Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Camera white balance is markedly different between the 2 photos though (assuming the phone is lying on the same surface). Look at the background: in photo 1, background is white and phone screen is yellow. In photo 2, phone screen is white and background is yellow. Looks like camera took WB info from the background in photo 1 and the phone screen in photo 2. Not saying you're not seeing a shift in colour at an angle in real life, just that it's hard to get an accurate picture of it. Best way would probably be to set custom white balance on a camera that can do that (not sure if any of the 3rd party iOS camera apps can, or if you'd need a standalone camera) using a sheet of white paper then take your photos using that WB setting under the same lighting conditions.

ytzi

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2017
Camera white balance is markedly different between the 2 photos though (assuming the phone is lying on the same surface). Look at the background: in photo 1, background is white and phone screen is yellow. In photo 2, phone screen is white and background is yellow. Looks like camera took WB info from the background in photo 1 and the phone screen in photo 2. Not saying you're not seeing a shift in colour at an angle in real life, just that it's hard to get an accurate picture of it. Best way would probably be to set custom white balance on a camera that can do that (not sure if any of the 3rd party iOS camera apps can, or if you'd need a standalone camera) using a sheet of white paper then take your photos using that WB setting under the same lighting conditions.

For sure you've got a point there. In real life with low light the yellow is present and it shifts to blue even if i slightly tilt the phone with just 2-3 degrees. Of course no TT and no NS

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
For sure you've got a point there. In real life with low light the yellow is present and it shifts to blue even if i slightly tilt the phone with just 2-3 degrees. Of course no TT and no NS
Similar to mine then: screen is nice and even but TT seems too aggressive (too yellow compared to my iPad Pro, for example) and with TT on or off I get a fair bit of blue shift when viewing even slightly off-axis. Not concerned about the TT (they could tweak that in software) but not sure I can live with the blue shift: it's pretty noticeable (esp. when TT is on). I think it's just the way these screens are: most of the pro reviews do mention this but none of them seem to think it's an issue. Maybe I'm just picky but it does bug me, so I'll probably end up returning it and sticking with my 7.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Just received my silver one and the first thing I noticed when doing the initial setup is how yellow the screen looks when next to my 7.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
My night shift is off....

Its changing to blue and yellow tint...
I compared it to one display here in my office...

My display is very yellowish now....

e85c72350f1c36dea8630a4843dbef61.jpg
Left is very yellow and I'd say right one is pink/red at that camera angle.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
It's not poor, it was recently rated the best display in a smartphone. OLED typically has some color shift at angles, but won't affect normal use. TrueTone on/off can make any adjustment very dramatic right after you turn it off or on, but your eyes will adjust. It's a preference, but there likely isnt anything wrong with your display.

akerns429

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
Not saying this could be the cause of it, but it looks like the left phone has a screen protector on it, where the right one doesn't? Maybe the screen protector has some kind of UV filter or a slightly yellow tint to it so that could cause your screen to look warmer, even with True Tone and Night shift modes off.

I noticed that my phone is similar to the left one and it has the Belkin glass screen protector from Apple on it. I don't necessarily remember my screen being yellow out of the box and after the screen protector was installed at the Apple Store, it looks a littler more yellow.

I don't really want to remove my overly priced screen protector but I'm curious if that would be the cause of a lot of these "yellow" screens.

Of course, we could just be more used to the "blue" LCD screens that have been on the iPhones since the beginning of time, but the X is also Dolby Vision calibrated so that could also have something to do with the supposedly more natural tones.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Welcome to the fantastic world of OLED. Variances are quite common in the OLED world. It wasn't too long ago that Tim Cook was saying how terrible (AM)OLED panels were and now he has them on his flagship device. :D

Reactions: roeiz

kirkhuffy

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Philadelphia

Is true tone on or off?
[doublepost=1510330615][/doublepost]
Surprised no one has claimed it is the glue not drying, yet.

Oh it happened for the first few days after release

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
Glad to hear your opinion.

1) TT off, filter on
2) TT off, filter off
3) TT on, filter off
4) TT off, filter on
5) full screen (TT on, filter off)

Attachments

• TToff+noclib.jpg
    TToff+noclib.jpg
    667.6 KB · Views: 369
  • TTon+no_calib.jpg
    TTon+no_calib.jpg
    642.4 KB · Views: 360
  • TToff+calibr.jpg
    TToff+calibr.jpg
    700.7 KB · Views: 368
  • full.jpg
    full.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 361
  • TT+calibr.jpg
    TT+calibr.jpg
    497 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:

luca.spiga1992

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
Glad to hear your opinion.

1) full screen (TT on, filter off)
2) TT off, filter on
3) TT off, filter off
4) TT on, filter off
5) TT off, filter on

Mine is just like yours . Super yellow with tt, yellow without tt, acceptable white with calibration.

Reactions: Jutah

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
This is mine, 75% brightness with True Tone turned off. Thoughts?

8+ 75% brightness True Tone off.

Attachments

• xpscreen2.jpg
    xpscreen2.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 241
  • 8+.jpg
    8+.jpg
    807.7 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:

luca.spiga1992

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
This is mine, 75% brightness with True Tone turned off. Thoughts?

8+ 75% brightness True Tone off.

Every display is reddish \yellowish like that just set the hue in the color tint options and ull get a proper white. I personally have it at 2/3 of the bar probably a bit less.

anonymous4a

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2012
Every display is reddish \yellowish like that just set the hue in the color tint options and ull get a proper white. I personally have it at 2/3 of the bar probably a bit less.

I still couldn't get whites comparable to iphone lcd display even after playing around with color tint . I set intensity to far left and HUE to 2/3 to the right .

It's still blue compared to the iphone lcd display

Reactions: jimmy_uk

luca.spiga1992

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
I still couldn't get whites comparable to iphone lcd display even after playing around with color tint . I set intensity to far left and HUE to 2/3 to the right .

It's still blue compared to the iphone lcd display

Well yeah u will never get whites like an lcd panel. What u can do is to set it as u prefer and get as much closer u can go to ur standard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.