Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mercurystorm

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2017
GPS issues on beta 1 and beta 2

Reset privacy settings - no improvement
Reset network settings - no improvements

Waze takes up to 10min to get a GPS lock

Model A1901 (Intel) iPhone X

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Purely anecdotal: if I start a trip with the phone still connected to Wi-Fi where I am, I get a good lock immediately (as would be expected as the phone already knows where I am from the Wi-Fi) and I get good nav. My trip is in a highly populated area so I’m probably getting more from the mesh of known Wi-Fi locations than I am from the gps constellation.

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
Same issues here.
GPS takes forever to get a decent fix while stationary, can't follow or fix position while moving. Maps, Waze etc. are essentially useless while in traffic, walking directions are so-so.
I have the European version of iPhone X so I figure it's the Intel modem one.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Beta 2 is absolutely the worst for me when it comes to GPS. Used it in a total of at least 3hrs now, and it never even got a fix...

But hey, that's the risk of installing a beta, at least the battery isn't draining ;-)

bansh

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2014
Frankfurt
Confirmed! GPS in iOS12 / WatchOS 5 is the worst GPS issue in all BETA versions ever.
But we wanted to use the beta! :(
We are to greeedy...

tearsen

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2014
Give it a day i done that was fine for that day then went crazy and wouldn't connect

Mine still works perfect after the fresh install done yesterday, it have been 30 hours now. I think the restore solved my issue with gps, but only time can tell.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I reset network settings last night and today gave Maps a whirl on a 40 mile round trip. I turned off wifi for this test so that GPS would be the major locational input. Took about 7-10 minutes to lock on. After that, it generally did ok (with a few instances where it had me off the road). Better experience overall than before I reset network settings.

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
I reset network settings last night and today gave Maps a whirl on a 40 mile round trip. I turned off wifi for this test so that GPS would be the major locational input. Took about 7-10 minutes to lock on. After that, it generally did ok (with a few instances where it had me off the road). Better experience overall than before I reset network settings.
Can u help explain, what makes the gps not work well on the beta is it the modem firmware or radio thingy im hoping beta 3 gets it back to normal :)

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Can u help explain, what makes the gps not work well on the beta is it the modem firmware or radio thingy im hoping beta 3 gets it back to normal :)

I wish I knew. I find it highly odd that I’m having issues with both gps and my phone not being able to place calls from time to time. My gut tells me that’s not a coincidence. Unfortunately, my gut does not have a degree in electrical engineering!

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No
In beta 2 NOT fixed

It’s looking more and more like the carrier type (CDMA vs GSM) is the difference. With a few exceptions the CDMA GPS seems to work normally but not most of the GSM models. I have a Verizon iphone X and have not had any GPS issues in either beta.

Thoughts?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
It’s looking more and more like the carrier type (CDMA vs GSM) is the difference. With a few exceptions the CDMA GPS seems to work normally but not most of the GSM models. I have a Verizon iphone X and have not had any GPS issues in either beta.

Thoughts?
Is it that or the modem (likely the same split)? Fascinating issue. But I'd like it fixed, please!

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA

Thoughts?

I still believe this is a modem issue because I’m using a SIM-free unlocked model which is Verizon/Sprint model on T-Mobile GSM network with no issue. Most people who are reporting issues are related to models on GSM network which is also related to Intel modem on these GSM only iPhone models. I also read somewhere that there some cellular issues with the GPS issue.

Last edited:

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
I wonder if Apple makes such bugs deliberately so we should not install developer betas on important devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.