Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2015
Especially their advertising policies.

I deleted the app after me and my pal were discussing buying a new car, whilst on my iphone.
After the call, i went onto the facebook app, where i was confronted with car ads.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
This is what I think IOS 10 reveals about iPhone 8-9-10 and Jobs' input.

2000-2001 Jony Ive designs the colorful iMac (rounded shapes)

2002-2006 Jony Ive designs the iBook and iPods (white or black fronts, chrome rear) Rounded edges.

2007 iPhone 1 is released which mimics iPod look. Chrome back, plastic front, rounded edges
Same until iPhone 3GS.

All IOS versions until then have mimicked these rounded shapes, until IOS 6.

2010 iPhone 4 is released with pure input from Jobs not Ive (Ive had never iirc designed anything with square edges) Most are surprised at the squareness of iPhone 4. Remember Jobs: "we wanted it to remind you of a Leica camera." He was a 60's kid afterall. A Leica camera viewed from the front looks identical to an iPhone 4 viewed from the side but with the materials inverted.

2012 iPhone 5 is released which is a design evolution of the 4. With Jobs dead Ive is free to use his preferred and more modern unibody aluminum. Jobs was against aluminum saying it aged horribly badly, whereas steel aged gracefully in the steel and glass 4. iPhone 5 has the same square shapes because it was approved when Jobs was still alive.

Around this time IOS is heavily in need of an overhaul.

2013 IOS 7 is released and mimics the "squarer" design language in Jobs' iphone 4 and its evolution the iPhone 5. IOS 7 is a work of art. IOS7 (to 9) design was like a high tech, "actual" futuristic version of that 80's neon pop culture future depicted in the movie Back to the Future Part II. Bright neon, yet high tech, clean and simple. No traces of the industrial age left. But IOS 7 (to 9) was an "actual 2015" version of the design language suggested in that 1989 film. Over the top, eye catching yet minimalist at the same time. A seemingly impossible combination which appeared to be the work of a genius. High tech made more high tech by minimalism.

2013 With Jobs deceased Ive can return clean slate to his true love of rounded shapes per the pre-iPhone 4 era. iBook, iMac, iPod, iPhone 1-3GS.

2014 iPhone 6 and up feature rounded, soft shapes, again.

But with those hideous antenna bands! Jobs would have never approved imo. Here's Jobs (from the keynote) on the minimal 1/32nd of an inch (less than a mm) black line breaks on the steel antenna band of the 4: "What's this? These black lines. This is very UNLIKE Apple! Well it turns out..." And those were almost unnoticably thin breaks, compared to the thick bands on the 6 and 7. Also the raised camera on iPhone 7, etc. Again something Jobs would never have approved imo.

Now there is a mismatch with the new iPhones 6-7 and IOS 7-9s hard, square shapes and so we see:

2016 IOS 10 released with rounder shapes everywhere.

So I'm guessing (if Apple is as internally consistent and future proof as it appears) the iPhone 8 and later will continue with the rounded shapes Ive loves. Perhaps experimenting with different materials now. Ceramics, etc. A phone with a maximal touch screen can only have so many different "shapes" if it is to have soft, rounded features. Now the issue is that the material aluminum has been around too long.

It also sort of tells me what role Jobs played in the design process and how he was pretty much better in some ways than Ive, who isn't as good as his reputation seems to suggest (just look at iPhone 6 and IOS 10)

So I think the future of iPhones will be rounded shapes and different materials such as ceramics. Also more gimmicks like perhaps finally a glowing Apple logo (EL plates anyone?), with different colors to indicate different events. The LED flash alert is way too outdated.

Innovation and usability features will (I hope) genuinely blow us away, but seeing how IOS 10's primary innovations are aimed at 12 year olds (fireworks in messaging?) and Android defectors (ugly design) I'm scared as well.

It does make sense though:

1. Everyone already owns a smartphone, there is no market to attract people with what a smartphone can do. That leaves the only target market as being non-iPhone smartphone users (Android users). So for conversion you must design something they are used to, to reduce < conversion fear (so Android like features and therefore =unfortunately ugly, unintuitive design).

2. The only people who ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, MUST have a new iPhone every year are 12-16 year old kids, so thats your market as well. And kids don't care that much about great design or maximising simplicity and minimalism, but more about confetti in their messages.

Someone at Apple really knows alot about finance lol, because 1+2 is simple, dispassionate financial logic. :) But 1+2 leaves us with an ugly phone with features aimed at children. Jobs really did die and now Apple has become "the copycats".

Obviously this is all my opinion but I wanted to put it out there.

The thread title should read "I THINK" - because you spent so long writing your opinion - it is not fact. The thread title reads like a cover headline from a glossy women's gossip mag.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
2013 IOS 7 is a work of art. IOS7 (to 9) design was like a high tech, "actual" futuristic version of that 80's neon pop culture future depicted in the movie Back to the Future Part II. Bright neon, yet high tech, clean and simple. No traces of the industrial age left. But IOS 7 (to 9) was an "actual 2015" version of the design language suggested in that 1989 film. Over the top, eye catching yet minimalist at the same time. A seemingly impossible combination which appeared to be the work of a genius. High tech made more high tech by minimalism.

The release of iOS 7, which was an eyesore in many ways, and still is, was the precise tipping point for Apples quality. Prior to that, we had beautifully designed devices and software. Pre - iOS7 days, people flocked to Apple because of how things just worked. An iPhone was fun to use, Everything was so easy to use and worked pretty much flawlessly. There was a consistent design language. The user-experience was amazing and clearly the focus for most decisions.

Now look at iOS, I still can't believe pop-up menus are still these grey blobs with bright pink or blue text. I still can't believe the dock is supposed to look how it does, especially on an iPad. There are parts of it that I like, such as the use of white in the Messages and Settings apps, but parts of it are just so bad.

Then we got Yosemite. Macs went from being so much fun and easy to use, to being computers you can only use for 20 minutes at a time because of the eyestrain. All the character was stripped out of both operating systems, and they became flat, lifeless, hard to look at abominations.

iOS 7 opened the floodgates for ugliness to have its moment in the spotlight, and for user experience to take a backseat to profit. Now we have all the ridiculous camera bumps, ugly antenna bands, battery cases, and AirPods we could ever need. "Pfft, headphones jacks?! Screw the user experience, we need to make this boring, ugly phone different enough so people will talk about it and buy it! We need to make people buy our overpriced awful wireless Beats headphones!"

"Oh, what's that? You just want your photos to sync properly over iCloud? You want Apple Music to work without destroying your music library? You want decent battery life and a phone that sits flat on a table?! Pfft, screw the user experience, you'll instead take these childish little cartoons for your messages app instead!"

iOS 7 was the start of all the problems at Apple today.

Reactions: Feyl

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
The release of iOS 7, which was an eyesore in many ways, and still is, was the precise tipping point for Apples quality. Prior to that, we had beautifully designed devices and software. Pre - iOS7 days, people flocked to Apple because of how things just worked. An iPhone was fun to use, Everything was so easy to use and worked pretty much flawlessly. There was a consistent design language. The user-experience was amazing and clearly the focus for most decisions.

Now look at iOS, I still can't believe pop-up menus are still these grey blobs with bright pink or blue text. I still can't believe the dock is supposed to look how it does, especially on an iPad. There are parts of it that I like, such as the use of white in the Messages and Settings apps, but parts of it are just so bad.

Then we got Yosemite. Macs went from being so much fun and easy to use, to being computers you can only use for 20 minutes at a time because of the eyestrain. All the character was stripped out of both operating systems, and they became flat, lifeless, hard to look at abominations.

iOS 7 opened the floodgates for ugliness to have its moment in the spotlight, and for user experience to take a backseat to profit. Now we have all the ridiculous camera bumps, ugly antenna bands, battery cases, and AirPods we could ever need. "Pfft, headphones jacks?! Screw the user experience, we need to make this boring, ugly phone different enough so people will talk about it and buy it! We need to make people buy our overpriced awful wireless Beats headphones!"

"Oh, what's that? You just want your photos to sync properly over iCloud? You want Apple Music to work without destroying your music library? You want decent battery life and a phone that sits flat on a table?! Pfft, screw the user experience, you'll instead take these childish little cartoons for your messages app instead!"

I'd actually be very interested to hear more about your basis for these opinions.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
I don't have any of your problems.

(Except maybe the phone whipping on the table, when the iphone 7 arrives)

Can you honestly look at older iOS versions and think they look better? To me they look so outdated.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
I dont think he is wrong when he says that the main feature of ios 10 is the new message app. And he is clearly right when he says that it looks like it was designed for 12 year old kids.

Everyone who uses the new imessage animations and effects and so on must be a little child. Or a girl. I cant imagine that a real man sits in front of his iphone and sending this stupid imessage stuff designed for little girls. Maybe apple should give the messages app a pink colored theme with little ponys on it.
I think the ability to pay contacts via messages is a lot more adult. Ok some features of the message app will be mostly aimed at younger people, but let's not forget other areas the message app is being improved by iOS 10.

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013

I couldn't agree more. Back in the day I loved to just stare at my iPhone 4 screen because the details on the icons and colorful interface were just unique, beautiful and easy on eyes, I just loved my iPhone. Now we have white everywhere and I don't love my iPhone 6s as I used to love my iPhone 4.

cola79

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
I think you overrate the iMessage thing.

Nobody will buy an iPhone because of iMessage. Simply because with iMessage you lock out yourself from communicating with other people.

iMessage is not available on other operating systems, so it's dead from the start.

Most people I know that have an iPhone never use iMessage just because of that. They would use it, if they could reach all their contacts.

It's apples biggest mistake not to open his products to a real connectivity. You can't use simple things like chromecast in an appropriate way together with imusic for example, or iTunes movies. Same with lots of TV sets.

Do they really believe someone buys extra Apple hardware just for streaming? They cut out billions of customers without need.

And they still behave like someone would care if one is using an iPhone or something else.

In 2016 nobody cares about hardware anymore. It's all about software. And as good as the iOS is, the Apple apps suck because they do not offer universal connectivity.

I highly doubt that this still works. The 7 will show if. In my opinion the sales will decrease, because most people have lots of technology that works with headphone jack connection and usb is a standard that has killed the fantasy about lightning port in every household.

They will lose lots of customers who will go for the cheaper 6s, because it allows easier connection with existing technology.

StonewallBrown

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2013
I think you overrate the iMessage thing.

Nobody will buy an iPhone because of iMessage. Simply because with iMessage you lock out yourself from communicating with other people.

iMessage is not available on other operating systems, so it's dead from the start.

Most people I know that have an iPhone never use iMessage just because of that. They would use it, if they could reach all their contacts.

It's apples biggest mistake not to open his products to a real connectivity. You can't use simple things like chromecast in an appropriate way together with imusic for example, or iTunes movies. Same with lots of TV sets.

Do they really believe someone buys extra Apple hardware just for streaming? They cut out billions of customers without need.

And they still behave like someone would care if one is using an iPhone or something else.

In 2016 nobody cares about hardware anymore. It's all about software. And as good as the iOS is, the Apple apps suck because they do not offer universal connectivity.

I highly doubt that this still works. The 7 will show if. In my opinion the sales will decrease, because most people have lots of technology that works with headphone jack connection and usb is a standard that has killed the fantasy about lightning port in every household.

They will lose lots of customers who will go for the cheaper 6s, because it allows easier connection with existing technology.
I'm not going to comment on most of your post, because it's opinion. Saying messages doesn't work is a fallacy.
It works just fine communicating with non iPhone users. IF it's not working for YOU, it's because you have it set up that way in your settings.

Reactions: Skika

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada

Wrong.

Back when it was King, people, teenagers especially, would by a BlackBerry because of BBM.

And iMessage work cross-platforms. If you are sending to a non-iMessage device, it goes out as a SMS.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
Because kids message each other a lot more than people 20-25+. And the messaging features on IOS 10 are not available on Android so they are likely to choose/stick with iPhones rather than staying with/going over to Galaxy S8.

It's naive to think Apple added these messaging features because grown up people like to put fireworks and cute ponies in messages.

Clearly, you've never used apps like LINE, traveled much in Asia, or done much business with people from that part of the world. The use of stickers in apps like Line is hugely, hugely popular across all age segments in asian cultures, even in business settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.