Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Obligatory Fake/Real poll...

• Fake

Votes: 233 86.6%
  • Real

Votes: 36 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Has anybody posted this one here?

Kind of ugly and overly complex/busy, but fits the AppleBerry model rumoured a couple of months ago...

p964457546img_20050705T224159375.jpg

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
bittervictorian said:
How BAD the mobile service sounds in the States!!!!!! Unbelievable. You guys need Apple to start up some service to compete with the cr@p it sounds like you're getting! CDMA! Phones only available from certain service providers! Service providers interfering with the features/operating systems of your phones!
they don't have all thoes problems in australia? now im jealous..

i still have a year and a half on my Moto V276.. *scowls

change of plans.. screw the 18 months! im moving to sydney!

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
netdog said:
Kind of ugly and overly complex/busy, but fits the AppleBerry model rumoured a couple of months ago...

p964457546img_20050705T224159375.jpg
ack! both of my eyes just popped out like the pirate with the wooden eye... and now there on fire..

jlewis2k1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2005
in your closet
yankeefan24 said:
I am calling this one a fake. The camera would be very very small. Also, no S/N on the back (which Apple does on the iPod's), where's the battery compartment? They can't fit it under the keys/screen, with access from below or above. not enough room.

EDIT: I also agree with gekko on the placement of the camera.

well it is possible for apple to put the battery the same way they did the Remote just a larger battery and thinner... its possible, i mean look at the iPods.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Glassbathroom said:
In my experience the Apple products always look better than our best mock-ups.

I agree completely. Actually, I should add almost always.

I also hadn't seen this one before, dated July 2004 and making no pretenses of being anything other than a mockup.

picture_e_hiphone_r09c.jpg

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Obviously a fake (the perspective is really askew), but for someone who doesn't like sliding phones, there are things that I actually like about this one. Really can't stand the two-tone approach however. Would far rather see it in just white.

iphone-shot1-400.jpg

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
netdog said:
Obviously a fake (the perspective is really askew), but for someone who doesn't like sliding phones, there are things that I actually like about this one. Really can't stand the two-tone approach however. Would far rather see it in just white.
I like the sliding phone concept, and it really makes sense if Apple does have an iPhone in the works and wants to include both the clickwheel and a number key pad as "alternative input".

I'm currently in love with the Nokia 6111 design, and it feels so goood when you slide it open. :D
nokia-6111.jpg

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Borbarad said:
Is it a fake ? Maybe ....but: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v520U3vS2iI

:confused:

I'm thinking more of a Skype type phone like the one from Netgear.

B

Looks plausible to me.

As for the Skype phone, I would really hope that Apple's phone will have Wifi for VOIP. A battery burner, but obviously could be turned on and off as needed. Further, I would really hope that any Apple phone will either be able to run Skype or connect to Skype services. Right now, iChat is a dead end. If it connected to Skype, that would be a different matter altogether.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
Borbarad said:

B
wow that would be hard to fake... im starting to think that that is the one.. video pretty much has me convinced honestly. a bit long imho, but we'll get used to it :cool:

edit: i am starting to think that it might be a fake. in that video, they didnt' actually use it. also, the shape is a bit wierd, the shinyness is a bit odd, but i still think it might be real.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
virus1 said:
wow that would be hard to fake... im starting to think that that is the one.. video pretty much has me convinced honestly. a bit long imho, but we'll get used to it :cool:
No way, look at the screen and the shadows on the "buttons" in the video. It's just a nice printout on glossy paper wrapped around a remote or something.

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Borbarad said:

B

Take a closer look at the screen, it's obviously a sticker. Also, regarding this exclusivity for verizon, cingular etc. You need to consider that this phone needs to be marketed to the rest of the world, comparatively America really isn't that big a market for mobiles yet.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
As much as I would like to see a phone made by Apple, I just can't believe it will happen this year.

The iPod has no future in the long run, mobiles will take care of our needs. I guess Apple has to make a move at some point.

-tymmz

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
There is no way that Apple would have the SIM card inside the phone without it being user accessible. Its not going to happen. Forget it.

It is not going to be exclusive to one carrier ( and only the u.s )- that would lose, instantly, a lot of potential market for Apple. Any phone would absolutely have to be GSM to have the most impact, CMDA is not going to work, the European market is far larger than the u.s, and more advanced too. Even Apple wouldn't be that stupid, even though they are very u.s orientated - they wonder why they only have less than 50% non -u.s sales - a market very untouched.

Scruff

macrumors member
May 6, 2006
Can I put my Virgin SimCard in it to keep my number, and my phonebook?

It's all I care about. When Apple brings out a phone I'll get it, I trust them enough that it won't suck.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
bittervictorian said:
How BAD the mobile service sounds in the States!!!!!! Unbelievable. You guys need Apple to start up some service to compete with the cr@p it sounds like you're getting! CDMA! Phones only available from certain service providers! Service providers interfering with the features/operating systems of your phones!

Amen to that, sure we pay more for ours but geeze...

The US is way ahead of us in most technology but I think we have it all over them in mobile phones. Mind you Europe and Japan are light years ahead of us...

CDMA is just funny, that's the stuff we give to the folks way out in the scrub and even then it's not all that good.

If I want a certain phone it's generally available from all the service providers, it's very rare that a phone will be exclusive. Then I just choose what type of plan is offered with it (there are usually a few per telco). Or, buy the phone outright and use it however I wish.

And having your phone's UI altered by the telco at the basic level (my phone has some menu items specific to Optus but that's at the SIM card level) is just ludicrous.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
virus1 said:
the lack of serial #s and legal junk on the back is what caught me first.

I've never had a phone with serial numbers and legal crap on the back. It's always been under the battery.

One thing that strikes me as weird, is providers like their phones customized. Like phones sold through Cingular need that orange jack button which takes you to their internet thingy. They want the firmware branded with their name all over the place, etc. And those sound like something Apple won't do. If they make a phone and it's sold through a provider, I wonder how they'll handle that.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
virus1 said:

edit: i am starting to think that it might be a fake. in that video, they didnt' actually use it. also, the shape is a bit wierd, the shinyness is a bit odd, but i still think it might be real.

Its a fake alright, the whole think looks as if it has been made with cardboard! the screen was the same mattness as the rest of the body!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.