Resolved Force 2011 MacBook Pro 8,2 with failed AMD GPU to ALWAYS use Intel integrated GPU (EFI variable fix)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleMacFinder, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Alex Crane macrumors member

Alex Crane

Hello everyone. I've done it by myself. Now on High Sierra.

How did I made it:
    • Did not restore AMDRadeonX300.kext back to the Extensions folder before update
    • Download and run High Sierra installer
    • After each reboot CMD + S -> Entering nvram commands -> reboot
    • After installing -> Boot from Restore -> csrutil disable -> reboot
    • CMD + S -> move AMDRadeonX300.kext to backup folder

2. Martinaude macrumors newbie

Martinaude

Hey there everyone!

I have successfully applied the fix to my MBP 17" 2011 running High Sierra.
    unfortunately the issue with the discrete graphics card only started happening after I installed High Sierra (So not sure of how an Upgrade to High Sierra would run), which is a bit strange to me because as a pro video editor, Ive pushed my mac's Discrete graphics card to the absolute limits without ever having an issue from way back in 2011, then one day after the High Sierra Update... boom. it happened.

So now I am all set up to use the integrated Graphics card however, I just seem to be having a bit of an issue with my brightness, and closing of the lid.
    My brightness is always at 100% with the brightness buttons on the keyboard not functioning. There is also no slider in the preferences pane anymore.

I also cannot close my MBP lid as the screen remains on the computer never goes to sleep then.

Is there anyone else who has this issue, or better yet someone with a fix?

3. fcouto macrumors newbie

More likely you have a failing six years old BGA chip like everyone else wandering around here (my problems started after Sierra 10.12.3). Thanks to all the contributors of this thread, my unresolved (minor) issue is the restart/shutdown (apple click) panic probably when unloading kexts (command line works fine).

You should check dGPU power management is active:

sudo kextstat | grep -i amd

and then com.apple.kext.AMDRadeonX3000 is loaded.
    If OK then I would:

1) make a clean HS install using a spare drive, after a PRAM/SMC reset. I still was able to do it directly but if your GPU is close to dead I guess the Linux boot is the only way to go;

2) If 1 doesn't work, we're in the wild with pmset options, gpuswitch, downgrade ?

4. TomLopez macrumors newbie

Hi bicycleforthemind,

Actually I did follow all your steps all have loaded the AMDRAdeonX300.kext. I got following output when running the command "sudo kextstat | grep -i amd":
    163 0 0xffffff7f8326f000 0x571000 0x571000 com.apple.AMDRadeonX3000 (1.5.1) F6F37414-893B-3F66-8AB7-F3327DE6AC55 <162 148 111 12 7 5 4 3 1>

Battery life has also decreased dramatically proving by the AMD gpu is not totally shutdown. I am running MAC OS 10.12.3.

Any further ideas?

5. vstefangeorge macrumors newbie

Hi,
    In the first instance i would like to thank you for your post, i read everything and after few time trying i succeed to have my macbook pro late 2011 back to life.
    I will go with you in a long story short way into my situation:
    I get this macbook pro late 2011 like a gift, I've been happy with for a long time, but after i upgraded to MacOS Sierra, everything get worst, starting with slowdowns, ending with grey screen on booting.
    This is my Macbook pro configuration:
    Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP81.004D.B00

SMC Version (system): 1.69f3

Serial Number (system): C02HFR4QDV7L

Hardware UUID: E32CE7CA-453E-59A5-BC51-DD962B009CA1

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

Like i said earlier, i followed your steps and everything look fine for me now, I'm on El Capitan with FileVault not active, just purely because i didn't set this option on Lion(the OS i get from cmd+opt+R(i think, I'm not 100%sure)).
    I wold dare to ask you a question or maybe two :p
    First is:
    Do you recommend me to turn on Filevault on this Macbook Pro Late 2011?
    Second:
    Do you recommend to upgrade to MacOS High Sierra(that just purely because i want to use this system options, like iCloud...)?

Kind regards,

Stefan

6. CatLucky macrumors newbie

CatLucky

--- Post Merged, Oct 9, 2017 ---
    --- Post Merged, Oct 9, 2017 ---
    Thank you so much!!! YOU ARE THE BEST!!! This really worked. YOU MADE MY DAY!!! I am so happy.

The people at Apple Care and Apple Store could not help.

7. Inprot macrumors newbie

I have done this on a macbook pro in mid 2012 and it has worked.

But now I can not lower the brightness of the screen.
    Any solution?

I have macOS high sierra.

Another question: is it possible to reverse this process?

8. Ghibli macrumors regular

I wouldn't turn on Filevault: if the mac irreversibly dies it can make more difficult (or completely impossible) to get back to the data. Consider Filevault only if you work for CIA, NSA or the like :) (but in that case they probably would buy you a new macbook :) )

iCloud is also present on Sierra and, at present time, some users are reporting some issues on applying the hack to HS. So, if you're not a MacNerd I suggest waiting (and maybe upgrade to Sierra instead, if you do not have it already installed).

9. bicycleforthemind macrumors newbie

Are you following the guide I posted on page 38? "sudo kextstat | grep -i amd" is not listed anywhere in my post. What steps have you successfully completed thus far?

10. themaccast macrumors newbie

themaccast

I was able to use this and it seems to have forced booting into the integrated GPU, but the Mac hangs 50% of the way through the boot process

11. fraquo macrumors newbie

fraquo

Me too, I created the account to thank you infinitely!

It worked for me, I had some little trouble tweaking but succeeded, in the end.

I have a MBP 15" Early 2011. I was using GFX but still had some trouble booting because sometimes it freezed after the apple. The bar used to fill the first time but didn't appear the second time. I used to boot with BootCamp (I've a Win10 partition) and after some try and overheating I could login, but sometimes I needed up to 30 min.

Hope this is the definitive solution.

Thank you again, I'll share the solution!

Francesco

12. TomLopez, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017

TomLopez macrumors newbie

This command just shows that the AMDRadeonX3000 is properly loaded.
    And yes I have followed your steps page 38 but I have also removed other AMDxxxxxxx kext files so most probably that is the problem now...
    I will get them back with Time Machine and let you know if that is really the root cause!

13. OZ1BV macrumors newbie

OZ1BV

My old MacBook just got the GPU failure and I have disabled the ATI GPU, works perfectly
    Only thing that wonders - the display backlight is not adjustable any more, the F1 and F2 keys are not working any more (And they are not set to work as function keys, tried fn-F1/F2 just to be sure).
    Does anybody know a cure for this problem?

Best regards, Brian

14. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

That happened to me with one of the early High Sierra betas. What version of MacOS are you running? Did you try to reset SMC and zap your PRAM?

15. Brooks530 macrumors newbie

Brooks530

I wanted to post on this forum as I just had my problem resolved by Apple. I am the second owner of a Mid 2012 Macbook Pro 15" Retina. I started having problems in February of this year and found the repair program information in August. I first tried contacting someone at Apple around August and mentioned the repair program. She immediately told me it had ended in January of 2017. Conversation ends and I resort to shopping for a new laptop for a couple days. I end up finding that one of the system resets allows it to work for a couple minutes before it switches GPU cards (NVIDIA is the bad card). Fast forward to last week, my Macbook has been unusable for the last couple weeks, I ring up Apple on my day off and am able to chat with a Technician. Once I mentioned that I believed it was a GPU problem and described the symptoms she transferred me to a higher up who I then explained the symptoms to. He asked to verify the problems I had mentioned and we talked about the NVIDIA GPU being a problem. He also asked if there were any other problems and I mentioned that I had cracked the LCD in the lower left corner (nothing major, just produced a black bar bottom inch of screen). I never mentioned the repair program during this second conversation, and also thought that they might use the broken LCD against me to say they can't warranty it. I spoke to the technician and supervisor for no longer than 15 minutes and they had a box overnighted to my house to send in my Macbook.

Fast forward to today, I received my Macbook Pro in an overnighted FedEx box, hoping that since I hadn't heard from them that they had resolved the problem. I open up the box to find my freshly fixed Macbook with the Product Repair Summary paper (attached below). I am SHOCKED to see that Apple has fixed MORE than needed! They even replaced the Retina screen FREE! There are a couple other replacements that I am not familiar with but very grateful to receive.

Parts replaced:
    Logic Board
    Display 15"
    Board I/O
    Cable, I/O, Flex
    Cable, I/O, Right

Cost: $0.00

I hope this helps peoples experience with Apple. It is a known problem that the black screen at startup is caused by the NVIDIA GPU failure. When calling Apple, mention the GPU being a problem and also download GFXcardstatus as it allows you to see which graphics card is in use on your Mac.

Attached Files:

16. MikeBr101 macrumors newbie

MikeBr101

Excellent post.......just have a couple of questions with regards to making the system read/write to allow moving and deletion of files??

I have what I assume to be the same issue which you had with the drive partition becoming read only due to numerous emergency shutdowns while trying to boot the OS with a faulty GPU!!!

I tried to move the AMD files as instructed but only got "Operation Not Permitted" for every file!!!

Unfortunately I don't have access to another PC running Linux and wondered if there was another workaround for that process??

I downloaded the archlinux.iso and created a bootable USB which got me to the Linux console. Unfortunately I could not remove the "gpu-power-prefs-....." file as instructed as once again all I got was "Operation Not Permitted"!!!

Would that also be due to the fact that the partition seems to have reverted to Read Only?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I apologise in advance if this has already been covered in other posts but there are 41 pages in the thread!!

17. OZ1BV macrumors newbie

OZ1BV

Hi, yes did both now. Zapping the PRAM did make the display update act strange and unstable.
    My OS is High Sierra latest release with latest updates.

I have reinstalled the OS and after first boot it worked well. Second boot did bring me back to Square one and I had to boot Linux to fix the EFI issue and remove AMD*.* drivers. After that the problem still exists.
    My guess is that the display backlight is ontrolled in one of the AMD driver files.

Brian

18. OZ1BV macrumors newbie

OZ1BV

Found a solution :)

It's not necessary to remove all AMD*.* folders. I only removed some folders and the F1/F2 works..
    I also discovered that I had problems with Sleep mode, this is also solved now.

The folders I did remove:

AMDRadeonX3000.kext
    AMDRadeonX4000.kext
    AMDRadeonX4100.kext
    AMDRadeonX4150.kext
    AMDRadeonX4200.kext
    AMDRadeonX4250.kext
    AMDRadeonX5000.kext
    AMDRadeonX5000HWServices.kext

Brian

19. blogger100 macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm not quite savvy working around EFI and such but I did manage to disable my AMD discrete but had the same issue you mentioned, I cant adjust the brightness and my computer wont go to sleep when i close the lid, those kexts you said you removed it were the ones from the AMD_Kexts folder?

20. Inprot macrumors newbie

Have you checked if macos has not installed the gpu amd?

try to open gfxCardStatus and place ONLY DISCRETE. If you do not change gpu then your method works perfectly

21. restlessman macrumors newbie

restlessman

Here! Another successful case! Thank you very much for this very valuable information, I'm so happy for not having to buy another computer, which is impossible for me for now, and for being able to finish my compromised work. I'm so relieved. Thank you again, this is such a bless!

22. diesel701 macrumors newbie

diesel701

Hi all!
    Firstly, thank you a lot for all the informations and tutorials.

I have a Macbook Pro 2011 that give me black screen. The laptop boot with the chime, but no blacklight, no external display. No sign from the screen.
    I don't have a working OS installed and I've tried to boot Archlinux from DVD and seems to work but always give me black screen.
    I also tried Plop Linux with ssh enabled and I can boot it and connect with ssh to the terminal of the OS, but again black screen.

I don't know the story of the Macbook, but seems to have been repaired in the past.

How can I fix it? Maybe the screen is broken?
    Must I have a working Mac OS installed on HDD?

Thanks again to all

23. Tazzy321 macrumors newbie

I have successfully restored my 2011 macbook "15.Works like new. Had to back up and reinstall Yosemite.
    Does anyone know if running the software update through the app store will mess up the integrated only mod?
    Remote desktop client..I perceive there would be no problem

24. OZ1BV macrumors newbie

OZ1BV

I started from scratch, meaning that i installed a new OS (High Sierra)) on top of the old. After that I followed the usual procedure, except that I did not move all AMD*.* libraries to another folder, I only moved those I listed and left the rest untouched.
    /Brian

25. blogger100 macrumors newbie

So something like this?

mv /System/Library/Extensions/AMD*.*/AMDRadeonX3000.kext /AMD_Kexts/

Is there a way to enter all the folders at once or do I have to enter one by one followed by enter?

Thank you