Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Apple's design philosophy has gone from "user first" and "ease of use" to "change for the sake of change". Its idiotic and irritating.

Agree in part, but certainly last year's iPhone 7 was not change for the sake of change. It was barely any change at all. The iPhone X does represent positive change IMHO. A 5.8" screen in the package of the 4.7" iPhone is tremendous. The plus's case is too big for my hands. Also looking forward to the inductive charging.

What I don't like is when Apple starts changing where controls are or how things work in OS X and iOS and also not making iOS controls uniform between iPhone and iPad versions.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
2 GB on the iPhone 8 is lame. The iPhone 8 is the iPhone 6 of this generation. I am so glad we passed on the 6 and got double the RAM with the 6s. I find it hilarious (but not unexpected) that two years later it’s still stuck at 2 GB RAM. The 3 GB on the likely very high dollar iPhone X is also disappointing (but again not unexpected)

We will stick with our 2 GB 6s and 3 GB 7 Plus. It now seems almost guaranteed that September 2018 will bring a RAM boost. It will be interesting to see if they get 4 GB all around, if they go 3 GB for the smaller model and 4 GB for the bigger.

why are you basing a value judgement on how much ram it has? Hasn't apple shown time and again that ios doesn't need anywhere near as much ram as Android? 2GB should be fine for something with the same resolution as the 6s/7

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I was initially just going to stick with the SE, but then I realized it is the longest I have owned a phone (2 years without change), so the "x" will probably last at least that long. Nothing is wrong with the SE, but the screen is definitely dated.

What are we thinking? Sold out within 2 minutes of going live?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
why are you basing a value judgement on how much ram it has? Hasn't apple shown time and again that ios doesn't need anywhere near as much ram as Android? 2GB should be fine for something with the same resolution as the 6s/7
Actually, Apple has shown time and again that they scrimp on RAM and compensate for that by killing apps too often. App reloads are irritating.

That’s why it’s usually smarter to buy the first iteration of a new RAM tier than the last iteration of an old RAM tier.

The iPhone 6 vs 6s is a prime example of this. The 2 GB of the 6s with iOS 9 in 2015 was decent. In 2017 with iOS 11, not so much, for a brand new high dollar phone.

BTW, I never once mentioned Android. Not once.

Last edited:

tipoo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017
2 still feels fine on my 7, but with lowering power requirements I was rooting for 4 in the X at least, for future proofing. RAM always feels like enough at launch, until one day it suddenly doesn't.

Reactions: 5105973 and EugW

Chicane-UK

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2008
So is it the distorted screen, inability to keep apps in memory compared to an iPhone with half or less of the memory, the inaccessible fingerprint sensor, or the lack of meaningful updates that really impress you?

Less snarkily, what is it you think is especially impressive about them?

Indeed.. it doesn't need to be a snarky discussion.

Having not even used Android in about 4 years, I can't comment on features but just in terms of look and feel, I find my friends S7 Edge has a real premium feel about it that my iPhone 7 simply does not. Just to look at it purely objectively and say "which looks best" I think the S7 Edge/S8 has the upper hand. Think the screen looks sharper too again though that's only with limited hands on time.

In terms of overall performance, the S8 got more than enough extremely decent reviews so the quality of the product is not in question.

Reactions: jamesrick80

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Haha. Please just use now a 6 plus and see how poor it performs.

Back in the days it had constant safari reloads and now its slower than a 5. This is just 3 years for a $900 phone.
Oh please. I have a 6 Plus and my wife has a 5. The 5 is definitely slower at everything. The 6 Plus should’ve had 2GB RAM at least, that I’ll admit, but it’s still no slouch especially on iOS 11. It got a noticeable speed boost when Apple switched to APFS in iOS 10.3 and runs smoother on 11. I’m happy.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Wow, I never even knew that little popup existed and I've been using iPhones for 8 years now. Apple has shown time and time again they don't need 6GB of RAM on their phones. 2GB is more than enough for anything you can throw at it.

???

so my experience doesn't matter because your experience has been different?

and to clear some things up:

-I don't edit 4k movies or anything else that people might consider excessively demanding. I barely even use multiple tabs in safari (and this was in safari).

-I'm not actually advocating for more ram, I just want my phone to work. My experience with both the 6 and 7 have been a frustrating increase in things freezing, glitching, crashing or simply ceasing to work until I have to reset or restore. It gets exhausting.

-I've also been using iPhones for 8 years, if that is some sort of qualification to have a concern.

Reactions: bt311

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
At this point should we even go through the charade of sitting through a keynote? Just cancel the whole thing and issue a press release with pre-order details :D

True, but it has been this way for a while now. I cannot remember the last surprise to come out of a keynote. As soon as things go into production all hope of a surprise are lost.

Reactions: bigjnyc

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
well you could say OLED is just a different screen, and Apple has had great LCD screens up to now, so whats the big deal about going to OLED?

The 7-8 is likely more driven by a design change - doesn't have to have a certain number of new features to qualify

Umm..ok. You probably just need to move on..lol

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Samsung user: "dude, you got 2gb ram? That's a lot man!"

Apple user: "isnt it beast?"

Samsung user: "yeah..it's a beast. Unfortunately i have 6gb ram on my note 8. It sucks!"

Coming soon to the nearest theater...the sequel of "dude, where's my car?"
....new movie "dude, where's my rams?"

So far the only superiority that an Android phone has had is that the amount of RAM is larger. That advantage hasn't resulted in faster performance or allowed more tasks to be open, at least when tested by 3rd party companies who have no reason to skew things toward Apple.

That may not be true this time, but I'll wait for independent evaluation before criticizing this situation.

Compote

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2016
Apple’s never had a problem with ram. Their phones outperform every single android phone. See note 7 vs iphone 7+ And every other comparison video.
I read that snapdragon is just now catching up to apple A9 chip in single processing power. Not worried.
[doublepost=1505105077][/doublepost]

The note 8 has 6gb of ram. I’m willing to bet that the new generation iphones will outperform it.

Wrong, though. Apple has a big problem with ram, as any owner of 1GB ram iPhones and iPads will tell you.
iOS 10 and 11 don't work the way they're supposed to without strong ram backup.

That leaves former models in the dust, while Apple still pretends that they're not obsolete. iPad Mini 2 running under iOS 11 beta 10 is simply useless. I won't be updating my iPhone 6, neither the software nor the hardware. 2GB is ridiculous. 3GB is unimpressive, and for the price would you not rather have the true new iPhone ? I can't afford the real new model, and I'd resent paying full price for the inferior "superior" phone.

The proliferation of models and screen sizes makes the whole range look bad. 7, 7P, 8, 8P are filler because Apple couldn't have reasonable expectations for the feasability of their üBerPhone last year.

shplock

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2015
Somewhere in a Galaxy far far away
They come to an Apple rumours site and then act disappointed when they see rumours / leaks. I mean.. what do they expect. If they don't want to spoil the keynote then stay the hell away from this site for as long as possible on the run up to the keynote!
[doublepost=1505115258][/doublepost]

I know this is an Apple-centric site but.. seriously.. Samsung make some pretty awesome handsets regardless of where your brand loyalties lie. I personally wouldn't buy one - I've no interest in Android + all their stuff dumped on top, not to mention now this Bixby nonsense but for plenty of people they're fantastic handsets.

Just because I go to the cinema and stand in line it doesn't mean some idiot gets to spoil the movie for me by telling me what happened.

Reactions: dantracht

lsmith1981

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2009
Apple’s never had a problem with ram. Their phones outperform every single android phone. See note 7 vs iphone 7+ And every other comparison video.
I read that snapdragon is just now catching up to apple A9 chip in single processing power. Not worried.
[doublepost=1505105077][/doublepost]

The note 8 has 6gb of ram. I’m willing to bet that the new generation iphones will outperform it.

I'm a android power user, and I totally agree with this. I believe the overall problem is Samsung's touch wiz that's layered on top of the stock OS itself. Overtime that feature slows everything down.

curtvaughan

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2016
Austin, TX
Do you have a birthday? If so, you are a prime example of planned obsolescence. I have some nice wired headphones that Apple wants to be obsolete; fortunately, they work just fine with my 6S+ and my Android phone. When I'm ready to replace my headphones in a few years, if wireless sound technology is up to par and wireless headphones still have replaceable batteries, perhaps I'll look at iPhones again. Interestingly, I've noticed that now that iPhones have gone through a generation without sound jacks, hardly anyone on this forum complains about it anymore. I wonder if that's because Apple was correct in thinking that customers no longer wanted/needed wired sound, or that the ones who did no longer buy iPhones and no longer care?

Last edited:

kingvwardhana

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2017
My question is where did people get these leaks from? Like seriously, if we're talking from the company (Apple) point of view, these leaks might not be acceptable or else some people did this in purpose to lit up the "hype" of the unreleased products.
Anyway, I'm really looking forward on the new screen design and the Face ID feature! X

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
fragmentation. Still don't understand the ongoing differences between the Plus and normal outside of size.

BeamWalker

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
Given what the 4.7" models lack in features they should be at least $200 cheaper than the Plus.

Compote

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2016
From iPhone 6 through to my 7 Plus I’ve ever thought “I wish I had more RAM”.

Because you did. Get more RAM. Considerably more. Duh.
What's more, you didn't have to stick with your 6 in 2017.
The 6 has slowed down under iOS 10. Stutters, hickups, refreshes... It's not hell but it's not an oil massage either.

Reactions: macfacts

curtvaughan

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2016
Austin, TX
What exactly was it you were doing? I mean if you were trying to edit a 30 min 4K video, yes, that will happen. But that isn't normal iPhone usage either.

That also doesn't necessarily mean it's due to the 7 only having 2GB RAM. It could be a memory leak in on of your apps.
The file size was 37 KB in the photo provided. Don't know the other details, but most likely it wasn't a 30 minute 4K video the person was dealing with.
[doublepost=1505138244][/doublepost]
True, but it has been this way for a while now. I cannot remember the last surprise to come out of a keynote. As soon as things go into production all hope of a surprise are lost.
I think the last surprise was around ten years ago.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I’m amused. The leaks are saying that the 4K Apple TV will get 3 GB RAM. As in 50% more RAM than the iPhone 8.

My question is where did people get these leaks from? Like seriously, if we're talking from the company (Apple) point of view, these leaks might not be acceptable or else some people did this in purpose to lit up the "hype" of the unreleased products.
Way back when in the era of the G5, I broke the news of the quad version.

http://everythingapple.blogspot.ca/2005/03/chud-tools-reveal-apples-970mp-quad.html?m=1

I was already looking at these things but somebody out of the blue anonymously pointed me in the right direction. Still don’t know who that was.

Reactions: macfacts
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.