Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Definitely getting iphone X. The iphone 8 plus looks like the iphone 6SSS plus model still boasting the same low res screen rescaling bs. I only went with iphone 7 plus (over 6S plus) because of speakers and better water resistance both of which were significant to me.

I honestly see no real reason why anyone would be excited to upgrade from an iphone 7 plus to an iphone 8 plus. Wireless charging? That's cute but not earth changing. Cameras have been more than good enough. Glass casing? Not sure that's even an upgrade. Same RAM. Processor a bit faster but the 7 isn't struggling. It's almost an insult to call these phones iphone 8.

OLED. That's the only reason to buy a new one. The concern is first gen issues and what Apple really intended will be out in 2018. Face ID really feels like Apple scrambling for a compromise. It will be interesting to see how they present it. This isn't like saying you don't need old tech (headphone jack). They had to drop a popular feature (touch ID) because they couldn't figure out how to incorporate it. Let's hope this compromise doesn't bite Apple later.

Reactions: 5105973

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Yes. I have an iPhone 7 and never had any issues due to low RAM. I never kill my web pages just add a new one. The extra RAM in the 7s is because of the camera, nothing else. 7 doesn't have the fancy camera so doesn't need the extra RAM. Pretty easy to understand. It's like people complaining Honda Civic have 16" tires when the Pilot Touring has 20".
[doublepost=1505128958][/doublepost]

The lens doesn't use RAM but it does take more horsepower to process those photos.

From my 7:

Attachments

• IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 122

Fiachers

Suspended
Dec 27, 2016
Haha. Please just use now a 6 plus and see how poor it performs.

Back in the days it had constant safari reloads and now its slower than a 5. This is just 3 years for a $900 phone.

Exactly. Seriously, my iPhone 6 is just crap now. I can't go from Facebook to Safari and back again without either of them reloading, I'm sick of it. And Safari takes forever to load now. It's reminding me of the final months of my iPhone 4 which I got rid of in 2015 for the iPhone 6.

I'd bet that 2GB in the iPhone 8 would result in the same problem after the same fairly short amount of time.

Ortiz7983

Suspended
Aug 6, 2012
When someone sees X, you are thinking it would have that extra something or that XFactor that makes you amazed. Its just a letter but it's more mysterious. Behind that mystery, you expect something more. Just saying......and I said "at least 4 GB ram".

At this point, the best thing Apple can do for the iPhone X is have ProMotion as a feature otherwise it's not that special compared to what's out their on the market. Im not thinking about that 10th anniversary crap and yes I know X stands for 10.
Well yeah but it could also mean "10" and not "Xfactor".

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Who cares what the specs inside. Time and again benchmarks have shown that the iPhone will lesser RAM outperforms other phones with far greater RAM thanks to the integration between hardware and OS.

It's like complaining that the Porsche 911 does a faster lap time than a Camaro even though the Porsche has less horsepower. In the end, does the lower horse power really matter if it still results in better lap times?

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Now that it's reported that an Apple employee sent the information to MacRumors and 9to5Mac I think we can dispense with this idea that Apple corporate intentionally leaked this. I also suspect that employee will be fired (and probably sued as it's a big time breach of their employee agreement). And that employee may be the source of many other previous leaks. So I suspect next year information will be harder to come by. I bet Apple will change their procedures now that they've seen where this weak link in their internal chain exists.

Reactions: Azzin and ErikGrim

Romy90210

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2013
2GB of ram in 2017 ??? Jajajajajajajajjjajajajjajajajajajjajjajja Apple is killing the game.. lol

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
I see a contention, but no evidence. Many are reporting that the 5s and 6 run the latest iOS 11 well. There are a few frame drops but that’s true of even the 7+ and will be resolved for all of these devices over the coming weeks. It’s an unfortunate side effect of an annual release for sure but I will 100% stand by statement that the 5s and up will run ios 11 completely smoothly. You can call me on it.

Are you willing to pay for it if it doesn't pan out that way?
My thoughts exactly. iOS 10.3.3 runs well on the iPad Pro 10.5 and iPad mini 4. I use the device to read, browse, watch videos and some times draw. The new features in iOS 11 are nice but I will hardly touch those feature for it a worthy upgrade if it slows down the device. I think as long as I stay with the curroios 19.3.3 I hope I will be fine.

Just a heads up that you'll pretty much be forced to iOS11 with their constant badgering to download and install it. There will always be the red dot and pop ups often to do so.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
what do you guys mean? Those measurements are a physical measurement and 5.8”’ is physically bigger than 5.5” because... it’s a bigger number??

Do you mean the physical size of the device?

We won't know exactly until we get the devices, but the length of a diagonal is not a measure of area if the aspect ratio is different. Based on the leaked info, and because of the narrower aspect ratio, the screen on the 5.8 will be very slightly smaller than the screen on the 5.5 (there is also the notch to account for).

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
All I want is matte borders and matte glass. IF apple would surprise us with that I would be happy. Everything else I am excited for (except for lack of touch id)

rpe33

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
From my 7:

Wow, I never even knew that little popup existed and I've been using iPhones for 8 years now. Apple has shown time and time again they don't need 6GB of RAM on their phones. 2GB is more than enough for anything you can throw at it.

Reactions: navier

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Apple's design philosophy has gone from "user first" and "ease of use" to "change for the sake of change". Its idiotic and irritating.

Reactions: navier

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
If the issue with RAM is that it decreases battery life, why can't chips be disabled in software based on battery status. That way you can use more RAM if you need it. How can these devices be seen as computers if they can't handle a normal number open browser tabs and apps?

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Definitely getting iphone X. The iphone 8 plus looks like the iphone 6SSS plus model still boasting the same low res screen rescaling bs. I only went with iphone 7 plus (over 6S plus) because of speakers and better water resistance both of which were significant to me.

I honestly see no real reason why anyone would be excited to upgrade from an iphone 7 plus to an iphone 8 plus. Wireless charging? That's cute but not earth changing. Cameras have been more than good enough. Glass casing? Not sure that's even an upgrade. Same RAM. Processor a bit faster but the 7 isn't struggling. It's almost an insult to call these phones iphone 8.

OLED. That's the only reason to buy a new one. The concern is first gen issues and what Apple really intended will be out in 2018. Face ID really feels like Apple scrambling for a compromise. It will be interesting to see how they present it. This isn't like saying you don't need old tech (headphone jack). They had to drop a popular feature (touch ID) because they couldn't figure out how to incorporate it. Let's hope this compromise doesn't bite Apple later.

well you could say OLED is just a different screen, and Apple has had great LCD screens up to now, so whats the big deal about going to OLED?

The 7-8 is likely more driven by a design change - doesn't have to have a certain number of new features to qualify

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.