Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Damstr

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2016
1-2 weeks on most models as of 9:19AM EST. I bet this will slip to 2-3 weeks by end of day for a majority of models especially the plus.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Except the iPhone 8 launched at 5pm in Australia and only now, almost 5 hours later, is the delivery starting to slip out to a mere 1-2 weeks on 1-2 models. Usually in Australia it slips to 1-2 weeks on all models in the first 15-30 seconds.

Oh, well then, I guess it's a confirmed flop after all!

Everyone, did you hear that? It hasn't sold out as fast in Australia as it usually does!

Seriously though, people complain that the supply was inadequate if you have to order in the first 30 seconds to get a launch day delivery, but when it's not like that it's a flop? Maybe, for once, Apple has actually produced sufficient supply of a product to meet a reasonable amount of demand? It's the definition of being a victim of their own success. People will consider any Apple launch a failure if people can actually buy the product when it goes on sale.

And it should pretty basic reasoning that we cannot judge how fast it's selling when we don't know the supply. We all know that the 8 is launching in the shadow of the X, so it's not going to be a record breaker, but Apple knows that too. It was planned that way.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Wrong. Apple iPhone 8 launched at 5pm in Australia. No slip in shipping times in Australia. It's a flop. Everyone's waiting for the X.

just because there was no slip in shipments doesn't mean its a flop... Apple could have plenty of inventory... this isn't a brand new design save for the glass so they have machines in place and schematics to mass produce this thing.

jaxbrah

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014
i have no clue on sales figures but it would stand to reason the 8 would underperform for a few reasons.

1. The X is out in a little over a month
2. The 8 isnt much of an upgrade even over the two year old 6. even if it were an S model it would be underwhelming

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I think a lot of people feel like how you do and are struggling to justify spending that much on the new phone. Either way they priced out too many people. That demand fever of people lining up to get the new iPhone is gone. They took their best free marketing tool and threw it in the garbage. Really weird.

Apple thought more people would buy the 5c. Lower that price analysts screamed. It backfired. People overwhelmingly bought the 5S. There's a lot on here that don't seem to understand Apple's market. They are, for the most part, high end. Whether they're getting the X because of looks, design, tech, or whatever. Apple dressed up the iphone 6 and calls it an iphone 8 but the market knows better.

That's not to say there aren't those out there focused on price. That's who the 8 is for. You can mention OLED to these people and they just shrug at you. 4K? Pfft. A11 processor? who cares..just tell me the price? That's not to say that all who buy the 8 don't appreciate specs. Just as not all who buy the X will either and instead only care about how it looks.

I know I only care about specs and latest tech. I want the X because of its screen (primarily) and front camera tech. This stuff doesn't mean much to many I know. There's many talking about how ugly the notch is. Pfft..I couldn't care less about it. It's pricier, but the resale is up as well. It's a wash and immaterial to me. If you're living paycheck to paycheck, and are already struggling in debt, I can understand being priced out.

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
But after watching the keynote, you only needed half a brain to realize Apple is flopping. Prices are insane, and offerings are laughable. It doesn't take much to fix it, but for now it looks like they're falling into a giant canyon without a parachute.

Im saving this post to revisit in a few months after Apple announces they sold 10s of millions of new iPhones.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
i have no clue on sales figures but it would stand to reason the 8 would underperform for a few reasons.

2. The 8 isnt much of an upgrade even over the two year old 6. even if it were an S model it would be underwhelming
How is the 8 not much of an upgrade? Just because it doesn’t look completely different aesthetically? That’s ridiculous. There’s not much you can do with form factors anymore so the changes are really coming from the inside. And the 6 is nowhere close to the 8 in terms of the hardware technology inside the device.

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Love this forum. All these curbside know-it-all’s. Why don’t we wait until it comes out and the numbers are posted?

Because this is a forum where you discuss things. Thats how humans talk to each other. You don't just wait for things to happen, you talk about them and what you think might happen.

I Need a Drink

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2013
I think Apple could not be happier with this. The reason: I believe it shows that most are holding out for the X. You are talking about a variable that has never existed before thus you can't look at it the same way. There is an alternative to the 2 new 8's which has never been the case before.

I don't agree with this. Let's just say, for the benefit of the doubt, that you are right and most are waiting for the X. Apple is not going to have enough production to meet initial demand of that phone, and it looks like they are not able to produce them in high enough quantities to sell anywhere close to what they sold in the same quarter as last year. If people are avoiding the 8 waiting on the X, Apple is going to have a pretty dismal quarter as they won't come close to previous year's sales with the limited supply of the X. That is going to play havoc on their stock because growth is about the only metric that Wall St. cares about. If the majority of your customers are waiting to buy something that you aren't able to sell them, that's bad.

The one good thing I see out of this is that maybe it will be the kick in the ass that Apple needs to stop selling us last year's, and the year before and the year before, stuff at today, and tomorrow's, prices.

Reactions: xmonkey

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
If product A makes 1 million units and sells 1 million exactly in the first day and product B makes 100 units and sells 1,000 exactly in the first day, is Unit A a flop and Unit B the hottest thing since sliced bread?

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

I don't agree with your second point. It's internals are the same as the X. Coming from a 6, it's a 3 generation step up in processor (with benchmarks that rival the Macbook Pro, if I'm not mistaken), much better camera (especially for the Plus), and either twice or three times the RAM depending on if you're talking about the regular or Plus respectively.

I Need a Drink

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2013
1-2 weeks on most models as of 9:19AM EST. I bet this will slip to 2-3 weeks by end of day for a majority of models especially the plus.

Where are you seeing that? With the exception of T-Mobile, almost everything on all the other carriers is still next Friday.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
How is the 8 not much of an upgrade? Just because it doesn’t look completely different aesthetically? That’s ridiculous. There’s not much you can do with form factors anymore so the changes are really coming from the inside. And the 6 is nowhere close to the 8 in terms of the hardware technology inside the device.

Historically, these are called S upgrades. Updating the guts and adding a feature like touch ID or in the current case, wireless charging. Same screen (although slightly improved but same res). Same design. Same rescaling. It's still worth an upgrade as we have done so in the past. But throw out an X phone with upgraded everything and it changes things.

I don't think the 8 will flop and who really cares if it does. It serves Apple's purposes.

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Isn't this expected? Not surprised at all. The better phone is coming out in a month and I suspect it will be the best selling iPhone even with the release of the 8 a month earlier.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
? New order of iPhone 8+ 64GB VZW is delivering next Friday as of right now

wborisenok

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
Boston, MA
I find it interesting that there are folks in here who are arguing against the idea that this has been an unimpressive launch day. There's really not much to argue - we all know how these days go every year. Within SECONDS of pre-order opening up, most (if not all) configurations are bumped out 1+ weeks past launch day. That is not the case for this launch. It IS different this year.

Now, the deciding factor will come on October 27th. Most are thinking that today's launch is a bad sign for the X preorder - everyone wants it. I'm not entirely convinced...I think there's a chance we could see a similar situation to today which would indicate that people are skipping out this year. We've never really seen such disappointment/backlash after an Apple event. It will be interesting to see how the 27th plays out.

Reactions: SaddleSC

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
How do we know when we have no idea what supply is compared to previous years?
Actually thanks to the internet its easy to see.

12:32AM orders were pushing into November.
Capto_Capture 2017-09-15_09-43-00_AM.png

Phonzoxd

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2013
I find it interesting that there are folks in here who are arguing against the idea that this has been an unimpressive launch day. There's really not much to argue - we all know how these days go every year. Within SECONDS of pre-order opening up, most (if not all) configurations are bumped out 1+ weeks past launch day. That is not the case for this launch. It IS different this year.

Now, the deciding factor will come on October 27th. Most are thinking that today's launch is a bad sign for the X preorder - everyone wants it. I'm not entirely convinced...I think there's a chance we could see a similar situation to today which would indicate that people are skipping out this year. We've never really seen such disappointment/backlash after an Apple event. It will be interesting to see how the 27th plays out.
Agree to a certain extent. Its not just the 8 and 8+ that is lacking interest. I think its the entire line up. The X will still porbbaly sell out though due to lack of inventory, but i dont think it'll break sales record. If it does it based on revenue and not sales unit.

Reactions: wborisenok

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Isn't this expected? Not surprised at all. The better phone is coming out in a month and I suspect it will be the best selling iPhone even with the release of the 8 a month earlier.

I probably won't be the best selling Iphone because of supple restraints, that is the only reason for the 8 and 8 plus exist, too help with the number of Iphones sold this year.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
This is all you need to know:
http://markets.businessinsider.com/stock/AAPL-Quote

Apple is up .5% in early trading which indicates a positive market response to early info/news on pre-orders. Need to keep an eye on it throughout the day.

edit: there’s no way this launch is a “flop” by any stretch - especially considering the staggered release of the 8/8+ and X, Apple will sell a ton of new phones

Last edited:

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012

Disappointment and backlash? From who? The X was pretty impressive. 4K apple tv was long coming. As was LTE watch. Last year was a yawn compared to this year. Hopefully there's many that feel as you do for no reason so the stock can fall a bit. I need to buy some more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.