Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Was the Mail app ever working good for you all? I don’t think that iOS 12 would make that better

For me, it worked perfectly in 12.4 and 12.4.1. I do remember that there were a few point releases in which notifications got wonky, but those were fixed rapidly, and the last few versions (probably including 12.3.x, though I can't really remember with certainty) were perfect for me.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Tons of threads on this.

Yes, and lots of threads lots of other core native apps that have been completely f****d up in 13. It takes less than 10 seconds to scan the topic lines of the first page of the iOS 13 forum to see how badly and how broadly 13 has been f****d with by Apple. Not just Mail, but Notes and Safari and others. It's hardly even worth replying to questions asking "what problem are you having?" at this point. Just look around for a moment and see.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Yes, and lots of threads lots of other core native apps that have been completely f****d up in 13. It takes less than 10 seconds to scan the topic lines of the first page of the iOS 13 forum to see how badly and how broadly 13 has been f****d with by Apple. Not just Mail, but Notes and Safari and others. It's hardly even worth replying to questions asking "what problem are you having?" at this point. Just look around for a moment and see.

Yeah... The entirety of this release has demonstrated just how bad Apple's software has become. There was actually a time when a major update had a few bugs here and there and were fixed in the first update a couple weeks later (e.g. 13.0.0 > 13.1.0). Yet Apple's done a bunch of rapid releases and it's still a mess. They keep focusing on introducing new features (Deep Fusion) without even bothering to fix the basics. Now they've started bricking devices. It's bad enough the HomePod is an over-priced speaker (you know, since Siri sucks), but now Apple's made some of them paperweights.

And before people start telling me, "You can't add new features without modifying the existing code." Yeah, I get it; I've done software development for a good portion of my life. The problem is you don't release something this broken. I pity the programmers working on this, it must kill them to know the software is so broken but then be told by an executive to push it to production anyway.

I'm sticking with iOS 12 on my devices.

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I'm sticking with iOS 12 on my devices.

Tomorrow my 11PM goes in its box after I get my new/old XS Max, just like the one I traded to Apple. Happily, I archived an encrypted backup half an hour before I handed the phone to Apple, so I have a good 12.4.1 backup to restore. I'll have my old phone back again. G-d it's hard not being able to trust a phone with your work emails. (It is failing to download corporate emails again today.)

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Tons of threads on this. It does not work with exchange. Does not notify when new mail comes in. Does not forward attachments or entire threads. Will show e-mail is sent twice. After reading and deleting it still shows in inbox. All in iOS 13
My point is that making a generic statement of it doesn't work is rather pointless. Getting into specifics is really important to hone down where the problem is. Realistically this isn't a hugely widespread problem where it doesn't work for everyone if it was then there would be global media attention and a huge outcry.

I for example down recognise what you are highlighting, and I use IMAP, Office365, GMail etc. Only thing I don't do is switch on email notifications. I am not saying it isn't happening for some of you, just highlighting that it is really important to highlight specifics.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Any gmail account appears to be broken on ios13. My outlook app which uses an edu email, stopped updating at 12:30 pm yesterday. Nothing I’ve done fixes it. Just mail. I can see calendars syncing when I remove/add the account back but mail, never changes.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Any gmail account appears to be broken on ios13. My outlook app which uses an edu email, stopped updating at 12:30 pm yesterday. Nothing I’ve done fixes it. Just mail. I can see calendars syncing when I remove/add the account back but mail, never changes.
I’m confused. Any gmail account broken, but you use the outlook app. And this is related to the mail app how?

First think I would check is whether the gmail works in the gmail app. Whether multi factor is enabled on the account and properly integrated. But ultimately if you want to access your gmail through your outlook app then surely the problem is with the outlook app not nessesarily with iOS 13.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018

FYI the outlook app is having an issue with Gmail connections they are looking to it. I confirmed it with their support

My point is that making a generic statement of it doesn't work is rather pointless. Getting into specifics is really important to hone down where the problem is. Realistically this isn't a hugely widespread problem where it doesn't work for everyone if it was then there would be global media attention and a huge outcry.

I for example down recognise what you are highlighting, and I use IMAP, Office365, GMail etc. Only thing I don't do is switch on email notifications. I am not saying it isn't happening for some of you, just highlighting that it is really important to highlight specifics.

It's kicking a dead horse. Does it matter if A, B or C is exactly broken rather than generalizing? No one here can fix A, B or C, only Apple can regardless of how exact scenario you want to get. Unless people are reporting it to Apple, it is simply useless banter. There is no user remedy for any of these issues to work out or share.

It is all reported to Apple per what I am seeing in the Feeback app in betas. I've reported all these discussed issues in detail and they show many many other users reporting the same. They know and are doing nothing about it as the feedback is all still "open"

There is nothing more anyone can do no matter how in depth you discuss it until Apple decides to start tackling the issues and fixing bugs.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
FYI the outlook app is having an issue with Gmail connections they are looking to it. I confirmed it with their support

It's kicking a dead horse. Does it matter if A, B or C is exactly broken rather than generalizing? No one here can fix A, B or C, only Apple can regardless of how exact scenario you want to get. Unless people are reporting it to Apple, it is simply useless banter. There is no user remedy for any of these issues to work out or share.

It is all reported to Apple per what I am seeing in the Feeback app in betas. I've reported all these discussed issues in detail and they show many many other users reporting the same. They know and are doing nothing about it as the feedback is all still "open"

There is nothing more anyone can do no matter how in depth you discuss it until Apple decides to start tackling the issues and fixing bugs.
Well you say that, but as per your reply and mine as well the poster above highlighted an issue that isn’t to do with the mail app being broken ;) hence a little bit of detail to separate actual issues is useful.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

Unless you're proposing to troubleshoot these problems personally, or unless Apple miraculously starts visiting MR, the specifics may be interesting but they're not going to prove much, if anything. I think the most that could be hoped for is that someone in a position to do something about this takes note of the volume and breadth of problems.

Yes, that's the point.

As a note on where we are with 13, iOS 12.2 was released on March 25, 2019. In other words, it took Apple six months to get to the point release that they have reached in six weeks with iOS 13.
[automerge]1572540339[/automerge]
Another point about trying to be specific with the bugs in Mail. At least in my case, it simply isn't possible because Mail is so incredibly inconsistent. For example, right at the moment this morning, it is actually behaving exactly as expected. But yesterday, it wasn't delivering notifications and it also failed to download an email at all, didn't even download the header. I had to log onto a remote session on a laptop to read the email. I can't imagine how such random behavior can be explained or trouble-shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: thewhitehart

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Nobody in position will go read through these forums. But fair enough, if people just want to express their dissatisfaction and help to point in the right direction or resolve then so be it. I'll stop trying to be helpful ;)

Intermittent behaviour like that is often linked to the actual mail server and network connectivity.

Schmactor

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2014
Just want to add my name to the list. ios 13 Mail is truly a disaster. Here are just a few of my issues:

1) Multiple refreshes needed to have mail appear even after receiving a new mail notification.
2) Needing to delete the same email several times for it to disappear.
2a) When going through new emails and I hit "delete", the same email appears again and I need to delete it again. If I'm going through all my new emails one by one and am deleting most of them as I go I need to delete each one of them twice or more.
3) Mail showing up in "unread" folder but not in the actual folder.
4) Unread folder showing a number of messages in the folder list, but no actual messages in the folder.
5) Many many other bugs, glitches, and annoyances that were not present in previous ios. Hopefully they are fixing this all for the next update.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008

Thanks. I couldn’t understand what the issue was and tried it all. Figured I would just leave it alone. Started working late this afternoon.
[automerge]1572554665[/automerge]
I’m confused. Any gmail account broken, but you use the outlook app. And this is related to the mail app how?

First think I would check is whether the gmail works in the gmail app. Whether multi factor is enabled on the account and properly integrated. But ultimately if you want to access your gmail through your outlook app then surely the problem is with the outlook app not nessesarily with iOS 13.

It’s not just the native mail app having issues. 3rd party apps are having issues with Gmail since iOS 13. I see it every single day. Please don’t say it’s just the native app. The ONLY app that doesn’t have Gmail issues, is the Gmail App. Of which, will not be installed on my device.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Intermittent behaviour like that is often linked to the actual mail server and network connectivity.

Except that it never, not ever, happened with iOS 12 (or earlier versions as far as I can recall). At some level this feels like it's actually become impossible to troubleshoot. The failures are inconsistent in terms of type and frequency. A completely virgin installation fails to solve the problem. Where does this leave us?

dwr130

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2019
Just want to add my name to the list. ios 13 Mail is truly a disaster. Here are just a few of my issues:

1) Multiple refreshes needed to have mail appear even after receiving a new mail notification.
2) Needing to delete the same email several times for it to disappear.
2a) When going through new emails and I hit "delete", the same email appears again and I need to delete it again. If I'm going through all my new emails one by one and am deleting most of them as I go I need to delete each one of them twice or more.
3) Mail showing up in "unread" folder but not in the actual folder.
4) Unread folder showing a number of messages in the folder list, but no actual messages in the folder.
5) Many many other bugs, glitches, and annoyances that were not present in previous ios. Hopefully they are fixing this all for the next update.
Experiencing all of these....especially 1, 2, and 2a!

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
Tons of threads on this. It does not work with exchange. Does not notify when new mail comes in. Does not forward attachments or entire threads. Will show e-mail is sent twice. After reading and deleting it still shows in inbox. All in iOS 13
I thought I was the only one who was seeing an email appear twice in Sent messages. I can’t believe that by 13.2 this still has not been fixed.

Domadia_Jasmine

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2017
I’m not a expert but email is my business necessity, struggling to fix email issues in native mail app, I’m sure issues is something related to security, I tried this with my work email ( configured without SSL ) & issues with my work email is 100% resolved,

I am unable to do without SSL for the Gmail, Gmail is not allowing to switch without SSL,

Please advise if possible,

Thanks

Garage Battle

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
Orlando, FL
logging in just to post that ive been having multiple issues with IOS13 mail app.

emails not reliably arriving.

push notifications not coming through.

VIP emails ending up in junkmail.

not cool apple. fix this ****.

seaquestamd

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2007
Wollongong, Australia
iPhone 11 Pro Max with two Exchange accounts and having alot of issues, same as being reported, notification sound saying email is available but have to refresh multiple times or filter by unread before I can access the email. This is on iOS 13.2

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I suppose this is borderline funny, or maybe tragicomical. My 11 Pro Max, currently on 13.2, has had every manner of problem with Mail (and several other of the native apps, but Mail is a mission-critical task for this phone). It got so bad that I bought a used XS Max that still had 12.4.1 installed.

Possibly proving how incredibly inconsistent 13.x has been for me and many others, the 11 Pro Max is now downloading and alerting on Exchange emails exactly like the XS Max on 12.4.1 does. I don't know whether it got smarter from sitting next to the XS Max, or got scared that it was going to be sold, or what. ;) I'll be watching the two of them for a while. Nutty. What gives with 13? :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.