Google's New Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL Smartphones Likely to Debut at Upcoming October 9 Event

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

Eh, sales don't tell me the everyday user is that interested in it. The interest I see in the Pixel line specifically are those tech enthusiasts who yearn for the pure android experience, and the best camera. And my point wasn't that Google was targeting a niche market of users, but that the current sales and user-base indicate it lives in a niche market, whether that's Google's intention or not.

This is coming from a person who enjoys the Pixel line. I owned a Pixel 2 XL for several months.

2. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

Sight lines need adjusting.
    It appears not a lot of everyday users are interested.

3. Baymowe335 macrumors 603

My iPhone is more powerful than anything Google makes. A11>Snapdragon 845
    --- Post Merged, Sep 7, 2018 ---
    Numbers to support your statement of “quite a following?”

Everything is relative, so I guess you mean Pixel sells a lot relative to 0? They sell <4M Pixels per year and it hurts other Android phones, not Apple.

4. TrentS macrumors 6502

TrentS

What is this!? Google Rumors!? ha ha

Well, it looks like Google is bumping it up a "notch". ;)

I had to get my pun in too.....

5. MacBH928 macrumors 68040

MacBH928

It surprises me how many people opt for the Google product although they actually tell them in their face we track you and sell your data. Can you imagine this in the 90s: Hello, This is our Nokia 3330, it records your location, sms, call records, and conversation, sends it to us so we sell it to others. Buy NOW, $300 only!

Seriously, other than YouTube there are other options.

6. Baymowe335, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018

Baymowe335 macrumors 603

That link tells me nothing...I look at what people actually buy and how much they are willing to spend.

I look at numbers. The sales of iPhone have been unaffected by the Pixel. In fact, Apple just showed you they have even more pricing power than anyone thought. Increased ASP $100/phone and still sold 1% more units than last year.

Apple crushes the competition and dominates this market. When I see the numbers weaken in the 10K, I’ll change my thesis. You can keep reading nonsense on phone arena for your information.

Did you mean to say the Pixel has “objectively” the better camera? If not, I agree the camera performance is subjective. Apple certainly has the better video performance and I’ve seen some Pixel photos look better and some iPhone X photos look better. Apple also has 2x optical zoom, which I like.

7. 358547 Suspended

8. TrentS macrumors 6502

TrentS

Not only are they ripping off the iPhone in many ways, but their packaging is "creepily" similar to anything that is Apple.

9. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

I mean, it's not an ad. It's a person who got ahold of it two months early. This wasn't a Google video.

10. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

Quoting sales numbers does not justify your speaking in absolutes. If a single person bought the pixel over the iPhone it means it may have something to offer that the iPhone doesn't. Besides, I wasn't trying to prove it was more popular, only that it did matter.

I meant it when I said subjective, because it is. However, from what I have seen, more reviewers tend to like the pixels cameras. That's all there is to it. If well known sources like mkbhd rave about it, you can bet Apple is going to take notice.

And also, that link should tell you something. You're just choosing to ignore/discredit what you don't like.
    You can see my post above.

11. Vjosullivan macrumors 6502a

Vjosullivan

"Everyone" might want an iPhone but 90% will actually buy an Android.

12. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I'm enjoying the quality of handsets that are coming out. It just keeps pushing everyone to be better. I'm not google fan, but if it wasn't an iPhone it would be a Pixel phone. I like stock android handsets.

13. Defthand macrumors 65816

Read a thread’s origin before you make uninformed comments. The poster was dismissing the Pixel based on its humble sales and called the product a niche one. The comments from Apple’s followers are not unlike those of Microsoft’s customers when Apple was humble.

14. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

Since this phone’s OS is an ad platform it will be sold at a deep discount versus iPhone. Right?

15. jimi78 macrumors regular

jimi78

Damn, first the notch and now I hear that a pixel3 was "lost" in a Lyft. What else will google copy from the Apple playbook? Are they going to build a space ship sized headquarters now too??!

16. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I've been saying this for years on this forum and everyone disagrees Google isn't trying to be Samsung or Apple.

Neither of those are factors when I'm looking to get a phone.

Google doesn't really intend for the Pixel to sell well it's a platform to introduce a new OS, just like Pixelbooks. If you like them they'll sell them to you for a pretty penny but that's not the goal.

IMHO the Pixel people are just as hardcore about their choice as iPhone people. While I like seeing what the new iPhone/Samsung/HTC/Nokia/Sony have the reality is that the only phone I'm going to buy is a Pixel.

17. skinned66 macrumors 65816

skinned66

From what I've seen from the Pixel 3s so far it appears I'll be staying with Apple this round too. The rumored new iPhones look like much better value IMO.

18. Cryates, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018

Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

A lot of folks want companies to aspire to be Apple or Samsung, so they can watch them fail to be such. The reality is, Google will be just fine with making small coin on hardware. I firmly believe they aren't in it to take down the iPhone, or whatever some folks tell themselves. They'll happily welcome a small sliver of that market segment, sure, but Google should know better than anyone that competition in the market alone is healthy for the market overall.

There are several reasons for Google to design and manufacture their own hardware, but I don't believe (and I don't think Google believes) taking down Apple and it's iPhone are on that list.

19. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I agree

20. Baymowe335 macrumors 603

Problem is, you have no meaningful data to show people choose Pixel over iPhone. Meanwhile, I have sales data to show Apple crushes Pixel and every other phone.

Who cares about a couple people buying Pixels over iPhone even if it’s true? The overall market has spoken. Pixel is a rounding error.
    Ah yes, you mean the people that buy the sub $200 Android phones and can’t afford flagship iPhones OR Android. Break your numbers out for Flagship Android vs iPhone and come back. Don’t come at me with total market share that means mostly 0 profit.
    Now you’re trying to infer Google’s intention with the Pixel? They don’t want to sell 220M phones? Of course they do...they can’t. If it’s to “show off” their OS, they’d want to show it to as many as possible.

21. Zachari macrumors regular

Zachari

I really have no qualms about the notch on the iPhone. But the notch on the Pixel is just plain fugly. It looks too small for the area it's in and the gap at the bottom just means they added it for the "aesthetic."

22. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

The thread origin is irrelevant to the response I posted.
    StevieD100 responded to this:
    That has nothing to do with the repsonse I gave. I am responding to this unsupported comment:
    With those Pixel numbers the whole mobile industry is dismissing the Pixel.
    Currently they are a threat to no one but themselves.
    If the number of Pixel sales bothers you do a better job and buy one and get your friends and family to buy one.
    If you have a problem with comments from Apple followers, you need to deal with that own your own and don't lump me in with it.

And in the future take your own advice and learn to follow a thread.

23. satchmo macrumors 68020

I'm curious what kind of numbers these Pixel phones sell.
    Certainly no where near iPhone quantities, but I'm thinking it must be a decent seller.

24. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/13/17007104/google-pixel-total-sales-idc-statistics

25. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I think it's inevitable. The tech to put this stuff under the display isn't there yet. Perhaps you could miniturize the tech into a really, really thin bezel? But that is probably years away still. What are they going to do in the meantime—look more outdated? I guess they are supposedly working on a foldable smartphone. I'd really love to see them kick Apple's butt with that one and push them to innovate more, but it will likely be pretty gimmicky at first.