Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mike07905

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2006
Ahhh, so trolling is something that doesn't fit with your entrenched world view...

I it now, someone talking about an Iphone (iPhone™) and the whole situation about owning an Iphone (iPhone™) through the legitimate contracts being not entirely ideal to the point of actually changing to another device without these shortcomings (which was not by any means an easy decision), is not the least bit relevant to a forum about the Iphone (iPhone™). Because the Iphone (iPhone™) is beyond criticism... sorry I forgot and stand corrected...

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2009
This forum has turned into a bunch of hecklers. Gessh! Blackberry and Windows Mobile put up with the same thing when the iPhone first came out. We are just getting a taste of our own medicine. There's a new leading technology out there.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
So if I go to a blackberry forum and brag about the iPhone, I'm trolling, but if I brag about the iPhone on an iPhone forum I'm NOT trolling. Each cellular phone has pros and cons. I still enjoy using my iPhone, but the software is dated, and the hardware need a re-design (exterior) I hope I'm not considered a troll because I voice my opinions.

Apple has some nice products, but paying $199 for a laptop with an old slow 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo seems like a major rip off to me. Esp because Intel is discontinuing the C2D later this year.

On the bright side, I really like the seamless design. I love OSX, the battery and trackpad. But all products have weak spots and good spots. A member who has been here for 4 years, can let us know. Just because a lot of you here are fanboys, doesn't mean the iPhone is perfect and flawless.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
@kdarling: I think making a forum for the Android, Pre, whatever posts would be a great idea. Most of us come to the iPhone forums to hear about the iPhone. We DON'T mind, contrary to the OP's opinion, hearing negatives about the iPhone, but I think we do mind having to hear about other phones over and over again. We get it.

So, having the mods move these kind of threads where they're welcome would really help. I'd. Imagine the trolls would lose interest as well.

mike07905

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2006
You're right... I should have just slagged the iPhone off without mentioning any other phone... I should have kept that to myself... The fact that someone who loves these things has actually gone so far as to switch to something else is in no way relevant to the Iphone story.
For me it was a pretty momentous moment... It almost didn't feel like me anymore... I haven't bought any non apple branded technology since 2003!

I still love it... I have given it to my girlfriend, she loves it too... but reading what some of you have had to say tonight has made the grieving process easier, and for that I thank you. I also see where those who have previously dismissed me, as a reality distorting apple fan boy, in the past may have been coming from... just a tiny bit...

It has been an evening of revelations... thankyou all!

Suspended
Apr 4, 2009
After owning the original Iphone since I picked one up in the states before the official UK launch and the heady days of the original TurboSim unlock, I have switched to the HTC Desire.

I have loved having a phone that could do things that others could only dream of for nearly three years. I have a macbook and an imac, and have converted several people to the Iphone... but when it came down to my contract renewal with vodafone (who have recently started offering the Iphone properly) I couldn't see how the Iphone was worth £15 a month more per month (the Iphone deals are ridiculously overpriced), for less processing power, less than half the RAM (than 3gS and by the looks of the tear down the next gen Iphone), no multitasking, no flash (Why not just build in a button to switch it off if we want the extra battery life and don't mind staring at blank boxes until HTML5 takes over, or even put a message on screen warning that if the device crashes it is all adobes fault...), and a distinctly dubious app approval policy.

The Desire (apart from the stupid name, and the fact that its not apple) is great BTW. I didn't think there would be life after Iphone, but there is...

4.0/4G should blast HTC out of the competition.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Congrats... now tell me, what was the real reason to come to an iPhone based forum and taunt on Android? Trolling? Nah, too obvious....

I appreciated the OP's take on the other major platform as I will be considering it as well.

Your response has added zero value. If you don't like the thread, why post in it?

kdarling

macrumors P6
So, having the mods move these kind of threads where they're welcome would really help.

Yes.

Actually, I thought there _was_ a phone comparison subgroup here, but I can't find it. Must've been thinking of HoFo.

I'd imagine the trolls would lose interest as well.

I've been online for decades and have seen real trolls.

I don't think there are any trolls here.

More like just a lot of paranoia and rude behavior.

A lot of it comes from the same handful of immature responders. We all know who they are. If they disappeared tomorrow nobody would miss them, and it'd be a nicer place to boot.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm an android fan, but these types of posts/threads are not needed or called for here in the iphone forum. You want to wax eloquently about android then PM me, I'll provide some decent android forums. Otherwise lets keep the iphone forum focused on, well, the iPhone

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
Because the whole thing was tinged with a little sadness that I just had to get off my chest...

I mean obviously I recognise that the Desire is a blatant rip of (even does multi touch)... and that apple are probably perfectly right to sue them for multiple patent infringements...

But it is a great phone (and I am a paid up mac fan boy...

You have to understand, even if you own 20 Apple products and have Steve's poster hanging by your bed, the moment you switch to Android you are no longer welcome. ;)

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
Sorry... someone is going to have to explain what a Troll is... (I am assuming it is not the least bit Scandinavian...)
Did you ever see the movie The Village?? Just imagine the Village dwellers as Apple Fanboys. That is what you have walked into here. I have been an Iphone owner since original launch day. Last week I switched to Verizon because of AT&T not the phone. My boss said if I missed another call out I was history. I still have my Ipad 3G.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
I'm an android fan, but these types of posts/threads are not needed or called for here in the iphone forum. You want to wax eloquently about android then PM me, I'll provide some decent android forums. Otherwise lets keep the iphone forum focused on, well, the iPhone
When did you become a Moderator??:cool:

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (OS4.0b3): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/8A260b Safari/531.21.10)

jav6454 said:
Congrats... now tell me, what was the real reason to come to an iPhone based forum and taunt on Android? Trolling? Nah, too obvious....

So basically what you're saying is that the admins should enforce a strictly pro-Apple and anti-everythingelse policy and prohibit forum members from sharing their experiences with each other if those experiences can in any way be construed as anything but pro-Apple. Is that about right? I have to say, I'm glad you're not in charge here. ;)

To the OP, thanks for sharing your experience. I've thought about making the switch to Android but I'd seriously have to weigh the pros and cons - I'm so entrenched in the iTunes/App Store ecosystem, it would be hard to switch. Which I'm sure is exactly what Apple wants. :rolleyes:

StuddedLeather

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Brooklyn, NYC

So some of you guys ARE sane . . . good to know.

jkjkjk! Lol :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.