Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Has anyone emailed Tim Cook with the explanation provided here?

http://www.pfonline.com/articles/pitting-on-7000-series-al-alloy
[doublepost=1462755056][/doublepost]
Just got my replacement today and guess what? It has the micro-pitting issue right out of the box. This is ridiculous. And worst part is I left the AASP without spotting it. Now I have to call back Apple Singapore to get another replacement. Luckily they will replace just that it will take another day to process.

How many have you been through now?

If you have the time, would you please email Tim Cook and explain what you have been through so that info can trickle down for the rest of us?

tcook@apple.com

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-6s-plus-aluminium-chipping.1930678/page-17#post-22732810

Last edited:

alleggerita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Singapore
Has anyone emailed Tim Cook with the explanation provided here?

[doublepost=1462755056][/doublepost]

How many have you been through now?

If you have the time, would you please email Tim Cook and explain what you have been through so that info can trickle down for the rest of us?

tcook@apple.com

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-6s-plus-aluminium-chipping.1930678/page-17#post-22732810

What do you think are the odds that he (or his rep) will reply? Haha

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I bought my rose gold 6S and 6S+ in December and both have been in Apple leather cases since day one. Both are spotless today.

I wonder why some people are having this problem and others aren't.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I use mine without a case, yeah aluminium scratches and can chip :)

As for the OP seeing this after 18 days, heck apple makes millions of devices , as we would like to believe a celestial virgin checks each one for QA making sure it's perfect, I'm sure she has her off days... And that's what apple support is for.

Reactions: ABC5S

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
What do you think are the odds that he (or his rep) will reply? Haha

Very good actually. Never a personal response from him, but it is always forwarded to someone in the executive department and they are very good at replying and taking care of you.

How many replacements have you had?

alleggerita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Singapore
Very good actually. Never a personal response from him, but it is always forwarded to someone in the executive department and they are very good at replying and taking care of you.

How many replacements have you had?

It's gonna be my 3rd replacement soon but I have yet to collect it.

juviadoll

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2016
We have the same problem. I don't know where I got it but I'm very sure that I'm very careful with my phone but it still happens. It just magically appears.

potatopancakes

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2016
I have the same problem as well. had this phone since mid November last year and has kept it in a spigen ultra hybrid as well. @alleggerita may I know who you contacted to get the replacement? I'm in Singapore as well and I went to apple's official reseller but was dismissed as cosmetic damages. but the scratches are getting worse and worse.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 595
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 579
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 580
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 602

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
I have the same problem as well. had this phone since mid November last year and has kept it in a spigen ultra hybrid as well. @alleggerita may I know who you contacted to get the replacement? I'm in Singapore as well and I went to apple's official reseller but was dismissed as cosmetic damages. but the scratches are getting worse and worse.

I'm wondering if the case is a contributing factor as multiple people (using the case) are having problems?

garycoleman2

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010
It's because sometimes they don't rinse it off good enough after anodizing and some of the sulfuric acid still remains which eats the aluminum.

That's why whenever I buy a new phone that has anodized finish, I wash it with water myself.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Interesting. I can't believe I just read this whole thread. Hope everyone gets taken care of. I did learn some things though from the fanboys.

1. Sand can get in a case and break off edges of anodized aluminum up next to plastic antenna bands but not scratch the bands.

2. Multiple people are exposing their phones to acid that is tearing down the aluminum but not bothering the plastic or affecting their body.

3. Apple could not possibly make a mistake, no way it could be a processing defect.

Seriously though I think the person's assesment of the voids in the aluminum during casting are correct. Just as was said even machined aluminum starts out as castings. I have seen aluminum pistol frames, used to build pistols not coming on new ones, have these happen. Voids can happen, it's a reality and the only way to make sure what you are doing is not shipping with voids is to x-ray the items. Some places do and some do not.

It's pretty ridiculous to blame the owner for this and believe that there could not possibly be something that happened during manufacturing.

This is a tough forum if you post a problem, so many are brainwashed into believing apple is perfect. No company is perfect.

Last edited:

Chin Aguilar

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2016
Aluminium on my 6s Plus has been chipping on its own especially at the edges. It's appearing at the bottom of my phone all along the antenna band and now it's appearing at the top. It's also appearing around my pentalobe screw holes, lightning port and headphone jack.

I seriously think it's a manufacturing issue. Some problem with the 7000 series aluminium that's causing the edges of the aluminium to be very very easily chipped. I used my phone with a cover since Day 1 and yet this happened. I used my 6 Plus pretty much naked for the whole year and yet it hasn't chipped even though it has softer 6000 series aluminium.

Do any of you have this issue?
[doublepost=1463666348][/doublepost]
Aluminium on my 6s Plus has been chipping on its own especially at the edges. It's appearing at the bottom of my phone all along the antenna band and now it's appearing at the top. It's also appearing around my pentalobe screw holes, lightning port and headphone jack.

I seriously think it's a manufacturing issue. Some problem with the 7000 series aluminium that's causing the edges of the aluminium to be very very easily chipped. I used my phone with a cover since Day 1 and yet this happened. I used my 6 Plus pretty much naked for the whole year and yet it hasn't chipped even though it has softer 6000 series aluminium.

[doublepost=1463666517][/doublepost]

I have this kind of issue too :( But I only noticed it after 4 months. I'm in the Philippines but my iphone 6s plus was bought in Singapore. May I know who to contact?
[doublepost=1463667340][/doublepost]
I am starting to see some chip/corrosion on my Space Grey iPhone 6s Plus. Do you think I can still exchange it in the Apple Store? I got my iPhone since November 2015.

oh my! same phone, same problem :( Got mine last December 2015. I thought it was all dirt at first but then realized its corrosion. I'am in the Philippines but I bought the phone in Singapore. Don't know who to contact :(

n_hnam0711

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2016
I want to ask whether they have fixed it or not? iPhone manufactured in March 2016 or later doesnt seem to have this kind of issue, does they?

hafizuddin

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2016

i also faces this issue..i so shocked because i didint leave my phone naked..i use case a then i realise the chipping ..mine is gold colour

sammgdr24

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2016

[doublepost=1464093703][/doublepost]What happened to your phone? Did apple recognize the defect of the rose gold? I'm having the same issue now.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
[doublepost=1463666517][/doublepost]

I have this kind of issue too :( But I only noticed it after 4 months. I'm in the Philippines but my iphone 6s plus was bought in Singapore. May I know who to contact?
[doublepost=1463667340][/doublepost]

oh my! same phone, same problem :( Got mine last December 2015. I thought it was all dirt at first but then realized its corrosion. I'am in the Philippines but I bought the phone in Singapore. Don't know who to contact :(

Just call apple for wherever you are. I am in mexico and have called apple service mexico which is in costa rica for items bought in the us. They tell me to take it to the closest authorized service which then ships it to the us.

mayeetaness

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2016
At Glorietta 5. They approved my replacement. However, my unit is now two weeks old and i noticed the same issue again. I am seeing a chip on the bottom part (white edge).
Hi! May I ask what color is yours? Mine is Space Grey. You mean to say I have to call the toll number first before I can go to Glorietta? Thanks for answering

emxeeh

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2016
Philippines
Hi! May I ask what color is yours? Mine is Space Grey. You mean to say I have to call the toll number first before I can go to Glorietta? Thanks for answering
Mine is Rose Gold. Also, there is a dirt inside my camera lens :(. I noticed that after a day when I got my replacement :(
[doublepost=1464285110][/doublepost]
Yes, you need to call the toll free number first.

mayeetaness

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2016
Mine is Rose Gold. Also, there is a dirt inside my camera lens :(. I noticed that after a day when I got my replacement :(
[doublepost=1464285110][/doublepost]
Yes, you need to call the toll free number first.
Do you know if it is a brand new unit or a refurbished one? Can you also please send me the toll free number? Thanks

jedestayo

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2016
OMG. I HAVE THE EXACT SAME SITUATION.
CAN YOU LET ME HEAR WHAT ACTIONS APPLE TOOK IN YOUR CASE? IVE BEEN TRYING TO CONTACT THEM FOR A MONTH NOW.
[doublepost=1464444236][/doublepost]Guys from the philippines. What did you exactly do to make them replace it.
I had talked to an AASP in MARQUEE MALL PAMPANGGA and had declined and said they need to contact apple first. please I really need help

Attachments

• 13296130_1324995354181794_243529691_n (1).jpg
    13296130_1324995354181794_243529691_n (1).jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 356

emxeeh

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2016
Philippines
Do you know if it is a brand new unit or a refurbished one? Can you also please send me the toll free number? Thanks
1-800-1441-0234 (PLDT and
Smart Communications)
1-800-8908-8277 (Globe)

Toll-free phone number is for landlines. You may be charged when calling from a mobile phone.
[doublepost=1464515192][/doublepost]
OMG. I HAVE THE EXACT SAME SITUATION.
CAN YOU LET ME HEAR WHAT ACTIONS APPLE TOOK IN YOUR CASE? IVE BEEN TRYING TO CONTACT THEM FOR A MONTH NOW.
[doublepost=1464444236][/doublepost]Guys from the philippines. What did you exactly do to make them replace it.
I had talked to an AASP in MARQUEE MALL PAMPANGGA and had declined and said they need to contact apple first. please I really need help
You need to contact apple care.

mayeetaness

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2016
1-800-1441-0234 (PLDT and
Smart Communications)
1-800-8908-8277 (Globe)

Toll-free phone number is for landlines. You may be charged when calling from a mobile phone.
[doublepost=1464515192][/doublepost]
You need to contact apple care.
Thank you very much for the information! I will try calling them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.