Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you be switching to Verizon

• Total voters

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
As far as I know you still can't (easily) activate a Sprint CDMA phone on Verizon's CDMA network.

I read somewhere that Verizon will activate "foreign" phones in-store. Next time I go to the US I planned to take my old phone (specs) with me and activate it with Verizon to avoid a large roaming bill but now I'm not sure whether that's actually possible or not. Does anyone know for sure?

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Well this is pretty interesting now T-Mobile's HSPA + is projected to hit 42 Mbps next year and grant those aren't real world speeds. Real world speeds will still put it in competition with LTE speeds.

Possibly.

LTE's theoretical limit is up around 270mbps last time I looked.

But HSPA+ is not a huge upgrade for some existing UMTS carriers so they could beat LTE to market without a huge investment.

I'm sure AT&T was (and still is) torn on the whole choice between HSPA+ and LTE. Do you want to spend a little now to get a good improvement quickly, knowing that eventually LTE will be where all the action is, or do you hold onto your money and just go to LTE now?

It's a tough choice, and I suspect it's been made, un-made and re-made many times in many operators by now.

Same type of issue in VzW, where they had to decide if EVDO Rev B and/or CDMA Advanced 1X was something that would pay off for them, but there the chance to go with a more widespread (and cheaper) technology made the choice easier.

Mike2128

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
I read somewhere that Verizon will activate "foreign" phones in-store. Next time I go to the US I planned to take my old phone with me and activate it with Verizon to avoid a large roaming bill but now I'm not sure whether that's actually possible or not. Does anyone know for sure?

No can do, it has to be an ESN/MEID that falls within a set of approved devices.

RonHC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Hahahah
Didn't Verizon said themselves that they are NOT interested in the iPhone 4

I believe they said this when they announced the "Verizon is the world" campaign which indicated their focus to the Droid Phones all year

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
Well I just switched from a BlackBerry Tour on Verizon to an iPhone 3GS on AT&T. So far the reception between the two has been the same for the most part (AT&T had a few dead spots where Verizon didn't). I'm on a family plan with 2 other iPhone's so I will see how it all works out. The only negative part is my town doesn't have 3G service yet, so I'm stuck using EDGE or Wi-Fi service in the meantime. I'm moving next month to a town that does have 3G so it won't be nearly as bothersome then. I was on Verizon for 5 years with my parents family plan and it has steadily gotten more expensive over the past 3 years. My parent's are fed up with them and thinking of moving to AT&T soon as well.

bri1212

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
Dream on

The contract with AT&T, for better or worse, is five years.
That was announced originally, and nothing has changed.
So don't think this January, but 2012, and maybe not until June 2012.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
Spending close to $500 a month with AT&T for 4 iPhones and was told by the 5th and final rep there is no way they will give me any discount.

So who will be moving to Verizon as soon as they can.

thats strange because even a family plan with unlimited minutes, unlimited data on all 4 iPhones, and unlimited texting for all iPhones is under $400

($119.99 for first 2 lines + 2x $49.99 for 2 additional lines + 4x $30 for unlimited data on all 4 phones + $30 for unlimited family plan texting= $370/month)

so unless all 4 iPhones are also set up for tethering I don't see how your spending close to $500 a month

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...family-cell-phone-plans.jsp?_requestid=235737

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
thats strange because even a family plan with unlimited minutes, unlimited data on all 4 iPhones, and unlimited texting for all iPhones is under $400

($119.99 for first 2 lines + 2x $49.99 for 2 additional lines + 4x $30 for unlimited data on all 4 phones + $30 for unlimited family plan texting= $370/month)

so unless all 4 iPhones are also set up for tethering I don't see how your spending close to $500 a month

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...family-cell-phone-plans.jsp?_requestid=235737

It is possible that the OP has the International and/or US+Canada Plan, which cost more.

Beyond tethering the poster could have added: Roadside Assistance, AT&T Navigator, Early Nights and Weekends, Mobile Share Storage, International Messaging, VoiceDial and Smart Limits for Wireless Parental Controls.

If the poster were to desire a secure business class connection for all of his family members, that would also increase the price.

It's very possible to get $500/month, AT&T has enough features so that you can pay them astronomical amounts if you so choose.

dmbfan41

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
My verizon blackberry is beyond slow. I'd only want it if it was cdma/gsm like my bb.

I doubt they would even bother bringing the iphone to verizon until the next gen network is up and running. i

I'm switching to AT&T for the next couple years. Then hopefully verizon has a better network and the next gen iphone.

I use the internet and messaging features the most. I hardly talk for over 5 minutes on the phone at a time so its not a big deal for me to have a good voice network.

Mike2128

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
My verizon blackberry is beyond slow. I'd only want it if it was cdma/gsm like my bb.

I doubt they would even bother bringing the iphone to verizon until the next gen network is up and running. i

I'm switching to AT&T for the next couple years. Then hopefully verizon has a better network and the next gen iphone.

I use the internet and messaging features the most. I hardly talk for over 5 minutes on the phone at a time so its not a big deal for me to have a good voice network.

I would NEVER judge a network's speed by using Blackberry as a benchmark.

at&t is faster to my eyes, but comparing an Incredible/Droid X with an iPhone is a more fair assessment.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
You’ve got to hand it to the Verizon iPhone wishers, they’ve posted a thread that can last 6 months. Can’t wait to see the new thread title in February 2011. Maybe, “Verizon to get the iPhone on Valentine’s Day!"

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
You left out an option:

(x) Staying with AT&T not 'cuz I love them but because Verizon doesn't work at my house.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
If I believed that Verizon was actually getting the 4, then yeah, I would probably go ahead and switch.

However, we have heard about Verizon getting an iPhone every 6 months for the past 2 years, and if history has taught us anything, it is that Lebron will stay in Cleveland and this is most likely another Verizon rumor.

So does this mean that Verizon will get the iPhone now that Lebron has left Cleveland?

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
I just left verizon for the iphone 4 and i would definitely go back. verizons 3g worked great in my city, but i only get edge with at&t and it's very slow. i love the phone too much to let it go completely, for now..

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
LMAO @this ridiculous thread...Verizon just spit in Apple's face with a full page ad in the NY Times taking the iPhone 4 reception issue to task and some of you actually think the same device will show up on Big Red's network in a few months? LMAO!!! ...I used to think 2012, now I think Verizon will NEVER get iPhone

Check the news lately?

iphonedude123

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
depends on price and data plans. i have a feeling verizon will do away with unlimited for everybody by January.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
You’ve got to hand it to the Verizon iPhone wishers, they’ve posted a thread that can last 6 months. Can’t wait to see the new thread title in February 2011. Maybe, “Verizon to get the iPhone on Valentine’s Day!"

:D Valentine's day?? Nah it will be on Verizon in december of 2012 with a giant unicorn with the red verizon check on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.