Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Space grey here, power button does rattle a little bit. Didn't even notice it until i read this thread, it doesn't bother me since i'm not shaking my phone.

Like many defects on Apple products discussed on this forum ... :rolleyes:

There are people speaking about "color gamut" of the iPad mini like they are professional photographer ... and they are using it for web browsing and Angry Birds !

Selmir

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
Sweden
Same here, returning my 5S. Could not justify paying 812$ for this, even after all the hard work getting the gold one. Keeping my brand new iPhone 5 (got a free replacement thanks to Amex).

Can you tell us if that rattles with the new one? I would appreciate it because I'm considering too to replace my phone. A 5S isn't cheap especially 64GB-version. And to stick with a maracas for at least two years on contract? I don't think so.

Selmir

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
Sweden
Does anyone have an iPhone 5s that DOESN'T rattle?

I checked in three of my Swedish operators 5S' if those rattles here in Gothenburg. And, yes, just like maracas. Even in other operators like Telenor, Telia and Three (3). Is this some twisted joke from Apple??

I will btw talk with Swedish Apple Store on Monday so I know what they know or IF they know about this.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Christmas will be even more joyous than ever this year with all the rattling iPhones. That includes mine. :|

If they all rattle a bit when shaken, is it really a defect or cheap manufacturing? I don't think there is anything to worry about. People have always found things wrong with EVERY iPhone model to date. It's no different with Android phones either.

gomoq13

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2013
Singapore
I'm cool with mine, though. I didn't know about the issue until I read this forum. Like some others here mentioned, I too don't shake my phone like a hyperactive energiser bunny when I'm recording videos. Lol.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I think people are nuts. SO your standing there shaking the phone while recording video and it makes noise. Thats just stupid. Under NORMAL conditions while recording video the phone doesn't make a rattle sound. Please return your iPhones and switch to android. If you had a watch on while shaking your phone like an a$$ and it made noise would you return it too? Get real...

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Mine doesn't seem to rattle. Sometimes, if I'm in a really silent room, and shake the hell out of it, I'll hear a trembling noise, as if my phone was communicating to me its frustations about getting shaked.

Knockworstface

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2013
I think people are nuts. SO your standing there shaking the phone while recording video and it makes noise. Thats just stupid. Under NORMAL conditions while recording video the phone doesn't make a rattle sound. Please return your iPhones and switch to android. If you had a watch on while shaking your phone like an a$$ and it made noise would you return it too? Get real...

Ah the voice of reason. I couldn't agree more with you. Kudos. :D

cstm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
It shouldn't rattle. Period. Pretty much the most expensive phone on the market shouldn't rattle at all, especially when it interferes with voice recording.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
It shouldn't rattle. Period. Pretty much the most expensive phone on the market shouldn't rattle at all, especially when it interferes with voice recording.

It's not anymore than any other NEW device. How much is a Galaxy S4?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

Stop shaking it like a maracas and start using normally: it will stop rattle.

joeluken

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2013
It's not anymore than any other NEW device. How much is a Galaxy S4?

In the UK the 5S I had was £709 from Apple and the Galaxy S4 is £389 sim free from Amazon.co.uk at the moment. The 5S was the 64GB version so to make it fair add the cost of micro SD card < £20 to the S4.

Last edited:

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
In the UK the 5S I had was £709 from Apple and the Galaxy S4 is £389 sim free from Amazon.co.uk at the moment. The 5S was the 64GB version so to make it fair add the cost of micro SD card < £20 to the S4.

i prefer to compare apples to apples. In the US a GALAXY S4 16Gb is $599 a iPhone 5S 16gb is $649 so $50 more for a 5S. So i'm not sure how people figure your paying a premium for Apple if $50 more dollars takes it over the top. Both are $199 with two year contracts in the US. I'd like to have a S4 and when I find one cheep enough I will get one. I prefer the 5S as a daily driver.

joeluken

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2013
i prefer to compare apples to apples. In the US a GALAXY S4 16Gb is $599 a iPhone 5S 16gb is $649 so $50 more for a 5S. So i'm not sure how people figure your paying a premium for Apple if $50 more dollars takes it over the top. Both are $199 with two year contracts in the US. I'd like to have a S4 and when I find one cheep enough I will get one. I prefer the 5S as a daily driver.

For completeness the UK 5S 16GB is £549 from Apple compared to the £389 for the S4 from Amazon.co.uk. That's a difference of £160 or roughly $254 US.

There isn't a fixed "up front" contract price for the 5S in the UK so again different countries different models.

That's how we figure we're paying a premium in this country.

Last edited:

Selmir

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
Sweden
Spoked with the Swedish Apple Care today and same reply, they don't know what it is. But I can return it if I want or replaced it. BUT, I talked again today with another guy from one of our biggest operators in his store, he showed me his (exactly the same as mine), the demo phone AND the 5C-demo phone. They all rattled. :p He also told me that one customer replaced his 5S four (4!) freakin' times and it STILL rattled lol ^^

Why Apple don't know what the hell it is, IS a bit worrying. But the Apple-guy admitted too that this was very weird and that he didn't even heard about it. Like ever. But that's because I asked him if a 1200 EUR phone is supposed to feel "premium" like this. But what if I send this one for repartition, and the next 10? Haha, this is like a virus.

I will talk to another guy/victim and ask him a couple of questions. But no one so far has admitted if this is maybe manufactured failure. And IF it is and only 1% of the owners are not affected, that would be like everyone else wants new phones. Or in worst case scenario, get rid off 5S and buy an Android phone. ^^

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Spoked with the Swedish Apple Care today and same reply, they don't know what it is. But I can return it if I want or replaced it. BUT, I talked again today with another guy from one of our biggest operators in his store, he showed me his (exactly the same as mine), the demo phone AND the 5C-demo phone. They all rattled. :p He also told me that one customer replaced his 5S four (4!) freakin' times and it STILL rattled lol ^^

Why Apple don't know what the hell it is, IS a bit worrying. But the Apple-guy admitted too that this was very weird and that he didn't even heard about it. Like ever. But that's because I asked him if a 1200 EUR phone is supposed to feel "premium" like this. But what if I send this one for repartition, and the next 10? Haha, this is like a virus.

I will talk to another guy/victim and ask him a couple of questions. But no one so far has admitted if this is maybe manufactured failure. And IF it is and only 1% of the owners are not affected, that would be like everyone else wants new phones. Or in worst case scenario, get rid off 5S and buy an Android phone. ^^

If they all do it, I don't think it's a defect.

Selmir

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
Sweden
If they all do it, I don't think it's a defect.

Maybe you're right, but why are some people here saying that it don't rattle at all? Haha, maybe THEIRS is defect lol :D To be honest, if I even bothered to look at this thread last week, I would probably not notice this weird "virus" at all. ^^

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Maybe you're right, but why are some people here saying that it don't rattle at all? Haha, maybe THEIRS is defect lol :D To be honest, if I even bothered to look at this thread last week, I would probably not notice this weird "virus" at all. ^^

Exactly. What's telling US here that this is not a defect is that people are returning them multiple times and the replacement does the same thing. Return the phone 100 times and it will have the same "issue" 100 times. There is nothing wrong with the phone, it's the way it is built and the materials used.

I thought this thread was ridiculous till I read that someone complained about the home button making a clicking sound. Ummm well, they all do that, at least on the 5S. That's not a defect either.

Selmir

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
Sweden
Exactly. What's telling US here that this is not a defect is that people are returning them multiple times and the replacement does the same thing. Return the phone 100 times and it will have the same "issue" 100 times. There is nothing wrong with the phone, it's the way it is built and the materials used.

I thought this thread was ridiculous till I read that someone complained about the home button making a clicking sound. Ummm well, they all do that, at least on the 5S. That's not a defect either.

True! ;D Well, home button in my case it's not making any clicking sound what so ever, BUT my old 4S had that haha :D Unfortunately that on/off-button jammed so I got a new - and with same clicking sound! :D Jesus of Suburbia, what a soup! ^^ I just wonder how many will return their phones only to get a pinch of yellow on the screen or god knows what! ^^ I don't think I'll take such risk. :D

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
True! ;D Well, home button in my case it's not making any clicking sound what so ever, BUT my old 4S had that haha :D Unfortunately that on/off-button jammed so I got a new - and with same clicking sound! :D Jesus of Suburbia, what a soup! ^^ I just wonder how many will return their phones only to get a pinch of yellow on the screen or god knows what! ^^ I don't think I'll take such risk. :D

Just enjoy your phone and enjoy your life. It's Thanksgiving week. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.