Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mademan12321

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
Nope, iPhone 4 is my first.

I WILL say this - regardless of what happens in the future I will NOT order on launch day. I'll wait a month or two and roll into the store and walk right out w/ my new toy. This process was for the birds.

Feeling the same way. This is truly stressful and if you tried with ATT then there's a 5/10 chance that you really corned up the hole. I guess I'm used to Apple running a crowded but manageable system of orders. :mad:

NikeTalk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
This is exactly what I'm trying to say and ask. I just can't imagine people are willing to pay three bills or more for gently used hardware with minor imperfections over a new device with all new tech that's never been used for similar price or cheaper. I must be missing something, no?

It's the "almighty" iPhone and if you can get once in like new condition at a cheaper price then why not? The $599/$699 price is definitely not attractive so that's why there's a hot resale market. Also being unlocked and jailbroken helps the market too. Just know there will ALWAYS be someone willing to pay top dollar for an iPhone. Keep yours in good condition and you'll probably only have to pay $200 max for iPhone 5. Not too bad for an iPhone upgrade and the latest one.

avediswolf

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Ohio
I have an old Motorola.
When the first iPhone came out, I held out for larger capicity, but then that came out, and I knew a 3G model would be there soon.
Well... The 3G came out, but I knew in a year something better would come out, so I waited...
The 3GS.. Sweet... But it's so new, I'll wait for the bugs to be worked out, and the price to come down...
It did, but man its getting close to that mark where a new one will come...
Now the iPhone 4 is here, but something tells me I should wait for the next one.

What do you think?

(Yes, I'm kidding...)

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm waiting for iPhone V.

I'm not upgrade eligible until 3/11/2011 (since I got my 3Gs on 6/30/09) and I don't want to pay $600 off contract.
Granted I could sell my 3Gs for say $300 but that still leaves $300 (for a 16GB).

How do you guys manage to get a new phone every year at the $199/$299 price?

I am only 1 year into my 3GS contract but ATT is letting me upgrade at the discounted price. Just call ATT or check online if you are upgrade eligible. You probably are--don't assume you are not.

That said, I find ZERO reasons to upgrade at this time and it all has to do with my iPad. I hardly ever use my iPhone now. I find it to be a joke other than for talking on the phone, which I loathe. Talking while looking at someone on the phone would be a nightmare for me. People really want to do that??? Surfing and using apps is seriously a huge joke on such a small device.

So no, no iPhone 4 for me. I also skipped the 3G unit and used my original iPhone for a full two years. I still have it in its box, in pristine condition. I would never sell it.

millertime021

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
AZ
I am only 1 year into my 3GS contract but ATT is letting me upgrade at the discounted price. Just call ATT or check online if you are upgrade eligible. You probably are--don't assume you are not.

That said, I find ZERO reasons to upgrade at this time and it all has to do with my iPad. I hardly ever use my iPhone now. I find it to be a joke other than for talking on the phone, which I loathe. Talking while looking at someone on the phone would be a nightmare for me. People really want to do that??? Surfing and using apps is seriously a huge joke on such a small device.

So no, no iPhone 4 for me. I also skipped the 3G unit and used my original iPhone for a full two years. I still have it in its box, in pristine condition. I would never sell it.

I just did the *NEW# on my iPhone and it says, "...you may qualify on 03/01/2011..."

So basically I'll have to wait. oh well. haha I'm content with my i7 MBP and 3Gs.

Eye4Desyn

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
U, S, and A

As it turns out, I'm only halfway into my 3GS contract and spend less than $80/month for my line and therefore I'm not eligible for full upgrade pricing until 02/20/2011. By that time, it would be roughly 4 months away from an iPhone 5 release. But then there's the rumored CDMA iPhone for Verizon, possibly Sprint - maybe both sometime in 1Q 2011. There could be a nicely improved feature set for that device because it would operate on a completely different standard. We'll see.

headcheese

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
Sold my jailbroken/unlocked 16gb 3g on eBay last Friday...buy it now $369.99 :cool:

So no, I will not be waiting. It's been hard enough going 4 days without LOL

BlondeBuddhist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2010
I will wait for the iPhone 5 while using the iPhone 4.

With the re-sale value so high, it doesn't pay to wait for the "perfect" model. Just sell, upgrade, sell, upgrade...

Blonde Buddhist

Prolif1k

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2009
This is exactly what I'm trying to say and ask. I just can't imagine people are willing to pay three bills or more for gently used hardware with minor imperfections over a new device with all new tech that's never been used for similar price or cheaper. I must be missing something, no?

Because when people buy them from you, they don't have to sign a contract with AT&T. A lot of people find that appealing.

DJ ReFRESH

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
I will wait for the iPhone 5 while using the iPhone 4.

With the re-sale value so high, it doesn't pay to wait for the "perfect" model. Just sell, upgrade, sell, upgrade...

Exactly.

Besides, I think iPhone 4 has enough updates over even the 3Gs (I'm currently on a 3G) to justify the upgrade. Unless Apple plans to make another large significant leap next year, the iPhone 4 is only really limited due to carrier issues.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
Nope. iPhone 4 will be my first iphone. As soon as it's available for pre-order here in Canada I'll be doing so!

mitsitsad

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
Because when people buy them from you, they don't have to sign a contract with AT&T. A lot of people find that appealing.

or u can unlock it and sell it on ebay which attracts even more customers

last week i sold my 2 year old 3G 16gb for $315 and my GFs 8gb 3G for $260 - now we can both get brand new phones for almost zero cost (with 2yr)

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
I am still on the fence. I had planned to sell my 3GS and buy 4 when it is available in my country. However, since 3GS is running 4.0 really well and faster than ever, I think I might just wait. There is not much 4 will be able to do that a 3GS can't at this time, (HD cameras and front facing camera I couldn't care less about them, I never use them), and the only thing I want from 4 is retina display. Will see when it is announced in my country.

CandyCane23049

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2009
I've only had my 3GS for 8 months now and I/m eligible for an upgrade on March 11, 2011. My fear is do I do the upgrade or just wait until later when a new iphone might be announce. :confused:

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
I choose to live in the present and enjoy. My iPhone 4 due tomorrow will be lots of fun.

iPhone 5? You're jumping the gun.

There is no guarantee of just when a new model will be released or what it will be called. Good luck.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I get a new one every year. My phone bill is huge (have a family plan with 4 lines), so they always let me upgrade early.

I sell mine on Craigslist for more than the cost of an upgrade, so I've never had to spend money on a new phone (except for the first gen iPhone... that was a chunk of change).

I sell them jailbroken and/or unlocked.

People like not having to have a contract, and I keep my phones in very good condition. :)

Soo... nope. I will not wait for the next phone... unless it turns out to be the elusive "white phone."

Even then.... nope. I'll just give up and buy a black one. ;)

mysticbluebmw

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Yeah, I hear ya. I think waiting for iPhone 5 is smart, but then again, I'm sure there will be some facets I think could be improved, so maybe just wait for iPhone 6.

Oh, but there will certainly be some issues with iPhone 6, so maybe best to wait for iPhone 7.

Actually, there might be something I don't like like in iPhone 7, so probably for the best if I just get iPhone 8. Yah, that's it, iPhone 8 will be the one.

Oh, I don't know, maybe they will have all the kinks worked out by iPhone 9, so that's probably the one to get.

No, I'm sure iPhone 24 will be PERFECT, so I'll wait for that one....but, then again.....

There are many of us who will MAKE MONEY by selling the previous iPhone as long as AT&T is generous with subsidizing, so for it makes no sense not to upgrade for long as many years as we can do it...I for one love AT&T.

BlondeBuddhist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2010
Exactly.

Besides, I think iPhone 4 has enough updates over even the 3Gs (I'm currently on a 3G) to justify the upgrade. Unless Apple plans to make another large significant leap next year, the iPhone 4 is only really limited due to carrier issues.

And for Apple diehards, ANY hardware upgrade warrants an purchase to check it out. I was sold 5 minutes after my Son's mother walked in the door with matching 3G's.

The GS took away my need to jailbreak (decent video), and added much appreciated speed.

No matter what the upgrade means to me, I can be assured there are thousands of people who think it's worth buying.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
But for Apple bumping up my upgrade date I would be waiting for the iP5. I guess I'm on target for the iP6 now.

Eye4Desyn

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
U, S, and A

So how do you avoid ETFs when selling an iPhone to someone else? I mean just weeks ago, AT&T raised ETFs substantially - so to me, that definitely cuts into sale price of said used device. How is this smart? How is anyone making any money to put toward new hardware under the above model with that kind of restriction in place? I'm clearly not seeing this. Can someone explain, because if there is a logical work-around then I'm all in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.