Combined | iPhone X Yellow / Blue shifted Display?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by james1758, Nov 3, 2017.

1. ytzi macrumors newbie

ytzi

:( Yep

2. alFR macrumors 68020

Camera white balance is markedly different between the 2 photos though (assuming the phone is lying on the same surface). Look at the background: in photo 1, background is white and phone screen is yellow. In photo 2, phone screen is white and background is yellow. Looks like camera took WB info from the background in photo 1 and the phone screen in photo 2. Not saying you're not seeing a shift in colour at an angle in real life, just that it's hard to get an accurate picture of it. Best way would probably be to set custom white balance on a camera that can do that (not sure if any of the 3rd party iOS camera apps can, or if you'd need a standalone camera) using a sheet of white paper then take your photos using that WB setting under the same lighting conditions.

3. ytzi macrumors newbie

ytzi

For sure you've got a point there. In real life with low light the yellow is present and it shifts to blue even if i slightly tilt the phone with just 2-3 degrees. Of course no TT and no NS

4. alFR macrumors 68020

Similar to mine then: screen is nice and even but TT seems too aggressive (too yellow compared to my iPad Pro, for example) and with TT on or off I get a fair bit of blue shift when viewing even slightly off-axis. Not concerned about the TT (they could tweak that in software) but not sure I can live with the blue shift: it's pretty noticeable (esp. when TT is on). I think it's just the way these screens are: most of the pro reviews do mention this but none of them seem to think it's an issue. Maybe I'm just picky but it does bug me, so I'll probably end up returning it and sticking with my 7.

5. ascender macrumors 68020

Just received my silver one and the first thing I noticed when doing the initial setup is how yellow the screen looks when next to my 7.

6. jimmy_uk macrumors regular

jimmy_uk

Left is very yellow and I'd say right one is pink/red at that camera angle.

7. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

It's not poor, it was recently rated the best display in a smartphone. OLED typically has some color shift at angles, but won't affect normal use. TrueTone on/off can make any adjustment very dramatic right after you turn it off or on, but your eyes will adjust. It's a preference, but there likely isnt anything wrong with your display.

8. akerns429 macrumors newbie

Not saying this could be the cause of it, but it looks like the left phone has a screen protector on it, where the right one doesn't? Maybe the screen protector has some kind of UV filter or a slightly yellow tint to it so that could cause your screen to look warmer, even with True Tone and Night shift modes off.

I noticed that my phone is similar to the left one and it has the Belkin glass screen protector from Apple on it. I don't necessarily remember my screen being yellow out of the box and after the screen protector was installed at the Apple Store, it looks a littler more yellow.

I don't really want to remove my overly priced screen protector but I'm curious if that would be the cause of a lot of these "yellow" screens.

Of course, we could just be more used to the "blue" LCD screens that have been on the iPhones since the beginning of time, but the X is also Dolby Vision calibrated so that could also have something to do with the supposedly more natural tones.

9. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Welcome to the fantastic world of OLED. Variances are quite common in the OLED world. It wasn't too long ago that Tim Cook was saying how terrible (AM)OLED panels were and now he has them on his flagship device. :D

10. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

Same as me, the first thing I noticed was how yellow the screen was during setup .

11. predation macrumors 6502a

Wife’s phone is like this. Turned off True Tone.

12. kirkhuffy macrumors regular

Is true tone on or off?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---
    Oh it happened for the first few days after release

13. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

I turned true tone off as well and now its just a blue shift even when looking at it directly .

14. Sean76 macrumors 6502a

Sean76

Offers some explanations and shows what's going on with that color shift.

15. Jutah, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

Jutah macrumors newbie

Glad to hear your opinion.

1) TT off, filter on
    2) TT off, filter off
    3) TT on, filter off
    4) TT off, filter on
    5) full screen (TT on, filter off)

Attached Files:

16. luca.spiga1992 macrumors member

Mine is just like yours . Super yellow with tt, yellow without tt, acceptable white with calibration.

17. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

This is mine. Not sure what to make of it.

Attached Files:

18. Ayemerica, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

This is mine, 75% brightness with True Tone turned off. Thoughts?

8+ 75% brightness True Tone off.

Attached Files:

19. Jutah macrumors newbie

i think that i'll not return the unit. With an even display, the filters do the magic.

20. luca.spiga1992 macrumors member

Every display is reddish \yellowish like that just set the hue in the color tint options and ull get a proper white. I personally have it at 2/3 of the bar probably a bit less.

21. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Could you screen shot your color filters page?

22. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

looks just like mine, a blue tint covering the screen .

23. luca.spiga1992 macrumors member

[​IMG]
    Here you go

24. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

I still couldn't get whites comparable to iphone lcd display even after playing around with color tint . I set intensity to far left and HUE to 2/3 to the right .

It's still blue compared to the iphone lcd display

25. luca.spiga1992 macrumors member

Well yeah u will never get whites like an lcd panel. What u can do is to set it as u prefer and get as much closer u can go to ur standard.