Resolved Force 2011 MacBook Pro 8,2 with failed AMD GPU to ALWAYS use Intel integrated GPU (EFI variable fix)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleMacFinder, Mar 18, 2017.

1. EyeDoc1 macrumors newbie

EyeDoc1

I have a solution that has worked for my 2011 MBP that had a bad AMD Graphics processor yielding a white screen on Boot:

https://realmacmods.com/

2. rcmcfe macrumors newbie

Does your fix allow the use of an external monitor afterwards?

3. EyeDoc1 macrumors newbie

EyeDoc1

I don't use an external.

4. fg74 macrumors newbie

fg74

Various OS updates seem to reset the extensions, and the list of *.kext files might change. Can you say how one might know more generally which are the right kext files to remove? (e.g., in 10.13.2 there are other AMDRadeonX*.kext files beyond those you list here). Thanks. -George

5. xanderx007, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017

xanderx007 macrumors regular

xanderx007

6. rcmcfe macrumors newbie

7. xanderx007 macrumors regular

xanderx007

Wavlink (I don't know why the screen shot did not upload when I first posted). At any rate, they use the same display link driver, which means they probably use the same display link OEM hardware.

8. rcmcfe macrumors newbie

So, just to be clear, you're macbook pro has the graphics card failure issue, and you're still able to use an external monitor using the wav link adapter?

9. xanderx007 macrumors regular

xanderx007

Yes.

10. 2kbill macrumors newbie

2kbill

Thank you AppleMacFinder for your work on this fix. My early 2011's panics had made the transition from every now and then to every few minutes recently. I looked at the price of a new mbp, and ugh! plus I like my ports. You have postponed the inevitable for the time being, I am grateful!

11. nsgr, Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2017

nsgr macrumors 6502

If it's a Macbook Pro 2011, then it would be the AMDRadeonX3000.kext. Reports from users with Macbook Pro 2011 in this forum.

This would be the case if you had no idea which AMDRadeonX is connected to your AMD GPU.

If an update happened and the system froze because of the problematic kext, then you should enter Safe Mode (press SHIFT key at boot):

1 - After login in Safe Mode -> Apple logo -> About this Mac -> System Report -> Graphic /Displays -> select AMD Radeon GPU -> Device ID.

2 - In my case (AMD Radeon HD 6750M) -> device ID: 0x6741.

3 - Search for this device ID (6741) with the grep command in the kexts directory.
    Code:
    grep -iRl 6741 /System/Library/Extensions/
    /System/Library/Extensions/AMD6000Controller.kext/Contents/Info.plist
    /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX3000.kext/Contents/Info.plist
    /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist
    /System/Library/Extensions/AMDLegacySupport.kext/Contents/Info.plist
    /System/Library/Extensions/AppleKextExcludeList.kext/Contents/Info.plist

4 - For my AMD GPU, the AMDRadeonX3000.kext will always be the problematic kext.

It would only be necessary to move the AMDRadeonX3000.kext to the /DisableExtensions directory - then manually load after login or use LoginHook.

12. OfficialKinger macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Dec 16, 2017 ---
    Does this effect iMovie in any way?
    I make YouTube videos and use iMovie to edit.
    My Mac started freaking out with iMovie, then everything went to sh*t...
    I paid to have it sodred and it fixed it for almost a year, but the same problem is back.
    Luckily, I was able to backup my computer this time.
    I’m not a pro when it comes to computers, I know enough, but not everything, so I just wanted to make sure if I did these steps it wouldn’t effect my editing in any way since it’s using integrated graphics.

13. Mousa macrumors newbie

Mousa

14. Theejonfields macrumors newbie

Guys I need your help. My entire career is on my mbp and it’s gone to ****.

I went through the original method. Along the way I don’t think all of the kext files moved over. I went through the editing of EFI, created the gpu pref, rebooted. The lines were gone but it still didn’t boot. I knew it was the kext files right away. I was able to boot into recovery so I disabled SIP and moved the files from the terminal there. Once I restarted nothing happened. I went back into Linux to try and move kext files but now it says operation not permitted. I tried to remove the gpu pref to create a new one and it says operation not permitted. I did a pram reset and my screen is back to the lines. I need help guys please.

15. celensa0 macrumors newbie

celensa0

great job, thx guys! my mbp 15 late 2011 is on high sierra, so my question on all: did anyone manage to get the brightness and wakeup working, mine does wake up, but the display stays black, hard reset only. tried all options gpuswitch 0, 1, and 2, all the same. hope this thread stays alive and up to date

16. GSTX macrumors newbie

GSTX

hey guys! I've followed all 'AppleMacFinder / FGuarani' tutorial and I got the video issue (stripped screen) solved :) however, I just can't load the OS (I always stuck on Apple logo / 40% loading bar); I know I need to remove the AMD Kexts, but I've tryed many times and no success :/ I just can't disable the SIP (it always give 'no command found' message, in Recovery Mode via Terminal) neither get the 'cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD' successed (because it always give 'no file or directory found' message, in Recovery Mode via Terminal)... I'm reading these posts and trying get this done along 4 or 5 days! I think I'm quite close to make this perfectly done! please, anyone could help me at this point? thanks everyone here for every single tip... cheers

17. lpuerto macrumors member

lpuerto

Thanks a lot for the additional info. Right now I'm hibernating so I guess it isn't wakening up at all. Besides, Do our macs have the ability of doing that?

18. might as well macrumors newbie

Thanks. I took your advice and the last 24 hours my 2011 MBP has been working fine.

19. EyeDoc1 macrumors newbie

EyeDoc1

Great! I recently removed the chip and did an EFI password. Now works with fix!!!

20. xanderx007 macrumors regular

xanderx007

You might want to try the GRUB solution in both your cases, which were relatively similar to mine when I was on the EFI fix. Though the EFI fix works, it does so on a case to case basis, and a bit unstable. The GRUB fix is basically similar to the EFI fix, with the exception that it forces the OS to use only the iGPU at startup, ignoring the dGPU altogether.

21. mindwalkr macrumors newbie

Hi Guys!

First of all, thanks a lot to all the people who have contributed one way or another to fixing our broken MacbookPros. My Macbook pro toasted the dGPU last week after several nights of converting x264 to x265 and Apple Support has told me that they cannot do anything about it, and won't even attempt to repair it at cost. For trade-in value, my poor Mac is now worth 0 Eur! (even though it's a pretty good machine with 8Gb and an SSD).
    Anyhow, I have read through most of this thread but it is obviously pretty massive, but I reckon there's 3 main fixes at the moment:

1) EFI fix (AppleMacFinder's initial post)
    2) Kernel Extensions fiddling fix (MikeyN, post 875 -> https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...fi-variable-fix.2037591/page-35#post-24956091 )
    3) GRUB fix (Brainshutdown's solution, mentioned in post 1033 -> https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...fi-variable-fix.2037591/page-42#post-25255227 )

Now, so far I've tried the GRUB fix and it is working fine for me so far. (just a couple of hours in, although I haven't completed the process because in order to compile the AMDGPUWakeHandler I need the latest XCode, since the one I have with Yosemite complains that the Project file is incompatible. Now, the only thing I don't particularly like about this solution is that it shows that GRUB login screen and it seems to take slightly longer to boot into GRUB that it did before, in order to get at the shiny Apple logo of hope.

It seems to me that solution 2) seems to be the easiest to perform since it doesn't require a USB stick, but I've read somewhere on this thread that it isn't totally reliable when the laptop wakes up from sleep ?

What's the overall consensus about the 3 methods, now that everyone has experimented a bit with all of them ? Which one so far yields to more stable results ? The GRUB seems to have issues with High Sierra with backlight and sleep... is that also the case for the other methods ?

• Totally off-topic note

while attempting the GRUB fix, I wrote the NVRAM with that long attribute
      Code:
      fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00
      and rebooted. Suddenly all symptoms of the broken GPU were gone, and I booted into MacOS straight from the HD, without GRUB installed yet. The I shut down the laptop... and after 15 minutes I turned it on again and the dGPU was again active as I had those bad horizontal lines. I thought the NVRAM attribute was supposed to stick and survive restarts ?

• Totally off-topic note 2

how come the GRUB solution works ? Is it only because with GRUB installed, the dGPU isn't activated at all ? Is that a peculiarity of GRUB ? Or is it something in the magic config file for GRUB ?
      Code:
      set timeout=10
      menuentry "macOS" {
         insmod hfsplus
         outb 0x728 1
         outb 0x710 2
         outb 0x740 2
         outb 0x750 0
         search --set=root --file /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
         chainloader /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
      }

22. xanderx007 macrumors regular

xanderx007

Better that than an unstable Mac. Grub load times varies from system to system, in my case it takes about 10 seconds or so before the Grub screen loads.

Also, why did you need to compile AMDGPUWakeHandler? You can simply download the file @brainshutdown included on his first post on the GRUB solution thread and use it right away (as I have).

I haven't tried the Kernel fix. I went through it a few times and I found it a bit complicated since I have to code the login hook. I'm currently on the Grub fix and have been so for quite some time, and have not experienced any sleep, shutdown or restart issues. High Sierra seems to be an issue in any case, even on newer MBPs. I'm still on Yosemite, didn't bother upgrading even to Sierra since I don't see any additional benefit. I'd rather have a stable, working system than a new one.

No. As I understand it, the process just resets the NVRAM value, disabling the dGPU during that startup. It resets to it's default value once you restart or shutdown the MBP. That is what the grub is for; it resets the NVRAM value before the OS loads so the OS ignores the dGPU altogether.

Again, as @branishutdown explained, the GRUB solution simply ignores the dGPU upon startup (by changing the boot.efi settings). It does not in any way disables it. It still consumes power, and is why it needs the AMDGPUWakeHandler to handle that sleep issue.

To disable it fully, some have resorted to disabling the resistor/transistor that supplies power to the dGPU, but for me, that's too risky a method. I have my system working well as it is.

23. neilpaolo macrumors newbie

neilpaolo

Hi Lloyd22
    I have the same exact issue that you're having right now. I was able to get it to work once by overheating it; letting it cool down and powering it back. It only worked once though...
    Please let me know if you're able to resurrect your MBP again...
    Thanks,
    Neil

24. EyeDoc1 macrumors newbie

EyeDoc1

If you guys want a better solution (in my opinion):

https://realmacmods.com

I did it on my 2011 MBP. Adam is the person to communicate with.

Everything works! He will send you data on how to do it.

25. xanderx007 macrumors regular

xanderx007

The Grub solution works just as well, without having to disable the resistor (thus, no risk of any damage to the logic board). The only drawback is that the dGPU is still powered, but, I'd rather have that than risking any further damage to the machine.