Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Really super nice lady on the phone right now.. Said i was going ot be out of the country when they are supposed to update and I wold rather not deal with it..

She told me that I already have an unlimited text/multi media plan on my account..

I said, this i know..however I was told **** my phone just disconnected!! NOOO>>>>> I had the NICEST lady on the phone!!

In my experience with ATT if your call drops the same person will call you back.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
yea.. called back again.. got a REALLY nice guy, but apparently NONE of them actually know how to do it.. and they go and get a supervisor and then the supervisor is the phone who says NO.

I tried the "I will be out of town" deal and it didn't work.. they said the block will be removed automatically .. well, DUH..

OH WELL

fazm

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
looks like a no go, there was a copy and pasted response within seconds of joining the chat

Sarah Williams: I apologize that your MMS is not working, Mr. .

Sarah Williams: Apple has announced upcoming availability of iPhone software 3.0, which includes MMS (Multi-Media Messaging) for iPhone 3G and iPhone 3G S. MMS is not supported on the original iPhone. AT&T will enable MMS for iPhone 3G and iPhone 3G S after launch in late summer 2009, after completing system upgrades to ensure that our customers have the best experience with MMS. These upgrades are unrelated to our 3G network, and when MMS is ready, we will contact customers to let them know that they are able to connect to iTunes. Customers will be prompted to download a software update. This update will enable customers to seamlessly send and receive picture and video messaging like they do on other AT&T devices.

david: i understand that MMS is not ready for the iphone yet

david : my problem is when im trying to send group messages (to more than 1 person) it wants to send it as a "Group MMS" instead of regular messages

david : Its important for me to be able to send group messages, since i have to text my daily production for my work to the owners

david : every day

Sarah Williams: I am so very sorry but I am not able to assist you with this problem. You will need to contact Apple at the following number. Apple Support: 1-800-My-iPhone (1-800-694-7466). Or you can go to there support page at http://www.apple.com/support/iphone

david : They told me they couldnt help, i called them earlier today

Sarah Williams: We only provide the network for the phone, Mr. .

Sarah Williams: We do not have any instruction or tutorials on the iPhone. I apologize for any inconvenince.

david : ok thank you

i told her i didnt even want picture mail, i needed group messaging

DamnDJ

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2003
Baltimore
I think they are on to us..

I tried calling AT&T and she said that I have an internet data plan with unlimited text messaging which will allow me to receive mms. I told her that it appears to be blocked at the account level, and she said no, it should work.

I then said I get a link whenever I get an MMS and she told me since I have the iphone, I have to wait until the end of summer.

Oh well.

jonessodarally

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2006
I retract what i said earlier. I got a rep to get it working for me. it took me like 30 minutes on the phone. we tried all the tricks listed throughout the forums. what finally worked:

rep told me several times, verbatim "The iPhone does not currently support MMS messaging. It will be available later this summer." I finally said something that clicked with her (I think I asked her if she could attempt to re-provision my phone for MMS messaging). She tried some stuff on her end, had me do a soft reset (home+sleep/wake buttons) etc. Didn't work. But at least now she was on my side, trying to get it working.

I remembered reading some stuff online, so i suggested sim swapping.

took sim out of iphone. placed in different phone (an LG Neon) and the rep requested my IMEI number. turned on the phone, sent a regular text to myself. then sent a pic msg to myself. didn't go through. she sent a test mms from her end. didn't come through. restarted the LG neon, still no luck. this was quite a ways into the call. she said this was all the stuff she knew to try to get it working on other phones where it wasn't. she was genuinely sorry, i could tell, so I thanked her for taking time to work on it. i pulled out the sim, put it back in my iphone.

boom, six test messages from at&t came flying in. tried sending one... worked.

Success.

So... there's no real rhyme or reason for it working or not working. but. it works. and who knows for how long. ha

SeVeN

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
San Jose
well, i almost had it. i had the lady i talked to, add mms, but then she said that she took off my iphone plan. so i just had her reverse what she did.

damn it

jonessodarally

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2006
as i have said many times.. its grayed out and i cannot choose the ipcc file

there's a terminal command you can do, or a prerelease version of itunes that does not gray out the ipcc file. each are available readily around the webz. as is this exact explanation of why your attempt has failed.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
yep.. and if you read the instructions or EVEN read through the thread.. the answer is right there.. I understand missing it. but when ten people since you posted have said RUN THE TERMINAL COMMAND or re read the directions.. you would have thought you could have gotten it.

But it doesnt matter.. dont bother.. there will not be an ATT associate to :unblock: MMS

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
then you did it wrong. it works. I have a MBP and ran it with no issues. You have to copy and paste it exactly..

I still think you are wasting your time.. theres no way you are going to have them unblock your MMS on you raccount

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Has anyone attempted to put your sim in a different phone and have them activate mms?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.