FaceID Fail?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by willmtaylor, Sep 12, 2017.

1. af21187 macrumors 6502

Blows my mind this topic got pinned to the top.

2. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

There's nothing surreal about it

1. We already know this will be a slow and more deliberate two-step process. There is no avoiding that when you need to hold the camera up to your face to ID it. If Apple had created a tech where the phone camera could scan you are some extreme angle, like the moment the camera leaves your pocket, then it may be as fast as touchID. But from what we have seen, that is not the case.

2. We have already seen real-life demonstrations and failures. Even on-stage. Even if we brush that aside, we have seen how it behaves in the journalist youtube videos. Even without any false positives or negatives, you can tell it will be a slower more deliberate process compared to TouchID.

If you have not used a FaceID scanner before on a phone, then you probably just won't understand why it won't be fun to use every time you want to unlock your phone.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying it will be horrible. We are probably talking a few milliseconds and a few false negatives here and there. But TouchID is a better tech until someone can make that great leap forward in ID'ing a face at extreme angles. And no one does that currently.

3. Rob_2811 macrumors 65816

Another quote from David Pierce for Wired..

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is not any judgement either way about the topic. The problem is we were having multiple threads started on this same topic, so the hope is by having it stickied people would notice and not start new threads.

5. Raist3001 macrumors regular

Raist3001

I will not be a bit surprised when we see TouchID return in 2018 embedded in the screen. Seems FaceID alone was a solution to the TouchID issue which is what Apple wanted to have for this release, but could not make it work.

6. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I think this is definitely gonna happen and is one of the main reasons I'll be waiting until the X2 or whatever it's gonna be called.

7. LaRRinco macrumors newbie

LaRRinco

It's well known that Apple is investigating the implementation of Touch ID IN the screen... so... yeah we'll see sooner or later.

8. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502

I don't get why Apple couldn't implement Touch ID on the back of the phone like the Pixel, S8, or LG phones do.

9. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Didn't read entire thread but anyone else feel this is super gimmicky?

10. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502

Not just gimmicky, I really don't like it at all. I will be getting a 7 Plus or 8 Plus 256GB to upgrade my 6S 128GB, I will not consider the X because of the price tag and Face ID replacing Touch ID.

11. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Agreed. I LOVE having a physical home button.

12. LaRRinco macrumors newbie

LaRRinco

Sincerely now... I would prefered that.

13. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502

I don't even care about the button too much, after trying out the sensor on the 7 where the button used to be, I actually really think it's cool. If they stuck that sensor on the back of the phone I'd consider the X.

But having Face ID and ONLY Face ID, **** that.

14. Rob_2811 macrumors 65816

Really hope it doesn't spell the end for Touch ID completely. Removing it, is to the iPhone what removing Magsafe was to the MacBook Pros, one of the best features to actually come to the device.

15. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Fair comparison!

16. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Jeez....the tab is not there when watching videos, movies, tv. Unless you zoom in. A lack bar is on left and right of screen giving you a full rectangular 16:9 view.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    Worked fine once he wiped the flop sweat from face. My Touch ID doesn't work reliably with wet fingers either. Who knew?
    Yeah Craig's bonus dropped by 2 mil.
    He didn't have that mask on, so first phone did not recognize him.
    Guy gave me $100,000 the other day. Boy was I pissed, the bills were not new and all small denominations. The nerve of people.

17. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

I'm confused. Brag that they won't give privacy away to the Feds then use FaceID and remove passcode.

Is the passcode feature totally gone? If so thais is WAY less secure.

18. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Yeah auto correct is a pain in the ash. :eek:

19. HEK, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2017

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Passcode has not been removed. It's the main security feature of the phone.

Touch ID and Face ID are a convenience. Both keep all their data on a secure enclave of the chip that is not accessible, or transmitable. The finger print and face data are locked in phone. The enclave part of chip sends unlock code, but not the data. This has been this way for years.

You don't have to use either. In fact for maximum security turn off Touch ID or Face ID and use multiple alpha numeric passcode ten digits or more.

20. Ralfi macrumors 6502a

Ralfi

People will panic/overreact with the stage failure (looked like one failed attempt, not three).

I see it as being a winner as more examples of it working pop up online.

21. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Of course that is the most secure way. You can also choose not to use passcode at all. These have always been options.
    That's what the infrared light is for.

22. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

:eek: Oh Jeez, Deany, I almost freaked out for a moment there. I was just about to think your brother was a bit more scary than what you're talking about. A "torch" means an entirely different thing in America. Fortunately, I remembered (and it's also visible) that you are in Wales. :p

23. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Hi Grumps
    Yikes! I updated post.
    thanks
    deany

24. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Unlock is look at it. The swipe up takes you to main app window desktop. You could pull down notifications, or the widget stuff once unlocked with look.
    For infidals only :D

25. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

I hear ya. It's like that for me on my Samsung Touch ID. It worked almost perfectly for me for weeks on my S8+ and then never again was it quite as good. It still works so I know it's not defective. It's just the same results I've always had with Touch ID until my iPhone 7 Plus and my HTC 10.

Iris scanning hurts my eyes, which is why I don't use it. But when I did use it, it was really convenient just to hold the phone up and have it unlock on the S8. On the Note 7, I had to scan and swipe and didn't care for that. I'm torn on all of this and between the iPhone 8 Plus and the iPhone X.
    Oh no I didn't mean you needed to change it, sorry! I love our regional differences! I thought it was funny! I think there are as many British forum members here as Americans, so it is hardly fair to expect you to change your expressions to American versions.