iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro Hands-On: Much-Improved Cameras Within Unsightly Bump

BJMRamage

macrumors 68020
Oct 2, 2007
www.BJMRamage.com
So do the new iPhones have a Bump + Lens protrusions?
[doublepost=1568158977][/doublepost]
I was really expecting to much from the subject „by Innovation only“. Where is it? Nice little performance updates etc but nothing really innovative. They could at least try to build a 3in1 camera to avoid the ugly back.

The BIG Innovation today was calling the pricey iPhones “PRO”

Second innovation was calling a slightly better screen Super XDR. Or whatever new name they gave it.

talkin73

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2008
I have the XS Max Gold and thought I’d change it to the green as it looks sleek but people keep saying the new gold looks amazing... imma have to see the two in person.

unless I’m wrong it looks like the front camera is not wide angle lens?
And Face ID does not work in any direction like the iPad?

I hoped it would get those features but ‍♂
Their website indicates front camera now has wider perspective “to get all your peeps in the shot” or something like that. I was pleased to see this as I use the front camera for family pics all the time. Tall and long arms helps but a wider perspective would allow more scenery in the **** which I often wish I could do.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
The camera is ugly yet will likely blend in with a case. All the companies need to KNOCK OFF the notch and hole punches. I will not buy a phone with one and that's going to get harder when the last two or three generations of a phone have that poor design. Still curious what makes all these designers think putting a hole or notch is better than a little bezel.

Apple used to be slicker than this. Maybe one day someone else will fix their poor design choices.

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

SidricTheViking

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2014
There are so many darn iPhone threads now....

I'm upgrading from an iPhone 6s. Are these the only differences between the 11 and 11 Pro?

Better OLED display on Pro
Slightly better battery in Pro
Telephoto camera lens included in Pro only
Film tools for Pro only that allow special video features like simultaneously video recording form different lenses
512GB in Pro versus maximum 256GB in 11

What else is the difference between iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro other than what I listed above and size/finish?
Use this tool on Apple’s site to compare them directly: https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/
It’s really handy and gives a great amount of detail.

Last edited:

SDColorado

Contributor
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I'm glad the the camera bump somewhat matches the color of phone itself.

Still feels as it was added on at last minute... less symmetry and clean Apple design.
Hey look at how thin we could make this phone! Okay, but you forgot about the cameras. Oh #$^! Just add them to the exterior of the ultra thin phone. No one will notice.

sakurarain

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2018
Shanghai
So apple is catching up to the competition....but....can we have our audio jack back yet?!?
Tim: we know our customers love the Pro camera. They do not need a audio jack, while they all purchased AirPods. So we listened to their voice and will never bring the audio jack back.....

Jerry Fritschle

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2004
For those who complain about the camera bump, it is dictated by the harsh reality, applied to the features. It can be argued whether one is better off with a "real" camera than trying to graft such stuff onto a phone, but that's another story.

Back in film days, I worked at a major camera dealer in my area. I had a customer who wanted a camera that fit in his palm, like a Minox. Well, I had a Minox. But then he said it had to zoom to 200mm. Well, I had point and shoots that did that (SLRs were out of the question.) Then he said, "no, it has to be f/2.8" and walked out of the store.

For those who don't know, an f-stop is simply the ratio of the aperture to the focal length. As such, 35mm point-and-shoots, when zoomed to that degree, were f/11 or worse. So what he wanted was impossible. But he was sure it was out there somewhere. A quarter-century later, maybe he has bought something by now.

Reactions: Moi Ici and bronksy

bronksy

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2006
London
www.satureyes.com
See past the aesthetics of the damn camera bump. It needs to be there because of physics. Forget the bump for now.

The iPhone 11 Pro is a massive step in mobile film making.

Aside from the gimmicks of slo mo selfies and the now standard increase in photographic quality they really have done something remarkable.

Three lenses. Two can Simultaneously shoot and record video and coupled with a hugely powerful app like Filmic Pro can offer a multi camera shoot on an iPhone. Choosing the shot - with no quality loss? In 4K 60p? It’s mind-blowing.

It would negate the use for external lenses on the iPhone, meaning a smaller, lighter setup and perfect for use in a cheap gimbal like the Osmo mobile.

I’m not over reacting. This is the biggest leap in quality mobile film making and photography since cameras first appears on phones.

No- it’s not as good as a Red or Arri etc but they’re not saying that. What it is is the most incredible tool for the average Joe to have and play with and create compelling content.

It’s astonishing and revolutionary.
[doublepost=1568161608][/doublepost]
Gotta say the back of the 11 Pro is fugly. Definitely nothing there to make me want to give my iPhone X at this stage.
So how it looks is more important than its function? But I find that strange. Then again- image quality is more important to me than how it looks. Clearly not to you but that’s ok. Wait until a more pretty phone comes out ;)

Bawstun

macrumors 68000
Jun 25, 2009
iPhone 11 camera bump looks ok.
iPhone 11 Pro Camera bump is pushing it for me.

2nd picture from the top looks horrible.

will probably still be acceptable with a case but interesting to see Apple prioritize function over form this time.
This time? They’ve been doing it for a while now. It’s actually a scary trend they’ve started, it’s like they have to keep seeing what qualifies as bad design that they can sell at a premium design and brand image price. It’s like it’s all some sort of joke and we’re not in on it.

Star Brood

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2012
Berlin, Germany
I am mainly interested in conparing the XS to the 11. Is it a strict upgrade sans the OLED? Does it support HDR video playback? The specs could imply it, but it isn't confirmed anywhere.

Rocko99991

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2017
I think the whole narrative of actual professional video creators using this toy as their go to camera was genuinely rediculous. Ok, let's toss out the RED camera and use an
iPhone instead.
The marketing is designed to get the everyday joe thinking it's as good as a pro camera. No pro thinks that.

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
See past the aesthetics of the damn camera bump. It needs to be there because of physics. Forget the bump for now.

The iPhone 11 Pro is a massive step in mobile film making.

Aside from the gimmicks of slo mo selfies and the now standard increase in photographic quality they really have done something remarkable.

Three lenses. Two can Simultaneously shoot and record video and coupled with a hugely powerful app like Filmic Pro can offer a multi camera shoot on an iPhone. Choosing the shot - with no quality loss? In 4K 60p? It’s mind-blowing.

It would negate the use for external lenses on the iPhone, meaning a smaller, lighter setup and perfect for use in a cheap gimbal like the Osmo mobile.

I’m not over reacting. This is the biggest leap in quality mobile film making and photography since cameras first appears on phones.

No- it’s not as good as a Red or Arri etc but they’re not saying that. What it is is the most incredible tool for the average Joe to have and play with and create compelling content.

It’s astonishing and revolutionary.
[doublepost=1568161608][/doublepost]
So how it looks is more important than its function? But I find that strange. Then again- image quality is more important to me than how it looks. Clearly not to you but that’s ok. Wait until a more pretty phone comes out ;)
Exactly, Apple has advanced mobile photography a notch. Well know more when the reviewers get their hands on these models.