Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
Since you seem to be a materials expert, why exactly would you prefer steel to aluminum? More importantly, what is the benefit of metal over a high-quality plastic? Do you have hardness figures to cite? How about providing a deformation curve or two to show that the metals will elastically deform better? Or more to the point, citing reasonable tolerances for what you'd expect in the materials used? Also, I'm sure you've taken into account the fact that the plastic case will allow for better reception, right?

Perhaps you don't own a 3G or 3GS?.....the plastic has been a horrible experience for most considering the cracking issue....

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
I haven't seen an Apple product released yet, where some people haven't said the new product was less than what they expected, or didn't meet their hopes/wishes for it. I personally love the iPhone 4 and wish I had a Dolorean to get to June 24th. Anticipation kind of sucks and then if there are supply shortages and I have to wait even longer, AHHHH!:mad:

To counter the supply shortages, wait in line :D. That's what I'll be doing. I think i'll have to be there earlier than 4AM this time to get the same #14 spot in line ;)

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
it was defiantly worth it, its everything we expected and just a bit more. ill be buying one because the money i get from selling my 3gs will cover the coast. i want one now but i cant decide on the collor ahhhhhhhhhahhhhhhhhahhhh:eek:

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
i mean seriously. I am an apple fanboy, and the iPad had my same opinion, but I bought it, i'm not saying i wouldnt buy this, because i will eventually, but i am one of those who didnt get an early upgrade, but the new iPhone isn't worth paying full price for it.

all thats new is Front Facing camera, improved camera, HD recording, better graphics.

seems like an 3GS 2 to me.

Don't flame me, I LOVE apple. Just dont think the anticipation was worth it.

What do you guys think?

Would you care to enlighten us all on what would have made the anticipation worth it for you? Seems pretty dang awesome to me.

cadman95

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
We will see the iPhone on another carrier eventually in the US. Apple is a company and companies like money.

There's lots of money to be made by supporting another carrier. It's not really hard for a common person to see this as a reality.

Note to common person.

Apple has required huge monetary commitments from ATT. Yes, they like money and they are reaping huge rewards from their ATT relationship. They do not like cellular providers and ATT has let them run the show. Until they allow ATT to benefit from the Apple required commitments AND there is another US carrier willing to dictated to by Apple, or sales of iPhones are disappointing to Apple; don't expect another US carrier.

If you don't like the network - don't buy the phone

even a common person can see that

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Jobs calls it iPhone 4 instead of iPhone HD to confuse the average Joe into thinking that it is a 4G device.... deceptive!

Sprint has the only 4G device, and I switched to it last Friday. I still use Mac's, but no more "walled garden" iPhone toys.

Sprint is the one that is deceptive since WiMax is not technically 4G. But the iPhone 4 is so named b/c it's the 4th iPhone version. How is that deceptive? If it were named the iPhone 4HD, that would be deceptive b/c it's not HD, despite the improved resolution. Also it would be confusing b/c of the iPads HD apps -- now that name is deceptive b/c the iPad is not HD. At least yet.

sal

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
the upgrade is always bigger when you skip a generation. going from iphone 2G to 3GS was a big deal. going from 3G to 3GS was not.

the jump from 3GS to iphone 5 will be a bigger deal than jumping to iphone 4. Next year I will upgrade. I just hope my 3GS 32gb holds well in resale value for next year.

for those current iphone 3G users, I think the extra features are well worth the upgrade to iphone 4. The iOS4 by itself is worth it.

johny5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2007
UK
+1

I have an iPhone 3G and going from the 3G to the 4 is HUGE. I can't be more excited right now. All you people being negative Nancys can't bring me down.

+1 more! I am in the same boat as you.

So pleased I resisted the ipad now, this is practically an ipad in your pocket +more.

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Perhaps you don't own a 3G or 3GS?.....the plastic has been a horrible experience for most considering the cracking issue....

You misunderstood my point--while the 3G(s) plastic may have been substandard, it's asinine to blindly assume that a generalized idea of a metal is better than a generalized idea of a plastic. There are all sorts of different types/grades of materials, metal and plastic alike. As such, without knowing/understanding the specifics of the materials in use, the poster to whom I responded cannot possibly have known what he/she was talking about. (/end materials engineering rant)

sal

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
+1

I have an iPhone 3G and going from the 3G to the 4 is HUGE. I can't be more excited right now. All you people being negative Nancys can't bring me down.

yep, skipping a generation is always a great improvement. 3G to iphone 4, will be a worthwhile upgrade. For me going from original 2G to 3GS was a big deal.

LimeyBastard

macrumors regular
May 25, 2010
I'm also going from 3G to 4 (actually I'm going from Razr to 4 as my old, beat up 3G got ripped off a couple of weeks ago).

I'm curious about the GPS. The 3G's GPS was barely usable because it was so slow -- was the 3GS's an improvement? Is this the same setup? What is that gyro thing? Is it just for playing games or does it have any practical function w/r/t GPS?

The video chat I don't see myself having any use for at all, but the 5mp camera with HD video seems cool -- and I was impressed by the general thinness.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
You're assuming they have a choice right now. As far as anyone knows, they are still under contract with AT&T. Steve said a few days ago that multiple carriers WOULD be a good thing, hence I have no doubt that's what they would like to do. And why not? More carriers = more potential customers = more revenue. Apple's not the one that loses out by having an unlocked iPhone or at least having it available on multiple carriers. It's AT&T that loses.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
Jobs showed 9 new features said there were 100 new features on the phone so there is plenty more to it... hopefully

9 New features, 3 of which were announced already so he honestly could not find 3 other ones to replace the ones we know about? How good could the other 91 be if he had to duplicate a couple from the iO/S 4 announcement?

I was eagerly looking forward to upgrading to a iPhone 4, 64GB. But now I am just going to wait till my contract is up in December and decide what to do at that point in time.

nasr91

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
very disapponted too. I was waiting for the keynote hoping against hope that another carrier would get the phone. Its not that I dont like At&T its that they have no service in my area...... I spent the money to go to At&t on a cheaper phone just to see if it would work in my area.....not even a hint of a signal. %^&K I wanted that phone ! i love it! Like others Ill have to begrudgingly go to android.................:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.