Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Webnasty

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008
I just ran out and got the last Targus stylus at my Best Buy. I think it is great, given the limitations of a rounded tip. I got a Pogo a while ago, but returned it the next day. I think this is way superior. You don't have to press down to write. You can just write naturally and it works just fine.

dhoff01

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2007
dhoff01: How is that stylus from stylus-R-us working?

I like it. It's kind of a cross between the Boxwave/Targus and the Pogo. I hated the size of the pogo sketch and found the tip to be way too soft. The boxwave was good but very fatiguing to use since the rubber tip would drag a bit when taking extensive notes (I use Penultimate as my main note taking app). The stylus-R-us uses a felt-like tip that gives zero drag, but also requires no pressure to use. Right now it's my 'go to' stylus. I ordered the 6 inch, but I think the 5 inch would be perfect. One caveat - it works good, but not great, when using a protective film. No real problems with Penultimate, but I simply can't use it with my Notetaking HD app. But it works ridiculously well with my iphone which (presently) has no screen protector.

Hope that helps..

smithjc55

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2010
My Stylus

I was trying different things for a stylus with no success. Then I picked up a lemon and that worked fine. It was a lemon with a bit of a pimple at one end. Any idea why this works?

gunnarliden

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2008
I just got the Targus Stylus last night at Best Buy, and first impressions are that it is really good. writes smooth and has a little thickness to the pen so it actually feels like a real pen

WolfKeeper

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
Got my Boxwave stylus today from Amazon, and it's great. Better response than the Pogo, definately has a more solid feel when tapping to select/press buttons/etc. Also comes with a plug to secure it via a small lanyard that's inserted into the headphone port.

kristiaan.rm

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I made my own. Not the best, but works pretty good. FREE. Instead of the sponge tip, you could use the black foam memory chips get put on when they ship.

"How to make your iPad Stylus CHEAPLY" (4 diagrams with directions)

See here:
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/3980768/
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/3980779/
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/3980791/
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/3980800/

I'm sure someone can improve in this. But the body works great!

Before purchasing my BoxWave Stylus, I also Macgyvered up my own stylus.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/965431/

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Got my Boxwave stylus today from Amazon, and it's great. Better response than the Pogo, definately has a more solid feel when tapping to select/press buttons/etc. Also comes with a plug to secure it via a small lanyard that's inserted into the headphone port.

+1 - just got mine as well and it's fantastic.

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Interestingly enough, my local Best Buy finally got in some more Targus stylus in. I guess the big sellout of stylus did not go unnoticed. When I purchased my stylus last, it was $15.

Now the Targus stylus goes for $17.99...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Targus+-+Stylus+for+Apple%26%23174%3B+iPad%26%23153%3B/1151337.p?skuId=1151337&ky=1whxm51gbOgORrn6M8JOUlLjDtR0yY7Rx&cmp=RMX&id=1218226504600

What's interesting is that Targus says the stylus still costs $14.99
http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.aspx?sku=AMM01US

A little gouging on BB's part? I really do enjoy the stylus, the Dagi costs $19.99, so I do think stylus is worth the price. Just unfortunate on BB's part, when they already have a sometimes questionable rep.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008
What stylus would you guys recommend for writing?

Griffin looks great, but not many reviews, as does Targus. Pogo is terrible for inking.

dhoff01

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2007
What stylus would you guys recommend for writing?

Griffin looks great, but not many reviews, as does Targus. Pogo is terrible for inking.

I use the Camry by Stylus-R-Us. (http://www.beststylus.com/the-illustrator-camry.html). It's pricey, but in my opinion it is head and shoulders the best stylus out there. I would caution tho that it works much better if you're not using a screen protector.

I know everyone here likes the boxwave, but for note taking I find it unusable. Rubber tips grab the screen, making it impossible to be fluid when writing. I didn't realize how much I was fighting my iPad until I switched to the one made by stylus-r-us.

I also liked the Dagi, but it dies on me within a few weeks. Another person posted he had the same problem. As for the pogo, don't waste your time- it's way too small and soft in my opinion.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
Looks like it may be the best looking iPhone/iPad stylus out there. I've just ordered a Griffin stylus but this elago stylus looks better, and it receives very good reviews.

I got it and like it quite a bit. Only caveat is it's a bit small, measures 4.25" from tip to tip. If the Griffin et al measure say 4.5" (to account for the extra nub at the end on those) it's probably another rebrand of those in a slightly flashier exterior.

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
I know everyone here likes the boxwave, but for note taking I find it unusable. Rubber tips grab the screen, making it impossible to be fluid when writing. I didn't realize how much I was fighting my iPad until I switched to the one made by stylus-r-us.

Have you actually used the Boxwave? I agree that rubber tips grab the screen but the boxwave glides over it with no resistance at all. Hands down, out of all the stylus' I've tried (and I've tried lots, working in an Apple reseller), it's the best out there.

If you've tried it and don't like it, fine, but your comment throwing it in with the draggy rubber tipped stylus' leads me to believe you've not tried it at all.

dhoff01

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2007
Have you actually used the Boxwave? I agree that rubber tips grab the screen but the boxwave glides over it with no resistance at all. Hands down, out of all the stylus' I've tried (and I've tried lots, working in an Apple reseller), it's the best out there.

If you've tried it and don't like it, fine, but your comment throwing it in with the draggy rubber tipped stylus' leads me to believe you've not tried it at all.

I own the boxwave. I bought the version that has a pen on the other side.

dhoff01

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2007
So you used a different model and think it's the same? Hmmm...:confused:

This is what I have:

http://www.boxwave.com/products/capacitivestyra/apple-ipad-capacitive-styra_3779.htm

You really think boxwave is spending R&D to create two different rubber tips?

Seriously, I'm not trying to diss on your stylus. I've spent my own $ on all the styluses I've discussed, and I thought it would be useful for others to know that I've found the one form stylus-r-us to be the best. Maybe you should try it and compare for yourself.

On a side note, I'd like to highlight (again) that I do not use a protective screen. This could be a reason why your tip doesn't seem to grab as much. I used an anti-glare screen for awhile and the finish was definitely smoother to my touch.

Again, just my two cents. I don't mind you disagreeing with me, but I'd rather it be on the basis of an actual comparison. That's at least what I based my own comments on.

Best of luck,

David

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

I've tried it. The rubber tip drags just like every other rubber tipped stylus I've tried. Using it with any screen protector makes it worse.

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
You really think boxwave is spending R&D to create two different rubber tips?

Seriously, I'm not trying to diss on your stylus. I've spent my own $ on all the styluses I've discussed, and I thought it would be useful for others to know that I've found the one form stylus-r-us to be the best. Maybe you should try it and compare for yourself.

On a side note, I'd like to highlight (again) that I do not use a protective screen. This could be a reason why your tip doesn't seem to grab as much. I used an anti-glare screen for awhile and the finish was definitely smoother to my touch.

Again, just my two cents. I don't mind you disagreeing with me, but I'd rather it be on the basis of an actual comparison. That's at least what I based my own comments on.

I have based my comment on comparison. I don't understand how you can think this stylus has any drag because it simply doesn't. I know what rubber tipped stylus' (styli?) feel like and this one is HUGELY different, it just glides over the surface. And nope, no screen protector here. Hate the things.

I'd love to try the stylus you recommended and you're right, it'd give me a better idea. Maybe it's mind-blowingly good, but I don't want to spend ££ on that one when the one I have now has zero drag. It's the only reason I picked it up. Maybe they refined the feel of their rubber tips based on feedback between the time you bought yours and I bought mine (I got mine last week). I've no idea how they operate as a company but this thing has no drag.

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
I've tried it. The rubber tip drags just like every other rubber tipped stylus I've tried. Using it with any screen protector makes it worse.

Hmmm...strange. This one has zero drag. Maybe I got lucky. I've used a ridiculous amount of rubber stylus' so know what you mean about the drag (it's off-putting to use a draggy stylus) and this one is beautiful to use due to no drag. I've even let a few customers demo it because they have stated they hate rubber stylus' - they've walked out the store with the boxwave. Must be something different?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.