Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bennyf

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
USA
I haven't been jailbroken for years, but evidently Apple is still signing 11.3.1 and a jailbreak for it is predicted tomorrow-ish. I regained interest in it when Apple pulled all the device-wide adblocking tools. Walled garden is one thing, but not even letting me fully control which servers my devices talks to feels over the line. Just tired of every app under the sun (even those without visible ads) talking to ad & tracking servers.

I was really hoping iOS 12 was going to shift the balance of power back the user a little on this front. But it appears not.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Given that the S0 Watch won't run watchOS 5: will an iPhone running iOS 12 still be able to pair with a Watch running watchOS 4?

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I do. It doesn’t mean that Apple can’t produce better ways for users to express themselves. That’s exactly what they’re doing with Animoji and Mimoji.

The problem with Emoji is that their number is growing so much that it’s unwieldy to find the one you want.

By providing a simplified selection, iOS users can far more easily find what they want to convey. Select the character out of a dozen instead of hundreds, make the face, tap it to send. Done.

Apple's emoji's are already infinitely better than Google's gumdrops.

Reactions: the johnmc

McTool

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2016
Feel stable so far.

Not much in the visual department..
- frosted glass effect is back while sliding the notification center down
- the music notification is now frosted black glass (which looks weird and out of place)
- new Books application which looks totally different than other apps (sadly)
- redesigned album section of Photos app
- redesigned app bar in iMessage
- there is a new menu in iMessage when you click a contact
- grouped notifications
- Apple Maps dark mode works again when in the dark

This must be the most boring iOS update ever when it comes to UI
I'll upgrade to it when it drops and play with it for a few weeks before I get my Pixel 3 XL or Note 9 (still haven't decided)
Pixel 3 and Note 9 the fugliest Android phones ever.

Reactions: sunwukong

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Irrespective of views of what else we'd like to see instead of things like this.

I must commend Apple on the superb professional quality of the graphics/images with this.
Top class that makes other companies attempts look totally amateurish.

It's sad, Apple are the only ones who seem to be able to put so much quality into things like this.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Apple's emoji's are already infinitely better than Google's gumdrops.

Sure, but good luck finding the one you want in the Emoji menu. Autocomplete works but the Emoji menu itself is a mess. I’m all for a simplified Animoji that use a bunch of characters that are infinitely customizable by simply watching your face for your real expression. That’s the way to handle this going forward, not producing hundreds of individual emojis.

Dustin10

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2017
Ohio
It's running like...something that runs down your leg! I would wait to upgrade, Geekbench comes in at 933 on iPhone 8 plus

hop

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
From the SiriKit page:
Shortcuts App

Your shortcuts will be available in the new Shortcuts app, available on the App Store this fall. The app provides a gallery of examples to start from and an easy to use drag and drop editor. Users can make personalized shortcuts that combine multiple steps, including shortcuts provided by your app, into a single tap or using their voice with Siri.

Although it can't do all the things the proper Shortcuts app will be able to do, if you go install Workflow from the App Store (Apple bought them a while ago, it's clearly what Shortcuts are based on), create a new workflow, and visit Siri settings, you might find a nice surprise in the meantime.

AgentAnonymous

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2016
The animoji stuff is nice, but it should be background information that's mentioned in the bottom of the notes. Not front page stuff like Apple thinks it is.

No developer is going to download the iOS 12 beta to test the latest animoji gimmick. If Apple wants to highlight the technological advantage they have with sensors there are better ways to do that, like focusing on FaceID or features that users actually care about.

Reactions: sunwukong

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
SMH....of course emjoi’s featured prominently in the article. Is this website geared to 13 year olds?

danbeaulieu

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2017
Madison, WI
I'm a developer. Deleted my old profiles, restarted and installed new profiles. Still no updates available for me for iPhone X, iPhone 6s, macOS and watchOS. Anyone else having issues?

Reactions: javcruz

McTool

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2016
The date is now displayed besides the clock.
So the Memojis is only for the X phone?

Kramerjn

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2016
Wisconsin
My wifi calling has gone. No switch to turn it it on or off.
It’s there on mine. Try searching for it in the settings app
[doublepost=1528149391][/doublepost]
Better performance is literally the only thing in iOS 12 that holds ANY interest for me. Perhaps the most underwhelming iOS update ever. Oh well, iOS 11 doesn’t need much anyway.
The performance increase is noticeable immediately, at least on the X.

Reactions: Futhark

danbeaulieu

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2017
Madison, WI
Shucks. I guess a few lucky devs dont get to update. My iphone 6s was never even enrolled and it fails to find iOS 12. My MacBook say's its enrolled but when I try to download Mojave a little pop down dialog says my macbook isn't enrolled. I guess I just get to wait. Ultimate first world problem here. :(

Pspressart

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
If those 3rd party apps will include things like 'Navigon', that use offlined data, CarPlay will finally be something I can seriously consider.
If the app has to be changed to work with CarPlay, Navigon, unfortunately, won’t be included. Garmin is not developing Navigon any longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.