Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdhcompany

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2018
Hello. It worked like a charm for me. Now it Boots with the Intel HD Graphics 3000.
The problem is that the Mac crashes when i try to open some apps installed in it, like Ableton Live , Adobe Premier, Spotify, Adobe Photoshop....
The Mac works grate with any browser, playing videos, mail, and small apps.
It looks like it has a problem opening some apps.
Anyone having this issue?

I am also having the same issue - I also tried to run gfxCardStatus but it also will hang when loading apps. I was thinking that I missed a step maybe with removing kText or something... any help would be great
2011 MBP 15"

Reactions: AppleMacFinder

hatoupix

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2018
I found this online and followed the instructions but it never worked for me. However, after some messing around and going off prior knowledge and using the instructions I was able to solve the problem. Here is what I did step by step. And it worked perfect for me.

Reset PRRAM

Step 1:
a: Boot Mac holding Command+R+S
b: type csrutil disable
c: reboot
d: Boot into Single user mode (Command+S)
e: fsck -fy
f: Mount -uw /
g: mkdir /oldextensions
h: cd /Systems/Library/Extensions/
i: mv AMD6000Controller.kext /oldextensions/
h: mv AMDFramebuffer.kext /oldextensions/
j: mv AMDRadeonX3000.kext /oldextensions/
k: mv AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle /oldextensions/
l: mv AMDSupport.kext /oldextensions/
m: cd /
n: sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
o: reboot

After completing Step 1 I was able to boot to the OS but it was very slow.

Step 2 is to download and install Arch Linux Live USB https://www.archlinux.org/download/
a: Once booted to Arch Linux make sure you don't have gpu-power-pref. if you do delete it. (follow instructions from the first post).
b: Then
  1. Cd /sys/firmware/efi/efivars
  1. printf "\x07\x00\x00\x00\x01\x00\x00\x00" > /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/gpu-power-prefs-fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9
  1. chattr +i "/sys/firmware/efi/efivars/gpu-power-prefs-fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9"
  1. Cd /
  1. Umount /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/
  1. Reboot
Once complete you should be able to boot to the OS and it will run faster.

Hi, Thank you for your instructions !

The first step work fine with my BMP 15" early 2011 (but It's very very slow ;-) ) ... but the second one don't work :
when I boot on my USB key (with Arch Linux Live on it) and If I choose "Arch Linux arches X86_64 UEFI CD" ... there is nothing, excepted some words on the left top ... and after a black screen ...

Can you help me ?

nsgr

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2017
Hi, When I set AGC=9 and restart, I lost the sound

These instructions are specific to the HighSierra. I do not know which system you are using.

In doubt, use only agc=0. You put in the post the agc in capital letters. Did you really do this? Because the command has only lowercase letters.

The agc option -> only set in Recovery Mode Graphical or Recovery Mode Single User:
Code:
nvram boot-args="-v agc=0"

If you use HighSierra, then you can view information about HDA (Intel High Definition Audio) with the AGDCDiagnose command.

This is my HDA in HighSierra with the options in boot-args (all have the same result) and sound works OK:

Only -v option
Code:
nvram boot-args="-v"

Option -v and agc=0
Code:
nvram boot-args="-v agc=0"

Option -v and agc=9
Code:
nvram boot-args="-v agc=9"

After login, kextload /DisableExtensions/AMDRadeonX3000.kext
Code:
sudo kextload /DisableExtensions/AMDRadeonX3000.kext

Run AGDCDiagnose -a
Code:
./System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/MacOS/AGDCDiagnose -a | grep Power

IG: FB0:on  FB1:N/A FB2:N/A 3D:idle HDA:N/A  Power:on
EG: FB0:off FB1:off FB2:off 3D:idle HDA:idle Power:off
Policy:off GPUPowerDown:on Backlight Control:on Recovery:on
Power State Machine IG: 0 EG: 6
[doublepost=1518990812][/doublepost]
Hello. It worked like a charm for me. Now it Boots with the Intel HD Graphics 3000.
The problem is that the Mac crashes when i try to open some apps installed in it, like Ableton Live , Adobe Premier, Spotify, Adobe Photoshop....
The Mac works grate with any browser, playing videos, mail, and small apps.
It looks like it has a problem opening some apps.
Anyone having this issue?

Alternative 1:
Reinstall your Photoshop apps, etc.

Alternative 2:

Place this line inside the Info.Plist of your Photoshop. It basically tells the app to use the Intel GPU.

Use TextEdit or PlistEdit Pro (free download):
https://www.fatcatsoftware.com/plisteditpro/

Info.Plist

<key><NSSupportsAutomaticGraphicsSwitching</key>
<true/>

Sometimes you have to put this line in other Info.Plist. For example, Photoshop's executable file calls other applications within Photoshop.

In the After Effects I've been putting these lines in several apps within the After Effects directory. I open After Effects normally on Macbook Pro 2011 - High Sierra 10.13.3 - with nvram fa4ce28d -... 30f9: gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00

Example Info.Plist - Firefox 58.0.2

Finder -> /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/Info.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key><NSSupportsAutomaticGraphicsSwitching</key>
<true/>

</dict>
</plist>

Fixing Microsoft Outlook’s GPU usage on MacBookPros
https://stc0.wordpress.com/2014/07/04/fixing-microsoft-outlooks-gpu-usage-on-macbookpros/

Allowing OpenGL applications to utilize the integrated GPU
https://developer.apple.com/library/content/qa/qa1734/_index.html

Developer PSA: The Discrete GPU and You
http://supermegaultragroovy.com/2016/12/10/auto-graphics-switching/
[doublepost=1518991706][/doublepost]
I am also having the same issue - I also tried to run gfxCardStatus but it also will hang when loading apps. I was thinking that I missed a step maybe with removing kText or something... any help would be great
2011 MBP 15"

Answer above.

Last edited:

Djabroni

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2018
Hi, Thank you for your instructions !

The first step work fine with my BMP 15" early 2011 (but It's very very slow ;-) ) ... but the second one don't work :
when I boot on my USB key (with Arch Linux Live on it) and If I choose "Arch Linux arches X86_64 UEFI CD" ... there is nothing, excepted some words on the left top ... and after a black screen ...

Can you help me ?
When booting to the Arch linux make sure to hit "e" and type nomodest at the end of it. Then it should boot to arch linux. Then follow the instructions.
2db5h5c.png

pinboll

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2018
To add to the above:
Booting into Arch Linux did not work in my case despite adding the "nomodeset" argument.
I tried downloading the exact 2017 release as indicated by OP on page one of this thread, to no avail.
Then I tried a few Gentoo Linux releases after I got the live CD livedvd-amd64-multilib-20160704 that worked.
There is uEFI boot option with a grey icon, which I chose
Would still hang on 'waiting for uevents to be processed' untill I choose 'Disable KMS' (kernel mode setting) in the graphical menu and I got finally dropped in a Linux console as root (live CD)
From there I just followed the instructions and I could move on.

Early 2011 Macbook Pro 15".

Thanks AppleMacFinder for the solution and also to other contributors to this important thread.

ventastik

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2018
Been at this for 2 months now. The macbook pro came to me with a new harddrive and new sata cable, cause the person at nameless-local-retailer diagnosed it as a bad drive, then a bad sata cable (after the bad drive theory didn't pan out).

So i followed your article and its the best out of all that i've tried, and i've tried them all. Example #1 was my problem. I can't get anywhere, recovery or fresh osx. But I still have that problem after applying your method.

the installers still get 1/4 way through loading and die. and when I say installers, i mean every osx from mountain lion to sierra . I've even tried using the unibeast methods which disable graphics card with every os mentioned, but again, as soon as osx starts running the installer, bam. Same with internet recovery. Refind didn't end up working , nor did Refit. I really really really thought unibeast was the answer as it specifically has options for disabling the dgpu. and it does do this, but. installer still turns it on. I did get ubuntu installed without a hitch. I really thought using grub would be the answer to disabling graphics and then pointing at the installer, which it did do. but that damn installer *cries* always turns the gpu back on.

So am I missing something? how did you get internet recovery mode to work? i Still can't get that. Have not seen an instance where someone had to start fresh. always appears people modify existing. Someone must be going through pain if they decide to install an SSD.

So, in the end, the way i see it, regardless if you turn the dgpu off in firmware, installer, and recovery still turns it back on, as far as i can tell.

My next plan is going to be to find someone with a working macbook and use theirs to install osx on it, and then transplant the drive, or figure out how to install it on the drive through some other means. Also will be researching perhaps a way of removing the drivers from the installer and see if that works, or not.

*small update* im my anger and utter frustration, i took my Unibeast made USB installer, opened it up on my mac, searched for every filename with AMD and i deleted it (yep, just in one stroke). and the craziest thing happened.. the installer loaded up without error. and as of this writing, it is installing. so far Yosemite is installing. I ended up putting another new drive in it (didn't want to lose my current working ubuntu), and its installing nicely. Now i can follow all these directions in the future when it borks, cause i have an OS on the drive *dance*.

Last edited:

pinboll

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2018
*small update* im my anger and utter frustration, i took my Unibeast made USB installer, opened it up on my mac, searched for every filename with AMD and i deleted it (yep, just in one stroke). and the craziest thing happened.. the installer loaded up without error. and as of this writing, it is installing. so far Yosemite is installing. I ended up putting another new drive in it (didn't want to lose my current working ubuntu), and its installing nicely. Now i can follow all these directions in the future when it borks, cause i have an OS on the drive *dance*.

Great news.
BTW, I can confirm that even though I couldn't boot ArchLinux the way as described in OP (so there are some differences between machines), after using Gentoo Linux Live CD I could install High Sierra from scratch, from USB stick, without a hanging installer and without prerequirement to delete everything AMD. Although deleting that AMD stuff seems like an excellent brute force idea.

But now I struggle to make the fix permanent between reboots.
Everytime the PC reboots, the fix needs to be re-applied, if not grey screen, boot loop etc..

In this thread I read about removing the AMD Kexts on the MacOS system drive, but these instructions didn't allow me to follow one one one and so far without success.

So I wonder, after your installation with pre-deleted AMD stuff: are you able to reboot in your freshly installed Mac OS?

guillebaque

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2018
2011 MBP 15"

I have followed this steps and it´s running perfect now.
My problem was to erase correctly the AMD Kexts.

Fix for 17 inch dGPU switch issue

(Tested successfully in both “early” and “late” 2011 17 inch MacBook Pro)

This guide is based on the experience of many users (including me) while trying to fix the very well known issue with AMD dGPU on 17’’ MacBook Pro from 2011 (both early and late):

Step 0) As a starting point I made a clean installation of Sierra (Version 10.12.4) — This is just a step for establishing a common middle ground and is not really needed….

0.1) To do this just download the installer from the App Store and then use “DiskMaker X” to create a bootable installation.

0.2) After the bootable image is created, proceed to turn off your computer and hold the “Alt” or “Options” Key. Select the Sierra installer and proceed with the installation (I format the HDD partition to make a clean install on it)

Note: You might need to do this on another computer. Just buy one of those cheap usb to sata connectors and use it to connect it to another Mac so you don’t risk having your installation failed because of your machine.

Step 1) Prepare a Bootable USB pendrive with a non GUI Linux (Credits to AppleMacFinder)

1.1) Download ArchLinux ISO

You need a working computer for that and a spare CD/DVD/USB drive. Download the latest Arch Linux ISO image from this page - https://www.archlinux.org/download/ , at the time of writing it is archlinux-2017.03.01-dual.iso . Then you could either simply burn this ISO to CD/DVD (which later could be either inserted to MBP's SuperDrive or External DVD Drive connected to MBP by two USB cables) or create a bootable USB: use the great detailed instructions from this page, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/USB_flash_installation_media

1.2) Creating the bootable USB with the .iso:

In macOS

First, you need to identify the USB device. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and list all storage devices with the command:

*) diskutil list

Your USB device will appear as something like /dev/disk2 (external, physical). Verify that this is the device you want to erase by checking its name and size and then use its identifier for the commands below instead of /dev/diskX.

A USB device is normally auto-mounted in macOS, and you have to unmount (not eject) it before block-writing to it with dd. In Terminal, do:

*) diskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskX

Now copy the ISO image file to the device. The dd command is similar to its Linux counterpart, but notice the 'r' before 'disk' for raw mode which makes the transfer much faster:

*) sudo dd if=path/to/arch.iso of=/dev/rdiskX bs=1m

After completion, macOS may complain that "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer". Select 'Ignore'. The USB device will be bootable.

Step 2) Boot to Linux (Credits to AppleMacFinder):

2.1) Boot to it: insert this CD/DVD/USB to Macbook Pro, hold Option key while booting, choose "EFI boot" (that is your bootable installation media), press "e" key to edit the GRUB options of the Arch Linux archiso x86_64 UEFI CD menu entry while it is selected at the main screen, add nomodeset to the end of this line and press Enter. If everything is done correctly, you will find yourself at the Linux console! (It takes some time so be patient and wait for the prompt)

2.2) Edit EFI vars: looks like efivarfs filesystem is mounted by default! So you can already cd /sys/firmware/efi/efivars and ls to explore this directory and see if there is a "gpu-power-prefs-..." variable (where ... is UUID of this variable).

2.2-Case 1:

If there is such a variable, its better to remove it with rm.

*) rm gpu-power-prefs-…

In my case the efivarfs has been mounted by default with read/write permissions, but if you are getting the "operation not permitted" message while attempting to rm, it means that in your case efivarfs has been mounted as read-only and you need to remount it with read-write permissions and try again (credits to totoe_84 for this valuable addition) (Try this and then try to remove it):

*) cd /

*) umount /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/

*) mount -t efivarfs rw /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/

*) cd /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/

*) rm gpu-power-prefs-…

If this also fails (If you still can’t erase the file) use chattr command to disable file immutability and then erase the file:

*) chattr -i "/sys/firmware/efi/efivars/gpu-power-prefs-…”

*) cd /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/

*) rm gpu-power-prefs-…

2.2-Case 2:

The file gpu-power-prefs-… doesn’t exist well then you don’t have to delete it hahaha. (I repaired 2 17 inch models and 1 didn’t have it, so it’s fine)

2.3) Create a new gpu-power-prefs-… file (Original credit mentioned above, https://github.com/0xbb/gpu-switch/blob/master/gpu-switch, Credits to AppleMacFinder):

*) printf "\x07\x00\x00\x00\x01\x00\x00\x00" > /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/gpu-power-prefs-fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9

2.4) Add immutability to the gpu-power-prefs-… file (Credits to AppleMacFinder):

This chattr command is supposed to lock a file to make it accessible only by "superuser" - and so that, while booting, your EFI will have no chance to screw up your gpu-power-prefs-... variable under any circumstances

*) chattr +i "/sys/firmware/efi/efivars/gpu-power-prefs-fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9"

2.5) Unmount efivars and reboot (Credits to AppleMacFinder):

Could not unmount efivars if you are inside this directory, so change to the root directory

*) cd /

*) umount /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/

Guarantees that your EFI variables are flushed to efivarfs filesystem, please unmount it safely before rebooting)

*) reboot

3) Eliminate AMD Kexts (Credits to newfield),
Note: You might need to do this every time you do an OS updates, since each update normally writes the AMD Kexts again.

(His words and this also happened to me!: After disabling the dGPU using Arch, normal boot would hang halfway. Although safe boot would work. I wound up having to remove all the AMD kext files in the Terminal in Recovery Console)

Trying to remove them in Single User just gave me sandbox errors. (Summary -> Don’t do it in Single User Mode the one that you boot with Cmd + S)

3.1) So what you have to do is:

If you have FileVault Unlock it first:

Unlock first.

Then Boot into Recovery (“cmd + r”, it will boot without failing, if it fails then repeat step 2 and then after that boot directly into recovery with command + R, I had to do this once because the dGPU got active again after booting into the os with AMD kexts)

*) Boot into recovery mode (Command + r)

*) Start Terminal

*) diskutil cs list (find UUID for drive)

*) diskutil coreStorage unlockVolume UUID

*) cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD

*) mkdir AMD_Kexts

*) mv System/Library/Extensions/AMD*.* AMD_Kexts/

*) reboot

(If you only have one storage with 1 partition just use "cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD" and the remaining commands after starting the terminal)

Extra STEP), if your PC is now working! Download “steveschow” branch of gfxCardStatus (gfxCardStatus v2.4.3i) or just download the app directly from:

URLS:

https://github.com/steveschow/gfxCardStatus/releases

https://github.com/steveschow/gfxCardStatus

With this application you can even prove that the dedicated GPU can't get activated. Even if you try to change the selected GPU to the dedicated one, it just won't change.

—————

The End!

AND VOILA!!! You have a working 17 inch MacBook Pro. As I said I tested this with an early 2011 and late 2011 17 inch MacBook Pro’s and both are now running (Before they were both dead)

Big thanks to AppleMacFinder, to the makers and contributors of this thread, to gfxCardStatus maker and forkers :D (steveschow) and to switch-gpu makers I can’t thank you guys enough as I am so happy to bring both of this incredible machines back to life. With this post I am not trying to take any credit, but as I had 2 machines I run into different issues with both, which could be helpful to others, thats why I was inclined to make “my own” guide and share it with you.

I just created an account here to share this, Hope it helps more people!

Papanate

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
North Carolina
I was having GPU Kernel Panics with my 2011 MBP - I came across your post - and to be honest
it is a gigantic jump through a even more gigantic hoop that I just said no. I determined that my
crash problems, kernel panics, GPU Fails were related to Sierra/High Sierra. It was only when I upgraded
that the problems all showed up.

My Solution? I wiped the drive, and downgraded to El Capitan - and as soon as the install was
complete I had my old Solid MBP running smooth as all get out. I rebooted 5 consecutive times with
zero blips. The MBP has been sitting next to me for 4 hours now - running as it always did - and
without any panics or crashes.

onosideboard

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2018
So the mac is working with the integrated graphics just fine now. The only issue now is that when I close the laptop lid, the screen stays on and doesn't fall asleep. I know for a fact that this is an issue with the hard drive because I put in other hard drives and I could close the lid and have it sleep fine. Anyone else have this problem? How can I fix it?

Bravo3013

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2016
Norway
So the mac is working with the integrated graphics just fine now. The only issue now is that when I close the laptop lid, the screen stays on and doesn't fall asleep. I know for a fact that this is an issue with the hard drive because I put in other hard drives and I could close the lid and have it sleep fine. Anyone else have this problem? How can I fix it?

Hmm I dont know why different hard drives might change the mac being able to sleep or not, but I know for a fact that the OS version you are running will determine wether or not the mac can sleep. From my own experience, OS X 10.11.6 and 10.12 works fine, but 10.12.4 and 10.12.6 does not work with sleep or brightness.

Bravo3013

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2016
Norway
Awe man. But El Capitan is so old. I want to have the latest and greatest.

I do indeed agree, but at the same time I value robustness over new functions. Other users might have gotten it to work with newer versions of macOS, the versions I stated above are just the versions I have personally tested. 10.12 works fine though and is fairly new :)

Martinaude

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2017
There is a lot of solutions floating around on the forum, Ive found a solution based on combining a few of them. I can honestly say the solution I present to you below has worked for me and is a pretty straight forward option.
This solution is tested on my MacBook Pro 17" 2011 running the latest Mac OS X High Sierra 10.13.3 (with supplemental Indian Character fix)

No Linux Needed - and little info down the bottom to help get you past the black screen if you are stuck on it.

Hope this Helps:

Disable Discrete Graphics in MacBookPro 17”

1. If you have previously attempted to remove AMD kexts, revert your system to the original state by installing the latest Mac OS combo update. Installing the update will update your kext files to the latest version. After the update is finished, your MacBook will restart and freeze as soon as the dGPU is activated. Shutdown or force a restart.

2. Clear the NVRAM by holding Option + Command + P + R on startup until the MacBook reboots.

3. Boot into the single user mode by pressing Command + S on startup. Execute the following commands to enable the iGPU during the boot phase:

sudo nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00

reboot

4. Disable System Integrity Protection to allow editing system files. Boot into the verbose recovery mode by pressing Command + R + S on startup. Execute

csrutil disable

reboot

5. Go again into the the single user mode by pressing Command + S on startup. Mount root with write permissions via

/sbin/mount -uw /

(Note the space in front of the last forward slash). Next, create a backup folder by executing

mkdir backup

(To remove a directory rm -R Archives)

Move the AMDRadeonX3000.kext file to the backup folder you created by executing:

mv System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX3000.kext backup/

Moving this kext file is sufficient to prevent graphics switching.

reboot

6. Re-enable System Integrity Protection inside the verbose recovery mode (Command + R + S) by executing

csrutil enable

reboot

7. Boot into Mac OS normally and start the Terminal. Navigate to your backup folder using

cd /backup

Load the former kext file manually by executing:

sudo kextload AMDRadeonX3000.kext

This will prevent the dGPU from idling at maximum TDP. This will not re-enable graphics switching. A restart is not required.

8.Now create a login hook to run every-time your mac turns on:

sudo mkdir -p /Library/LoginHook

sudo nano /Library/LoginHook/LoadX3000.sh

contents:

#!/bin/bash

kextload /AMD_Kexts/AMDRadeonX3000.kext

exit 0

Save the file, then execute the following commands:

sudo chmod a+x /Library/LoginHook/LoadX3000.sh

sudo defaults write com.apple.loginwindow LoginHook /Library/LoginHook/LoadX3000.sh

9.Now change the GPU Switch Options for when your computer sleeps with lid close:

GPU Switch Options: (0 - Integrated, 1 - Discrete, 2 - Dynamic)

To Show current pmset gpuswitch:

pmset -g

Change pmset gpuswitch to Integrated video card.

sudo pmset -a gpuswitch 0

sudo shutdown -r now

Boot normal & test close and open lid -> sleep

If you need to check which AMD Kext are loaded:

sudo kextstat | grep AMD

Make sure the AMDX3000 is in the list shown.

Closing remarks:

Steps 4, 5 ,6 and 9 will have to be executed after each major system update that breaks graphics switching. Step 3 has to be repeated after a NVRAM reset.

Step 7 will have to be executed after every system restart to prevent overheating (If you complete step 8, you are not required to do step 7 after every reboot).

Optional Note:

If at any point you are unable to turn on your macBook Pro (Stuck on the black screen without boot sound, or after a sleep the screen just wont turn on)

leave it on in its bricked like state, and place it in an area where the computer doesn’t get much ventilation (Like a laptop bag).

leave it in for about 10-15 min. the computer will get very hot!

Now, take the laptop out of the bag, and force a SMC Reset but holding Ctrl + Alt + Shift + power button.

as soon as the computer has turned off, turn it on again. Your computer should now boot up, and you can follow the steps above to try and get it working again.

This may not work for everyone, and is not particularly good for the macBook, but its the only way I have been able to get my MacBook to turn on for me.

Hope the steps above help!

pacofraggle

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2018
Hello,

I just joined macrumours to say a BIG THANK YOU.

This problem reappeared in my macbookpro 15" from late 2011 last week and I was shocked when the guys at the genius bar told me that there was no solution (even paying). No other local repair service offered me any solution.
I was in a hurry because I had critical deadlines and had no time for anything or money for a new laptop. I must confess I was really angry with Apple.

The original solution from the thread worked for me. The boot process got stuck at the middle but a solution offered several pages later helped me out.

Thank you all guys. You're truly great people

lickybuay

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2018
Paraguay
Really Great tutorial, help me to recover my macbook pro early 2011. U rule man!!!, one question. The only think that will stop working is if i want to connect a external display right? ( i use lightning cable to vga ). Or that hardware was the one who makes the problem? (never more than one monitor).

Bravo3013

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2016
Norway
Really Great tutorial, help me to recover my macbook pro early 2011. U rule man!!!, one question. The only think that will stop working is if i want to connect a external display right? ( i use lightning cable to vga ). Or that hardware was the one who makes the problem? (never more than one monitor).

You can not use an external display after you disable the dGPU. The reason is that the physical mini-DisplayPort port is linked directly through the dGPU (which now is disabled).

lickybuay

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2018
Paraguay
You can not use an external display after you disable the dGPU. The reason is that the physical mini-DisplayPort port is linked directly through the dGPU (which now is disabled).
I thought so.. there's no way to make it work again? Even with new drivers?. Or It's a dgpu hardware issue without solution?

Bravo3013

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2016
Norway
I thought so.. there's no way to make it work again? Even with new drivers?. Or It's a dgpu hardware issue without solution?

There is actually a few method you could try:
1) USB to Hdmi dongle (check earlier posts)
2) eGPU setup (difficult to setup)

I am in this particular moment trying to setup an eGPU with my 2011 MBP but have not had any luck so far. Will report later if I get it to work.

strawbale

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
French Pyrenees
It was most probably a hiccup. When the dGPU fails, it does so randomly and gradually. Sometimes it works, other times it won't, until it stops working altogether.

Try the EFI fix first. It does work for some as it did for me for a time, but it's unstable later on. If that becomes problematic, then try the Grub solution.

Update (2 months later):
My friend decided she wanted the videocard (on her early-2011 17" MBP) replaced and has had it done.
Is she was told by the repair (with a good reputation) that her MBP would be a bit slower afterwards (?), I asked her:
* what  -> About This Mac mentioned 'graphics' and
* what  -> About This Mac -> System Report -> Hardware mentioned for 'Graphics/Displays'
her replies were:
* Intel HD 3000 512MB
* AMD Radeon HD 6490M
My questions, before I get back to her (or the repairshop):
* why does 'About This Mac' mention the iGPU ?
* will the AMD HD 6490M (256MB) not being a like for like replacement, which you'd expect (well, I would), as the original is the AMD Radeo HD 6750M (1GB), actuallu work properly in that MBP?
* what would you do (re: feedback to repairshop)?

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-6750M-Mac-vs-Radeon-HD-6490M-Mac

Last edited:

Bravo3013

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2016
Norway
Update (2 months later):
My friend decided she wanted the videocard (on her early-2011 17" MBP) replaced and has had it done.
Is she was told by the repair (with a good reputation) that her MBP would be a bit slower afterwards (?), I asked her:
* what  -> About This Mac mentioned 'graphics' and
* what  -> About This Mac -> System Report -> Hardware mentioned for 'Graphics/Displays'
her replies were:
* Intel HD 3000 512MB
* AMD Radeon HD 6490M
My questions, before I get back to her (or the repairshop):
* why does 'About This Mac' mention the iGPU ?
* will the AMD HD 6490M (256MB) not being a like for like replacement, which you'd expect (well, I would), as the original is the AMD Radeo HD 6750M (1GB), actuallu work properly in that MBP?
* what would you do (re: feedback to repairshop)?

Seems like the reparshop has given you a Logic Board that originally belongs to a 15" MBP, as the HD6490m are only available on 2011 15" with 2.0GHz processor (i7-2635QM).

In your case, your 17"MBP probably had a 2.2GHz i7 processor and a HD6750m GPU. Be aware (I assume) that both the GPU and CPU have been downgraded after the repair. You might experience slower performance both graphically and computationally. The HD6490m should theoretically work, but it has slower performance and less memory than the HD6750m. Be aware again that both the HD6490m and HD6750m are known to easily break, and your replacement might not last a long time.

If the repair-shop did not tell you that they would switch to a slower/less capable logic board, then you have some reason to complain/demand some money back.

strawbale

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
French Pyrenees
Seems like the reparshop has given you a Logic Board that originally belongs to a 15" MBP, as the HD6490m are only available on 2011 15" with 2.0GHz processor (i7-2635QM).

In your case, your 17"MBP probably had a 2.2GHz i7 processor and a HD6750m GPU. Be aware (I assume) that both the GPU and CPU have been downgraded after the repair. You might experience slower performance both graphically and computationally. The HD6490m should theoretically work, but it has slower performance and less memory than the HD6750m. Be aware again that both the HD6490m and HD6750m are known to easily break, and your replacement might not last a long time.

If the repair-shop did not tell you that they would switch to a slower/less capable logic board, then you have some reason to complain/demand some money back.
Thanks for your reply - much appreciated!

I wasn't there (with her), but she says she was (only) told it'd be a bit slower, but not why. It was her decision to go there in the first place (I'd suggested to try to do the fix from this thread, but without any guarantee of success), because the shop gives 1 yr warranty on their repairs. I'll tell her what the reason for the "it'll be a bit slower" warning is.
Remains my other Q: why does 'About This Mac' mention the iGPU deatils (rather than the dGPU, as it does on mine)?

Bravo3013

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2016
Norway
Thanks for your reply - much appreciated!

I wasn't there (with her), but she says she was (only) told it'd be a bit slower, but not why. It was her decision to go there in the first place (I'd suggested to try to do the fix from this thread, but without any guarantee of success), because the shop gives 1 yr warranty on their repairs. I'll tell her what the reason for the "it'll be a bit slower" warning is.
Remains my other Q: why does 'About This Mac' mention the iGPU deatils (rather than the dGPU, as it does on mine)?

On my 15" MBP both the GPUs are displaying under about this mac. I do not know why, though I believe it has something to do with the EFI fix and me just recently updated to 10.12.6.

Another thing that might be interesting to check is if all of your three USB ports are working, as the 15" Logic board only has two USB ports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.