.02. It works similar fine to very old SW in my Porsche 718. I hoped it would work on the Sony xav-ax1000 head unit it another can in my family but it does not. The head unit does not repsond to connecting it in any way.
I use a cplay2air with an XAV-AX1000. The head unit *must* be on the older Sony 1.01 firmware. If it has the 1.2x Sony firmware my experience is that the head unit will just go into a reboot loop as soon as the cplay2air adapter is connected. That said, there are some issues: #1 - You can "Hey Siri <ask something>" in a single command and it works, but if you do any Siri requests that require "back and forth" it acts like the mic isn't working when you try to respond. So, "Hey Siri text so and so" prompts siri to ask "what do you want to say" .... but it will never pick up your response. Additionally, the mic doesn't work for phone calls. Other than those 2 (rather large - depending on your use case) issues, it has worked pretty well for me. I personally make due by switching to "speaker" on the phone if I have to make or receive a call, and using my apple watch for more complicated Siri commands that I can't ask in a single request. You can trick the Sony into downgrading the XAV firmware pretty easily if you get a copy of the 1.01 firmware and then rename the file so the Sony thinks it's one version ahead of what's currently on the unit, and by using a hex editor on the first 2 bytes of the file to set the "version" that is embedded there to also be one above whatever firmware version number is currently on the radio. For example, if you have 1.20 installed, you'd rename the 1.01 files to be 1.21, and change the first 2 bytes of the firmware from "01 01" to "01 21".

Reactions: vosadrian

vosadrian

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2020
I use a cplay2air with an XAV-AX1000. The head unit *must* be on the older Sony 1.01 firmware. If it has the 1.2x Sony firmware my experience is that the head unit will just go into a reboot loop as soon as the cplay2air adapter is connected. That said, there are some issues: #1 - You can "Hey Siri <ask something>" in a single command and it works, but if you do any Siri requests that require "back and forth" it acts like the mic isn't working when you try to respond. So, "Hey Siri text so and so" prompts siri to ask "what do you want to say" .... but it will never pick up your response. Additionally, the mic doesn't work for phone calls. Other than those 2 (rather large - depending on your use case) issues, it has worked pretty well for me. I personally make due by switching to "speaker" on the phone if I have to make or receive a call, and using my apple watch for more complicated Siri commands that I can't ask in a single request. You can trick the Sony into downgrading the XAV firmware pretty easily if you get a copy of the 1.01 firmware and then rename the file so the Sony thinks it's one version ahead of what's currently on the unit, and by using a hex editor on the first 2 bytes of the file to set the "version" that is embedded there to also be one above whatever firmware version number is currently on the radio. For example, if you have 1.20 installed, you'd rename the 1.01 files to be 1.21, and change the first 2 bytes of the firmware from "01 01" to "01 21".
Thanks for that. That is most interesting. To think we actually upgraded the head unit firmware to latest in the mistaken belief it would be more likely to be supported! We should have tried it first!

We have not experienced the reboot loop though. I plug it in direct to my phone (lightning cable) and carplay works as expected. I then disconnect cable and put in adapter and it behaves as if nothing is connected. The red LED comes on the adapter for a bit and then it eventually goes out. Perhaps if I left the adapter plugged in and power cycled the unit we would experience this.

This was for my son's car. I'll let him know about the limitations and he can decide if it is worth rolling the firmware back. I am an Electrical engineer who has done my fair share of hacking before, so we can work out the tricking of the Sony to downgrade the firwmare based on the advice you have given.

Thanks again!

Einz

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2008
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207092

in case anyone wants to experiment You can turn gps off without affecting WiFi via location services on your iPhone.
When the app's location services is off. It should not able to use car's GPS either. That is the point of turning off location services. :)

I think the best way to test is block the car's antenna with lead sheet or few sheets of aluminum foil. In my case ice and snow were covering my car's antenna.

Last edited:

Didinlove

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2021
What’s the Cplay2air fw version that works on XAV-AX1000? Tks to let me know.
Version 2020.12.10 finally works on an aftermarket Sony (XAV-AX5000) head-unit.

View attachment 1722270
My aftermarket Sony head unit XAV-AX5110 running 3.0 (then 3.21 on 2.2.2021) was not compatible with version 2020.12.10 as well as some previous and next firmwares. Could you share more details about your exp and your Sony head unit?
A2153D5A-2F28-46BD-B9CC-902B0D6787CD.jpeg

scottuf

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
NPB, FL
After further use the buttons work fine in the Music app, but playing a podcast in Overcast doesn’t. I’ll probably just roll back to the December firmware since it didn’t have this issue.
After rolling back to December, I decided to try an OTA update to 2021.02.02 today and it restored the use of the steering wheel controls in my 2020 Rav4. Now just need to get the custom firmware once available.

ewrandom

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2021
What’s the Cplay2air fw version that works on XAV-AX1000? Tks to let me know.
I'm currently on whatever the latest OTA firmware from CPLAY2AIR is, which is sometime in November 2020. I also tried rolling back to the August 2020 firmware at one point to see if it made any difference with the Mic issues but it did not. I haven't tried any of the newer (December '20, Jan '21, Feb '21) CarlinkKit firmware's yet but hope to have a chance within the next week or two. I intend to try them on the Sony 1.01 firmware since that's the one that works, but was also going to try them on the 1.2x Sony firmware to see if that started working, but it sounds like vosadrian (above) already tried them with the 1.2x and it still doesn't work, so may skip that attempt for the time being.

Reactions: Didinlove

ByteCrawler

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2020
2019 Accord. 2/2/2021 firmware. Waze is still black out & crashing. Other functions are fine. It seems booting/connecting time is faster.

I hope I can use waze someday...
To be honest, Waze has been a crappy app lately. Prior to me getting my Acura in December I remember having issues with wired CarPlay and Waze on my Hyundai. Waze is even worse wired up to the CarPlay in the Acura. I'm probably going to move over to Google Maps soon. So I wouldn't necessarily blame the dongle if Waze keeps crapping out.

Kurt871

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2004
To be honest, Waze has been a crappy app lately. Prior to me getting my Acura in December I remember having issues with wired CarPlay and Waze on my Hyundai. Waze is even worse wired up to the CarPlay in the Acura. I'm probably going to move over to Google Maps soon. So I wouldn't necessarily blame the dongle if Waze keeps crapping out.
Glad it's not just me. Waze has been incredibly buggy for me the last few months. I'm about ready to switch back to Google or Apple.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
I tried background, and it worked for me. I turned it off though, because I share the car with my wife. It did pop up a bunch of car play disconnected messages though, so maybe the behaviour depends on your head unit?
Can you explain what background on setting does? Is it some kind of multitasking?

SuperMegaDrive

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2020
San Jose, CA
Can you explain what background on setting does? Is it some kind of multitasking?
The adaptor will start without showing the connection screen. It waits until your phone finishes connecting before showing the display on your head unit display. Worked on my car, but seems to fail for others.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
The adaptor will start without showing the connection screen. It waits until your phone finishes connecting before showing the display on your head unit display. Worked on my car, but seems to fail for others.
Ah got it let me try it see if it works.

Renato Almeida

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2020
This is the exactly same problem I had with my Volvo. I reset and set it up and it works perfectly at the start then the next day it just won't reconnect. I had then flashed the 20210130 firmware and it fixed this issue, maybe you can give it a try too.
I created one way that I can use the cplay2air. It is not perfect, but it works. I used the ludwig 2021.01.28 firmware (Firmware) and I created a script that resets the cplay2air if it has a config. So, the cplay2air asks for a new config every time. How I said, it is not a good solution because i have to config the dongle every time, but I don't know another way I use it.

Renato Almeida

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2020
Bash:
#!/bin/sh

# ver se o arquivo existe em etc/bluetooth/
if [ -f /etc/bluetooth/mybluetooth.tar.gz ]; then
    # remover as configuracoes
    rm -f /etc/bluetooth/mybluetooth.tar.gz
    rm -f /etc/hichain/*

# criar um novo serial
    echo `head /dev/urandom  |md5sum |awk '{print $1}'` > /etc/device_serial

# sincronizar e reiniciar
    (sync;sleep 1;reboot)&
fi

josejrp

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2008
My Carlinkit showed 2021.02.02 as an OTA update option today, and I went ahead and updated it to get an "official" build into my unit. Afterwards, it still reported 202.01.28.1446 as the running (and latest) version. ?‍♂️

whatgift

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2017
Australia
I just got mine today, installed latest firmware, and on my first drive I was getting frequent short drop outs while playing music.

I was noticing the Ludwig custom firmware, what's the advantage of installing this as opposed to the official versions?

whatgift

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2017
Australia
My Carlinkit showed 2021.02.02 as an OTA update option today, and I went ahead and updated it to get an "official" build into my unit. Afterwards, it still reported 202.01.28.1446 as the running (and latest) version. ?‍♂️
Same here, and it keeps offering the same update, saying the update was successful, then still showing the old version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.