Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
The average person doesn't have a copy of Microsoft Office or know anything about Open Office nor do they know to download Adobe Reader, mostly geeks on these forums only know this stuff.
The average person doesn't need to know about it if it's on the computer from the start, hence my comment. But I'm sure that it'll just get shot down as bloatware here.

RiCEADDiCTBOY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
what are most common mac osx errors or even those that might not happen frequently would make a windows user scratch his head on how to fix - and how do you rectify those errors?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
what are most common mac osx errors or even those that might not happen frequently would make a windows user scratch his head on how to fix - and how do you rectify those errors?
Browser plug-in system hard lock with nothing written to the logs.

I'm having some secure page weirdness right now under OS X. I'm booted into 7 right now.

Suspended
Jan 12, 2009
PDF files are useless anyway. And not being able to read PDF file is nowhere near as bad as not being able to handle external displays right.

Are you being serious?

Macs can handle external displays VERY well, don't BS.

I use Windows on my mac, with my external, i have to reconnect it 2-3 times to get it to work, and sometimes it screws up the resolution, sometimes it mirrors my display, and sometimes it just gets rid of the display on my MacBook and uses the external as a primary display!

I have never encountered any of the above issues on OS X, and i don't even think you can calibrate displays properly on Windows, unless there are not any obvious ways to do it.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
My friend recently argued with me about how stupid I was being about selling my Dell XPS for a less featured MacBook. His standing argument was that Apple gets away with murder - and by that he was arguing that they manage to sell hardware that is subpar by todays standards (hd space, cpu and graphic cards) that you could always find considerably cheaper laptops with good builds with much more impressive hardware and features.

The argument over just the OS was starting to haunt me. I knew this before I had decided to return to OSX...but, egh...I guess it would be nice for Apple to deliver offerings that are more common place on the hardware side of things...

You know, A dear friend of mine started a similar argument with me a long long time ago. This was when I purchased my first MacPro. He claimed the hardware included in the system was less impressive then his custom built PC!! Then.. a couple of months ago, he's switch to Mac!! :eek: Dumping his "awesome PC" for something that just works. :confused:

When I asked why? He said he's sick of installing the Windows over and over again, every few months... Now we still argue about Mac issues but it's more a inexperience user thing. I should charge him a pound for every question.

RiCEADDiCTBOY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
Browser plug-in system hard lock with nothing written to the logs.

I'm having some secure page weirdness right now under OS X. I'm booted into 7 right now.

:confused::confused: what is that?

You know, A dear friend of mine started a similar argument with me a long long time ago. This was when I purchased my first MacPro. He claimed the hardware included in the system was less impressive then his custom built PC!! Then.. a couple of months ago, he's switch to Mac!! :eek: Dumping his "awesome PC" for something that just works. :confused:

When I asked why? He said he's sick of installing the Windows over and over again, every few months... Now we still argue about Mac issues but it's more a inexperience user thing. I should charge him a pound for every question.

which mac issues would that be?

Are you being serious?

I use Windows on my mac, with my external, i have to reconnect it 2-3 times to get it to work, and sometimes it screws up the resolution, sometimes it mirrors my display, and sometimes it just gets rid of the display on my MacBook and uses the external as a primary display!

I have never encountered any of the above issues on OS X, and i don't even think you can calibrate displays properly on Windows, unless there are not any obvious ways to do it.

i've never had any issues with windows displaying to an external before...it was pretty obvious when i did it. :confused:

ps. thanks ergdegdeg :p

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
which mac issues would that be?

The same ole issues Windows user have when they first switch to a Mac. Usually million of silly questions of "how to do this?"

I guess the unfamiliar and his old habits doesn't go hand in hand.

Personally I think you can rant continuously about Apple's marketing hype (that's what marketing is about, creating hype!.

I, however is very happy with mine. Does everything I need and I'm able to earn a decent income with it and more importantly, I'm doing it all without being stressed. :):)

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
First of all, Mosx: what was it you said you did for a living? I forgot what you said in the past. Not specific company, just a field or title. I just want to know what professional experience you have with the operating systems you refer to.

For the $1299 the unibody MacBook costs, a PC will get you a larger screen, blu-ray, HDMI, card readers, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, twice the RAM as the $1999 MacBook Pro, 4 times the video memory of the $1,999 MacBook Pro on a faster GPU (9800M GS versus 9600M GT), and loads of other standard features as well as better optional extended warranties that actually cover things like damage and water.

I have no use for an HDMI input when the MDP to HDMI, to DVI, and VGA are far more useful given we have a mix of projectors, LCD's, and regular monitors. 4GB of RAM is what, $45 these days? Wow, I think I can swing that cost. Let me look under my couch cushions.

Card readers are unnecessary for me and a lot of peole when there's this thing called a card reader. I'll give you the point on the warranty though; AppleCare should be included at no cost.

And if it boils down to the OS argument, well OS X loses that as well. OS X is more functionally limited than Windows and the third party software selection is virtually non-existant compared to Windows.

With the exception of one app (VMWare ESX VI3 client) I don't find OS X lacking. So your broad generalization is little more than that.

Theres other areas where Windows has greatly surpassed OS X as well, like the area of drivers. I recently threw the Windows 7 RC on my HP. Both it and Vista detect and install the drivers for my hardware on a fresh install. I click Windows Update and it updates the drivers for ALL of my hardware without a hitch, including my built-in fingerprint reader and card reader.

Here, since we're lofting personal anecdotes over the net: I'm looking at a Thinkpad T61p with an nVidia Quadro that Win7RC auto installs the driver, but it blue screens every once and awhile. nVidia's driver won't install either, because it finds "no suitable device" (even though it's for the same identical card on Windows 7). Hmmm, ain't that odd? No driver for the fingerprint reader either. It's done this on a T400 with an ATI as well, but luckily ATI's driver did install and work just fine.

JMann said:
I'll throw an idea out there. Develop an iPhone app? You can't do that on a PC? But I don't really want to get too involved in this argument that this thread has degraded too. This topic has already been beaten to death. If you like Windows use Windows. If you like OS X use OS X. It is simple, each OS has their advantages/disadvantages. There is no argument to be won here.

Mosx said:
That isn't because Windows technically can't do it. It's because Apple refuses to release the development tools on Windows. But you can't bet as the iPhone OS platform gains popularity and more people want to develop for it, Apple will run into anti-trust issues.

You didn't respond to his other point, which is this argument has gone back and forth ad nauseum and you can't bring yourself to accept that people like what they like, and there are advantages and disadvantages to all platforms.

Mosx said:
Its not trolling when its stating facts.

You still seem to be confusing anecdotal evidence and opinion with facts. Here, let me help you with that again:

Fact
Anecdotal evidence
Opinion

Its funny you say that, because Fox News is actually the number one cable news network when it comes to ratings

And a lot of people watch American Idol, that doesn't mean it's the golden standard for musical talent.

You haven't dealt with Apple's customer support yet.

I have on 3 occasions, and it's been amazing. Arguably one of the times was my fault, yet Apple took care of me anyway, quickly and with a smile. Unlike HP, wants you to take down a server in the middle of the day just to make sure a blown redundant power supply is really dead. :rolleyes:

Why in the world would you buy XP when your system came with Vista? Vista IS better than XP. I've been using it on multiple systems since it was in the public beta phase and all of the negative things said about Vista have been pure FUD and completely untrue.

XP is not as secure as Vista, but it is every bit as stable and definitely faster than Vista on the same hardware.

iLife, aside from iPhoto, is bloatware. The ultimate bloatware. iMovie is only good if you want to upload youtube clips. iDVD has been ignored for several updates now and was never really useful to begin with. Garageband is fine for creating podcasts that nobody will listen to. And iWeb is good if you want to make a MobileMe site that nobody will visit.

Let's once again re-visit the "iLife is useless bloatware" debate.

The very existance of iWeb created sites points to proof that iWeb is not "useless". If some people find it useful, then it's not useless. You may not like the site, you may feel the need to insult the site owners (and you do that quite well), but it most certainly shows iWeb is useful to many people.

GarageBand: again, as evidenced by the forums and sites dedicated to it, it is a useful app for many. I use Logic, but GarageBand is still very capable. No, that crap application by M-Audio you keep posting does not touch GB, and your continual posting of it shows your lack of experience with digital audio workstation apps.

iMovie is useful to many as well. I use it for quick snips of training videos in HD on my laptop, and I also use iDVD as well for these purposes. We also use FCP for more elaborate marketing videos, but for many small tasks, iMovie is fantastic. Ironically enough FCP replaced an Avid system, which while very powerful, was difficult to use for most users and was terribly unstable in our experience.

To get something equivalent to iMovie would require buying Vegas Movie Studio (which I own) or Adobe Premiere Elements. No, the apps included with camcorders aren't as good as iMovie; they're often trialware, seriously lacking in features, have serious usabilty issues, or all 3. Having purchased 2 Sonys and 2 Canon HD units within the last 2 years, I highly disagree that anything included with a camcorder is worth the CD it's burned on.

iPhoto I like, but for me could easily be replaced with Picasa. Still I use it because it works very well, and don't find the need to use Picasa very often.

I have to laugh about the bloatware argument because HP business laptops and workstations always come with tons of useless crap that needs to come off. Luckily I use a pure XP image so that's not an issue for me, but it's still funny to hear the "bloatware" comment. Even Windows itself comes with bloatware; MovieMaker, anyone? Surely if iMovie is bloatware, so is MM2, which is horrible.

Even when in Windows I never touch it. Also, after 3 MacBooks, 2 MacBook Pros, and 2 Mac Pros, none of them came with any trialware such as Office or iWork. Just iLife, which is used often.

Why would I use that over Avid?

Because any Avid less than $50K is unstable and overpriced.

Not as good as Windows.

In your opinion.

Junky fingerprint readers hahaha. I love it how Apple apologists trash features that are available on PCs...... until the feature is on a Mac, then they praise it. Back in the 90s, Apple apologists said pre-emptive multi-tasking was pointless and there was no need. Yet when OS X finally got it, more 6 years after Windows did, those same Apple apologists praised it and acted as if Windows never had it.

Show me a fingerprint reader than works reliably. HP and Lenovo aren't correct answers.

Oh, and I have an aluminum MacBook if you haven't noticed. It is NOT built as well as my plastic HP. Not by a long shot.

That's funny, because I have stacks of broken HP business laptops in the storage room at work that speak otherwise. Plastic junk.

Why not watch a blu-ray movie or try to play a modern game?

I watch Blu Rays all the time......on my big screen HD TV, where you can really see the HD difference. I play L4D all the time on my MBP quite nicely, thank you.

Driver issues? What driver issues? Vista has no driver issues. I've been using it for years on multiple systems, multiple PCs and multiple Macs. None of them have ever had driver issues.

You're in denial again. You've never heard of Vista driver issues? Really? Is Google broken on your computer?

Which is useless.

It's useless? Wow, I must be imagining the Logitech mouse I'm using right now then. Figment 'O my imagination!

A gimmick.

I quite like the multitouch pad.

B
y Apple fans, not by many. iPhoto is the only app that most people will ever use.

Many people use all the iLife apps.

Windows has had thumbnail previews and the ability to see proper previews of files since Windows 98.

OS X's previewing is much, much better. Come on man, I like XP and 7 but it's obvious OS X is ahead there. Stop being an MS apologist about EVERYTHING.

Thank you. Nobody ever does. They'll just say "thats not true" and thats it. I'll say PCs are better value for the money, or you get a much more powerful PC at the same price and I'll get in response is a "thats not true you troll!" and never a proper response.

People refute your comments all the time, but you're either in denial or are incredibly arrogant to think that you're always right.

In conclusion, it's not anyone's job here to continuously spout anecdotal evidence as truth in attempt to sway people into buying PC's. If it works for you, then super. But let's be productive and provide useful information. People do more with their computer than watch movies and play games.

Ansuz

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
Costs half as much as Photoshop and not even 1/4 as capable.

I'm not going to get into the PC/Mac debate here, but I had to comment on this. I am photographer (semi-professional) and I can tell you that these two programs do NOT fulfil the same functionality. Aperture is more of a photo indexing program, allowing you to make minor edits to color/contrast/etc but its primary purpose is keeping large libraries of photos organized in addition to editing meta data and setting up albums for delivery. Photoshop is a program designed for intensive editing of single images and lacks the indexing functionality entirely. This is a complete apples to oranges comparison. I could not do some of the work that I do without BOTH of thse programs - they each fill a different roll in my workflow.

A better comparison would be Aperture to Lightroom, which has similar feature set at a higher pricetag. The very fact that Abobe makes a similar photo indexing program shows that Photoshop is not designed for the types of projects and duties that Aperture and Lightroom are.

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2008
Are you being serious?

Prekesh - you sent me a private message, tried messaging back but you have them disabled...

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
PDF files are useless anyway.

I don't know about your other arguments, but this statement is mind-boggling. The vast majority of documents that I download are either PDF files or MS Word documents, with PDF predominating by far. And when I send documents to others for review, which I do often, PDF is my choice, since the recipients rarely have any problem reading them.

Quad 2.5 G5 =)

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2009
Thats exactly it.

I don't hate Apple. I just point out the shortcomings. I'd like to see Apple do better. I really don't see why, other than profit margins, they can't offer a 15.4 or 16" system at $1,299 with all of the same features a PC would have at that price.

That is absolutely not true.

Vista uses no more memory than Leopard does (I've run both on 1, 2, and 4GB) and Vista actually uses less overall CPU time when doing every day tasks.

Theres countless benchmarks out there that say that Photoshop, etc. all run at least the same on both platforms when equal hardware is used.

Don't forget that OS X doesn't have a 64-bit version of Photoshop either.

See this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/705165/ for the screenshot I took running XP on my MacBook.

I also have an iPhone (original, 4GB), an 80GB 5.5G white iPod, a black 8GB 3G iPod nano, a 2G 1GB iPod shuffle, and a 2G 4GB iPod mini.

Thats subjective. I find Windows to be more logically laid out. It's easier to start software that you don't have pinned to the dock/taskbar, and its easier to navigate where one needs to be. Also, alt-tab takes you directly to the window you want while command-tab in OS X only takes you to the application, you have to use command-~ afterwards to get to the window you want. I also like that control alt delete in Windows brings up an entirely new screen, while command option escape in OS X just brings up a little window. One time I had iTunes lock up on me which also locked up Finder. I did the keyboard combination to bring up the force quit window but it was behind iTunes. I could Expose to see it and click on it but iTunes would grab focus (while being froze) and not let me click on it. Windows doesn't have this problem.

Thats not true. Software generally works the same whether its in OS X or Windows. The only real difference is the unified menu/toolbar in OS X. Installing software is easier in OS X, but uninstalling it is a hassle, considering you have to hunt down endless files and folders all over the HDD.

Same in Windows. IE7/8 (even IE6 in XP SP2) as well as Firefox both prevent software from being installed without the users consent. This whole spyware and virus argument hasn't been valid in years. The only way one can get infected these days is to actively download and instal the malware.

Both Windows and OS X will degrade with time thanks to all of the random files and such left behind. However, as long as you run ccleaner (Windows) and defrag and Onyx (OS X) and hunt down the files in OS X, both OSes will run good as new for years.

Hunting down left behind files as well as running Onyx takes no less time than ccleaner and Disk Defrag in Windows.

Don't get me started on OS X's instability. I've had Tiger and Leopard crash more combined than I've ever had Windows (all versions combined) crash in the nearly 2 decades I've been using Windows.

I've OS X crash doing everything from browsing the web and clicking on screenshots at gamespot.com to clicking Burn in a Burn Folder.

I've also had OS X refuse to shut down after plugging in an optical audio cable. That was in the 10.5.0 and 10.5.1 days.

iPhoto. And?

Not really. What a Mac does it does with more crashing, less choice, and more junk left behind.

You seem to have to defend windows, bash everything that OS X does and make 1/2 a page of microsoft-friendly comments.
If I tried to defend everything Apple and bash every Windows feature, I would either crash Safari on my PowerMac Quad, or crash the MacRumors servers, probably both.

MrZebra

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2008
I don't know about your other arguments, but this statement is mind-boggling. The vast majority of documents that I download are either PDF files or MS Word documents, with PDF predominating by far. And when I send documents to others for review, which I do often, PDF is my choice, since the recipients rarely have any problem reading them.

I agree; I work in pre-print graphic and PDF are not by any means "useless" like mosx said.

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2008
Thats exactly it.

I don't hate Apple. I just point out the shortcomings. I'd like to see Apple do better. I really don't see why, other than profit margins, they can't offer a 15.4 or 16" system at $1,299 with all of the same features a PC would have at that pr.......

boring boring waste of time to read boring boring im a M$ fanboy, wasting time with MASSIVE posts, boring pointless boring

in the 10.5.0 and 10.5.1 days.
iPhoto. And?

Not really. What a Mac does it does with more crashing, less choice, and more junk left behind.

that was such a load of crap. especially the computer freezing less in windows than OS X. the only way a mac would freeze more than your windows machine is if you are emulating windows through parallels/vmware and use your mac more!

please also realise that you are on a Mac/Macintosh/Apple/company-that-sells-mice-that-look-like-bars-of-soap forum.(my dad has the wireless mouse, and dont like it)

there is no way you are going to win that argument in anyones mind. also bear in mind that when people spend what they consider to be a lot of money on something, they are going to defend it to hell and back. whether it be a car, PC, mac, clothing, tv - whatever

i dont see the point of trying to change peoples minds if they are so certain about what they are using. the same applies to mac fans trying to convert PC people. (except of course to get people to stop using IE, it is just awful)

every OS has its ups and downs, and so many people must be getting fed up of these ****** bloody arguments that go on.

DONT COME ON TO MAC FORUM, OR WINDOWS FORUM AND SAY THAT THE MACHINES ARE RUBBISH. people get so frustrated, please.

well thats what i think anyways

RiCEADDiCTBOY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
i heard that macs run hotter than the average notebook and that the hardware lifespan is less than that of average notebooks. i thought the unibody macs had a better heat management than the previous generation? my uncles powerbook was going strong for many years...i'm confused... :confused:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
i heard that macs run hotter than the average notebook and that the hardware lifespan is less than that of average notebooks. i thought the unibody macs had a better heat management than the previous generation? my uncles powerbook was going strong for many years...i'm confused... :confused:
Apple's notebooks are hotter under Intel and the new Aluminium models are even hotter with the tweaks they've done in the thermal profiles.

Silence is important not cooling.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
I know it's useless to argue with you, but please explain how the start menu is easier than this - I'd say it's about the same:

The problem is you have to actually make the stack. It's not like that out of the box in OS X.

I couldn't find anything that could match the MacBook Pro in those characteristics. Windows based laptops at that time were generally 3kg (without power adaptor), 2.5 inches thick

2.5 inches thick 2.5 years ago? I don't think so. PC notebooks have been averaging about 1.5" thick for a few years now.

2.5 hours of battery life

All of the HPs I've had in the last 3 years have gotten 3-3.5 hours of battery life. Which is the same real world battery life as the MacBook and MacBook Pro, seeing as how you have to have the screen set to 50% brightness on the Mac to get it to be usable.

I was also happy with the screen resolution of the MacBook Pro as it was a lot higher than those found on Windows based laptops.

Not in the same price range. 2.5-3 years ago, $1,000 15.4" PCs had 1280x800, but above that they had already moved on to 1680x1050.

Now you'd be hard pressed to find a $1299 15.4" system that doesn't sport 1680x1050. Some cheaper 16" systems sport 1366x768, but thats better than the MacBook Pro because its actually a 16x9 aspect ratio and not 16x10.

Aero defaults to the butt ugly basic theme if a program is incompatible with the Aero interface. I thought interface consistency was at the forefront of Aero? On an unrelated note starting up CardSpace always disables Aero so it ends up using the butt ugly basic theme.

Who uses CardSpace?

Besides, even Vista Basic still looks better than the depressing grey of OS X.

By the way, how much will it cost for someone to buy the "full" version of Windows 7? When I mean "full" I mean the "ultimate" or "extreme" version that will be available.

Only Home Premium and Pro will be available to consumers. Ultimate and the other versions will only be available to specific customers.

An OEM copy of Home Premium should run around $100 the same as it has for XP, Windows 98, Vista, etc.

When you compare hardware you are essentially comparing the least important part of the computer.

I'm sorry but that couldn't be any further from the truth. If hardware is the least important part, then try running iMovie on an old Celeron 566.

Sure it's nice to have a well designed computer with excellent hardware (guaranteed with every Mac)

Thats why it took 2 replacements after 8 trips out for repair for me to finally get a problem free Mac.

But if software was efficiently coded, like it was in the old days, we wouldn't need $500 graphics cards to play games

You don't need $500 GPUs to play games. Those are just high end products for the people who want the best. Cheaper GPUs that cost around $200 can play any game at high settings and will be able to for at least a couple of years to come.

He's claims that OS X is limited compared to Windows don't seem to have a backing, he just says it, and acts as though it is true.

I have yet to see anyone prove that OS X does as much as Windows does.

If you're looking at the whole package, I'd be hard pressed to find a laptop I like more then the MacBook family(thats for me, if anyone would rather a windows laptop, go for it!)

When you look at the whole package, you'll see that Macs fall even farther behind PCs. Not only do they tend to cost twice as much as equally spec'ed PCs, but you'll see that you're getting a far more limited system in terms of specs and connectivity. A $1299 PC will have twice the RAM of a $1999 MacBook Pro, will have the same CPU, twice the HDD space, blu-ray, HDMI, card readers, VGA, eSATA, higher screen resolution, etc. etc. Then you look at the software and you'll see that OS X doesn't have nearly the same amount of third party software available, or even the quality of 3rd party software, and the pack-in software is mostly software you won't use.

If you hadn't noticed, HP just had a recall on batteries that caused fires? I suppose I should say that they have a lacking customer support, then?

70,000 batteries compared to the millions that were recalled by Apple a few years back ;)

And Apple's customer support, again, is no better than the rest. I've never had any company other than Apple have an "executive" customer relations person call me up and accuse me of trying to scam the company out of a refund when all I wanted was my system repaired and I had made that very clear in my emails, phone calls, and voice mails.

I don't watch Blu-Ray because I don't believe it's nearing the new standard. The way technology is today, I won't need to.

Well, thats where you're wrong. If you compare blu-ray at this current point in its life to DVD at the same point in its life, you'll see that blu-ray adoption is happening at TWICE the rate of DVD. At the same point in its life, DVD had 4% marketshare. Blu-ray currently has 8%. So it will become the mainstream standard faster than DVD did. It took DVD 6 years to have 51% marketshare. We should see blu-ray reach that goal at least a bit faster than that.

And what do you mean you won't need to? Downloaded movies from iTunes and Amazon and Netflix can't even begin to compare to blu-ray quality. You're comparing half the resolution with sometimes as little as 1/10th the bitrate as well as overly compressed audio (compared to lossless and uncompressed on blu-ray).. theres just no comparison, blu-ray is light years ahead of downloadable movies. Plus you have to take into consideration the fact that the average broadband connection worldwide (even in the US) isn't even capable of streaming one of those so-called high definition films in real time.

When Blu-Ray prices drop alongside their players, that's when I'll start worrying that my Mac is unable to play the discs. Which, I'm assuming they will.

Well, blu-ray costs no more now than DVD did at the same point in its life. The players now cost the same as DVD players did in 1999 and 2000, and blu-ray discs cost the same as DVDs did then. I remember buying plenty of DVDs for $20 and $25 the same way the average blu-ray disc is $20 now.

And I don't know if Apple will be able to support blu-ray in OS X, unless they finally get with the times and finally enable full bitstream decoding on the GPU.

I have had tons of software incompatibles under my switch to Vista, as a pre-bought machine.

I've had none. And I'm playing 10 year old games like the original Unreal!

Even my original first pressed Half-Life CD works fine.

HP's own webcam didn't work until I went to the HP website and downloaded them (mind you, the control panel didn't automatically download it, nor manually). Don't you know where all this Vista crap is stemming from?

HP has been using the same webcam module for about 3 years now. I've had it on several different systems as well as XP and Vista. I have NEVER had it not work.

There have already been benchmarks showing that XP had/has considerable more FPS when running games in comparison to Vista. I did not like the operating system regardless of the media. Sorry.

Those are two year old benchmarks from when Vista was first released. Check out the benchmarks from 6 months after launch, as well as SP1 release. You'll see Vista is equal to XP in gaming performance.

HDMI has just become the standard. I have no idea how you can say that it's everywhere.

HDMI has just become the standard? No. PC GPUs started shipping with HDMI way back in 2003. Those desktop GPUs couldn't pass audio, but they did support the video standard. In 2006 desktop GPUs started passing audio as well. In 2006 after HD DVD and blu-ray launched, PC notebooks started shipping with HDMI that could pass audio, with HDMI becoming standard fare in 2007. LCD monitors started having HDMI inputs around 2005. Apple is pretty much the only company NOT supporting HDMI at the moment.

Adapters are more than plastic and signal conversion and obviously take more than $1 to make. You need to map the pins and upload firmware. Then worry about the signal conversion.

Okay, so Apple pockets $27 of every $30 adapter they sell ;) The point is that they don't support standards. Why? Profit. It's better for Apple to sell and make a $27 profit off an adapter than pay the 3 cent licensing fee to include HDMI in their systems.

Ok? So you're arguing about which standard is better? Obviously HDMI wins because it's been around longer and has more adaptations. Why is this relevant?

Because of the fact that HDMI has been standard on other systems for years now, while Apple refuses to support standards in the name of profits.

HP Wireless Service (which does nothing Windows can't do) takes up 1GB itself. Then you have the HP tools to make sure you PC is running fine (which does nothing apart from telling you when you need to update your warranty and to calibrate the battery) take up anther few GB.

Wrong and wrong. Both services only take up a few hundred megabytes. Both can be uninstalled easily.

I'm unsure why, knowing these downsides, you bought a Mac in the first place.

Because I didn't know the downsides when I first bought it. You see, Apple and the Apple Apologists don't tell you the real story about owning a Mac or the hardware limitations. All you hear about is how great it is. It isn't until after you buy it and use it in your own home do you realize that you didn't get as much as you could have hardware wise and the software is incredibly limited and unstable.

Honestly, I take solace in the fact that I am not speaking to men in India whom I cannot understand and they cannot understand given my accent.

No, you'll just talk to someone in the United States with a very thick Spanish accent that is just as difficult to understand.

I have been hung up numerous times by Dell's "customer support" and one fellow went as far as saying "you are wasting my time."

Just like when Ken Bell called me and told me I was trying to scam Apple out of a refund when I had told him in numerous voice mails and emails that all I wanted was a repair.

I should not have had to go that for for three defective machines that were rendered useless, not a minor issue.

The same way I had to end up on my third Mac before finally getting one without problems? ;)

Thats after getting yelled at by "Executive Customer Support" mind you.

I use multiple external displays on my Mac. In Windows, it remembers each display and how each one is configured and defaults to that configuration each time. In OS X I have to start the system up and close it extremely fast for it to only use the external display, or I have to wait for it to finish booting and then close it and then wake it back up.

Windows is properly calibrated by default. But nvidia and ATI provide very in-depth tools with their drivers to calibrate the display if you do want to tweak it. More in-depth than the calibration tool in OS X.

I have no use for an HDMI input when the MDP to HDMI, to DVI, and VGA are far more useful given we have a mix of projectors, LCD's, and regular monitors. 4GB of RAM is what, $45 these days? Wow, I think I can swing that cost. Let me look under my couch cushions.

Let's see here. Windows notebook PCs ship with HDMI and VGA. HDMI can be converted to DVI with a $2 adapter. So on a Mac, you need a $15 adapter (MDP to HDMI), and then another $30 adapter (MDP to DVI) and yet another $30 adapter (MDP to VGA) to get all of the same connectivity included with a PC. Yeah that makes sense. Oh, and every respectable display made in the last 3 or so years has included HDMI.

Card readers are unnecessary for me and a lot of peole when there's this thing called a card reader.

USB card readers are slower than built-in card readers. Plus they eat up the already extremely limited number of USB ports on a Mac.

Here, since we're lofting personal anecdotes over the net: I'm looking at a Thinkpad T61p with an nVidia Quadro that Win7RC auto installs the driver, but it blue screens every once and awhile. nVidia's driver won't install either, because it finds "no suitable device" (even though it's for the same identical card on Windows 7). Hmmm, ain't that odd?

Then theres something else wrong with your system. Nvidia offers mobile Quadro drivers on their website for Windows 7 and they DO work.

No driver for the fingerprint reader either.

Nearly all built-in fingerprint readers on notebook PCs are made and sold by AuthenTec. Thats what I've had in every HP, and thats the one I have now that works fine under Windows 7. So you're either being dishonest or you have a different manufacturer.

And a lot of people watch American Idol, that doesn't mean it's the golden standard for musical talent.

Theres a big difference between an entertainment TV show and reporting news.

Unlike HP, wants you to take down a server in the middle of the day just to make sure a blown redundant power supply is really dead.

Just like Apple's executive support calling you and yelling at you ;)

XP is not as secure as Vista, but it is every bit as stable and definitely faster than Vista on the same hardware.

Thats funny because every benchmark from the last year and a half has proven otherwise.

The very existance of iWeb created sites points to proof that iWeb is not "useless". If some people find it useful, then it's not useless. You may not like the site, you may feel the need to insult the site owners (and you do that quite well), but it most certainly shows iWeb is useful to many people.

iWeb is nothing more than a paid version of free tools that are available for Windows. It's nothing special and every site looks the same.

GarageBand: again, as evidenced by the forums and sites dedicated to it, it is a useful app for many. I use Logic, but GarageBand is still very capable. No, that crap application by M-Audio you keep posting does not touch GB, and your continual posting of it shows your lack of experience with digital audio workstation apps.

Good job making me laugh ;) I'll take the opinion of actual contracted recording artists that say that M-Audio's app is better than Garageband by a long shot.

To get something equivalent to iMovie would require buying Vegas Movie Studio (which I own) or Adobe Premiere Elements. No, the apps included with camcorders aren't as good as iMovie; they're often trialware, seriously lacking in features, have serious usabilty issues, or all 3. Having purchased 2 Sonys and 2 Canon HD units within the last 2 years, I highly disagree that anything included with a camcorder is worth the CD it's burned on.

We've gone over this before. I've already proven that the apps included with digital video cameras are FULL versions. And, again, that $50 TV tuner I bought 5 years ago came with full version video and DVD editing software that is still more advanced than iMovie or iDVD.

Even when in Windows I never touch it. Also, after 3 MacBooks, 2 MacBook Pros, and 2 Mac Pros, none of them came with any trialware such as Office or iWork. Just iLife, which is used often.

Two of my Macs did ship with Office and iWork trials. They also shipped with some nonsense board game trialware.

Show me a fingerprint reader than works reliably. HP and Lenovo aren't correct answers.

Mine have always worked every single time. Works perfect on the first swipe.

I watch Blu Rays all the time......on my big screen HD TV, where you can really see the HD difference. I play L4D all the time on my MBP quite nicely, thank you.

The increase in quality blu-ray offers can be seen on any non-SD display. That is a fact. Blu-ray downsampled to the roughly 1 million pixel display of the MacBook will look better than DVD's 345,600 pixel display that is upscaled by over 2 times.

You're in denial again. You've never heard of Vista driver issues? Really? Is Google broken on your computer?

Vista hasn't had any driver issues since about 1 month after release. The "Vista driver issue" is even more overblown than Apple claiming its easy for someone to get a virus.

It's useless? Wow, I must be imagining the Logitech mouse I'm using right now then. Figment 'O my imagination!

I have the Bluetooth Logitech MX Revolution, as well as the MX5500 keyboard. If I use OS X's built-in bluetooth I lose the connection all the time and it's impossible for me to wake the system up without opening the lid and causing the multiple displays to get messed up.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
OS X's previewing is much, much better. Come on man, I like XP and 7 but it's obvious OS X is ahead there. Stop being an MS apologist about EVERYTHING.

Not really. Look at the "Preview" app in OS X. If I want to preview a picture I double click the picture. But guess what? In OS X I can only look at that one picture. In Windows I can look at EVERY picture from just that one. I can hit left and right and go through the entire folder. In OS X I'd have to click on each individual one to preview it.

Plus Leopard was the first version of Mac OS to finally have proper thumbnail previews. Something Windows had for nearly 10 years before Mac OS finally got it.

People refute your comments all the time, but you're either in denial or are incredibly arrogant to think that you're always right.

I've yet to see anyone provide a real argument against me. Especially you.

Aperture is more of a photo indexing program, allowing you to make minor edits to color/contrast/etc but its primary purpose is keeping large libraries of photos organized in addition to editing meta data and setting up albums for delivery.

Which is why I said it costs half as much as Photoshop and isn't even 1/4 as capable. Why should I spend so much money on an app that does no more than what other free apps do?

the only way a mac would freeze more than your windows machine is if you are emulating windows through parallels/vmware and use your mac more!

Nope. First of all, VMWare and Parallels are not emulation. They're virtualization. It's basically a computer within the computer. It is not emulation.

Second, I've had OS X crash on everything from clicking on links in Safari to emptying the trash of pictures to trying to burn discs.

Windows, on the other hand, has always been 100% rock solid on all of my Macs.

i heard that macs run hotter than the average notebook and that the hardware lifespan is less than that of average notebooks. i thought the unibody macs had a better heat management than the previous generation? my uncles powerbook was going strong for many years...i'm confused...

Macs do run hotter than PCs. My unibody MacBook averages about 30-40F hotter than my HP. I have a Targus cooling pad that moves 36CFM of air. Even with that on full, my Mac's CPU (2GHz Core 2 Duo Penryn) idles at about 130F. My HP's 2GHz Core 2 Duo Merom (a hotter running model) idles at 91F. Without the cooling pad the Mac idles at about 140F while the HP idles at about 105F. Under full load the difference is even bigger. The Mac CPU can get up to around 180F while the HP stays around 130 under full load. The GPUs run around the same as the CPUs.

The case temperatures are different too. I don't know what my HP case temp is, but it never gets warm to the touch. While the MacBook can easily get up to 104-105 and is extremely warm to the touch, sometimes even hot to the touch.

Oh and thanks for being one of the few sensible people in this thread ;)

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Not really. Look at the "Preview" app in OS X. If I want to preview a picture I double click the picture. But guess what? In OS X I can only look at that one picture. In Windows I can look at EVERY picture from just that one. I can hit left and right and go through the entire folder. In OS X I'd have to click on each individual one to preview it.

Ha ha, WRONG. Go right in the pictures folder in Leopard and you can view every picture in Icon View all at once and you can zoom the sizes. Wanna browse through larger size photos? Set it in Cover Flow view and thumb through all you want. Want to view large size photos individually? Select any one pic and hit the space bar and Quicklook will zoom the picture to full size. All these ways of viewing pictures have nothing to do with Preview or iPhoto.
Get you're facts straight, Windows can't do this. :p

RiCEADDiCTBOY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
mosx - just out of curiosity what are the things that apple osx does well that microsoft os can't? or...even in general?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.