macOS 10.14 Mojave on Unsupported Macs Thread

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by dosdude1, Jun 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. TimothyR734 macrumors 6502a

TimothyR734

no I haven't had that issue what is your GPU did you try reinstalling the legacy video patch using the patch updater
    --- Post Merged, Aug 14, 2018 ---
    did you download the full installer?

2. Luckygreek macrumors regular

Luckygreek

3. thegurgz macrumors regular

thegurgz

I tried the script that someone suggested for Macs that the update doesn’t come up. Ran it, rebooted, too many corpses error, now finder isn’t working.

4. Luckygreek macrumors regular

Luckygreek

Let me start over
    yes I've done install several times, I let Software Update do once, all kinds of issues, start all over with USB, download Mojave, reboot to USB, Patched, I did restore from CCC backup (wouldn't boot), reformat USB, download Mojave install again, run USB, reboot, run patch from USB, reboot, Patch Updater in Utilities, this is where I'm at, wasn't this bad with prior beta.

Only thing I haven't done is Clean Install.

5. Badruzeus, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018

Badruzeus macrumors member

Badruzeus

It seems, new system installation (or updated) files being incomplete. The packages should to run "postinstall" script (rebuilding LaunchServices, XPC, dyld, CoreDuet database, touching SLE, etc.) before it succeeded. But if you run it directly from a running mac partition then choose another one as target installation, perhaps it'll get problem with system files permission (especially using diff. root accounts for each macOS'es). Or, even worse if lots of them not properly copied to new root partition (Frameworks, kexts, lib, etc). If all are going fine, once you rebooting it'll rebuild "prelinkedkernel", and done! I have no better suggestion than clean install. Thanks.

6. ASentientBot macrumors 6502

ASentientBot

Yep, so seems like the manual install via package + Installer.app doesn't work quite as well as the bootable USB. That's a shame because manually patching the USB is a really huge pain and I'm not a fan of automated patchers.

I'm sure you sorted out your admin issue, but I found the simplest way is to boot single-user mode and run
    mount -uw /
    rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

This forces the system to take you through Setup Assistant again and you can make another admin account. Then you can make your old account into an admin again and delete the temporary one. Perhaps there's a better solution though.
    Too many corpses error can be for any process. So if it's WindowServer, yes, you are screwed. But if it's some background process that doesn't matter so much, you might get further. It should say the process name that is crashing.

7. TimothyR734 macrumors 6502a

TimothyR734

I got to many corpses euro when I tried making a bootable usb using dosdude1's Mojave patcher using the full installer from the software update so I just ended up downloading Mojave from the patcher
    I would try doing a clean install make sure everything is running properly then do the ccc backup maybe something in the backup is not jiving with MacOS Mojave

8. dosdude1 thread starter macrumors 68000

dosdude1

Alright, I've finally finished it... APFS ROM Patcher is finally done! Some precautions:

- APFS ROM Patcher is to be used AT YOUR OWN RISK! There is always the possibility that your machine could become bricked as a result.
    - DO NOT apply APFS ROM Patcher if your machine already can boot from APFS volumes
    - If you get the following dialog, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you open your machine, remove your logic board if necessary, and verify the exact EEPROM type your machine has. Selecting the wrong EEPROM model will MOST LIKELY result in a bricked system!

Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 12.20.35 AM.png

Download here. Please be sure to post results!

9. pkouame macrumors 6502a

pkouame

Does provide a quick and dirty way to check out a beta. Yes, I did the same to create another admin account. This process also doesn't create a paired Recovery Partition but that may not be critical.

10. thegurgz macrumors regular

thegurgz

Booted into recovery, ran disk utility, exit code 8 and can’t be repaired. Clean install for the upteenth time.

11. Luckygreek macrumors regular

Luckygreek

thinking more along the lines of wiping SSD, clean install, test and see if same problem occurs after clean install, if that goes well do small increments from backup, testing & see if I isolate the problem, thanks Timothy

12. pkouame macrumors 6502a

pkouame

Yay! I'll try it this out on my 3,1 now. By the way, what changed? Thanks!

13. dosdude1 thread starter macrumors 68000

dosdude1

The original version had an issue where it would sometimes detect the wrong EEPROM model, causing a bricked system. I had to add the manual selection window to ensure proper EEPROM detection.

14. TimothyR734 macrumors 6502a

TimothyR734

A no go on my MacBook 5,2 Thank you though!!!!

Attached Files:

15. thegurgz macrumors regular

thegurgz

Will you add the APFS ROM Patcher to the regular patcher?

16. TimothyR734 macrumors 6502a

TimothyR734

that almost sounds like your boot partition of your ssd/hdd is corrupted your might try the partition either APFS or HFS

17. pkouame macrumors 6502a

pkouame

Great. Is my EEPROM easily visible if I pop open the hood on my grater? I think the old version created a backup of the old firmware, does it still do so?

18. saudor macrumors 6502a

radeon 5xxx and 6xxx dont have full acceleration. Been trying to figure this one out (i.e. disabling metal using whatevergreen kext) but so far no good. the kexts look like it’s loaded but there’s no CI and the system tries to render the graphics on the CPU (windowserver goes to 300-400%)

19. thegurgz macrumors regular

thegurgz

This error code means that the drive has corrupted. Only way to fix is to erase, reformat, and clean install. I have run into this corruption several times throughout Mojave and HS. Reinstalling DP6, going to attempt the APFS Rom patch, is successful use software updater, if not download DP7 and rewrite. Maybe one of these days I’ll be able to not mess up my drive!

20. pkouame macrumors 6502a

pkouame

An incomplete list of ROM locations for those who want to follow his recommendation:

https://www.allservice.ro/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2724

21. Luckygreek, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018

Luckygreek macrumors regular

Luckygreek

Yes, but this beta is by far the worst in terms of trying to render, what's also puzzling after (see photo prior post) I click on anything it redraws window, to the point I couldn't even grab a screenshot, had to take a pic with phone. For me window server is around 15-25% usually.
    I tried removing all the AMD/ATI Texts with Terminal from extensions folder with mixed results.
    Doesn't run as hot with this beta.
    EDIT;
    this beta has been tough from the beginning, kp's, ø, ?, and a host of other problems, I think I've tried 5 installs. Either Apple is getting closer to locking out some unsupported Mac's or I have something else going on.

22. TimothyR734 macrumors 6502a

TimothyR734

did you try reduce transparency in accessibility -display

23. Luckygreek macrumors regular

Luckygreek

Yes I did, light/dark mode as well, same results.

24. TimothyR734 macrumors 6502a

TimothyR734

did you try resxtreme page 205 post 5125 reduce it from 8 to 4
    any luck with the APFS Rom Patcher

25. Luckygreek macrumors regular

Luckygreek

did that as well, a note; if you (my experience) go into Night Shift it WILL turn your screen orange, I tried & had to use ResXtreme to get back to "normal".

As I posted earlier, I'm going to wipe SSD and do a "Clean Install" and see if that at least makes it some what usable, then migrate (in small increments) apps & see what happens.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.