Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

junebug1

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
NE Ohio
Thanks for the reply iPhanatic. I thought more people would give me a quick opinion but I guess not I am personally kind of sick of reading about cases as well...point being I decided to say f-it and just buy both of them (1 for me 1 for my girlfriend) and I'll be sure to post and let you know how they turn out with a few pics as well. I got one for $25 and the other for $30 (including shipping). Not bad I guess for getting two cases for the price of one gear4. We will see. Check back for updates this weekend I hope!

iPhanatic

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
Cupertino, CA
Thanks for the reply iPhanatic. I thought more people would give me a quick opinion but I guess not I am personally kind of sick of reading about cases as well...point being I decided to say f-it and just buy both of them (1 for me 1 for my girlfriend) and I'll be sure to post and let you know how they turn out with a few pics as well. I got one for $25 and the other for $30 (including shipping). Not bad I guess for getting two cases for the price of one gear4. We will see. Check back for updates this weekend I hope!

Hey junebug1, believe me I am so tired of looking for cases for my wife and I. Yesterday I placed an order for the naked case from case mate and decided to go ahead and wait a month for them. Now I'm going to try and cancel that and just get it over with and get the ones on ebay. Please do update all of us on the quality as it looks very similar to the other brands.

LateNightRadio

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2005
I simply am crazy for this case. It "looks" better then any of the others that I have seen. I sent an e-mail to Gear4 hopefully to try to find out how to get one of these here in the US.

After pondering over this case for a bit, I'm amazed with the design and feel of the iPhone. Now I'm curious how fast this case may show scratches? The point of the case is to protect the phone, but I like the look of the case so much that now I'm thinking about protecting it too if I can get it. I know really silly. Soon I'll just be carrying everything in a padded metal briefcase if I continue to think like this.

This is sold by several companies in the US. ArtWizz, and CaseMate are two that come to mind. It's the exact same product. Just with different brands tacked on the back.

And it picks up scratches extremely quickly.

Stinger123

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
To anyone from the UK who ordered direct from Gear4. How long did your order take to arrive?. Did you get shipping notification?

Hello

I ordered from Gear4 store tuesday, got a shippingnotification the next day.

Emailed them for a trackingnumber and just got it.

They ship via RoyalMail so the trackingnumber has to be used on royalmail.co.uk untill the package leaves the UK, then you have to track it via whatever postalservice who recieves it in the states (USPS?) but with the same number.

squirrelman

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2007
I went ahead and bought one of the ebay versions of the case mate type case. I'll try to remember to post how it is when I get it.

ctnguye3

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
Just ordered

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260265350481

15min later it said it was shipped lol...

Canadian so should take about 7-14 days :( Will let you know what its like though when I get it.

I ordered mine from the same seller on eBay on Monday and received it today, the case is "alright", it feels a little cheap (including the packaging), and the plastic seems to scratch easily even though its advertise as "scratch resistant".

Installation is very easy and unlike most other iphone cases it doesn't scratch the back. The case does add some bulk to the phone. Overall I would give it a 6/10.

For now, I will keep this case, but will continue to search for the "perfect" case.

iPhanatic

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
Cupertino, CA
I ordered mine from the same seller on eBay on Monday and received it today, the case is "alright", it feels a little cheap (including the packaging), and the plastic seems to scratch easily even though its advertise as "scratch resistant".

Installation is very easy and unlike most other iphone cases it doesn't scratch the back. The case does add some bulk to the phone. Overall I would give it a 6/10.

For now, I will keep this case, but will continue to search for the "perfect" case.

Thanks for the feedback, I guess I'll hold on to my Case Mate Naked Case order for now

GeneticFreak84

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008

Good to know. I ordered mine from that eBay seller and it should arrive any day now. However, I didn't cancel my Gear4 Ice Box order, so I was planning on using that as a backup. Now, I'll probably just use the eBay case as a temp til the Gear4 case arrives...

dinojr

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2008
Hi. I just bought this from a local Apple store.

My only problem seems to be the air bubbles under the cover EVERY time I use the phone. I know you can "squeeze" the case to remove them, but is there a permanent way?

Cross2

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2008
I recommend waiting for the Case-Mate version. If you look at the back latch for all the different types, Case-Mate's design is the most secure (based on video/product reviews). On the generic latch models, a lot of people report the back piece coming off completely when holding or pulling it out of the pocket.

I believe the air bubble issue can be fixed by placing cushions within the case. The air bubbles usually do not happen to everyone so I am guessing it is most likely a defect in some cases.

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California

got any pics?;)

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
I just got the shipping confirmation from Gear4. Did anybody get charged twice from them? I was charged $50 at first and then $30:confused:, I wonder if it's the pre-authorization thing for the $50 bucks and it will go away? Anybody:confused:

GeneticFreak84

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
I just got the shipping confirmation from Gear4. Did anybody get charged twice from them? I was charged $50 at first and then $30:confused:, I wonder if it's the pre-authorization thing for the $50 bucks and it will go away? Anybody:confused:

Me too! I was charged the ~ $50 on Wednesday, the day I placed the order. Today I just checked my online bank account, and I received ANOTHER charge of $31.74 :mad:

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
Me too! I was charged the ~ $50 on Wednesday, the day I placed the order. Today I just checked my online bank account, and I received ANOTHER charge of $31.74 :mad:

boy am I glad I'm not alone but I'm :mad: too. Do you have access to email Genetic? Can you email them and ask them? I can't send email from my work, they are monitored:rolleyes: Thanks if you can!;)

jerseiko

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2008
Hi. I just bought this from a local Apple store.

My only problem seems to be the air bubbles under the cover EVERY time I use the phone. I know you can "squeeze" the case to remove them, but is there a permanent way?

Is anybody that bought this case off of Ebay also having a lot of issues with air bubbles under the cover?

macman4291

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2006
There you go...
http://homepage.mac.com/ctnguye3/PhotoAlbum3.html

The pictures of the iPhone 3G case is the case I purchased off eBay, I also took some comparison shots of the 2G iPhone incase slider.

How is the latch on the back, it looks a bit cheaper the the case-mate or the gear4 but still looks good, Im glad I went for this type of case....

How is the back, and is their any clinginess to the screeen...also do you think a power support screen protector would fit or effect it at all

dinojr

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2008
Is anybody that bought this case off of Ebay also having a lot of issues with air bubbles under the cover?

I have solved the air bubble issue. I stuck two layers of electrical tape on the inside of the cover, out of sight. This has been sufficient to raise the cover above the iphone screen an extra quarter mm. So now there are no trapped air problems, and the responsiveness of the iphone hasn't suffered.

ctnguye3

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
How is the latch on the back, it looks a bit cheaper the the case-mate or the gear4 but still looks good, Im glad I went for this type of case....

How is the back, and is their any clinginess to the screeen...also do you think a power support screen protector would fit or effect it at all

The latch holds the phone case securely, in fact I have a difficult time taking it apart (which is a good thing). I have notice clinginess to the screen, but I believe that's "normal" for these type of case. As for the power support film, you shouldn't have any problems using it with the case, but if you're thinking about using something like Invisibleshield or BSE for extra protection over the iPhone, it will likely not fit.

unknown8bit

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2008
moire?

I decided against InvisibleShield for my iPhone - I used it on my 3G Nano and it's kept it free from scratches, but didn't save it from getting a dent in the top corner when it fell out of my pocket when I was getting out of my car once :(. Knowing that I am very likely to drop my iPhone at some point I knew I had to get a case and spent about 45 minutes pondering which one to get in the Apple Store. In the end I went for the Gear4 IceBox Pro and it's great! It was one of the more expensive cases (£24.95) - about £10 more than many of the silicone sleeve ones. However, it allows the design of the iPhone to show through the case, and it protects the whole front face too.

I was a little concerned that it might make the iPhone too bulky, and you can see from some of the close-up pictures that the casing is about 2mm thick. However, it still fits in my pockets and I feel a lot more secure that when (not if :eek: ) I drop my iPhone, it will probably survive more or less unscathed.

There is actually quite a knack to getting the iPhone out of the case, which is hard to explain but easy when you know how - when I put it in on the first day without actually cleaning off all the fingerprints etc from my iPhone I panicked a bit because I couldn't work out how to get the case off again. However, it is possible to remove the case pretty easily. I really recommend this case!

hey tallyho, thanks for the great pics! it looks like there is a bit of a moire pattern on the screen part of the case -- is it like that in person and does it bother you at all?

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
boy am I glad I'm not alone but I'm :mad: too. Do you have access to email Genetic? Can you email them and ask them? I can't send email from my work, they are monitored:rolleyes: Thanks if you can!;)

Well just as I suspect, the $50 charge was probably just an authorization, it went away now and just charged $30 bucks for the case. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.