Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
oh great...still the same small 4 inch screen, boring OS (including iOS 7). And NO, the plastic, low cost version with terrible color options isnt going to save Apple this time around. PASS!:rolleyes:
Well, at least you did a :rolleyes: for your own post, so we don't have to.
Thanks for that.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
Because such a statement makes no sense. What is Apple doing wrong here?

They are doing very little, exactly my point.

:rolleyes:

----------

youre high. ive owned every "tick" and "tock" iphone models, the the S-version was a substantial upgrade in each case -- new innards, even tho the outside looked the same.

It's called Placebo Effect. Look it up. There is no app on your phone (except some over the top game) that needs the speed increase. Battery life was never improved.

So what was the upgrade, EXACTLY. Do tell.

:confused:

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
finally! i hope it comes out by september so that i can ask my parents to gift me the iphone5s on my birthday.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
There's nothing wrong with that strategy. Coming out with a radically redesigned phone every year doesn't make sense.

What else does the iPhone really need right now? ...

And the moment decides to make radical changes each year with the iPhone it'll make sense. :rolleyes:

I bet the hard core iPhone boys/girls are already lining up and saying that it's the best iPhone ever! :rolleyes:

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
I really don't like that screen size... after some months with a Nexus 4 my iPhone (4) feels like a silly toy... dated.. behind the times. I don't want a 5" iPhone, but something around 4.5" would be perfect.

But it's like 95% sure it will be the 5S with the same form factor this year.. unfortunately.. really disappointing.

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
USB 3 please! Was so disappointed when the iPhone 5 had the new connector (which I do like the ff change) only to find out that syncing was not any quicker by still being on USB 2.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
USB 3 please! Was so disappointed when the iPhone 5 had the new connector (which I do like the ff change) only to find out that syncing was not any quicker by still being on USB 2.

You're also limited by the speed of the flash memory.

Not sure if USB 3.0 would help any.

kironin

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2004
Texas
Didn't jump on bandwagon till the iPhone3G came out. Was happy with that.

Waited for the iPhone 4S skipping all the issues with the 4 and still doing great now. Saw no reason to get the 5.

Skipped the 5 and so this will be a major upgrade for me! :D

will get the iPhone 5S and skip the 6 ! pretty funny to read the silly comments on here from those with little patience.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Didn't jump on bandwagon till the iPhone3G came out. Was happy with that.

Waited for the iPhone 4S skipping all the issues with the 4 and still doing great now. Saw no reason to get the 5.

Skipped the 5 and so this will be a major upgrade for me! :D

will get the iPhone 5S and skip the 6 ! pretty funny to read the silly comments on here from those with little patience.

My first iPhone was the 4S.... the 5S will be a big upgrade for me as well!

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
I'm sorry but Apple better start thinking about getting a larger screen iPhone out there. Demand is clearly there, and the Apple's ecosystem is second to none, but...

I stopped by my nearest Best Buy to see what the big deal is about the Galaxy S4 and I must say that Android and that humongous screen are compelling as hell. If Apple didn't have me in ecosystem lockdown (2 iPads, 3 iPod Touches, 27 in iMac, 17 in MBP, 2 Apple TVs), I would have jumped at one of those in a sec.

I see why people like Android, I just don't know the (uniquely personal) cons until I take the plunge, and whether or not it's worth it to abandon the ecosystem, at least in the phone category. However, I consider myself an average consumer and I think that at first glance Android is a perfectly capable and viable alternative to iOS.

But I'm not leaving OSX, or Apple's laptop/desktop hardware. I give Apple until December (when my contract ends) to come up with something, or I'm taking a break from iPhone for a couple.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I am surprised those millions of potential customers settled for an iPhone 4 when they could have just as easily gotten a Samsung or other Android phone for the price of an iPhone 4.

I think a lot of people did just that. Samsung has sold more than 100 million galaxy series phones.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Embrace, the fanboys will be all over you. I said something along those lines in the other thread and I had two of them on my throat... Heaven forbid Apple does anything wrong.

Have you ever stopped to realize that maybe some people want a phone without the gimmicks, and bloat, that just works? I've owned an S3, Nexus 4, and an S4 all within the past year, and can't wait for the next iPhone to be released. Competition benefits us all. Just because someone prefers a different mobile OS than you doesn't make them a fanboy FYI. :cool:

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
If it's the same form factor as the 5 then it looks like I'll be holding on to my 4s for another year. The elongated screen just doesn't do it for me. Crucify me all you want but I want a bigger screen.

So do I. I have two lines and am using a Samsung S3 and an iPhone 4S as well. The longer I am using the S3, the more convinced I am that I need a larger screen, not an elongated one. If the iPhone 5S has the same form factor but some new features, I will will hold my purchase, till the iPhone 6 comes along. Apple, you don't need to ramp up production, there won't be much demand for the iPhone 5S, if it is similar to the iPhone 5. My two cents...

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
And?

It's pretty much the same phone as the current 5, with a different camera and some other gimmick feature.

This strategy of releasing a re-hash phone every other year will do nothing to boost sales and stop the marketshare bleeding.

:apple:

You act like they are holding back on purpose and that they are too stupid to realise that it is not working.

What is the phone supposed to do? I use it everyday and find it very useful. What am I missing?

----------

My first iPhone was the 4S.... the 5S will be a big upgrade for me as well!

I got the 3G
My wife got the 3GS

I got the 4
My wife got the 4S

I got the 5
My wife's turn this year.

I always thought her phone was better than mine when she got it.
I bet this year will be no exception.

----------

And so it begins...

What begins?

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010

I see why people like Android, I just don't know the (uniquely personal) cons until I take the plunge, and whether or not it's worth it to abandon the ecosystem, at least in the phone category. However, I consider myself an average consumer and I think that at first glance Android is a perfectly capable and viable alternative to iOS.

Other than iMessage (and assuming you don't use your iphone for facetime) you can get the S4 to work with much of the ecosystem. I have a similar setup to yours and with a little upfront effort, you can get music to sync, photos to appear in photostream (and vice versa) and even have airplay.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
Well, You would more surprised how ancient and narrow the 4" screen feels after using legitimate large screen* phones....

*not phablets

What you'll say next year: "You would be surprised how ancient the 4" screen feels after using the iPhone 6." ;) That is if Apple decides to give us a larger screen next year. Any screen size under 4.5" is "ancient" for a smartphone.

Who's bringing up any other phone? All I'm saying is that the 3.5" feels ancient next to the 4". I have no doubt that the 4" would feel ancient next to a 4.7".

You tried tho! :eek:

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
5s

production of the iPhone 5S last month...

A report from earlier today suggested that iPhone 5S supplies will be ...

Some iPhone 5S prototypes have ...

So exactly when was the name 5S confirmed? Did I miss that important leak? Seriously, aren't we all just taking the name '5S' it for granted?

Just remember I warned you about this when the name winds up being different.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
And?

It's pretty much the same phone as the current 5, with a different camera and some other gimmick feature.

This strategy of releasing a re-hash phone every other year will do nothing to boost sales and stop the marketshare bleeding.

:apple:

When I think of flagship phones across the board. I don't see too many changes. Galaxy S3 to S4, etc.. I think if it's not broken don't fix it. Just maybe, improve it.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
They are doing very little, exactly my point. It's called Placebo Effect. Look it up. There is no app on your phone (except some over the top game) that needs the speed increase. Battery life was never improved.

What do YOU expect/want them to do. Your type always whine about what they didn't do, what should they do. We would all love to hear your opinion.

And the moment decides to make radical changes each year with the iPhone it'll make sense. :rolleyes:

I bet the hard core iPhone boys/girls are already lining up and saying that it's the best iPhone ever! :rolleyes:

If it is the best iPhone ever why not say it? Don't like the refresh don't buy it but ffs stop whining about it. Goes for all of the people that don't like the s model refreshes. Go by the Note, or S4, or the other offerings that obviously change EVERY cycle..... oh wait :eek:

Attachments

• s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 539
  • s4.jpg
    s4.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 540
Last edited:

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
They are doing very little, exactly my point.

:rolleyes:

It's an update to an existing iPhone 5 which is only less than a year old. If you want something more, you can wait another year for iPhone 6 or get a different device. Apple is simply updating the internals in iPhone 5S, nothing less, nothing more.

The same thing they're doing to the rest of their products, they bump the spec every year with no major changes.

It's called Placebo Effect. Look it up. There is no app on your phone (except some over the top game) that needs the speed increase. Battery life was never improved.

Switchover to a dual-core A5, much faster GPUs (huge benefit for gaming and likely for upcoming iOS 7's new UI since they're removed animations from iPhone 4), Siri, fast Wi-Fi speed and so on.

41963.png

41962.png

41965.png

41747.png

Feel free to read the whole review here by Anandtech.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
If it is the best iPhone ever why not say it? Don't like the refresh don't buy it but ffs stop whining about it. Goes for all of the people that don't like the s model refreshes. Go by the Note, or S4, or the other offerings that obviously change EVERY cycle..... oh wait :eek:

What do YOU expect/want them to do. Your type always whine about what they didn't do, what should they do. We would all love to hear your opinion.
I've actually had some people tell me that the S4 was a major design overhaul over the S3. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.