Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GC Jr

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2008
I don't believe this. They wouldn't be differentiating prices between iPhone models just because of a distinction between cameras and space.

I definitely would believe that all iPhone models would include video recording and auto focus... That's a 3.0 feature.

This would probably mean that there is indeed a smaller iPhone, because 4 GB is not enough space for apps. Especially since there are ones that exceed 700 MB. People who just want a phone/iPod/browser. This also explains the cheaper plans.

My 2 cents.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
4 & 8 GB = no video, no compass, no OLED, will have APP store, will have WiFi, will have 3.2 MP camera, perhaps GPS.

16 & 32 = video, OLED, GPS, compass, 5 MP camera, etc.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
can someone explain to me what's diff in the way the iPhone handles graphics, and the way Macs handle graphics, so I can understand why there can be 13, 15 and 17" (heck, even 24") Mac screensizes without affecting their applications?

I don't know about desktop OS X but on the iPhone. The windows size of your app is either 320x460 or 320x480 (with status bar) in portrait.

I mentioned it before in several threads. A different screen size for the upcoming iPhone WILL NOT happen.

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
Apple said they simply wanted to make the best phone in the world... By selling an iPhone that's scaled down or differentiated in any major way other than storage capacity they dilute the perceived value of the brand... .

"best" can mean many different things: smallest? greatest storage? fastest processor? a compromise that combines relatively high achievement in all those categories? oh--and software, which could be ubiquitous.

how else explain the Shuffle?

how else explain why apple doesn't simply make the "best" computer, and market that single model?

There's more to it than that. No one can predict what'll be announced on the 8th, but i don't see logic supporting the idea that apple can't deviate from a single iPhone formulation.

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
can someone explain to me what's diff in the way the iPhone handles graphics, and the way Macs handle graphics, so I can understand why there can be 13, 15 and 17" (heck, even 24") Mac screensizes without affecting their applications?

On the iPhone, the app always fills the whole screen (one app at the time), while on the Mac, this would make no sense and therefore you can adjust the size of the app and have many of them open at the same time. Current iPhone apps just aren't designed to scale beyond the 320x480 resolution we have today.

golfstud

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2004
Fresno, California
NO 4GB ever again

consider this FUD. The rumors are out in force for WWDC. The original 4GB didn't sell, they are not going backwards. I can see 8GB going to $100 or $149 subsidized. All the apps are designed for the current iphone resolution, there will be no IPHONE nano or limited function phone. THE only way I see a tiered product line is if the low end has NO CAMERA, but software will run on both just like IPOD touch. I think in the end all of them will have cameras.

Apple's best bet is to MERGE the IPOD touch and phone to clear away space for price points. If they get a phone near $100 they HAVE the market and really "still birth" the PRE.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
I definitely would believe that all iPhone models would include video recording and auto focus... That's a 3.0 feature.

My 2 cents.

Well, perhaps you could explain then why Apple has already started leaking information about what features from 3.0 will and won't work on 1st and 2nd gen phones based on what HARDWARE they have?

We know that both of these phones will be getting 3.0 updates but that A2DP will only work on the 3G and we also know that there are other features rumored not to work on the 1st and 2nd gen phones, such as video recording, due to hardware capabilities in the phones themselves.

This leaves plenty of room for Apple to further differentiate different models in firmware and turn on or off certain functions (video camera) based on the hardware or model of the phone.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
consider this FUD. The rumors are out in force for WWDC. The original 4GB didn't sell, they are not going backwards. I can see 8GB going to $100 or $149 subsidized. All the apps are designed for the current iphone resolution, there will be no IPHONE nano or limited function phone. THE only way I see a tiered product line is if the low end has NO CAMERA, but software will run on both just like IPOD touch. I think in the end all of them will have cameras.

Apple's best bet is to MERGE the IPOD touch and phone to clear away space for price points. If they get a phone near $100 they HAVE the market and really "still birth" the PRE.

Are you kidding? They've sold FOUR TIMES as many iPod Touch as they have iPhone.

Maybe because a lot of people can't afford or justify spending $70 on a phone service plan when all they need is a media player.

Your idea is nonsensical in the extreme.

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/06/01/fidos-2009-roadmap-leaked/

fido-leak-16a.jpg

looks like there might actually be ichat video calling :eek:

britlover

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2009
alright, so first post now. i know apple have said they dont want to clutter the iphone line, but think about it like blackberry. a lot of kids are happy buying the curve and it doesnt have 3g. but it can go on facebook and get email and such. is it crazy to think they would have and iphone nano with say a 3" screen with the same 320x480 resolution (so as not mess with the 3rd party apps), 2g only, basically just a scaled down original iphone, price it between $50-100, and the data plan would be way cheaper ergo better for kids and they could expand their users since most iphone buyers are making over 100k. im not saying i would buy the iphone nano, i just dont see why people are going so crazy about the idea of one, makes sense. and i dont see it as a low end iphone, i see it as an amazing phone better than wat 80 percent of people are using, and the iphone pro as something that we're lucky to get

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
Originally posted by compile 'em all
I don't know about desktop OS X but on the iPhone. The windows size of your app is either 320x460 or 320x480 (with status bar) in portrait..I mentioned it before in several threads. A different screen size for the upcoming iPhone WILL NOT happen.

I guess i was looking for an explanation, rather than just a reiteration of your position. I'm really just trying to learn.

On the iPhone, the app always fills the whole screen (one app at the time), while on the Mac, this would make no sense and therefore you can adjust the size of the app and have many of them open at the same time. Current iPhone apps just aren't designed to scale beyond the 320x480 resolution we have today.

so for all its years apple accommodated scalable apps, but intro'd the iPhone SDK without the ability to scale up to larger screens? and it also lacks the ability to scale to smaller screens? Is that a huge programming challenge? Do any of the "smart phones" have scalable windows, if that's the word? What if a higher-density (resolution) screen went on a smaller form-factor phone: the screen could have smaller physical dimensions but the same pixel dimensions? I've read the new OLED screens are packing in higher density. And i guess--sorry for all the questions about screens, but i'm eager to learn--i guess a new OLED screen or any screen with HD resolution, like the upcoming ZuneHD, simply isn't possible o an iPhone unless all the apps are rewritten, or apps that aren't rewritten being "broken"? Lastly (whew!): I guess a new iPhone OS, like 3.0, couldn't introduce scaling, the ability to scale existing apps to different size screens?

I'm looking for a lecture on screens, i guess, and their relationship to software.

Thanks all.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
This would probably mean that there is indeed a smaller iPhone, because 4 GB is not enough space for apps. Especially since there are ones that exceed 700 MB. People who just want a phone/iPod/browser. This also explains the cheaper plans.

My 2 cents.

Wha!?!?!

While 4 GB isn't enough room for a lot of things, it's certainly enough room for the app space needs of 99%+ of users out there.

Music fans, video fans, these people might need more than 4 GB. But people who are crazy about apps? 4 GB is perfect.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
ICHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:
Video CALLING! OMG!

I can't believe this is actually happening!!!!

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
IDK... A bunch of different HDD sizes + different OS configs = a messy product line. Possibly yielding different experiences depending on the device/config you choose. Seems a bad idea, for a myriad of reasons.

What if the HDD size differences is simply meant to allow for a cheaper (read: $99 USD 4 GB iPhone 3G), but the user experience/OS will be identical across all models?

I just cant see Apple crippling an iPhone product, just for differentiation's sake.

samac92

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008

My 2 cents.

4GB is more than enough room for apps, I have 150 apps on my mac and they only take up 1.2GB

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Explain to me how someone getting a $99 4GB iPhone with the hardware functionality of the original 1st generation iPhone is getting a "crippled" iPhone?

Many people still simply want what the original iPhone offered, but at a lower price. If Apple releases a $99 4GB iPhone that does not include magnetometer, GPS, video camera, etc, then how is that releasing a product that dilutes the line?

A 1st gen iPhone was the best in it's day but after the release of a better iPhone is just an older model, a brand new iPhone with hardware made deliberately less powerful than it's higher spec brother is crippled.

It would dilute the line by reducing the perceived value of the iPhone brand.

If fararri sold a new model with an old 90's engine in it to reduce costs and sold it for £20k, sure they'd shift a load of units but all the people who bought a farrari for £70k wouldn't feel as smug if their poorer chav neighbour was also driving a farrari... Farrari would go bust because the perceived value of their brand would be diluted... People buy apple for the same reason people buy farraris... Each new model is perceived to be the best money can buy at that time...

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Honestly, the Palm Pre is going DOWN! LOL! From the looks of it, the only thing the iPhone might not have is a physical keyboard!

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
The 4GB is interesting.

They got rid of that pretty quickly because nobody wanted it before. So I think it is either the China iPhone, or there is definitely something else that differentiates it hardware or software wise and also it would have to have a different plan with AT&T or you will still have a $100+ a month bill and that defeats the purpose of having a more affordable model.
AppleInsider did not say it was the FCC that approved the 4 models. Instead, it was the PTCRB (PCS Type Review Certification Board). So my guess is also that the low-end model is for the China market. Not sure about the 8GB.

Applebyter

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2009
alright, so first post now. i know apple have said they dont want to clutter the iphone line, but think about it like blackberry. a lot of kids are happy buying the curve and it doesnt have 3g. but it can go on facebook and get email and such. is it crazy to think they would have and iphone nano with say a 3" screen with the same 320x480 resolution (so as not mess with the 3rd party apps), 2g only, basically just a scaled down original iphone, price it between $50-100, and the data plan would be way cheaper ergo better for kids and they could expand their users since most iphone buyers are making over 100k. im not saying i would buy the iphone nano, i just dont see why people are going so crazy about the idea of one, makes sense. and i dont see it as a low end iphone, i see it as an amazing phone better than wat 80 percent of people are using, and the iphone pro as something that we're lucky to get

most iphone users make over 100k? um thats a very poor assessment. if that were true NOT MANY people would even own the iphone in the first place seeing how a majority of america does NOT make that much money. to say that the only ppl who use iphones are rich ppl is a pretty ignorant, if not conceited (despite the fact that it is), way of thinking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.