Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Never gonna happen.

actually this is going to happen - if I remember correctly, Apple has signed a deal with some company to bring Direct Push connectivity to the iPhone quite some time ago. But I'm pretty sure this isn't the big thing that's coming next week.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Some overlap next year with CES...

So, looks like the expo is a bit earlier next year.

mwsf08sabato18.jpg

CES next year is Jan. 8-11, 2009

http://www.cesweb.org/about_ces/fact_sheet.asp
Future show dates
Jan. 8-11, 2009 (Thursday-Sunday)
Jan. 7-10, 2010 (Thursday-Sunday)
Jan. 6-9, 2011 (Thursday-Sunday)
Jan. 9-12, 2012 (Monday-Thursday)
Jan. 6-9, 2013 (Sunday-Wednesday)
Jan. 9-12, 2014 (Thursday-Sunday)
Jan. 8-11, 2015 (Thursday-Sunday)
Jan. 7-10, 2016 (Thursday-Sunday)
Jan. 5-8, 2017 (Thursday-Sunday)
Jan. 10-13, 2018 (Wednesday-Saturday)
Jan. 10-13, 2019 (Thursday-Sunday)
Jan. 9-12, 2020 (Thursday-Sunday)
Jan. 7-10, 2021 (Thursday-Sunday)
Jan. 6-9, 2022 (Thursday-Sunday)

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
Maby there going to send out a signifigant update for garage band :apple::apple:

I'd doubt it. After all, iLife '08 was just recently released. If anything, I'd assume it'd be something to do with ringtones, or maybe even Asteroid. Didn't the lawsuit against Thinksecret a few years ago have something to do with them outing Asteroid?

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
I could see Apple entering the eBook market with books sold on iTunes. You could read them on your current iPods or get the dedicated eBook reader which is basically an pocket book sized iPod touch with an e-Ink screen. Swipe to change pages, just like it were pages in a book (save the finger licking maybe). Have a dedicated switch for backlight (e-Ink is easy to read without backlight). Have it display (and search) PDFs, basically a slimmed down version of Preview and maybe TextEdit for quickly taking notes with the touch keyboard.

Here's a quick mockup:

ibooktouchvr9.png

- e-Ink display
- switchable backlight
- syncs via iTunes
- displays eBooks, PDFs, Pages documents, etc. all in black and white
- multitouch interface (ping to zoom, swipe to scroll and change pages)
- take notes with touch keyboard, basic drawing (shapes, line too)
- scientific calculator (plots graphs too)

Come to think of it, this would be great for high school students.

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
Here's my totally random speculation based on absolutely nothing:

What if Garageband was being used in conjunction with some sort of video game in the Guitar Hero/Rock Star vein? Hasn't Apple been making a slightly bigger push towards the gaming market in the past two years? Those type of games are huge right now and maybe Apple is going to try to ride the momentum. Then again, Apple is more of a trend-setter than a follower.

Superperson

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
The GarageBand screen appears to be running Tiger...it has a white menu bar and a blue Apple logo...

jragosta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004

I'd be perfectly happy if they offered the color in all three configurations. It just doesn't make sense to me why they don't do that.

It's not that they "can't" do that. It's that they "won't" do that. It's all about branding and product differentiation.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Something in the air... a huge scream of rage and disappointment as Steve unveils the details of renting a movie from iTunes: you click to rent, they charge your card, you get the receipt, you click receipt to STREAM it when ready. Please tell me they can't be that stupid!!!!!!

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
I think that Garageband is just Apple's concession regarding the locked iPhone. Put your user made ring tones la di da. Someone already said this but I forgot who.

Rumbur

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2008
Can someone help to decode this bar code?

I found it on FlickR a while ago..

Attachments

• IMG_6203.jpg
    IMG_6203.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 116

M!K

macrumors regular
May 12, 2007
Canada
This time of year is so exiting... Time when people are waiting and stressing to hear announcements from Steve for the things that they dream.
I'm one of them.
I really hope for a 16gb iPhone. And i can't wait to see all the new stuff.

sailnavy

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
NYC
Something in the Air

I'm betting that the new slimmed down MacBook will have an always on connection to the internet. How could they do this you ask? Lets see, partnered with at&t, so why not put a cellular access chip in the new macbook, or all the macbooks, and let you connect to the internet via at&t wifi or at&t cellular via a cell plan you can buy. Either way it's an always on connection, it would fit in with the "Back to my Mac." Take your ultra portable with you, and go back to your files on your main machine over a secure connection whenever you need to. Something's in the air, and it's changing they way you use your computer. Where do I sign up to get rid of the tethered connection, or the USB dongle. Neither of which work well. Don't want to use it, no problem don't put a SIM in it.

tgildred

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Yeah I guess it could be but iPods on planes isn't what I call really exciting stuff. I dont see it selling much more Apple stuff. And I tend to refuse to believe that it isn't new hardware because...because...because I want new hardware! :D

iPods on a Plane! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.