Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coollai

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
Singapore
I bought the OWC ram and I should get it tomorrow. Hopefully it works out fine! Initially, I wanted to purchase the G.skills ram from newegg.com but they only ship within US :(

BTW, I purchased 2 sets and I was entitled to a $10 discount for using Amazon checkout. :D

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
BTW, I purchased 2 sets and I was entitled to a $10 discount for using Amazon checkout

I purchased OWC RAM on Tuesday with checkout through Amazon and I didn't get any discount :mad:

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Those of you that filed for a return or exchange, did you call or fill out the online RMA form? I filled out the online form and I'm still waiting for a reply other than the automated confirmation response. (about a day and a half ago). Though it does say give them 48 hours, I was just curious about other folk's return/RMA process.

I had a problem with OWC NuRAM that was causing the now infamous iMac spontaneous shutdown issue.

They came through perfectly after they understood what was going on. I am still buying from them and still recommending them.

They handled my issue perfectly, IMHO.

jsilas

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
Washington State
Keep posting up with your success/issue stories regarding the OWC RAM. I have a couple coworkers that are interested, but like me they got timid about ordering when reading about the issues some have had.

I ordered the G.Skill RAM from Newegg yesterday for $99 - fingers are crossed that it's trouble-free.

aimbdd

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
East Cost
Its like anything, they all have problems. Also remember, lots of people come here to share their problems, almost no one comes here to share their successes ;)

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Keep posting up with your success/issue stories regarding the OWC RAM. I have a couple coworkers that are interested, but like me they got timid about ordering when reading about the issues....

The biggest issues are when trying to use the full 16 GB maximum on a 2010 iMac.

Doesn't have anything to do with the 1066 MHz memory they're selling for the MacBook Pro.

And even if you do have an issue, they'll obviously (from my own experience) drop you an RMA and assist with purchase of different RAM, in the blink of an eye.

coollai

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
Singapore
I purchased OWC RAM on Tuesday with checkout through Amazon and I didn't get any discount :mad:

Weird, I purchased on Tuesday as well. I just checked out OWC website and it wrote:
Special Offer:
Instant Bonus Savings
With Amazon Checkout
On orders $150 or higher

Maybe you want to check with them?

millerb7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Weird, I purchased on Tuesday as well. I just checked out OWC website and it wrote:
Special Offer:
Instant Bonus Savings
With Amazon Checkout
On orders $150 or higher

Maybe you want to check with them?

Purchasing just OWC ram should have only been $127... NOT $150. You don't qualify unless you hit $150.

I got it off when I did my SSD and RAM (total was like $300)

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
Purchasing just OWC ram should have only been $127... NOT $150. You don't qualify unless you hit $150.

I got it off when I did my SSD and RAM (total was like $300)

I believe he said he had bought two sets, thereby getting the discount.

blue88

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2009
So I've never replaced RAM before and before I go ahead and buy this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

I just want to verify that this will work in my mid-2009 2.26 GHz 13.3 inch MacBook Pro? I checked it against what the crucial website says I should replace it with and they seem to be the same... I guess what is throwing me off is that it is not under the "Mac" memory category in newegg.

Anyone have any feedback about G. Skill RAM?

Thanks!

jsoto

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
Chicago
If you scanned it against Crucial use their suggestions. I have purchased many Ram for PC's as I work in IT. I just got my first mac so I not experienced on the aluminum side. I went with OWC for the 8GB of Ram. Mine costed $139 if you purchased Parallels 6 for $39. So not a bad deal. Considering about a year or so it costed a whopping $1200 or so then $800 for 2x 4GB ram sticks from Apple. My Ram from OWC worked without a hitch. Switching ram sticks are pretty cheasy. OWC even has video tutorials if you need a how to. I would say stick with OWC for Mac or Crucial if you like. Ram is a very picky on certain hardware.

blue88

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2009
Thanks jsoto, I will definitely look at the OWC ram.

How is does the lifetime warranty work with the OWC ram? As in, are they difficult to get them to replace the ram modules?

It looks like I will probably order the OWC brand because as I researched more about it on the board, it seems like people are very happy with it overall.

millerb7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Thanks jsoto, I will definitely look at the OWC ram.

How is does the lifetime warranty work with the OWC ram? As in, are they difficult to get them to replace the ram modules?

It looks like I will probably order the OWC brand because as I researched more about it on the board, it seems like people are very happy with it overall.

Their lifetime warranty is easy. They do "advanced" replacement so they don't wait to receive and test your ram before sending you the new stuff... they just ship it out as you ship your old stuff back to them.

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
Well the price on OWC dropped yet again to $121 today. I ordered mine Tuesday for $126 and it was $133 last week.

More importantly the question remains, what is OWC memory???? I sent them an email Monday to ask what the difference was between OWC and NuRam. No answer so I called on Tuesday. I was told the difference is 1) OWC is private labeled major brand memory and NuRam is private labeled generic memory - both have lifetime warranty but OWC has advanced replacement. Then, yesterday I received an answer from my earlier email stating they are both exactly the same except for the warranty. This implies that any problems people are having with NuRam will be the same as OWC except the wait for replacement will be a few days less. Like everyone else, I just want ram that works for the life of my ownership - 2- 4 years.

Mac Composer

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
The RAM war continues. I usually buy from OWC, but some of the posts I've read make me a little nervous.

So I saw that ordering directly from Crucial, they just dropped their 8 GB kit price to $116.99. I've got a feeling that the prices haven't bottomed out yet, but I just ordered this one. I have confidence in the Crucial brand.

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
Received my 'OWC brand' today and installed 2 hours ago. All seemed well but then it started. 3x now the screen began to flicker like crazy. All I was doing was reading web pages with nothing else open to tax the computer. At the moment it is fine but my guard is up, especially after hearing all the other problems, and that the difference between the OWC and NuRam is only the 'advance' warranty.

Anyway, I'll see how it holds out over the weekend. If it keeps up I just prefer a refund, not an exchange. Hopefully it will just go away. I did tuck them in firmly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.