Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Folks, lets not get worked up over others opinions or a products features or shortcomings.
We all make our personal choices with what device works for us and vote with our wallets.
If you like the new iPhone X simply go and purchase one, if not then dont waste your money.
Personally I would like to test it out in person when its available at the Apple store to be sure.
But I dont feel compelled to spend about $1100 with sales tax to get one and upgrade from my 7 Plus.
The loss of Touch ID is a big drawback and dealing with Face ID sounds annoying to me. Also the OLED screen addition doesnt make me feel that the high price-tag justifies the cost of the phone.

And...you have 14 days to try it out. It can always be returned.

AppleZombie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
SoCal
The phone did not fail. Apple has just become incompetent at getting their Keynotes ready to go.

They had plenty of time to get phones ready for this presentation and FAILED miserably. There is simple no excuse.

If they FAILED at presenting a product feature properly should we trust that the product itself is ready to go?

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Was not a FACE ID fail. It was just a mess up in the presentation which then has fed into people's worries about it already. Not what worried personally but can see why a lot are.

Damstr

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2016
Still wondering why this thread is open. It was a blunder on Apple's part by not taking proper precautions before doing the live demo. FaceID did not fail, it did exactly what it was supposed to. What is left to talk about?

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
All this capitalization. Must be really important.

Let me see:

FAIL

Fail

Why, you're right! I couldn't see it in lower case. My bad.

iteklog

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
NNJ/NYC
People always have to find an excuse to add their negative comments and talk crap without even knowing.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Still wondering why this thread is open. It was a blunder on Apple's part by not taking proper precautions before doing the live demo. FaceID did not fail, it did exactly what it was supposed to. What is left to talk about?
But that's too rational. And UnboxTherapy would not be able to get 2mil views on YouTube using a rational explanation. SMH

Reactions: ascender

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
From what I saw, you still have to swipe up to unlock, so just looking at it would not unlock the phone. Well, when Face ID actually works...lol.

For me it looked like it would unlock by looking at it, the padlock changes, and when you swipe you get rid of the lock screen , which is already unlocked.

TruBleu

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
The Hague, Netherlands
Well, I think it might actually be a good thing that it 'failed' during the keynote (I was doubtful at these beginning; but apple's response has removed my doubts). This 'failure' is only going to lead to the feature being scrutinised more thoroughly than when it would have been if everything had gone smoothly during these presentation. And this is one feature that I would want to be absolutely sure of before I place my order. So this multifold increase in scrutiny is only going to help me decide better.

If I'm not mistaken, don't media people get handsets sent to them, and they use it over several days and then post detailed reviews? If that's the case, I bet face id will be the number one feature they're going to pry apart to see whether it fails.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
Apple said, “After failing a number of times, because they weren’t Craig, the iPhone did what it was designed to do, which was to require his passcode. Face ID worked as it was designed to.

So why didn't it wake up to the passcode screen? Why did that only appear after he attempted to unlock it with his face?

Mind you, demos are notorious for failing, and we've all had TouchId not work at times.

Still, people are curious about what really happened, especially since Apple's answer seems lacking. In any case, many people will be able to test this soon for themselves.

What I find odd if Apple's story is true, is how a technician could see the passcode screen come up (it would have had to come up if it tried to ID the tech's face twice to require the passcode later), and then still the technician decides to leave it like that for the presenter. This seems very unlikely unless the technician knew nothing about iPhones or was very inept. It just doesn't seem plausible. Apple wouldn't just leave the handling of a new iPhone X for the crucial demo to just anyone, typically it would be a very trusted assistant I would think. This almost reflects worse on Apple's team than if the Face ID had actually failed as a fluke.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
The phone did not fail. Apple has just become incompetent at getting their Keynotes ready to go.

They had plenty of time to get phones ready for this presentation and FAILED miserably. There is simple no excuse.

If they FAILED at presenting a product feature properly should we trust that the product itself is ready to go?

This is a formal fallacy and a pretty sensationalist conclusion. This was simply an example of a presentation team checklist failure, not a functional failure on the part of the 1000 product and software engineers who actually built the product.

I'm sure I could google plenty of demos from car manufacturers to household appliances that failed in a product demo at some point.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
This is a formal fallacy and a pretty sensationalist conclusion. This was simply an example of a presentation team checklist failure, not a functional failure on the part of the 1000 product and software engineers who actually built the product.

I'm sure I could google plenty of demos from car manufacturers to household appliances that failed in a product demo at some point.

But snarky works so well on this forum! :D

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
The reaction to this has just been typical of how the tech industry is reported-on and discussed these days. Some of those Youtube reviewers sum up exactly what's wrong with what many consider to be reporting or analysis these days.

Interesting piece from Daring Fireball's post today.

There is clearly skepticism out there about Face ID. Some people think Face ID is going to suck, and a lot of people are flat-out assuming that they’re going to miss Touch ID. We saw the same thing with Touch ID when it was announced, and the skeptics were very wrong. I haven’t used it personally, but I am pretty sure already that the skeptics are going to be wrong about Face ID too. This piece at Ars Technica by Ron Amadeo is going to age poorly, I suspect.

The only time I’ve spent playing with an iPhone X was about 10-15 minutes in the hands-on area after the event, and I did not get a chance to try Face ID. But I spent time — both officially, as a member of the media, and unofficially, as a friend — with several Apple employees who are already carrying an iPhone X as their daily-use phone, and from what I observed and from what they told me — and again, several of these employees are engineers, not PR or product marketing folks — it just works. You don’t have to think about it. According to them, you get used to not thinking about it very quickly, and when you go back to a Touch ID device, it feels broken that you have to touch the button to unlock the device.

One of the places where I saw it working — instantly and effortlessly — was a really dark room. It just works.

Reactions: kormsby

bsmith4832

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
North East, USA
Folks, lets not get worked up over others opinions or a products features or shortcomings.
We all make our personal choices with what device works for us and vote with our wallets.
If you like the new iPhone X simply go and purchase one, if not then dont waste your money.
Personally I would like to test it out in person when its available at the Apple store to be sure.
But I dont feel compelled to spend about $1100 with sales tax to get one and upgrade from my 7 Plus.
The loss of Touch ID is a big drawback and dealing with Face ID sounds annoying to me. Also the OLED screen addition doesnt make me feel that the high price-tag justifies the cost of the phone.

I'm with you 100%. The 8 Plus obviously isn't worth the upgrade from my current 7 Plus. The X might be worth it. However, the loss of TouchID is a major drawback for me. I generally stand behind new designs and new trends... but this just seems backwards. I have no doubt that FaceID will work as designed. But... TouchID works so damn well. It's fast, efficient, and almost unnoticeable that I'm even authenticating to unlock. Couple that with how many times at work I unlock my phone (while on my desk) without picking it up makes FaceID seem like more of a chore for me than it's worth.

I'm with you though - I want to try it out and see how it works first. But I will say for sure I won't be pre-ordering this iteration until I see and use it in person... which is a first for me in nearly 10 years.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
Weather or not FaceID failed to me is not the issue. The issue to me is that apple decided to replace TouchID with something that is not superior. If I understand correctly, in order to use FID, I will need to lift my phone so my face can be scanned, then swipe up from the bottom to get to the home screen. I don't see how this is better?

I am able to be on my home screen even before I pull my phone out of my pocket just with TID. With FID, I would need to take my phone out of my pocket, lift my phone so my face can be scanned, then swipe up from the bottom to get to the home screen.

This whole FID thing just seems like a temporary fix before TID returns embedded in the screen in 2018. After all, apple was working very hard in trying to solve TID. Did they really abandon all that work?

Edit:
'Not Superior' may be the wrong choice of a words to use to describe FaceID in comparison to TouchID. It certainly is groundbreaking technology, and of course apple is leaps ahead of the competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: mwa and Applejuiced

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
This whole FID thing just seems like a temporary fix before TID returns embedded in the screen in 2018. After all, apple was working very hard in trying to solve TID. Did they really abandon all that work?

That's one of the rumours which was reported, but its not the reason according to John Gruber's article which I posted in the one above yours.

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
That's one of the rumours which was reported, but its not the reason according to John Gruber's article which I posted in the one above yours.

I thought 3D touch was a gimmick until I upgraded to the 7+. Now I cannot imagine ever having a phone that does not have 3D touch. Perhaps I'll learn the same thing from FID? But 3D touch was not a solution to a different issue that apple could not solve. Where as TouchID was being worked on up to the very end before apple had to abandon plans and go solely with FaceID. If we are to believe some of these reports and rumors. apple toyed with the notion of putting TID on the back of the phone.

Until I have an X in my possession where I can use FID, for the moment I cannot see how it is better than TID. TID is certainly faster. Less interaction to use it. Has never failed me. I can't imagine not being able to use it.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Everything? This is Apple, anything and everything will be overblown and put into spotlight x10.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Where as TouchID was being worked on up to the very end before apple had to abandon plans and go solely with FaceID. If we are to believe some of these reports and rumors. apple toyed with the notion of putting TID on the back of the phone.

Until I have an X in my possession where I can use FID, for the moment I cannot see how it is better than TID. TID is certainly faster. Less interaction to use it. Has never failed me. I can't imagine not being able to use it.

But that's just it, its rumours. Gruber's contacts seem to refute those rumours and I can't for one second believe Apple would have worked like that, let alone have the time to leave something like that right up until the "end" and still have any hope of having a finished device ready for sale, let alone millions of them manufactured. I bet the hardware specs of the X were locked down a very long time ago.

I guess until people have them in their hands or we get some reviews which are based on decent time with the X, we just won't know.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
But that's just it, its rumours. Gruber's contacts seem to refute those rumours and I can't for one second believe Apple would have worked like that, let alone have the time to leave something like that right up until the "end" and still have any hope of having a finished device ready for sale, let alone millions of them manufactured. I bet the hardware specs of the X were locked down a very long time ago.

I guess until people have them in their hands or we get some reviews which are based on decent time with the X, we just won't know.
I think what most likely happened is Apple had two teams working at the same time.
One with Face ID and one with touch ID under the display. When it became too difficult for touch ID to work apple choose Face ID team.

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
I can't for one second believe Apple would have worked like that, let alone have the time to leave something like that right up until the "end" and still have any hope of having a finished device ready for sale, let alone millions of them manufactured

Of course apple works on many prototypes before finalizing a choice. I am sure they worked on many while working on the X. All the leaks pointed to TID being embedded in the screen until apple could not solve the issue. Was all that work abandoned? I believe apple did not wish to abandon TID, but was forced to when they could not do it right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.