Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
Ok, just back from my try on at the Apple store in Norwich (UK) and one thing has struck me! This thing looks huge in photos, in real life its Not!! I have 170mm wrists and despite the photos looking BIG on my wrist in real life, it's perfect, not big at all! You guys need to see this thing in real life!!!

Tried on loads of different styles and the clear winner without a doubt is.....

The Milanese Loop! Just beautiful

Thank you for sharing. Posts like this (you are one of several saying the same thing) are making me feel more confident about going with the 42mm...

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX

Me with the 38mm Sport edition at Covent Garden (no appointment either).

So for me personally, it's fine and really comfy.

Saw quite a few people trying on the 42mm, then the 38 and they were more happier with the 38 in relation to their wrists.

Basically, it's all down to personal preference.

Just to clarify, there is no "boys" version, no "girls" version, just different sized watches.

Very nice. I like this a lot. Not too noisy, subtle enough to look very sleek.

djrm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
Norwich, UK
good morning. Had a quick question about your time with the watches this morning. Did you notice any issue with the bands sliding out of the watch case? I've seen a few pix that show the band not sitting as flush as it could be in the watch case and was curious if it's susceptible to sliding or just user error.

Thank you and great pix/post as well.

Didn't spot this on any version I saw or tried on. Seemed sold, well built and premium. The screen is gorgeous to look at too!

Nmeyrick

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2015
good morning. Had a quick question about your time with the watches this morning. Did you notice any issue with the bands sliding out of the watch case? I've seen a few pix that show the band not sitting as flush as it could be in the watch case and was curious if it's susceptible to sliding or just user error.

Thank you and great pix/post as well.

I tried on sport, milanese, leather loop and traditional leather. On all of them the band for was flush and felt solid - I would guess that the pics we have seen were of incorrectly fitted bands

Elzbeth

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2015
Melbourne, Australia

Saw quite a few people trying on the 42mm, then the 38 and they were more happier with the 38 in relation to their wrists.

Just to clarify, there is no "boys" version, no "girls" version, just different sized watches.

I agree this looks fantastic on you! So why when I was wearing the exact same band (I'm female with 145mm wrists...see earlier pic) does it look smaller on my wrist than yours??! Soooooo confused?!

djrm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
Norwich, UK
I agree this looks fantastic on you! So why when I was wearing the exact same band (I'm female with 145mm wrists...see earlier pic) does it look smaller on my wrist than yours??! Soooooo confused?!
The clue is in the title of the thread 'ignore the photos' lol :p

(or they told him it was a 38mm even though it was a 42mm haha)

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Ok so just had my appointment and here is my view.
I am sticking with the link strap on the 42mm SS. The Milanese is really nice but doesn't look as classy and Is a little fiddly to strap to the wrist so I have cancelled my order for the latter.
The 42mm is the way to go. That 38mm is just far too small in my view. The 42mm looks a lot bigger in the photos than in real life.
The sport model is nice but it does look cheap. The SS is a lot classier and you can see why it costs more.
That's just my humble opinion though. Others may think differently

djrm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
Norwich, UK
Ok so just had my appointment and here is my view.
I am sticking with the link strap on the 42mm SS. The Milanese is really nice but doesn't look as classy and Is a little fiddly to strap to the wrist so I have cancelled my order for the latter.
The 42mm is the way to go. That 38mm is just far too small in my view. The 42mm looks a lot bigger in the photos than in real life.
The sport model is nice but it does look cheap. The SS is a lot classier and you can see why is costs more.
That's just my humble opinion though. Others may think differently

Thanks for letting us know!! Agree on most things. The Milanese is a little fiddly agreed but after taking it off and putting it on about 10 times in the store it became quicker each time.

Elzbeth

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
The clue is in the title of the thread 'ignore the photos' lol :p

(or they told him it was a 38mm even though it was a 42mm haha)

Yes! It was one of the first bits of feedback I gave first thing this morning...ignore the photos! However, why two photos are different makes my head spin!

paulsdenton

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2010
Barton, Vermont USA
I really wanted a metal link bracelet but I figured I'd buy it later after I decide for sure that the Apple Watch is for me. I ordered a 42mm stainless version with the black sports band, which will be better for running anyway. So I'll probably end up with both bands.

Thanks for all your very helpful comments. Especially thread starter!!

TS19

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2015
Can anyone who's been to the store confirm that anyone can play with the Apple Watch regardless of having an appointment?

I want to use one tomorrow (with the iPad Mini thing), but I don't plan on buying one so I don't need to try one on.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008

This might seem weird but how wide is your wrist. Mine is 2 in. Yours looks about the same.

jmbrown91

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2011
Northampton, UK
Damn I knew I wanted to do something else while I was there! The majority of the ground floor is taken up by the watch table and the people either side doing the try on appointments.

I wasn't really paying attention to anything else to be completely honest but I wouldn't be surprised if they didnt have them on display with all the fuss being made of the watch.

They had no MacBooks in the store! Even staff were fairly surprised by this.

I tried on the 42mm Space Grey Sport - must admit it is very nice. For some reason it looked a lot smaller than what I was expecting, which therefore meant the 38mm was REALLY small in comparison - albeit only 4mm.

vito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
Manchester, UK
Had my appointment this morning at Manchester Arndale Apple Store.

Pics here http://imgur.com/a/8TamP

I agree with OP go and see it in person, the 42mm for my wrist (175 ish).

The 38 mm was too small IMO, the general consensus is the pics make it look bigger than it really is.

- Great service my Apple - very intimate experience
- No black SS models viable for try-on
- The watch is beautiful, light and extremely responsive.
- I don't understand the issues with not understanding the UI, I played on the demo units for 25-30 mins and was already use to it.
- Space Grey Sports version is perfect for me, looks even better in real-life!

----------

Didn't spot this on any version I saw or tried on. Seemed sold, well built and premium. The screen is gorgeous to look at too!

I was taken aback as to how well its been put together, worth the asking price IMO

TS19

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2015
Had my appointment this morning at Manchester Arndale Apple Store.

Pics here http://imgur.com/a/8TamP

I agree with OP go and see it in person, the 42mm for my wrist (175 ish).

The 38 mm was too small IMO, the general consensus is the pics make it look bigger than it really is.

- Great service my Apple - very intimate experience
- No black SS models viable for try-on
- The watch is beautiful, light and extremely responsive.
- I don't understand the issues with not understanding the UI, I played on the demo units for 25-30 mins and was already use to it.
- Space Grey Sports version is perfect for me, looks even better in real-life!

----------

I was taken aback as to how well its been put together, worth the asking price IMO
:eek:

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Can anyone who's been to the store confirm that anyone can play with the Apple Watch regardless of having an appointment?

I want to use one tomorrow (with the iPad Mini thing), but I don't plan on buying one so I don't need to try one on.

Yes you can. They have rows of watches to play with to your hearts content. So fill yer boots

jannette

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
Bishop's Stortford
Hmm! I have ordered the SS Milanese Loop 38 - I do have VERY thin wrists and have a job to find bangles or bracelets that do not fall off - I usually buy ones made for children. So I am hoping that the Milanese Loop will be tight enough for me.

gregorio84

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2015
no way

Yes! It was one of the first bits of feedback I gave first thing this morning...ignore the photos! However, why two photos are different makes my head spin!

I also think, that picture of BMox looks weird for 38mm, you send this 2 picture of yours AW - so one is 42mm and the other picture are both 38mm and 42 mm.

You have 145mm wrist

This guy - who has bigger wrist - 160mm is saying that he's wearing a 38mm

If i compare those pictures and do some logic....makes no sense.
how can she have smaller watch and smaller hand - and he has bigger hand and bigger watch??
i think that he's wearing a 42mm?

Attachments

• IMG_1320.PNG
    IMG_1320.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 146
  • image1.PNG
    image1.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 155
  • 3HuO5Lg.jpg
    3HuO5Lg.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 114

djrm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
Norwich, UK
I also think, that picture of BMox looks weird for 38mm, you send this 2 picture of yours AW - so one is 42mm and the other picture are both 38mm and 42 mm.

You have 145mm wrist

This guy - who has bigger wrist - 160mm is saying that he's wearing a 38mm

If i compare those pictures and do some logic....makes no sense.
how can she have smaller watch and smaller hand - and he has bigger hand and bigger watch??
i think that he's wearing a 42mm?

Maybe he added the 0 to his wrist measurement by mistake ;)

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
A little known fact around these parts is that humans come in all shapes and sizes. Wrist circumference isn't the whole part of the story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.