iPhone X Bumper?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by vitog123, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

just got my rhinoshield mod yesterday. preordered on their website. will post a picture later and do a review on my channel for those that are interested. but first impression, its quite slippery. I dont have crashguard but it looks a bit slimmer. its very easy to pop the phone in and when rest on the table, the camera hump does not touch the surface. about 1 or 2 mm of lip over the front screen so for those who sets phone face down will be fine. there is a very tiny amount of play when you squeeze the sides with the phone in it, but thats to be expected of any non metal bumper. let me know if anyone is interested in seeing the review since not sure I can post a youtube link to my own channel on here.

2. jev425 macrumors 6502

jev425

Definitely want to see some pics!

3. Cremerhm macrumors 6502

Would like some pictures and would like to know if it gets less slippery after a while. Is it possible for you to say something about the thickness/bulkyness compared to the Apple Silicon Case?

4. Jaggrey macrumors 6502a

Jaggrey

Ditto!! Mine finally shipped. Well it said it shipped, I haven’t received a tracking number yet.

5. jev425 macrumors 6502

jev425

Did you order a different backplate other than the clear one it comes with? I want to order the carbon one but that seems to be backordered a few weeks

6. Stylnator macrumors member

I ordered one with the carbon backplate and it just shipped, I can post when it comes

7. Jaggrey macrumors 6502a

Jaggrey

Seriously?? I preordered the carbon fiber backplate but they kept telling me it was delayed so I eventually just switched it to the clear one.

8. Stylnator macrumors member

I ordered it on Oct. 28th if that helps, I emailed them several times about fulfilling my order and they just said they had a lot of orders to process.

I also ordered a slickwraps skin to see if I just want to do only bumper + skin so I may end up just send the carbon fiber backplate back. I just ordered it b/c it looked pretty tbh

9. blackjackmark macrumors 6502

I got the Crashguard bumper as well. It’s definitely slicker than the one I had on my 7+. I guess if o drop it, it’s protected though?

One other difference is the side button does not seem to stick out as much as on the 7+, and not even as much as the volume buttons, so it’s sometimes hard to find it. Also as a landmark, it’s not as useful to determine by feel which way the phone is oriented. I’ve got a Rhinoshield Mod arriving today as well, do it’ll be interesting to see and feel the differences between the two.

10. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

LRG__DSC0746.jpg LRG__DSC0749.jpg LRG__DSC0751.jpg I got the mod in blue and ordered an additional white rim to contrast the blue. think it looks pretty good. looks a bit purple in the pics cause of my lighting.

11. andy769 macrumors member

Looks great! I would love to see the youtube video, post it up when its done

12. blackjackmark macrumors 6502

I definitely agree about the slipperiness, but it’s actually a little less slippery than the Rhinoshield Crashguard. It is actually slightly thicker than the Crashguard, as the thickness is a little greater to allow for the backplate. Agreed about the play when you squeeze the sides, but the Crashguard does not exhibit the same “play” that the Mod does.

Overall I like the Crashguard better than the Mod, (even though it’s a little more slippery) and would recommend it if you just want a bumper and don’t care about a backplate or the camera lens functionality they offer. If you do want the backplate, then the Mod is pretty good.

13. darrinS macrumors 6502

darrinS

That looks great. I’m kinda sorry I ordered black. If I like it enough I might just order another in blue.

14. Jaggrey macrumors 6502a

Jaggrey

I placed my order on Oct. 7th I believe. I guess I should have just stuck it out, but I wanted it before I traveled for Thanksgiving. Oh well.... I guess I can always order it separately.

That looks slick. Really nice . What back did you get for it? Or is this the Crashguard? I’ve got a blue coming in also.

15. pnmd macrumors newbie

Ranvoo aluminum bumper case...pretty cool minimal case. Comes with glass back protector.

Front aluminum lip does not go above screen ie no protection for front screen. I do have a front glass screen protector. Buttons are very responsive and tactile.

Aesthetically looks great for those wanting minimal look and feel :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0773D43XC

DSC08279.jpg

DSC08272.jpg

DSC08270 copy.jpg

16. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

ducatiti

17. nikster0029 macrumors 6502a

nikster0029

I like how it allows for proper swiping up gestures

18. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

Has anyone tried the Utomic metal bumper for the iPhone X? It looks really nice.

19. Cremerhm macrumors 6502

So the rhino mod is more bulky than the rhino crashguard?

I would like the slimmest less bulky bumper... Which one do I need

20. blackjackmark macrumors 6502

The Crashguard is marginally slimmer. Doubtful that one could tell the difference though unless you had them side by side. But go with the Crashguard if you want the absolute smallest, yet protective, bumper.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 16, 2017 ---
    The Mod is changeable from a bumper to having a backplate. All pieces are included in the purchase so you can swap back and forth if you choose. If you put it in bumper configuration there are no ridges. But if you only want a bumper, then I’d recommend the Crashguard instead. It’s slightly smaller.

21. Jaggrey macrumors 6502a

Jaggrey

That’s interesting. I thought everything I had heard said the Mod was smaller because of the new materials they were using.

22. walds11 macrumors 6502a

The Mod is more refined, but dimension wise, it’s similar to the CrashGuard. The Mod is marginally thicker depth wise to accommodate the insert and backplate.

23. kingston73 macrumors 6502a

kingston73

That's what I thought as well, maybe they used the new materials in the crashguard and made it smaller than previous generations?

24. Outrigger, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017

Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

This is the mod. It comes with a clear back if you want to use it as a case as opposed to a bumper, or you can purchase additional back plate with various designs. I don't have anything on the back as I'm using it as a bumper only.
    the mod can be used as bumper style or case style. if you use it as a bumper style it comes with a rim that reinforces the bumper. its the white trim that you can see on the back of the phone. the rim piece it comes with is the same color as the bumper, but I purchased an additional one in white since I wanted to contrast against the blue bumper. it also comes with a clear back, so you would take out the rim and put the back on and use it like a traditional case. you can also purchase additional backs with various designs. hope this answers your question.
    that looks really good and thin. is it really slippery? I do prefer a metal bumper since it has the advantage of rigidity, but they are usually expensive and when you drop it on a rough surface it usually leave nasty looking scuffs.

I have also preordered the dbrand grip on kickstarter from a link someone posted on here as it looks really nice and looks to provide a much better grip. but it won't be shipping til the end of Jan at the earliest.

25. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

ducatiti

Mod seems a lot more compact based on the pictures and videos. Thanks for clarifying guys.