Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
You already have had the spinner appear on the home screen in iOS 7.1.1 for no reason and it wouldn't go away even after some time except when you reset the phone?

Sadly yes :-(
It happened whilst browsing on Safari. I noticed that the wheel was spinning even after the webpage had fully loaded. I came out of the app and the wheel was still spinning on my home screen. After dinner it was still spinning, so I did a hard reset and it went away.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
I agree, me too.
I still can't get McDonalds to remember to give me that little bag of finely chopped peanuts every time I order a sundae.

odd. i say no nuts and every single time they still include a small bag of chopped peanuts.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sadly yes :-(
It happened whilst browsing on Safari. I noticed that the wheel was spinning even after the webpage had fully loaded. I came out of the app and the wheel was still spinning on my home screen. After dinner it was still spinning, so I did a hard reset and it went away.
I don't know, it seems like there's something going on with your phone somewhere somehow. It almost seems like an actual phone replacement would be the most likely thing that would resolve these types of things, unless there's something weird and corrupted/stuck in relating to your iCloud/Apple ID account.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I don't know, it seems like there's something going on with your phone somewhere somehow. It almost seems like an actual phone replacement would be the most likely thing that would resolve these types of things, unless there's something weird and corrupted/stuck in relating to your iCloud/Apple ID account.

I did a clean install via iTunes and set up as a new phone again, thinking 'come on, this time all will be well'...
So I don't see where the corrupion can have come from. It is infuriating though!
If you reboot your phone, does the notification centre open on the 'today' tab? Mine is always the missed tab. That's a strange bug to put down to a hardware fault don't you think?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I did a clean install via iTunes and set up as a new phone again, thinking 'come on, this time all will be well'...
So I don't see where the corrupion can have come from. It is infuriating though!
If you reboot your phone, does the notification centre open on the 'today' tab? Mine is always the missed tab. That's a strange bug to put down to a hardware fault don't you think?
My phone seems to go to the Today tab after turning it off and then on. Perhaps yours thinks there's something in the Missed tab (perhaps not really visible and just stuck somehow) and/or nothing in Today tab? Hard to say. Although I would say that is the least of any actual issues.

Have you tried it with another Apple ID/iCloud account after restoring as new? Just perhaps another new one that you create just to see if it might behave any differently, given that nothing else seems to help?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
My phone seems to go to the Today tab after turning it off and then on. Perhaps yours thinks there's something in the Missed tab (perhaps not really visible and just stuck somehow) and/or nothing in Today tab? Hard to say. Although I would say that is the least of any actual issues.

Have you tried it with another Apple ID/iCloud account after restoring as new? Just perhaps another new one that you create just to see if it might behave any differently, given that nothing else seems to help?

No, I haven't tried that. I'm close to giving up, relaxing, and waiting for the iPhone 6 to be honest...
Life is too short to get so stressed and obsessive over mobile phone imperfections :)

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
I don't see anything wrong in video.

With reduced motion on, there is no animation when swiping up to open the multitasking switcher. There is also no animation when jumping from app to app from the switcher.

The fade animation is missing in both instances.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
7.1.1 bricked my iPhone 5s. Stuck in recovery mode. Can't restore and update as it brings me to "The iPhone __ could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (17)." Great. Genius bar appointment made.

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
7.1.1 bricked my iPhone 5s. Stuck in recovery mode. Can't restore and update as it brings me to "The iPhone __ could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (17)." Great. Genius bar appointment made.

I had a similar problem on my 4S. Had to restore using iTunes and it didn't work right away. Annoying.

----------

Another bug. I noticed that on my 4S each software update causes Find My iPhone to be turned off. This doesn't happen when I update my iPad Air. I recommend everyone who reads this to quickly check to see if its been disabled. You might be surprised.

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
I use reduced motion, the transitions are definitely different with bringing up multitasking and moving from an app to the home screen.

Edit: Here's a video showing transitions with reduced motions on that I just did. This is on 7.0.6 on an iPad Mini 1st Gen. I did the transitions slowly a few times to show the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bhwO6JoGDs

I see the difference but don't see anything ugly about like the first poster said.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
This 18.8 MB update on my iPhone 5 requires Wi-Fi? WTF? You can download app updates far bigger than that over mobile data. I've just moved home and have a few days without home internet. 3G has been fine for everything else. Annoying. Hmm... my favourite place to borrow Wi-Fi is the Apple Store; I'll be making a trip tomorrow ;)

it used to be 50mb over cellular but they changed it to 100mb recently. I can't believe they won't let us download 18mb for an update, that sucks.

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
This update has broken "Recently Added" playlist in iTunes Match (in the iOS 7 betas it was "Recently Played" affected though several of the betas). It now says no contact. Same for anyone else?

Live updating smart playlists have never worked right in any of the iOS betas or updates since for me. Priorities are elsewhere I'd say.

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
I have quite a few album art like (wouldn't want to crop art) so this is something I see quite often. Hopefully Apple fixes this soon.

Every music file on my phone has album art that looked fine before, even if you cropped any i still think you would end up with the white bars. I tend to get them on the sides of my art.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

CutterSlade

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Useless because they didn't fix app switcher animations, which are useless anyway?

The Touch ID speed is worth the update.

Most devices don't even have touch ID. Submitting an update just to fix 3-4 issues is useless. If you'd been experiencing the bug I mentioned, you'd be suprised to see how useful that animations are. It takes at least 4-5 seconds for me to switch to another app because of the freeze there. A total productivity killer. Also don't forget that they introduced that bug in 7.1, and therefore should have fixed it immediately.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.