iPhone 7 water resistance

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by giancoes, Feb 8, 2017.

1. giancoes macrumors member

giancoes

So I've had my iPhone 7 plus for a couple months now and I love it, but there is one thing i have been too scared to try out and that is the water resistance on the phone. My question is has anyone tried out just how water resistant is and what has been your experiences with it ?

2. DUIduckSAUCE macrumors 6502

DUIduckSAUCE

3. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Why do you want to test the water resistance?

Why not just leave it be?

4. blaine07 macrumors 65816

5. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Do you think Apple is lying about the water resistance?

6. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Got insurance or AppleCare+?

If no, don't do it.

7. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Or does the OP think maybe he got a dud?

Just leave it alone...ok?!

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Don't try it just to try it and see how water resistant it is.
    Use common sense and avoid getting it wet.
    Liquid damage is not covered so if it shorts out you're on your own.

9. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Why test it? I see water resistance like a bulletproof vest. It's nice to have protection, but I wouldn't shoot myself while wearing one just to prove that it works.

10. blaine07 macrumors 65816

He also asked a question implying he wanted feedback and to hear from the community; which he has received. Your post certainly didn't offer a plethora of advice The community replied in response to his question; that they hadn't tested and weren't willing.

11. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

You have to remember, the water resistance is strictly for accidental reasons. It's not made for intentional use or subjectivity for testing. It's strictly there for unfortunate mishaps.

12. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

My car has crumple zones, too, but I'm in no hurry to test that feature. :D

13. giancoes thread starter macrumors member

giancoes

Cause I used to have a lifeproof cover on my 6S and those have the same rating as the iPhone 7 does also i live on an island so I go to the beach all the time and it just gets me thinking about how well does the water resistance work.

14. daflake macrumors 6502a

It is not water proof. Mine has gotten wet from rain and survived, but I wouldn't push it past that.

15. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Well, then that settles it...plunge it under water.

Just know that if it does suffer damage that Apple won't do a thing about it.

So you still want to try? Or just leave it alone?

16. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Why would you try out water resistance? Its there incase something happens, not to play with.

17. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

Water resistance isn't made to just go putting it in water. It's made to help From tearing your phone up in the rain. Or Mabey accidentally dropping it in the toilet or something of that nature. It's not made to take in the shower with you or to experiment with it. Water resistant and water proof are 2 different things.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Seems like the OP is just asking for trouble if he tries to test it.

19. macTW Suspended

Really surprised how many people didn't read the OP's post. He didn't ask SHOULD he test it, but HAVE you and what was your experience?

As to be the first to correctly read and answer, OP. I have not, and I don't plan on it. I use my phone in the rain and no water damage has come from that, so I am comfortable with normal usage despite weather conditions.

20. johnmed, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017

johnmed macrumors member

My excited 5 year old son tested it for me (with my permission), within an hour of me buying it from Apple. That was release day.

Later that day I noticed the front facing speaker was distorted, but that fixed itself later that day.

Been absolutely fine since.

Had to be done to be honest!

Attached Files:

21. Gav.Winters macrumors member

For what it's worth I've used mine in the shower and it's been fine. I wouldn't submerge it but if Apple say it's water resistant and it turns out not to be I'd hope they'd replace it.

22. bufffilm, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Before you congratulate yourself on answering his question, I noted yesterday that he was asking others whether they tested the WR. That part wasn't worth commenting on, I felt.

And while I'm sure there are examples of the 7/+ passing thru the trial, it really doesn't prove anything...pro or con.

Apple has said they are not responsible if the phone fails. That is the important part of all this.

So while there are posts saying their phone passed, there are some saying it didn't for them. Do a search and you'll find them.

So the question for the OP is: Do you feel lucky? :)

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

Realistically the "correct" answers were already in many similar existing threads that were linked earlier.

24. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

He said that he's too scared to test out the water resistance. That, to me, implies that he wants to try.