FaceID Fail?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by willmtaylor, Sep 12, 2017.

1. StarShot macrumors 6502

StarShot

BIG WHOOP. Something like that happened to Steve Jobs several years back. I noticed the backup keyboard pin screen showed up. So doesn't bother me one bit. The same thing has happened countless times with the finger print not working.

2. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

And no one here ever had Touch ID fail on them. Ever. :D

I love the silly season before the new iPhone start arriving. So much angst and hand-wringing, so much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

3. QueenTyrone macrumors 6502

QueenTyrone

My fingers are just greasy. They get so oily I could fil a frying pan with it lol. I was my hands a lot

4. dojoman macrumors 65816

David Pogue contacted Apple why it failed on stage. Here is the explaination straight from horse’s mouth and finally put this thing to rest.

What happened with Apple Face ID fail

Tonight, I was able to contact Apple. After examining the logs of the demo iPhone X, they now know exactly what went down. Turns out my first theory in this story was wrong—but my first UPDATE theory above was correct: “People were handling the device for stage demo ahead of time,” says a rep, “and didn’t realize Face ID was trying to authenticate their face. After failing a number of times, because they weren’t Craig, the iPhone did what it was designed to do, which was to require his passcode.” In other words, “Face ID worked as it was designed to.”

5. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

ok good I asked a question and you answered it. I had to confirm because I couldn't believe that passcode would be removed. I'm not touching FaceID. I will touch TouchID :)

6. uwdude, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

uwdude macrumors 6502a

I'm not real sure that I buy that. Face ID according to a recent article here on Macrumors, only tries twice before giving that message. Seems like it would have been on the passcode screen before he tried Face ID if it was already failed. I guess we would have to test that with a Touch ID device and see what screens appear after failing and going back to sleep. I think the simple answer is it just failed to recognize his face, with the lighting and makeup not helping. The complicated answer would be either a major screwup putting the wrong phone there or espionage, someone getting paid to make sure the wrong phone was there or retrained to another face. Don't forget there are millions of dollars at stake with this one single demo going correctly, possibly even billions.

Also just another thought, if their story is correct, why did the backup phone not also fail? It was likely handled identically. This brings up more questions than it answers. Also if this is the case, if your phone is sitting on a table or if you have it in your hand locked, is it going to try to authenticate every face that walks by? Your server? The person behind you on the subway?

7. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. The "button" on my 7 still feels the same after a year's of use. I didn't like the feel at first, but now I don't want it replaced lol.

8. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

The camera has to see you it doesn't work when you are not in front of the phone , thats what he mention , he doesn't talk about front of the face failed attempts

9. dojoman macrumors 65816

It’s up to you to decide whether it really failed simply becauseva problem with Face ID. If you theory is correct then why the back up phone works?

10. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

Wrong , if it failed to recognize Craig the padlock icon would shake like it does for failed touch ID , but it never shakes even once on screen during the conference

11. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

You do realize what you may see as a likelihood, may not be likely at all.

If someone touches your phone's Touch ID with their finger enough times it will ask you for password.

Since we are talking likelihoods, it's likely that their is a distance component built into face ID. Such that people behind you won't activate it.

On top of that if you are using your iPhone X, it will be monitoring you constantly to see if you are looking at screen. If you are, message beeps will be disabled, and it will act differently then if you look away. The face monitoring is constant.

12. uwdude macrumors 6502a

Well we don't know that it still shakes or not in iOS 11, does it? He still tried it twice, and then the passcode screen came up. I'm just not buying it so far that it was already passcode locked before he picked it up. I'm going to watch the video again, and I'm also testing the fail procedure again on an iphone.

13. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

I had to read it twice, I get it LOL. "Not touching FaceID" good thing I wasn't drinking anything, ipad would have been sprayed.

14. uwdude macrumors 6502a

It does seem to me like it's going to scan everybody's face within a certain distance, which will not be a plus for me. Like if you're in the pool with the phone sitting there on the edge, and someone sits down there it's probably going to passcode lock your phone when that other person didn't even mean to snoop.

15. santela macrumors member

This actually sounds very plausible to me.

1. We know it's not because the phone was restarted since the message shown was different.
    2. Some people mentioned the lock didn't shake so it wasn't trying to identify the face. Makes sense since it already reached its maximum 2 attempts.
    3. The 2nd phone worked as it should have.

I'm pissed we lost Touch ID, possibly my favorite feature on my phone, but since now we are stuck with this less convenient method I have no option but to root for it.

16. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

People arguing face ID did not fail and getting analytical to a fault, conversely, one could argue face ID didn't really necessarily suceeed either. :p

17. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Mine are dry. I am constantly washing them because I work outdoors a lot (semi rural living) and I am also always cleaning up stuff around here. So it's either problems with chapped hands or I've got lotion on. :rolleyes:

Hmm...I guess I'd better give the iPhone X a try then. o_O

18. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Good for you. Knock yourself out! :D

19. QueenTyrone macrumors 6502

QueenTyrone

Yup! Looks like we're both in the iPhone x boat

20. ajiuo macrumors 65816

That is actually a zoomed in mode. Normally it displays at 16x9 so the sides are cropped. If you double tap the screen it expands to fill the whole screen like shown in the demo. They actually were clear about this.... Apple just had it in zoomed mode most of the time because they wanted to show off the display for the demo

21. ajiuo macrumors 65816

Honestly I think the only true fail at this event was the name “AirPower” for their wireless charger. Sounds like some karate move from a cheap 1980s cartoon.

22. gigiwong Suspended

At the end Cook asked staff to stand up, more than half are staff

23. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

First time they saw iPhone X. So that's what we been working on. Who knew?

24. zerolight macrumors 6502

zerolight

Scan the same finger more than once. Different times of the day. I have a scan when my hands are "normal" slightly oily. I have another straight out the shower when they are really dry. And another when more greasy. It's very rare I get a failed touchID on the last two iphones I've owned.

25. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

It still shakes . it shook during hands on on plenty of YouTube videos