Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Right, Im the same way with my phone laying on the right of my desk and obviously the Face ID pointing to the ceiling.
I listen to music and skip songs here and there. I use pandora to thumbs up or down some etc..
In order to do that now with an iPhone X I'd have to lift up the phone to my face each time and will be selfie time :D
Tons of selfies throughout the day and that will feel kind silly :D

I'm with you 100%. The 8 Plus obviously isn't worth the upgrade from my current 7 Plus. The X might be worth it. However, the loss of TouchID is a major drawback for me. I generally stand behind new designs and new trends... but this just seems backwards. I have no doubt that FaceID will work as designed. But... TouchID works so damn well. It's fast, efficient, and almost unnoticeable that I'm even authenticating to unlock. Couple that with how many times at work I unlock my phone (while on my desk) without picking it up makes FaceID seem like more of a chore for me than it's worth.

I'm with you though - I want to try it out and see how it works first. But I will say for sure I won't be pre-ordering this iteration until I see and use it in person... which is a first for me in nearly 10 years.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I thought they showed in the promo videos that you don't have to pick it up to use it? So if its lying on your desk, you just have to have the sensors in your eyeline to authenticate?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Right, you either stick your face on top of the phone while its lying flat on the desk or you pick it up and point it towards you face.
Mine is usually on the further right corner of the desk. The keyboard and mouse pad are in front of me.

I thought they showed in the promo videos that you don't have to pick it up to use it? So if its lying on your desk, you just have to have the sensors in your eyeline to authenticate?

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
There's no point worrying about the details until some of the tech press have review units and we'll get some decent feedback on how it works.

In your specific use case, how big is your desk? If I have my phone to the right of my keyboard and trackpad, I'd just have to lean over slightly for it to be in my eye-line. And presumably the advantage over touchID in this case is I don't have to move my hands from the keyboard in order to wake the screen up?

Just playing devil's advocate, because I can see how that particular case could actually be better than touchid?

The devil's in the details, I'm interested to see what the reviewers think with some decent time.

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
The reaction to this has just been typical of how the tech industry is reported-on and discussed these days. Some of those Youtube reviewers sum up exactly what's wrong with what many consider to be reporting or analysis these days.

Interesting piece from Daring Fireball's post today.

It would be interesting if it hadn't come from Gruber who, lets be honest, might aswell be on the Apple payroll.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I'll have to play with it in person and see. Just not happy about not giving us an option on the highest end device not be able to choose and stuck with face ID but no touch ID.
I wouldnt want to slide my face over to the corner of the desk to unlock the phone :D
And I will still have to use my hands to skip tracks or open up anything with the phone :)

There's no point worrying about the details until some of the tech press have review units and we'll get some decent feedback on how it works.

In your specific use case, how big is your desk? If I have my phone to the right of my keyboard and trackpad, I'd just have to lean over slightly for it to be in my eye-line. And presumably the advantage over touchID in this case is I don't have to move my hands from the keyboard in order to wake the screen up?

Just playing devil's advocate, because I can see how that particular case could actually be better than touchid?

The devil's in the details, I'm interested to see what the reviewers think with some decent time.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I'll have to play with it in person and see. Just not happy about not giving us an option on the highest end device not be able to choose and stuck with face ID but no touch ID.
I wouldnt want to slide my face over to the corner of the desk to unlock the phone :D
And I will still have to use my hands to skip tracks or open up anything with the phone :)

I also have concerns about the practicality of Face ID over Touch ID. I love Touch ID, so I'll probably use my 14 Day return period to evaluate the X and decide.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Mac Tyson

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Couldn't they have just used the face ID tech but apply it for fingerprints instead?

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
I think both Samsung and Apple wanted their fingerprint sensor to work under the display but both are struggling to get it working if rumours are to be believed. Seems plausible.

Maybe I am one of the lucky ones. My Samsung 8+ facial recognition has worked without fail since March of this year. I use it all the time. I just used it via Samsung Pay to buy some goodies in Panera - where I am typing this now.

Mac Tyson

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
I think both Samsung and Apple wanted their fingerprint sensor to work under the display but both are struggling to get it working if rumours are to be believed. Seems plausible.

I was talking about the face id sensors to scan fingerprint instead of having the touch id sensor under the glass.

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
I also have concerns about the practicality of Face ID over Touch ID. I love Touch ID, so I'll probably use my 14 Day return period to evaluate the X and decide.
HERE I COME!!!
Rolling%20laughter.gif

So what you have decided after the keynote?Which one are you getting and which Color?

I am going to wait unit November
Frustration.gif
and getting iPhone X in Space Grey 64 GB

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I'm over this concern.

Watching the many hands-on videos I've seen Face ID work reliably & quickly enough has convinced me this is nothing to worry about with the X.

People will continue to panic & criticise the big bad Apple corporation over this because of the keynote blunder, but in reality, it's a non-issue.

stabile007

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
it did 100% fail:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/no-no-no-face-id-did-fail-heres-why.2068006/
[doublepost=1505527926][/doublepost]It did fail hard:

The problem all these YouTube video...makers I guess make is they are assuming this works like a normal photographic camera does. But they don't. These things work by bathing your face in an infrared pattern and analyzing that. It is reading the map of your facial layout. You move your head around for the positional data so you can unlock it off axis since it's a phone. The reason glasses and beards don't really affect it is because IR can transmit through the lenses just fine and the frames and small amounts of beard hair that throw it off can be countered in software. Facial oils and sweat don't really affect infared light. Heck it barely influences regular light in most circumstances. I honestly think he was just wiping sweat off his face either because he just doesn't like being sweaty and was nervous.

I will say I have usability concerns like: How well those this work when in a car trying to change podcasts; or does it have issues with being too far or too close. But that's more usability issues than technical ones.

Reactions: ascender

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
HERE I COME!!!
Rolling%20laughter.gif

So what you have decided after the keynote?Which one are you getting and which Color?

I am going to wait unit November
Frustration.gif
and getting iPhone X in Space Grey 64 GB

I'm really starting to lean away from the X and toward the 8 Plus. I always go for the top tier model of almost anything, but the X has a beta feel that I just can't shake. 16:9 videos in true aspect ratio will be larger on the Plus than on the X, and I'm not convinced that Face ID will be as practical in all situations as Touch ID. I often unlock my phone before even raising it to look at it.

I'll probably get the 6"+ iPhone next year. I won't be able to resist an OLED screen in an iPhone for much longer. :)

Reactions: Applejuiced

Retroglide08

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
Well, this seems really old fashioned, I watched the keynote and had the money for the iPhone X. BUT, after some pause for thought, I like the bezels on the 7 Plus, I remember owning the S7 Edge and became quite annoyed with fingers and parts of the palm encroaching onto the screen. Secondly, I love Touch ID. I reach to pick the phone up or out of a pocket and by the time I see the home screen it’s unlocked. Spec wise, I’m not bother with the Animoji and feel the Face ID would be cumbersome regarding bringing the phone up, especially in public giving anyone a clearer chance of snapping a phone away. I’m by no means disrespecting the X it’s a wonderful piece of technology. I’m gonna grab an 8 Plus (same chipset as the X and can live without the telephoto ois) and hopefully see what next year brings with the replacement for the X.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Well, this seems really old fashioned, I watched the keynote and had the money for the iPhone X. BUT, after some pause for thought, I like the bezels on the 7 Plus, I remember owning the S7 Edge and became quite annoyed with fingers and parts of the palm encroaching onto the screen. Secondly, I love Touch ID. I reach to pick the phone up or out of a pocket and by the time I see the home screen it’s unlocked. Spec wise, I’m not bother with the Animoji and feel the Face ID would be cumbersome regarding bringing the phone up, especially in public giving anyone a clearer chance of snapping a phone away. I’m by no means disrespecting the X it’s a wonderful piece of technology. I’m gonna grab an 8 Plus (same chipset as the X and can live without the telephoto ois) and hopefully see what next year brings with the replacement for the X.

Your sentiments echo mine pretty well. I just ordered a 256GB Space Gray 8 Plus for store pickup a few minutes ago.

Reactions: Retroglide08

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Apple can state all they want but face ID failed hard. The first time he clearly raised the iphone to his head and it failed to read his face, and didnt do anything(or tell him to try again, both wrong)
Then the second time it asked for the passcode.
So yes maybe it tried to read some faces before the demo but he had still 1 attempt left or a bug made the iphone not read his face at all.

Now, I think from seeing the hands on that it works decently, but also failed sometimes.
I'm just hoping it will work in bright sunlight in the summer and when its lying flat on a desk.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I'm really starting to lean away from the X and toward the 8 Plus. I always go for the top tier model of almost anything, but the X has a beta feel that I just can't shake. 16:9 videos in true aspect ratio will be larger on the Plus than on the X, and I'm not convinced that Face ID will be as practical in all situations as Touch ID. I often unlock my phone before even raising it to look at it.

I'll probably get the 6"+ iPhone next year. I won't be able to resist an OLED screen in an iPhone for much longer. :)
I am also comflicted on the size. Do you think I may find it smaller moving to the X? Doesn't the screen have more vertical height to compensate?

Reactions: Retroglide08
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.