FaceID Fail?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by willmtaylor, Sep 12, 2017.

1. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

Why is this non-story thread even pinned?

2. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Federighi confirmed Face ID did not fail.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...fail-onstage-during-iphone-x-keynote.2067191/

Comment from article.

"Tonight, I was able to contact Apple. After examining the logs of the demo iPhone X, they now know exactly what went down. Turns out my first theory in this story was wrong--but my first UPDATE theory above was correct: "People were handling the device for stage demo ahead of time," says a rep, "and didn't realize Face ID was trying to authenticate their face. After failing a number of times, because they weren't Craig, the iPhone did what it was designed to do, which was to require his passcode." In other words, "Face ID worked as it was designed to."

3. JayJohnPaul macrumors regular

JayJohnPaul

At least it didn't explode... I'm just saying...

4. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Wouldn't the person have to look directly at the phone with eyes open. Seems like snooping to me.

5. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Great idea! I actually don't have a problem with Touch ID on my current iPhone but it's my Samsung S8+. This is the best fingerprint scanner I've encountered on a Samsung, but it is still hit or miss. And it's in a bad location for most people, though I've gotten used to it. It also has Face scanning but it's not secure enough for me. It also offers Iris scanning, but that hurts my eyes a lot for some reason, which is unfortunate because it works well. I'm glad Apple didn't go with iris scanning.

6. uwdude macrumors 6502a

Well I would consider just looking down at someone's phone a lot less snooping than actually trying to push the home button, but I guess we have different definitions.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 14, 2017 at 4:07 AM ---
    Well if we have really got a production assistant or whoever laid out the iPhones as seeing that it is trying to ID and the passcode screen coming up, and then just leaving it there for Federighi like that, then that person is terribly inept and should not be doing that job anymore. But I still am not buying that someone just left the phone in that state accidentally knowing it was going to be used in the demo. The passcode screen would have had to be showing and then left like that to go back to sleep in order for this to have happened.

7. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It was front page for major blogs, websites, and even late-night TV fodder. MR has aalready run several stories and updates on it themselves.

Not sure why you can’t understand how a major innovation not working as designed during the keynote address isn’t important.

8. Pnr2020 macrumors member

Pnr2020

Of course they said it didn't fail. That not going to make a statement saying it did fail are they

9. Damstr, Sep 14, 2017 at 5:14 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2017 at 6:20 AM

Damstr macrumors regular

It didn't fail period. Accept it or just buy something else.

10. Melrose, Sep 14, 2017 at 5:18 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2017 at 6:20 AM

Melrose Suspended

Melrose

It didn't fail, that's the point.

This chap sums it up best:

11. Melrose, Sep 14, 2017 at 5:20 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2017 at 6:21 AM

Melrose Suspended

Melrose

But you're spinning it as an error, nay, a major blunder.

Which it's not. /thread.

12. Damstr, Sep 14, 2017 at 5:36 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2017 at 6:22 AM

Damstr macrumors regular

The phone did perform exactly how Apple designed it which is to require a passcode after a few failed attempts. They failed on the prep work absolutely for preparing the iPhone for the live demo. That shouldn't of happened but don't say the didn't perform as expected when it did exactly what it should do...

All the people complaining about FaceID failing especially you were just put in their place. All that arguing was for absolutely nothing. Coming up with BS excuses as to why it "failed" so you could feel better about yourself.

This thread should be closed as it is completely untrue. There is nothing more to discuss since it didn't fail.

13. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

How am I spinning it? I posted this thread 30 seconds after the event happened. Everyone has been wondering what happened and why it happened. Some are posting one side and some the other. Major voices are all weighing in on whether it is indeed a blunder or not. Not sure if you're being an apologist or simply extremely confident in your own dogmatism here.

As I said before, this thread was posted less than a minute after the event, and all have been trying to sort out exactly what happened before folks drop $1,000+ on a device sans TouchID. Not sure why you seem so hostile and dogmatic.

14. Melrose, Sep 14, 2017 at 5:58 AM
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017 at 6:04 AM

Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Then why did you say this half an hour ago:
    It's now 24 hours later, the issue has been satisfactorily answered, and you're still complaining about it being a failure.

It's not a failure. Your original assumption was valid, and now it's not. Time has answered the question. Time to change your mind.

:)

15. creamz macrumors member

creamz

They could have both face id and touch id. I tend to do a lot of quick check on my phone while it is flat on the table. Now for me to have to hold the phone up to unlock it only to put it back down again is a major inconveniences. So what do I do if I don't choose to adapt? Go back to the old fashion way of entering my passcode each time? This is clearly a major step backward imo.

16. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

...so you’re stipulating what happened during the keynote was planned or a good thing? I think Craig & Tim would disagree.

17. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I think you're just hung up on your original idea that it was a failure is all, which wasn't wrong at the time, just misinformed and some might argue premature. Now you're projecting things on me that I never said or insinuated, in order to make it look better.

Insisting your initial assumption is still correct is foolish. Let it go.

Peace out. :)

18. Pnr2020 macrumors member

Pnr2020

oh sorry I didn't know you worked for apple and know that for certain.

19. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Don’t prop up a straw man simply because I refuse to swallow your doublespeak.

I honestly don’t care if I’m right or wrong. I simply wanted to get to the bottom of the issue.

20. Melrose, Sep 14, 2017 at 7:24 AM
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017 at 7:29 AM

Melrose Suspended

Melrose

That is seriously pretty sad.

21. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

In regards to an iPhone demo’s failure? Nah.

22. Radon87000, Sep 14, 2017 at 10:51 AM
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017 at 11:00 AM

Radon87000 macrumors 601

Why will Apple issue a statement saying it failed? This is common sense. It did fail. We dont know why. The reviews will tell us.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Folks, lets not get worked up over others opinions or a products features or shortcomings.
    We all make our personal choices with what device works for us and vote with our wallets.
    If you like the new iPhone X simply go and purchase one, if not then dont waste your money.
    Personally I would like to test it out in person when its available at the Apple store to be sure.
    But I dont feel compelled to spend about $1100 with sales tax to get one and upgrade from my 7 Plus.
    The loss of Touch ID is a big drawback and dealing with Face ID sounds annoying to me. Also the OLED screen addition doesnt make me feel that the high price-tag justifies the cost of the phone.

24. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

No matter the reason behind why it didn't work on the first try, the fact is it still did not work as expected when it came time to demo for the very first time and that's not a good look for Apple any way you slice it.

Frankly, if the first device got locked out because too many people looked at it before the demo then I'd say Craig was fortunate that the same problem didn't afflict the backup phone as it's not hard to imagine people looking at the backup, too.

25. kdarling, Sep 14, 2017 at 11:34 AM
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017 at 11:45 AM

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Apple said, “After failing a number of times, because they weren’t Craig, the iPhone did what it was designed to do, which was to require his passcode. Face ID worked as it was designed to.

So why didn't it wake up to the passcode screen? Why did that only appear after he attempted to unlock it with his face?

Mind you, demos are notorious for failing, and we've all had TouchId not work at times.

Still, people are curious about what really happened, especially since Apple's answer seems lacking. In any case, many people will be able to test this soon for themselves.