Enable the macOS start up sound on the touch bar MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lounge vibes 05, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Lounge vibes 05 macrumors newbie

I would like to start this by saying that I respect Apple's decision to remove the start up sound, because many people have found it to be more of an annoyance, rather than a convenience. Me, how ever, am on the other side of that argument. I am a blind Mac user, who enjoyed having an audible noise to let me know that my system was working fine. I have tried many things, (Terminal commands, automater applications, etc), but none of them have been successful. So, can someone please tell me how to get it back.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, Late 2016, 2.9 Intel Dool I5, 13.3 inch, 512 gig SSD, Mac OS 10.12.3

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Don't think it's possible. At least I haven't seen anyone succeed in doing it, despite some early claims. Does VoiceOver let you know when the computer is successfully booted?

3. Lounge vibes 05 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried this, and it doesn't work
    --- Post Merged, Feb 17, 2017 ---
    Your probably right

4. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Of all the changes to the MacBook Pro, I miss the startup chime the most. I never realized how accustom to it I had become.

5. Lounge vibes 05 thread starter macrumors newbie

It was devastating

6. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Y'know I do miss the startup chime, it's something I've been so accustomed to for so long that it just doesn't seem quite right for it not to be there.

Having said that, the damn thing starts so quickly there's not much opportunity to miss it. Even from a cold boot there's barely a couple of seconds between hitting the power button and the log-in screen appearing. So much so that I think the boot time would actually be longer if the chime played. Maybe not, but it just feels that way.

If that's the case and it may well not be, I'll take the way it is over the chime playing. The new MacBook is definitely the fastest boot-up of any system I've had yet and I like me a bit of speed.

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Apple has blocked the hole(s) that once (ever so briefly) allowed a user to return the chime via terminal.

8. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Wonder why they care so much.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah... that trick did work and I read somewhere a firmware update blocked it. :(

10. Altis macrumors 68020

That's just how Apple is. They seem to like to force their way, even when it doesn't seem to matter at all.