Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
I would be irritated. I considered passing on the 4S, but it didn't make sense to risk waiting until October 2012 for another disappointing product. If I knew that it would only be an 8 month wait until Apple released what I really wanted, I would have waited for the sixth iPhone.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I dont think they're going to go back to June any more.

The whole schedule got screwed up when the verizon iphone came out at a weird time. they cant release a new phone so soon after verizon people JUST got theirs. So i think its going to stay with october now.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I'd be perfectly fine if they released the iPhone 5 this Xmas. I don't care what other people buy, I only care about what I buy. I'd sell my 4S and get the 5, and be happy as a clam. I don't have any expectations that Apple will modify their hardware deployment schedule to allow me enough time to feel I have gotten my money's worth out of the previous gen model.

In other words, I simply don't feel Apple owes me anything.

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
I agree with this, although I still probably would have upgraded because I was coming from a 3GS.

I wouldn't mind seeing the iPhone get thinner or a larger screen so much, but please Apple, DO NOT MAKE THE PHONE BIGGER. I can't see how some people carry around their enormous phones.

More content can be seen with a bigger screen. That's why.

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
Doesn't matter how angry people are that a newer model comes out relatively soon after the last one. They could release the iphone 5 this Christmas and it'll sell out all over the world. This Apple fever is craaaazy. :)

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
It depends on what the new features are.

If it's marginally better (e.g., everything the same, except a new thinner case), I wouldn't care.

If it's exceptionally better (e.g., entire phone is a large 3d retina display, 1 month talk time, 4G, local Siri that runs perfectly, never loses signal, etc), then I wouldn't mind either and I'd be happy to pay extra to buy one.

If it's somewhere inbetween those 2 extremes then maybe I'd sort-of-want-one but have a hard time justifying the extra cost, but I don't think I'd be livid.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Seems everyone still wants a redesigned iPhone despite the new release of the 4S. How would you react if that happened June 2012?

That's a silly statement. Apple is continually moving forward with their products. Just because someone bought a phone today, doesn't mean apple should not redesign the phone for the next iteration. In fact its pretty much an expectation. So people will be upset if they don't redesign the phone.

Personally, I've not taken the plunge from my iPhone 4 to the 4S primarily because there is not much on the 4S that tempts me.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
More content can be seen with a bigger screen. That's why.

That's not necessarily true, or even likely with the iPhone. It' would require all apps be redesigned to a slightly different resolution. Not going to happen any time soon.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
Seems everyone still wants a redesigned iPhone despite the new release of the 4S. How would you react if that happened June 2012?

Honestly, I really don't care. As long as Apple products remain the best on the market, I have no reason to go elsewhere.

G-hog

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2011
We won't be getting the 5 or what ever it will be called unless I can do it at no cost to me. We just upgraded to the 4s from 3g and we love it so far.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
OP should check the dislikes. There is the numeric answer for you. 5 people and counting would be pissed.

I don't see why people should be. That is how technology works. Look at cars and computers.

But I am getting to the point where numbers are just numbers and when we live in an era where we can be CONTENT with the software and hardware that we can use it for years. I don't see a huge difference anymore. These phones can essentially alot of things for us that we probably won't use even half of their capability. OVERKILL. It ls like the apps. iOS can have 3M apps and Android can have 300K, but would that really matter? Most apps can do the same thing anyway. iOS has better games. As for hardware, it seems like an incremental jump where 1-2 sec differences at opening pages wouldn't matter anymore.

We hear all these specs that makes us WANT these newer phones only to realize most of our NEEDS from a phone has already been fulfilled. It is the same way I feel with video games. We get to a point where the next game is recycled but with a fresh new coat in graphics. Essentially, the gameplay still is the same. It has been six years and the Xbox 360 hasn't been updated yet with its successor.

Only reason why many people get excited with newer phones is alot of us visit these tech sites to have something to look forward to and we live under contract. This isn't like when you buy a new laptop or new car. You can always get a discount if you get a new phone with contract. And if the older phone gets treated like yesterday's newspaper, you can even make a profit from selling it. iPhones pay for itself that it does make sense upgrading every year.

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
I just bought a new Toyota Camry. If Toyota releases a redesigned model next year, I will be livid.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
That's a silly statement. Apple is continually moving forward with their products. Just because someone bought a phone today, doesn't mean apple should not redesign the phone for the next iteration. In fact its pretty much an expectation. So people will be upset if they don't redesign the phone.

Personally, I've not taken the plunge from my iPhone 4 to the 4S primarily because there is not much on the 4S that tempts me.

Well I meant if people were going to be upset with the fact that they released a new model before the mark of a year with the 4S. I just wanted to see if people would be bothered by that.

Some people would be "livid" as they are really that ATTACHED to their phones, sad, I know.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
I would immediately start scheming ways to afford it.

I have that scheme in place already: married an Apple fangirl. ;)

In fact she will probably insist that we upgrade, just like we did from the 4 to 4S.

iPhones hold their resale value very well which helps too!

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
It would be terrific. Why be upset if Apple speeds up their development?? Everyone else updates their phones monthly (seems like it anyway). Saving my money now. And yes I have a 4S....

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
That's technology for you.

I have the 4.
I'm getting the 4S as soon as it's back in stock.
And planning on getting the 5 when it releases.

I used to wait for the "latest and greatest" product. Then realized, that will never happen.

I feel same. I just got the 4S. Getting the 5 when it releases. I am sure it's going to be a total redesign which will be interesting. I used my upgrade for this 4S, when the 5 comes out I am sure I will just sell this and put a couple hundred on top and use an early upgrade.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I'd just buy it full price (like I did the 4S) and give the 4S to my wife. I don't have kids so I can buy whatever I want (and my wife does not mind my tech buying habit, we have a substantial monthly allowance just for that purpose).

My wife has an expensive 4 case so she would probably hate for it to become useless, so she would gladly take the 4S. She isn't a techie anyway, so she doesn't care about having the latest and greatest (she got the 4 in July, coming from her RAZR -- yes, original RAZR).

I got the AppleCare+ so the 4S should be in service in my family for at least 2 years one way or another.

MisterDisney

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Livid that Apple comes out with a new product every year that is an upgrade or complete redesign? How does that work? Maybe people who are new to Apple or new to iPhone would be upset.. But it's just the normal pattern.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.