macOS 10.14 Mojave on Unsupported Macs Thread

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by dosdude1, Jun 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. Badruzeus macrumors regular

Badruzeus

There should be error logs from "Window - Installer Logs", take a look into it and find what caused these issue.

2. Pralaya macrumors newbie

Pralaya

This too complicated for me, thanks, I quit.

3. monyker macrumors newbie

I used the Mojave patcher to create a USB installer (16GB Verbatim UFD), and tried booting to the USB drive on a Mid 2011 Mac mini and secondly an Early 2008 Mac Pro. High Sierra is currently installed on both, patched to date. When I attempt to boot to the Mojave USB flash drive, I see the Apple logo, the progress bar gets to around 50% or so relatively quickly, then from there it very slowly advances until it appears to be at 100%, but never moves beyond that screen. I did a verbose boot on the Mac Pro and eventually I see a lot of (apparently repeated) lines like:

com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] - <Notice>: Service exited due to SIGSEV
    com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] - <Notice>: Service only ran for 0 seconds, pushing respawn out for 10 seconds
    com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] - <Warning>: Service exited with abnormal code

I see many repeated entries like the above, for com.apple.trustd, com.apple.WindowServer and com.apple.pluginkit.pkd

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thank you!

4. krishnajha macrumors regular

krishnajha

MacBookPro8,1 the update (10.14.3) went fine from the system update app. Nothing to reinstall.

5. Rico, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019

Rico macrumors newbie

Just wanted to express my gratitude to @dosdude1 and the rest of the heroes who've made it possible for me to hack my aging iMac 10,1 (SSD, max RAM) to Mojave for some development needs not possible in a VM (my unkillable Mac Pro 3,1 3.2GHz 8 core is stalled on Sierra because HS was a bomb and my nVidia card turned out to be a pricey Mojave gamble fail while I await the new Mac Pros).

Other than the ugly display issues in Light Mode (couldn't take Dark Mode for more then 15 minutes), I seem to be in good shape -- I even have my iSight camera, WiFi, etc.

Giving some thought to sticking a $30 WiFi/BT 4.x card I have laying around (just need the $5 adapter) to get some extra Handoff and Continuity goodness; and I don't see why the family can't continue to use this for a year or two more (display issues ugliness aside).

Question: besides @dosdude1 's donation page, should I be throwing anyone else some love?

EDIT: PS: I love that after 18.5 years, I'm still a 'newbie'.

6. L Caputo, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019

L Caputo macrumors 6502

L Caputo

If you want to try again, this works.

Download the update.

Open the update.

Move the update.pkg to Desktop.

Open Terminal.

Enter pkgutil --expand now drag and drop the .pkg from the Desktop into the Terminal window and type after a space ~/Desktop/Expanded hit Return and wait, this takes a little while.

Open Expanded folder and then open Distribution file in Text Edit

Scroll down to the line

function InstallationCheck(prefix) {

enter the text return true; so it looks like this

function InstallationCheck(prefix) {return true;

Now save the changes

If you are trying to install the update to an HFS+ disk then there is another alteration you can make, before flattening and creating the package.

Again in the Distribution file scroll down to

function VolumeCheck(prefix) {

again enter return true; after the bracket, so it looks like this,

function VolumeCheck(prefix) {return true;

Save changes

Go back to Terminal enter pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/Expanded ~/Desktop/Modified.pkg

Using the .pkg extension is crucial.

One thing to note is if your Mac like mine has different OS's on it on other drives this method will tell you that all drives are able to install the update, DO NOT INSTALL ON ANY DISK/ PARTITION, ONLY INSTALL TO A DISK/ PARTITION THAT HAS MOJAVE ON IT. Select your disk wisely, and double check.

7. LuisN macrumors regular

The OTHER side.
    you must remove the board to be able to access the efi chip

8. avz macrumors member

9. Julian Marius Fairfax macrumors 6502a

Julian Marius Fairfax

CAT doesn't work on Mojave or even High Sierra.

10. mychalme macrumors newbie

Mac Mini Mid 2011. Upgraded to 10.14.3.

No audio after upgrade. Re-applied the patches, audio is now working.

Seems to be all ok.

11. patsio macrumors newbie

patsio

Facetime doesn't work for me, any ideas pls? (MBpro early 2011, 13")

12. Balaur, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019

Balaur macrumors newbie

Balaur

Same for my machine, updated through System Preferences, no need to apply post install patches.

13. dosdude1 thread starter macrumors 68000

dosdude1

With some upgrades, you can get some pretty ridiculous performance out of these systems: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/11524751

If you're curious as to how this was achieved, I made a video about the CPU upgrade process here:

14. VSEPR macrumors newbie

If I supplied the replacement chip, how much would I have to pay you to do this upgrade for me?

15. Bluep7 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone new poster here,

Thanks for all your effort I now have Mojave running on my Macbook Pro 6,2. All is working well there is just one glitch I wanted to ask if anyone has any ideas on how to fix, I think it has something to do with permissions but not sure. When the discrete graphics switches to the integrated graphics the cursor disappears for a few seconds/the screen freezes and I noticed there's some error messages in the console about the contextstored writing a value but can't due to the sandbox/permissions:

Console.png

Seems to only be when going from discrete to integrated, integrated to discrete is fine/has no freeze. It's not important as all is running well and it's great to be on the latest software, but just wanted to ask, thanks.

16. alphascorp macrumors member

alphascorp

Hi,
    The Supplemental Update 10.14.3 (18D109) went well on my MBP5,3 without having to re-apply the post install patches.
    However, in order to install this update, I had to modify the "Distribution" file contained in "macOSUpd10.14.3Supplemental.pkg" like this:

function InstallationCheck(prefix) {return true;

and this because I am on a HFS+ disk

function VolumeCheck(prefix) {return true;

these lines did not need to be modified because they were correct:

function FileSystem1(prefix) {
    if (my.target.filesystem &amp;&amp; my.target.filesystem.type == 'hfs') {
    return true;
    }
    return false;
    }

Capture d’écran 2019-02-09 à 16.19.13.png

17. MTBnBeer macrumors member

MTBnBeer

Supplemental Update 10.14.3 (18D109) installed flawlessly on my 17" Early 2008 MBP4,1 without having to re-apply the post install patches. :D

18. Tanith macrumors newbie

Thank you so much! I did not found out why my AirPods could not be connected to my old Mac mini despite it has a supported bluetooth modul. With changing the Bluetooth kexts from version 6.0.10 to the ones from a clean Mojave GoldenMaster (version 6.0.8) and updating the kext caches it know works perfectly fine.

19. avz macrumors member

Yeah, you did a great job! If I was in the states I would definitely asked you to do a BGA swap for me, even though I don't really need much power, it is still very cool!

20. Julian Marius Fairfax macrumors 6502a

Julian Marius Fairfax

Can you replace the CPU on a MacBook7,1?

21. h123 macrumors newbie

h123

Thank you very much. I didn't dare to disassemble the MB further - I just disassembled the keyboard so far.

My MB 5,2 dates back to Early 2009, yours too?

Best regards
    Heinz

22. Mikki77 macrumors newbie

Why do you think? I've got the exact same iMac 10,1, updated Airport Card and running all Continuity features by applying CAT.
    The only tweak you have to do is manually whitelisting your model (maybe you don't even need CAT after that anymore?!?). However, it works that way.

23. h123, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019

h123 macrumors newbie

h123

Thank you, LuisN. I am going to drill down within the next days.

24. olad macrumors regular

Forgive me, but how do I get into package? I see no 'Show Package Contents' for it with a right-click. Thank you for your help.

25. dosdude1 thread starter macrumors 68000

dosdude1

Yes, I can indeed. A 3.06 GHz T9900 can be installed.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.