Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simps100

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
UK
The delay in phone calls is the one thing which makes me consider switching back to wired - it’s not terrible but as mentioned it can make for some awkward phone calls at times.

I’ve seen some discussion around some possible WiFi optimizations which maybe possible with the custom firmware which id happily test!

Reactions: TitsLegendary

Urple Morkintosh

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2020
The delay in phone calls is the one thing which makes me consider switching back to wired - it’s not terrible but as mentioned it can make for some awkward phone calls at times.

I’ve seen some discussion around some possible WiFi optimizations which maybe possible with the custom firmware which id happily test!
I hear ya, but even with the annoying phone call delay, I’m still happy to use this thing. Wireless is a game changer. Like I said, for me it’s not a big deal to quickly yank the dongle when a call comes in, and then I plug it back in when I’m done with the call.

here’s another nuisance which would be a deal breaker for me if I lived inside a big city. I live in the burbs and Waze is relatively snappy but as I drive into the big city, everything gets horribly laggy. Like 3+ seconds delay on everything. I thinks there’s just too much map data in a big city for the dongle to handle. Happens every time I’m in the city. Food for thought.

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
I have a CarPlay2Air device in my 2018 CRV and my wife's 2019 CRV and they work great. No lag or sound issues.

KevinGrabher

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2009
I hear ya, but even with the annoying phone call delay, I’m still happy to use this thing. Wireless is a game changer. Like I said, for me it’s not a big deal to quickly yank the dongle when a call comes in, and then I plug it back in when I’m done with the call.

here’s another nuisance which would be a deal breaker for me if I lived inside a big city. I live in the burbs and Waze is relatively snappy but as I drive into the big city, everything gets horribly laggy. Like 3+ seconds delay on everything. I thinks there’s just too much map data in a big city for the dongle to handle. Happens every time I’m in the city. Food for thought.

AFAIK CarPlay is basically a video feed, so the content should not make a difference as all the computing is done on the phone before streaming the rendered video feed.

Waze has been an unreliable experience for me on both wired and wireless CarPlay, especially when GPS locating is poor (tunnels, cities, ...).

Reactions: M.Mowner

boneyfarm

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2021
I just got carlinkit 2.0 with red UI to use with mercedes cla (w117) and the device keep rebooting within approx 2 mins.
its on the latest firmware should I try to downgrade the firmware? if so how to do it can I just download older firmware file and put it in USB drive?

ThomasD.

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2021
I just got carlinkit 2.0 with red UI to use with mercedes cla (w117) and the device keep rebooting within approx 2 mins.
its on the latest firmware should I try to downgrade the firmware? if so how to do it can I just download older firmware file and put it in USB drive?
I have exactly the same problem, I recently find out mine will crash/reboot only while using Spotify. If I don’t use Spotify it won’t crash/reboot. Support from Carlinkit won’t answer me..

boneyfarm

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2021
I have exactly the same problem, I recently find out mine will crash/reboot only while using Spotify. If I don’t use Spotify it won’t crash/reboot. Support from Carlinkit won’t answer me..
well that sucks, I mean I brought it to mainly play Spotify. Hope someone will come up with solution.
did you try using custom firmware?

BleedingMe

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2011
I tested that by calling an echo test number. Wired CarPlay via VW MIB2 gives me a round-trip time of 700ms which is quite high already. Wireless CarPlay via Carlinkit adds another 300ms.

ThomasD.

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2021
well that sucks, I mean I brought it to mainly play Spotify. Hope someone will come up with solution.
did you try using custom firmware?
I first contacted Carlinkit support, I didn’t get any response so I tried the Rollback firmware ended up with a bricked unit. Thanks to this forum I recovered my Carlinkit 2.0 with a usb-stick. I had the red UI, after recovery the UI has turned blue.. when it worked again I updated to the latest firmware version. Unfortunately this all didn’t solve my reboot issue. I only found out that my crashing/rebooting issue happens while using Spotify.

Can you try for me, if you’re device also won’t crash without using Spotify?

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I first contacted Carlinkit support, I didn’t get any response so I tried the Rollback firmware ended up with a bricked unit. Thanks to this forum I recovered my Carlinkit 2.0 with a usb-stick. I had the red UI, after recovery the UI has turned blue.. when it worked again I updated to the latest firmware version. Unfortunately this all didn’t solve my reboot issue. I only found out that my crashing/rebooting issue happens while using Spotify.

When you say bricked what were your LEDs etc? Could you connect to the WiFi of the dongle?

It’s just I have a 3rd party CarLinkIt USB-C type with red UI that did work, but then suddenly stopped and just have a solid red LED on the dongle and can’t connect to its WiFi.

Is the above similar to yours? If so I can try and recover. What did you use, firmware version, to get it back working please? I’m thinking as I can’t do anything and it’s a solid red LED it’s a hardware error.

Thanks

Reactions: ThomasD.

ThomasD.

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2021
When you say bricked what were your LEDs etc? Could you connect to the WiFi of the dongle?

It’s just I have a 3rd party CarLinkIt USB-C type with red UI that did work, but then suddenly stopped and just have a solid red LED on the dongle and can’t connect to its WiFi.

Is the above similar to yours? If so I can try and recover. What did you use, firmware version, to get it back working please? I’m thinking as I can’t do anything and it’s a solid red LED it’s a hardware error.

Thanks
After the rollback, I got an solid red LED, the device was useles (the solid red LED was literally the only sign of life).

Somewhere in this thread I found the solution to manually update the device by using an usb-stick, the update won’t start on my device (green/red flashing LED). Then I had to rename the update file from U2W_Update.img to U2W_AUTOKIT_Update.img that worked for me. I’m not sure of the version just tried a couple. Found the download site also in this forum.

* I just found out that the info and download page comes from your opening post that helped me out, thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: kzoojason76

kzoojason76

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
After the rollback, I got an solid red LED, the device was useles (the solid red LED was literally the only sign of life).

Somewhere in this thread I found the solution to manually update the device by using an usb-stick, the update won’t start on my device (green/red flashing LED). Then I had to rename the update file from U2W_Update.img to U2W_AUTOKIT_Update.img that worked for me. I’m not sure of the version just tried a couple. Found the download site also in this forum.
Exactly how I had to bring mine back from the dead as well!

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK

* I just found out that the info and download page comes from your opening post that helped me out, thanks!
so you just picked any version from the download list for the autokit red UI? You also had a solid red LED and eventually using one of these downloads it flashed ok (LEDs starting to toggle red/blue to show updating), and the dongle came back to life?

Currently I tried with some version, using the same USB I’ve used in past, and the LED just started solid red.

Thanks

Exactly how I had to bring mine back from the dead as well!

Did you have the same problem - solid red LED on the dongle? Which dongle and UI? Which version did you use, and file name please.

boneyfarm

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2021

I did brick my device this way too, the file "U2W_AUTOKIT_Update_2021.03.06.1355.img" form https://github.com/ludwig-v/wireless-carplay-dongle-reverse-engineering/tree/master/Firmware
revive it.

and I noticed that for me the device will reboot if I use Spotify AND Google maps, It won't reboot if I use only one of them at a time. weird! will try using custom firmware later.

ThomasD.

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2021
so you just picked any version from the download list for the autokit red UI? You also had a solid red LED and eventually using one of these downloads it flashed ok (LEDs starting to toggle red/blue to show updating), and the dongle came back to life?

Currently I tried with some version, using the same USB I’ve used in past, and the LED just started solid red.

Thanks

Did you have the same problem - solid red LED on the dongle? Which dongle and UI? Which version did you use, and file name please.
Yes, I picked a 2020 file, unfortunately not sure which version because in first it won’t start update and just tried a couple, then found out on this forum to rename the file, then it started the update right away. My LEDs toggle red/green to show update (Carlinkit 2.0 red UI, bought a month ago). as I said the UI turned blue for some reason, but work’s fine again. Only still crashing/rebooting every several minutes while using Spotify..

Reactions: MrMister111

ThomasD.

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2021
I did brick my device this way too, the file "U2W_AUTOKIT_Update_2021.03.06.1355.img" form https://github.com/ludwig-v/wireless-carplay-dongle-reverse-engineering/tree/master/Firmware
revive it.

and I noticed that for me the device will reboot if I use Spotify AND Google maps., It won't reboot if I use only one of them at a time. weird! will try using custom firmware later.
I’m using Apple Maps, and my device works flawlessly until i start Spotify. I will try to change the music quality, maybe this affects the crashing.

Last edited:

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Yes, I picked a 2020 file, unfortunately not sure which version because in first it won’t start update and just tried a couple, then found out on this forum to rename the file, then it started the update right away. My LEDs toggle red/green to show update (Carlinkit 2.0 red UI, bought a month ago). as I said the UI turned blue for some reason, but work’s fine again. Only still crashing/rebooting every several minutes while using Spotify..

Well today tried lots of different FW’s with names of U2W_Autolink_Update and also U2W_Update and used 2 different USB drives and still just get solid red LED on the dongle. Never once did it seem to flash anything, even after waiting 2mins to start.

Anything else I can try before I send back, or try to, to Amazon for a refund as it’s only a few months old.

ThomasD.

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2021
Well today tried lots of different FW’s with names of U2W_Autolink_Update and also U2W_Update and used 2 different USB drives and still just get solid red LED on the dongle. Never once did it seem to flash anything, even after waiting 2mins to start.

Anything else I can try before I send back, or try to, to Amazon for a refund as it’s only a few months old.
I found the solution for renaming the update file here: https://github.com/ludwig-v/wireless-carplay-dongle-reverse-engineering/tree/master/Firmware. At the bottom of the webpage it shows the possible renaming.. maybe you have to try U2W_SYD_Update.img I think that’s the only thing you can try.

halbprinz

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2019
try stock firmware 2020.08.04
i tried all of them an this was the only one working flawless in my cla w117.
i had exactly the same problem as you. as soon i used to playback music e.g spotify it crashed and rebooted within 1-2 minutes. with 2020.08.04 everything was fine and it never crashed

Urple Morkintosh

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2020
AFAIK CarPlay is basically a video feed, so the content should not make a difference as all the computing is done on the phone before streaming the rendered video feed.

Waze has been an unreliable experience for me on both wired and wireless CarPlay, especially when GPS locating is poor (tunnels, cities, ...).
I believe the same worsening lag phenomenon occurs with any nav app. Everything slows down though, not just Waze. Even Spotify becomes horribly slow and the sound gets choppy. I will double check next time I drive into the city.

also I agree with you, Waze sucks in big cities (even just using it directly on the phone, no CarPlay), it’s not responsive like G maps in the city.

Civic2019JN

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2020

You can try using AirPods (if you owned 1) during taking phone calls while driving. regardless outgoing or Incoming calls, while the carplay Audio auto switches to my AirPods while taking calls, after the call ends, it’s simply auto switch back to wireless carplay audio for musics thru my car system. This is simply awesome. Also added privacy during calls. There is no lag of the 1 secs whatsoever. Worth trying. At least it works for me. Peace ✌️

im using the carlinkits 2.0 usbc version. For my Honda Civic 2019, firmware is 2020.11.10.2138, iOS 14.6, iPhone 12 mini
so far no issues.

Last edited:

ThomasD.

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2021
try stock firmware 2020.08.04
i tried all of them an this was the only one working flawless in my cla w117.
i had exactly the same problem as you. as soon i used to playback music e.g spotify it crashed and rebooted within 1-2 minutes. with 2020.08.04 everything was fine and it never crashed
I'm going to try this too, did you have to change the filename before updating?

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK

ThomasD.

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2021
Never heard of the file name U2W_SYD_Update.img, what is this one normally used for?

I could try yes as nothing is working so suspect the unit is completely broke
I really wouldn't know, but saw it on the site, you can give it a try. You can't break it any further I think

Reactions: milan.he

halbprinz

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2019
I'm going to try this too, did you have to change the filename before updating?
yes but i cant remember in which way. I used the file: U2W_Update_2020.08.04.1602_ROLLBACK.img

Renaming has to be:
U2W_Update.img (I think this one)
OR
U2W_AUTOKIT_Update.img

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.