Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
I like the comparison of the EVO to the iPhone 4 but it seems the EVO has a lot more color to the picture? Or is that just me? Anyways, how are they getting this video with the iPhone 4 may I ask?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
New comparison here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUwutoAeGlI&feature=player_embedded Click HD, I think it's obvious which is better lmao

Holy cow, the Dynamic Range on the iPhone is amazingly better!

And that's not something that re-sizing or re-compressing or You-Tubing can change. It's just clearly got a wider range by a long shot.

That sample shows it better than the earlier ones. Thanks.

that video is fake. I'm sure his first video with an Iphone 4 would be of him unboxing and showing it off. Hell none of the media sites have the actual phone yet.

I'm sure a few do and they certainly wouldn't be showing an "un-boxing" photo.

If it is one of them, they shouldn't be posting this video, but maybe it's someone else in the office who wasn't supposed to get ahold of the footage but did anyway.

Who knows. You're right. It COULD be fake. it could also be real. Nothing to prove it either way right now.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
that video is fake. I'm sure his first video with an Iphone 4 would be of him unboxing and showing it off. Hell none of the media sites have the actual phone yet.
He claims he got it from someone else and that he won't reveal the source.

Well considering it's video footage shot with iPhone 4 it should explain I did not render anything down(not even sure what that really means) Due to all the legal drama with apple and gizmodo , I will not be reveling my source or how I obtained the phone. Sorry.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
No, Edited is another word for altered. That video has been altered from 720 down to 308.

Edited is not, in fact, another word for altered. If you've written a book and the printer has to adjust the margins they are not 'editing' your work. They are resizing it. The content remains identical.

Believe it or not, English is not particularly rich in exact synonyms, regardless of how you'd personally like to use them.

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
I like the comparison of the EVO to the iPhone 4 but it seems the EVO has a lot more color to the picture? Or is that just me? Anyways, how are they getting this video with the iPhone 4 may I ask?

the color on the evo 4 is waaay over saturated. It's what dept stores do to the colors of hdtvs by oversaturating and giving it that color 'pop', but it's not a true representation of color.

mysticbluebmw

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
It's already been said, the iPhone example is downsized on Apple and Youtube to: 462 x 308 @ 822kB in size. It is NOT shown at the iPhone's true capability of 1280 x 720. It is 1/7 the size of the REAL iPhone HD video capability.

The Evo example IS shown at 1280 x 720.

THIS IS NOT A TRUE COMPARISON.

MDePew24

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2008
Ballwin, MO
Having the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G, ANY video will be nice to have. If it's close to what Apple says it is then it'll be fine.

iMoo

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2010
My god that's gorgeous...

Yeah though you can see some limits to it looking in the background at the mountains you can notice a bit of trxture popping, bit like when playing a game on a PC or console. Saying that for a phone looking at the foreground etc does still look impressive. Not sure if it would look good on tv though

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
Why isn't there a RED 4k sensor attached to my iPhone 4? I want 1080p recording @ 120fps. That's it... time to raise hell.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
How do you know the video on youtube wasn't re-compressed.

Actually, we know for a fact it WAS recompressed. Everything you upload to Youtube get transcoder into FLV, another MP4, and now VP8. So yeah, anything you upload there is going to suffer a bit.

cadeucsb

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
Why isn't there a RED 4k sensor attached to my iPhone 4? I want 1080p recording @ 120fps. That's it... time to raise hell.

^+1

Dont expect HDTV quality recording from a sensor that resides in any device the size of the palm of your hand (iphone, flip cams, point/shoot cams etc).

Burglnar

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010

YEAH!! I'm not buying an iPhone til it has a Mysterium X sensor and 5K RAW output! Haha. Some folks are never satisfied no matter how much you offer them at a reasonable price. If anyone knows how much HD/ DSLR cameras cost to have a "real decent" setup (I'm currently saving for a Canon 5D +L series lens.. ~ $3000), they know that paying 200 or 300 bucks for a phone with 720p video capture is not going to be nearly the same experience as an actual HD camera.

specops

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
1. iPhone 4 is 720p that youtube video link is running at 320p which is HALF the quality.... k? get it?

Trust me the iphone4 HD video will look great on your 720p HD TV screen.

julesw

macrumors member
May 22, 2010
Why the iphone 4 won't kill the Flip

1. you won't put the iphone in an underwater case and take it in the sea
2. you won't let your kids take it to the park to shoot videos
3. you won't mount an iphone on your model glider
4. you won't mount it on your car roof
5. you won't buy 20 Iphones for your school to hand out to your class to film their science experiment
6. you won't give 10 iphones to African villagers to document their lives

jules
flip blogger
www.myflip.co.uk

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009

1. you won't put the iphone in an underwater case and take it in the sea
2. you won't let your kids take it to the park to shoot videos
3. you won't mount an iphone on your model glider
4. you won't mount it on your car roof
5. you won't buy 20 Iphones for your school to hand out to your class to film their science experiment
6. you won't give 10 iphones to African villagers to document their lives

jules
flip blogger
www.myflip.co.uk

I know you're trying to pimp your blog, but half of the reasons you state are simply retarded man.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
For God sake ... the footage has been compressed and uploaded onto YouTube, no wonder it looks poor.

Let's wait until we record our own footage on our own iPhone 4's and watch it on the Retina Display or our Macs, shall we?

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
TROLOLOLOLOLLL-iPHONE-HAS-BAD-HD-VIDEO-TROLLOLOLOLO.jpg

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Everyone who is bashing has obviously not taken the time to read the thread. My main point was that the video in question has been put online by APPLE and they said "this video was recorded in HD with our new iPhone 4" They said that like this will show you how great our video looks now. Then when you open this remarkable video shot with apples new HD recording iPhone, it is lousy... SO sure it is not the actual video from the phone.

Let me ask you this, why did apple have real pictures from the new iPhone4 you can see in full beautiful pictures, why should i expect less with the video. If apple showed the pictures all small and blurry and said look how great they are, I would be like, hey thats not great....

and the title of the thread is "iPhone 4 hd video DEMO "very poor quality"

So since the Great video they can shoot, doesnt look that great (because apple didnt want to give us a link to the actual file), why am I a troll for asking whats up??

I guess anyone who looks at things with open eyes and asks questions, must be a troll to you :)

And as a troll I am on my third Iphone, had the 2g, the 3g, and the 3gs all as big as you could get them, I have a MBP 15 inch, and a new Ipad and a new 32gig iPhone 4 on the way..... Ya sounds like a troll to me. IF i AM A TROLL..... What does that make you, even worst because you cant have a normal conversation....:cool::apple:

Everyone else sorry for my rant, I get anoyed when people cant have a normal conversation without being insulting. It just shows their true character....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.