Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Same here, Air 1, and only 16Gb to boot!

I 'was' looking to replace my aging 2008 MBP with a new one, however, while waiting so long for the new model to come out Ive only been using my cheap, Refirb iPad and have come to realize I don't need to spend thousands of dollars to do my computing, thank God (I wonder how many others have come to the same conclusion because of the long delay). A bigger, faster iPad with allot more storage and much better screen will be very welcomed!

So ya, count me in for a 12.9 iPP v2 come this Spring.

But you fall outside the target group of the OP's question.

I'm like you...will buy the pro 12.9 v2, but not v1. Hopefully, there will be tangible benefits...a TT display is not meaningful to me though.
[doublepost=1476220716][/doublepost]
Did I say I was going to sue them? Nope. It just smells like a class action lawsuit to me in the making.

Why should I sell my product? Apple shouldn't cripple your device if their OS is too powerful for it. Consumers pay a lot of money for Apple Products and they deserve to show that respect to people by not making their devices stutter and lag.

As for your update, I have no idea what you did. My iPad Air constantly demanded to be updated and it had to be told multiple times a day that I didn't want to do it. It was 3 screens you had to go through to tell it no.

There are not "new iPads" always around the corner. These devices are not updated very much anymore because they aren't selling. They have long shelf lives unless Apple does something like cripple the devices via Software Updates that you can't turn off. The used iPad market is not like the phone market. You cannot sell your device for anywhere close what it costs to buy the next one. That ship sailed back when the iPad with Retina came out.
[doublepost=1476157104][/doublepost]
Mistakes happen but for something this big to happen is more than a mistake. For a device that costs 600+ dollars, that type of mistake is seen as unethical business practices.

Sorry...but you CHOSE to accept the update. I'll admit, Apple could make it less insistent, but hey...

My ipad2 is still on ios7...never upgraded beyond that point. Next time, use some restraint (when deciding to upgrade the iOS).

iPadDad

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2014
If I had the iPad Pro 12.9 current version, I wouldn't upgrade, but I don't so I really need them to release a version 2 soon in order for me to upgrade.

Hopefully;

- True tone
- 2 x More CPU performance

That's all I need
[doublepost=1476256107][/doublepost]
What do you do with. That device is only coming up on 3 years old. It's shouldn't be unbearable already. :(

You should welcome it, software is becoming so much more advanced and powerful and apps can do so much more, you must be happy for the advancement

Reactions: Math889

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
If I had the iPad Pro 12.9 current version, I wouldn't upgrade, but I don't so I really need them to release a version 2 soon in order for me to upgrade.

Hopefully;

- True tone

That's all I need

You should welcome it, software is becoming so much more advanced and powerful and apps can do so much more, you must be happy for the advancement
I do Apple is basically the only chip maker continually churning out chips with 2x performance, the A10X will easily be on par with most mainstream MacBooks, the iPad Pro already surpasses the Core M series processor.

Math889

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016

Hopefully;

- True tone

That's all I need

12.9 inch should include:
True tone display
A10X with 4gb of RAM
Better Apple Pencil(though I really don't care for it, but it's cool)
2 gen Touch ID
3D Touch (if don't have it I really don't care too)
New colors
A feature that the IPad Pro 1 don't have
12MP and 5MP camera
256 storage

Chew Toy McCoy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
Really? Are you sure? Apps definitley need to be adusted for devices with different pixel dimensions and aspect ratios, but the iPad Mini retains the same pixel dimensions as the 9.7" iPad, and I read the Mini was made at its size and no smaller so that 9.7" iPad apps could have acceptable usability on the Mini without any adjustments from developers.

It’s been awhile, but last I checked Traktor Pro is formatted differently between the 9.7” iPad and the iPad Mini. Not as many options on the iPad Mini. Sadly I think they haven’t done a different format for the 12.9” iPad. A DJ app could certainly benefit from more available performance options on a larger screen.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
12.9 inch should include:
True tone display
A10X with 4gb of RAM
Better Apple Pencil(though I really don't care for it, but it's cool)
2 gen Touch ID
3D Touch (if don't have it I really don't care too)
New colors
A feature that the IPad Pro 1 don't have
12MP and 5MP camera
256 storage
I don't see how much better they could make the Apple Pencil but I agree with the processor also if they could squeeze in more battery that's always welcome :D

pkahleeb

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
But you fall outside the target group of the OP's question.

I'm like you...will buy the pro 12.9 v2, but not v1. Hopefully, there will be tangible benefits...a TT display is not meaningful to me though.
[doublepost=1476220716][/doublepost]

Sorry...but you CHOSE to accept the update. I'll admit, Apple could make it less insistent, but hey...

My ipad2 is still on ios7...never upgraded beyond that point. Next time, use some restraint (when deciding to upgrade the iOS).
No, you are wrong. if Apple provides an update for your device, it should run fine. This is Apple's fault because they can test these updates on devices. Why won't Apple let me downgrade a device to a previous version of the OS? Because they want to force you into buying a new device. It is unethical.

It probably will take a lawsuit by someone to get Apple to stop the practice of holding your device hostage with an update. I should be able, at the very least, to say I am not interested in the update and to quit nagging me. They should, however, give me an option to downgrade if I am not happy with the update.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
No, you are wrong. if Apple provides an update for your device, it should run fine. This is Apple's fault because they can test these updates on devices. Why won't Apple let me downgrade a device to a previous version of the OS? Because they want to force you into buying a new device. It is unethical.

It probably will take a lawsuit by someone to get Apple to stop the practice of holding your device hostage with an update. I should be able, at the very least, to say I am not interested in the update and to quit nagging me. They should, however, give me an option to downgrade if I am not happy with the update.

You can keep going down that path if you want to...but it's pointless. And at the end of the day, you have to press the button to upgrade...so don't.

Downgrading would be a wonderful option...already discussed why Apple won't do it.

Reactions: Mr_Killjoy

pkahleeb

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
You can keep going down that path if you want to...but it's pointless. And at the end of the day, you have to press the button to upgrade...so don't.

Downgrading would be a wonderful option...already discussed why Apple won't do it.
Tell me this. How do I keep a child from upgrading if that option comes up? This is true with your device or if they have a device you don't want upgraded to the latest version setup in the Family share as a child device. If Apple refuses to allow a downgrade, then they need better control of how upgrades happen. How about your iCloud password is required to be entered before an upgrade can take place?

Just because you have a differing point of view doesn't make you right... (it doesn't make me right either which is why it is a discussion)

Also, the point remans, what is the purpose of upgrading devices if the experience is not good? Apple is to blame here. They either need to develop a "scaled down" version of iOS for slower devices or cut off the upgrades. Developers cut off versions of the hardware and they already are required to make multiple versions of the app to run better on each particular chipset. This is just common sense for Apple to do.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Tell me this. How do I keep a child from upgrading if that option comes up? This is true with your device or if they have a device you don't want upgraded to the latest version setup in the Family share as a child device. If Apple refuses to allow a downgrade, then they need better control of how upgrades happen. How about your iCloud password is required to be entered before an upgrade can take place?

Just because you have a differing point of view doesn't make you right... (it doesn't make me right either which is why it is a discussion)

Also, the point remans, what is the purpose of upgrading devices if the experience is not good? Apple is to blame here. They either need to develop a "scaled down" version of iOS for slower devices or cut off the upgrades. Developers cut off versions of the hardware and they already are required to make multiple versions of the app to run better on each particular chipset. This is just common sense for Apple to do.

Don't get me wrong...I applaud your intent, but it would take nothing less than a winning lawsuit to make Apple change their ways.

As for a child pressing the button...wish there was a way to turn it off.

Mr_Killjoy

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016

I applaud you for actually encouraging a discussion, rather than just lashing out to argue.

While I haven't necessarily experienced your issues, I agree - constant pestering about an update would be obnoxious, and the badge on settings is as well. While you have to accept the update, I agree with you entirely that there should be an option to simply opt out or turn off updates. I'd extend that option to the App Store as well - especially when so many apps do a bi-weekly "non-update" that's just a waste of time to download.

Reactions: pkahleeb

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
If Apple implements 3D Touch, I will probably update.

There's not much else that could pull me into doing it because my Pro is pretty much perfect.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
I applaud you for actually encouraging a discussion, rather than just lashing out to argue.

While I haven't necessarily experienced your issues, I agree - constant pestering about an update would be obnoxious, and the badge on settings is as well. While you have to accept the update, I agree with you entirely that there should be an option to simply opt out or turn off updates. I'd extend that option to the App Store as well - especially when so many apps do a bi-weekly "non-update" that's just a waste of time to download.
Apple will never due this because they do not fragmentation like Android has. Also they do by far the best in the industry for making updates smooth as possible on the old devices while adding new features. The iPad 4 supports iOS 10 and while it takes few extra seconds to load stuff, actually using it is smooth and lag free. I appreciate that greatly as other companies will generally just release a update giving no effort on optimizing it for the oldest of supported devices.

Reactions: Icaras

pkahleeb

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
Apple will never due this because they do not fragmentation like Android has. Also they do by far the best in the industry for making updates smooth as possible on the old devices while adding new features. The iPad 4 supports iOS 10 and while it takes few extra seconds to load stuff, actually using it is smooth and lag free. I appreciate that greatly as other companies will generally just release a update giving no effort on optimizing it for the oldest of supported devices.
So lets make the customer frustrated to force upgrades in order to make our Operating System appear better than Android?

Apple essentially nags and forces all users to upgrade their device. While most Apple users will want the latest iOS, it is annoying that you don't have the option to permanently disable reminders to update. You should also be able to use any iOS version on any of your iPhones or iPads.

The original iPad Air is TERRIBLE when compared to how it ran at launch on iOS 10. iOS 9 was not much better. Apple knows these devices aren't running well and instead of making a more optimized version or doing something to make it run better on older devices, they push it out knowing it will eventually annoy you enough to upgrade. And there is no Tablet market for Android so it is a monopoly.

I find that the speed on the iPad Air compares to what the iPad mini 2 and 3 when using iOS 10. This is not right and shows how poorly designed the original Air was.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::oops:
So lets make the customer frustrated to force upgrades in order to make our Operating System appear better than Android?

Apple essentially nags and forces all users to upgrade their device. While most Apple users will want the latest iOS, it is annoying that you don't have the option to permanently disable reminders to update. You should also be able to use any iOS version on any of your iPhones or iPads.

The original iPad Air is TERRIBLE when compared to how it ran at launch on iOS 10. iOS 9 was not much better. Apple knows these devices aren't running well and instead of making a more optimized version or doing something to make it run better on older devices, they push it out knowing it will eventually annoy you enough to upgrade. And there is no Tablet market for Android so it is a monopoly.

I find that the speed on the iPad Air compares to what the iPad mini 2 and 3 when using iOS 10. This is not right and shows how poorly designed the original Air was.
The Air , Mini 2 and 3 have identical specs so yes they run identical. What your asking is not really possible because the rate Apple has advanced there 64 bit professors, has made the A7 rather dated compared to the latest A10. At the time I didn't not foresee this much improvement in the chips but they have so they take advantage of them hence the slower performance on the A7 since it just isnt nearly as powerful or efficient running the latest stuff in iOS 10. Another big issue is the GPU in the A7 was not quite enough juice to push the pixels of the iPad. The iPhone 5s can easily handle iOS 10. Where as the iPad stutters all over, Apple really should have kept the X series with the A7 to handle iPads extra resolution. So to some up the CPU in A7 is still rather capable for most task. The GPU is rather limiting with the iPads higher resolution. It is basically the iPad 3rd gen all over again although not quite as bad but almost.:eek:

Reactions: Math889

pkahleeb

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
The Air , Mini 2 and 3 have identical specs so yes they run identical. What your asking is not really possible because the rate Apple has advanced there 64 bit professors, has made the A7 rather dated compared to the latest A10. At the time I didn't not foresee this much improvement in the chips but they have so they take advantage of them hence the slower performance on the A7 since it just isnt nearly as powerful or efficient running the latest stuff in iOS 10. Another big issue is the GPU in the A7 was not quite enough juice to push the pixels of the iPad. The iPhone 5s can easily handle iOS 10. Where as the iPad stutters all over, Apple really should have kept the X series with the A7 to handle iPads extra resolution. So to some up the CPU in A7 is still rather capable for most task. The GPU is rather limiting with the iPads higher resolution. It is basically the iPad 3rd gen all over again although not quite as bad but almost.:eek:
Leave it to me to buy both the 3rd Gen and not upgrade again until the Air 1 :p

I basically used the two worst iPads ever made as my daily drivers...

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
Leave it to me to buy both the 3rd Gen and not upgrade again until the Air 1 :p

I basically used the two worst iPads ever made as my daily drivers...
That's funny so now the challenge is to wait to upgrade the until Pro 3 comes out, the A10X will be awesome but A11X will be 10nm meaning smaller more efficient and inherently better performance from die shrink let alone what ever crazy design Apple engineers manage. Seriously though you will regret if you don't wait till 2018 iPads

Reactions: pkahleeb

Math889

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
iPad 3=IPad Air 1
[doublepost=1476357740][/doublepost]
That's funny so now the challenge is to wait to upgrade the until Pro 3 comes out, the A10X will be awesome but A11X will be 10nm meaning smaller more efficient and inherently better performance from die shrink let alone what ever crazy design Apple engineers manage. Seriously though you will regret if you don't wait till 2018 iPads
If it have a amoled screen I will probably hold off 2017 IPad

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It is basically the iPad 3rd gen all over again although not quite as bad but almost.
The iPad Air's not nearly as bad as the iPad 3. The iPad 3 was already slow with iOS 6 (just one major firmware update) and nigh unbearable with anything higher. The iPad 2 may have received up to iOS 9 but realistically, I'd stop at iOS 7 for acceptable performance.

The Air has actually been chugging along fairly decently, on par with the iPad 2 for performance given age. Is the iPad Air snappy? No. Then again, neither were any other iPads after 3 years worth of software updates.

The situation's actually considerably better now compared to older generations of the iPhone and iPod Touch. I started with the original iPhone and prior to the A6 (iPhone 5), you really would want to upgrade every year, at most two years because performance with updated firmware just became so bad. The iPad Air is definitely showing its age but it's surprisingly useable for being 3 years old.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
The iPad Air's not nearly as bad as the iPad 3. The iPad 3 was already slow with iOS 6 (just one major firmware update) and nigh unbearable with anything higher. The iPad 2 may have received up to iOS 9 but realistically, I'd stop at iOS 7 for acceptable performance.

The Air has actually been chugging along fairly decently, on par with the iPad 2 for performance given age. Is the iPad Air snappy? No. Then again, neither were any other iPads after 3 years worth of software updates.

The situation's actually considerably better now compared to older generations of the iPhone and iPod Touch. I started with the original iPhone and prior to the A6 (iPhone 5), you really would want to upgrade every year, at most two years because performance with updated firmware just became so bad. The iPad Air is definitely showing its age but it's surprisingly useable for being 3 years old.
I agree I think people going overboard with how terrible the Air has become. It is not that bad and the complaining that Apple screwed them over needs to stop. If they knew how software and hardware works they'd know the slowdown is inevitable with the older hardware. Apple isn't screwing anyone

pkahleeb

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
I agree I think people going overboard with how terrible the Air has become. It is not that bad and the complaining that Apple screwed them over needs to stop. If they knew how software and hardware works they'd know the slowdown is inevitable with the older hardware. Apple isn't screwing anyone
Really? We spend that much money on a tablet and within a couple of years it is slowed down to iPad 2 levels due to iOS updates that are forced on users and no way to downgrade? You need to stop drinking the Koolaid for a moment and think about what you are saying. I don't really consider the original iPad Air to be an ancient product. Apple should only supply updates that maintain a level of snappiness to it that their products are known for.

The original iPad Air hasn't even been out for 3 years yet. The level of slowdown it has received in that time is unacceptable. An Apple tablet should run great for at least 3 years. If not, they aren't much better than what Android is doing...
[doublepost=1476377304][/doublepost]

While it is true that the iPad Air probably isn't as bad as the iPad 3. Both of these iPads are not good products from Apple. These are the two worst iPads they ever made in terms of longterm use. If Apple puts out an update and it causes the iPad to not perform well, they should keep it from updating your device, make a scaled down version of the iOS update, or allow users to downgrade if it doesn't perform well.

Nagging users to death and accidental updates must stop. I propose an iCloud password being required to update your iPad to a new version of iOS.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
Really? We spend that much money on a tablet and within a couple of years it is slowed down to iPad 2 levels due to iOS updates that are forced on users and no way to downgrade? You need to stop drinking the Koolaid for a moment and think about what you are saying. I don't really consider the original iPad Air to be an ancient product. Apple should only supply updates that maintain a level of snappiness to it that their products are known for.

The original iPad Air hasn't even been out for 3 years yet. The level of slowdown it has received in that time is unacceptable. An Apple tablet should run great for at least 3 years. If not, they aren't much better than what Android is doing...
Android tablet ecosystem is non existent, and the Air is no where near the iPad 2 performance considering the iPad 4 performs fine today and Air is also fine. Have you tried a Restore in iTunes and setting up as new don't restore a backup set it up as new. I would like to see the Air terrible performance as my parents Air is just fine they are content and I've used it it does not lag at all. The only slow down with the Air is loading times, and maybe the lastest games can't run like Batman Arkam Stories, but that game is sorta broken anyway. Please explain what is so slow on your iPad Air, but first restore it and setup as new with iOS 10 and try to tell me it's slow as a iPad 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.