iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro Hands-On: Much-Improved Cameras Within Unsightly Bump

jonnysods

macrumors 603
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Apple have received a lot of hate over the pass few years for their hardware, with a lot of references to missing Steve Jobs and wondering what he would think of the current state of Apple, and today's release. I'm one of those people.

For all those Tim Cook defenders you have to be wondering the same thing after today surely?

"Unsightly" - that's a strong word I haven't heard used in reference to an apple product before.

Reactions: Mactendo

Gix1k

macrumors 68030
Jun 16, 2008
Let's be clear here. That camera array is ugly as hell. The rest of it though, looks as sleak as ever.

Lololol....you mean as sleek as last year?
[doublepost=1568163672][/doublepost]Hahaha....Samsung wins 2019.

Wags

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
New pre order time......
Probably changing to get all the help need to make this ‘the best launch ever’. So they always say.

MacUser09425

Suspended
Aug 2, 2019
Out West
There is a certain amount of irony that a company that lived by looks over functionality is now getting raked over the proverbial coals for producing a less than elegant design which produces amazing pictures.

Reactions: Fairchild

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Although I believe your statement was meant as a criticism of them, Apple takes it as a compliment. I rather have a company that says "no" to many things instead of a company that says "yes" to many things.
It was a joke :) don’t take it seriously. Although I agree they’re too slow these days, but I also agree with your statement. They could just find a couple of new things, say hard YES to them and bring them to market and redefine it just as they did in the past.

felixroqu3

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
New York, NY
I'm glad the the camera bump somewhat matches the color of phone itself.

Still feels as it was added on at last minute... less symmetry and clean Apple design.
It matches the color, but it seems like the square has a glossy finish, and the rest of the phone is matte. It kind of makes it look ..strange.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I am mainly interested in conparing the XS to the 11. Is it a strict upgrade sans the OLED? Does it support HDR video playback? The specs could imply it, but it isn't confirmed anywhere.
I’m pretty sure it was mentioned the Pro’s can playback HDR content with Dolby Atmos sound.

truthertech

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2016
The killer feature of the bump design is that it actually doubles as the Domino pizza app. You push on it with your finger and it authenticates and has your favorite pizza in memory. But only on the pro. The regular 11 doesn't resemble their logo enough to squeeze the tech into it.

Don't give up your day job-comedy's not your thing.
[doublepost=1568165706][/doublepost]
Apple have received a lot of hate over the pass few years for their hardware, with a lot of references to missing Steve Jobs and wondering what he would think of the current state of Apple, and today's release. I'm one of those people.

For all those Tim Cook defenders you have to be wondering the same thing after today surely?

"Unsightly" - that's a strong word I haven't heard used in reference to an apple product before.

What will you say as people vote with their wallets and Apple sells over two hundred MILLION phones this year?? When they sell more than Steve Jobs ever did?? When Apple garners over 90% of the entire smart phone industry's profits?? It must hurt hating on some company that keeps making you look silly.

Stridr69

macrumors member
May 8, 2012
...and through all the excitement of the camera bump, no one mentioned a VERY important thing.

The Mute switch. I hope THAT hasn't changed. From the OG iPhone through the XR/XS series, that particular item has been the same. As comforting(and reliable) as a morning sunrise. As smooth as an excellent Brandy(Scotch works too!). I'll mourn it's passing if a change has been done...

Last edited:

ldandp0

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2018
If i was part of Steve Job's family, I would start immediate proceedings against Tim Cook for desecrating Job's grave by revealing that monstrosity in the Steve Job's theatre.

felixroqu3

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
New York, NY
...and through all the excitement of the camera bump, no one mentioned a VERY important thing.

The Mute switch. I hope THAT hasn't changed. From the OG iPhone through the XR/XS series, that particular item has been the same. As comforting(and reliable) as a morning sunrise. As smooth as an excellent Brandy(Scotch works too!). I'll mourn it's passing if a change has been done...
The mute switch did not change.

Reactions: Stridr69

rlhamil

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
I'm glad the the camera bump somewhat matches the color of phone itself.

Still feels as it was added on at last minute... less symmetry and clean Apple design.
Comes down to this: the phone is thinner than they can get decent cameras for, as yet. Maybe the phone doesn't need to be quite that thin? It'd also be able to fit a USB-C then, as well as having a less obvious bump.

OTOH, if you have a case, that probably makes up the thickness, so it's not so odd looking then. Worked that way with the 2-cam iPhone X, anyway.

Reactions: AppleWes

vladi

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2010
Leave it to Pixel 4 to take the ugly array throne.

On a serious note there is a bold claim on apple's website 11 Pro takes the highest quality video on any smartphone. Highest quality in what? Bitrate? Color gamut? Noise reduction? Number of dropped frames?

Reactions: Star Brood

ke-iron

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2014
What's the deal with the front facing camera? Since it's now 12MP, doesn't it have wider view on portrait as well? Why only landscape?
I think it’s 2 cameras on the front. One that specializes in taking the portraits and the other is wide angle

MacCheetah3

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2003
Sauk Rapids, MN
What's the deal with the front facing camera? Since it's now 12MP, doesn't it have wider view on portrait as well? Why only landscape?
Logical usability. How could you properly preview a wide shot when the screen is in portrait orientation? In other words, when the phone is vertical, the reasonable assumption is a portrait photo. When you turn the phone horizontally, the reasonable conclusion is you're trying to capture a group photo or the like.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
When you put a case on it looks more flat and much nicer. A friend of mine makes these for the new iPhone and I think they make the bump sort of vanish

D8FEC6F8-C6AA-4CDE-9E31-3E250F44B1B2.jpeg

MacCheetah3

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2003
Sauk Rapids, MN
I started getting used to the new camera bump, then I saw the picture of the new 11 Pro Max next to the XS Max camera bump. Wow, the new iPhones are really ugly.
The camera bump makes the phone ugly. That is the ugliest design I can remember seeing from Apple. It makes the X and XS look even better.
I fail to understand the purpose of lowering the "bump" only to have the camera lenses protrude just as far anyway. It doesn't seem any more elegant to me. If the bump needs to be there to have the feature so be it, don't try to pretend.
For comparison, look at the dual-camera config yet, not two steps. :: shrugs :: It's not significant to me because I'm sticking with my decision to wait until 2020.

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017
The pricing on the Xr is aggressive and the 3 camera design on the Pro looks seriously good, far better than leaks.

I wish I owned a lot more Apple shares because they just got serious with selling more phones and services and wearables are going to explode.