Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Update: So Last week I did the Reset Network Setting. It was fine over the weekend after being fully charged. Today, I placed my phone on my wireless charging Pad and after fully charged, I remove it, let it sit for 15 minutes of doing nothing and I see the Usage and standby time the same. Not sure what's going on, I put my phone on airplane mode and let it sit for couple of minutes, usage and standby time aren't the same anymore. So I then disable the airplane mode and noticed that the usage time is going up same time as the standby time. Clearly there's something wrong in the network.

I don't think calibrating the battery would help fix this issue if it clearly shows that there's something going on. Clearly putting my phone airplane mode and letting it sit resolves this issue, but then disabling the airplane mode, issue comes back. So clearly it's something in the cellular data or network issue.

Last edited:

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Yet another update: Resetting Network Setting does help resolve this issue but this is something I shouldn't have to do on every time I have to charge my phone.

PlayboyJoe

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2018
I know this might have been posted here a gazillion times but I haven't found one for the X, which I assumed would not have this problem by now.

My problem is what my thread title states. This started happening just a couple of days ago and I don’t recall doing anything different since. Rebooted my phone a couple of times and it gotten better on the last reboot but after letting it sit overnight last night, it still indicated usage close to the standby time. Checked all apps being used and nothing significant showing.

I now reset my Network Settings and hoping for a better outcome.

Oh, and my phone was acquired on launch day.

Anybody really knows what’s goin on?

I had the same problem with iOS 11.2.1 installed on my X, what solved this problem for me was to disable WhatsApp background app refresh.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
So I did the battery calibration and it worked for about a week. Today the usage and standby times are the same once again. I’m now beginning to think this is a hardware issue.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
So I did the battery calibration and it worked for about a week. Today the usage and standby times are the same once again. I’m now beginning to think this is a hardware issue.
I don't think it's hardware, but you can always take it to the Apple store and have them run a diagnostic test if you think it's hardware.

I had this issue before but it's definitely NOT battery calibration issue as draining the battery till phone shuts off and full charging it only calibrates the accuracy. I haven't even drained my battery yet and I don't plan on doing this.

Last Wednesday I had this same issue and I did another reset network settings, which fixed the issue. So far, it's been one week and I just charged it to full this morning and so far, this issue hasn't come back yet. So far so good.

Have you tried restoring your device and set it up as new? Does the problem still persist? If so then possibly Hardware.

I've had this issue before on my 8 Plus and X as well and often times I was able to fix the issue.

Risonanza78

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2015
I’ m beginning crazy, this issue there is always in my iPhone X, after soft rest every thing all right, but after 1 or 2 days it’come back as always.
Genius bar after disgnosis Say me, that my batterie and iPhone x are perfect.
I belive that last chance is recovey mode, or we are waiting new update.

acmfaxxe

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2017
Yesterday i closed all apps and did a Hardrest (Buttoncombination). So far every thing seems fine. No same time and the battery drain is better. Tryed a Hardreset allready?

Edit. Since the Hardreset my X is also cooler.

Last edited:

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
I’ m beginning crazy, this issue there is always in my iPhone X, after soft rest every thing all right, but after 1 or 2 days it’come back as always.
Genius bar after disgnosis Say me, that my batterie and iPhone x are perfect.
I belive that last chance is recovey mode, or we are waiting new update.

I think the most likely culprit is a rogue app. Maybe you have an app on your phone that every time you open it and even close it afterwards, it still stays alive in the background and continues to drain your battery. What you can do is this:

1. Close all your apps from the task switcher
  2. Soft reset your phone
  3. Keep the phone turned off
  4. Plug the charger in
  5. Let the phone startup
  6. Let it charge till 100% so your battery usage monitor will show your Usage and Standby times
  7. Don't start any apps
  8. Unplug your phone and just don't play with it
  9. Check to see if Standby went up after a while and see if Usage remains different
  10. Then start using your phone like normal and keep checking your Usage and Standby
  11. When you start to see your Usage numbers going up quickly or after a recharge to 100% you see that Usage and Standby are the same, quickly check the Battery Usage per app for the last 24 hours
  12. One of these apps that has been used in the past 24 hours is probably the cause of your issue
  13. Repeat this process and do not open one specific app of the list
  14. If the Standby and Usage are still the same after a couple of days, repeat the process and choose another app to not open and continue till you find out which app is causing this

It sounds like a lot of work, but you can just use your phone like normal, monitor it and not try and use a certain app. It most probably is an app you do not use daily, but still use and maybe it's not from a very big company as it's badly programmed.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Has yet to come back for me, since I started the thread. But from what I gather here, some have reset network settings and it has come back for a few people. Others have done what I did and recalibrated the battery and that also has come back for others.

I don’t feel this is a hardware issue, not with the amount of users experiencing the same issue. It screams software bug imo.

Don’t believe it’s a “rouge app” either. I have less than 30 apps on my device, most which are stock. And I still had the issue.

mikeruoc

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
I agree!
Thinking of installing 11.2.5 and see what happens.

Has yet to come back for me, since I started the thread. But from what I gather here, some have reset network settings and I has come back for a few people. Others have done what I did and recalibrated the battery and that also has come back for others.

I don’t feel this is a hardware issue, not with the amount of users experiencing the same issue. It screams software bug imo.

acmfaxxe

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2017
Yes. Lets wait for the next iOS 11 update or maybe iOS 12. Did you guys tried a Hardreset?

acmfaxxe

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2017
Ok then lets report this bug periodic to Apple.

For the case it is a App (what i dont think because the problem is on „clean“ iPhone also?). Non Stock Apps on my X:

Facebook Messenger
SoundCloud
Juris
HVV
Youtube
SPON
Spotify
GoogleMap
RegenRadar
Chrome
Twitter
DB Navigator
WhatsApp
Shazam
Fitness Point
Ikea Place

Last edited:
Reactions: iapplelove

vin1717

macrumors member
May 21, 2015
Brooklyn, NY
This issue keeps popping up for me every 2 weeks or so. I have done hard resets and reset network settings, both fix the issue temporarily but it ultimately comes back. I do notice the battery drains significantly faster when it is happening too. I really don’t want to wipe and set up as new, way too time consuming. I’m looking for any possible solution to avoid that route. Needless to say I am getting frustrated now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dhruvo

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Of the people having this issue, did you restore an iCloud backup to your X when setting it up? I set up my X as a new device (nice clean way to start the new year) and haven’t had this issue.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
Of the people having this issue, did you restore an iCloud backup to your X when setting it up? I set up my X as a new device (nice clean way to start the new year) and haven’t had this issue.
My device was set up as new and I still have the issue. All of these fixes are just temporary, and I’ve tried them all.

acmfaxxe

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2017
I also set it up as a new device and sometimes had the issue. since a Hardreset für 2 days all seems fine....

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut

set up as new as well.

Haven't had the issue this week though. who knows.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
I hope that Apple is aware of this. These patches only last about a week or two and I’m tired of keeping track of it. I’m tempted to download the beta software and see if that helps.

Reactions: Dhruvo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.